Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-01-2020, 17:07   #1
Max H

Good Reason ?

Hi,
Last year i applied for my first ever shotgun licence, which went smoothly and quickly. I bought a Browning U/O 12 gauge. I use this for ducks, clays and as below

This gun is 2 3/4 inch chambers.

I have been out fox shooting and feel that i would be better with a semi auto with 3 inch chamber with the ability to use heavier loads ( more humane i feel) plus would be better for the duck shooting, so use and keep the U/O for clays

What would be the best way to word this on an application.

Also i am a member of a club affiliated to NARGC, i am hearing the local Super now wants two land owners as well as your club membership!! Didnt do that last year, just my club membership was good enough.
Advertisement
13-01-2020, 17:15   #2
Grizzly 45

You are good to go with your previous reasons for the O/U with the semi.Just point out you want the O/U for clays and the semi for hunting.
As for the Super wanting two landowners as well... An odd one,as being a member of a gun club implies you have land owners permission to hunt over their lands.So why they would want this extra is odd alright.
Thanks from:
13-01-2020, 17:16   #3
Max H

Word is, The Super at New Ross wants both, Club plus putting two lnd owners down
13-01-2020, 17:30   #4
cavan shooter

Thats over and beyond whats required, get onto Chris Gavican if thats the case.
13-01-2020, 17:34   #5
Max H

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavan shooter View Post
Thats over and beyond whats required, get onto Chris Gavican if thats the case.
Is he still compensation fund manager ??
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-01-2020, 18:21   #6
cavan shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max H View Post
Is he still compensation fund manager ??
Yep.
Thanks from:
13-01-2020, 18:58   #7
The pigeon man

Your reasons are perfectly good. Apply as normal with your gun club membership. No need for separate letters with landowners' permission.

The idea of two permissions is rubbish. If you have a 20 acre field with few rabbits it's good enough reason to license a firearm.

I've heard loads of these made up rules that you need over a hundred acres. It has no legal standing.
13-01-2020, 19:31   #8
tudderone

They still don't learn do they ? The old Judge Dredd mentality - "I am the law, never mind what that crowd in the dail says ".
Thanks from:
13-01-2020, 20:19   #9
cookimonster

All valid points in the previous replies.
I would add this , don't ham string your applications or renewals by boxing in your reasons for each gun.

The o/u will be for hunting, vermin control and clay pigeon shooting.

The semi auto will be for hunting, vermin control and clay pigeon shooting.

Both serve the same purpose but each in thier own right is more suitable for specific tasks. The o/u is more suitable to rough shooting etc etc and clay pigeons, while the semi is good for hide work and vermin.

If your Super is tricky don't give him a rope or stick to tie you down then beat you with.

Ref the land owners permission, a letter from your Club Secretary will suffice. If your club doesn't operate a membership number use your NARGC member number in lieu. If the Gaurds look for a PULSE number tell them that a gun club doesn't have one. This request by the Guards for a club PULSE number has become more and more common in the last few years. 99.9% of the time when its explained to them the don't pursue it.
Until you, yourself, are asked for the 'land owners permission I would ignore it. Do get a letter of membership and enclose it with your paperwork. By rights the Gaurds should accept a copy of your NARGC Compensation Membership Card as proof of club membership but it is both my own experince and my role on the club committee that has shown it not to be the case.

Best of look with your app ..

PS I to have a o/u and semi shotgun and use them as above.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion