Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Reason ?

• 13-01-2020 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Hi,
    Last year i applied for my first ever shotgun licence, which went smoothly and quickly. I bought a Browning U/O 12 gauge. I use this for ducks, clays and as below

This gun is 2 3/4 inch chambers.

I have been out fox shooting and feel that i would be better with a semi auto with 3 inch chamber with the ability to use heavier loads ( more humane i feel) plus would be better for the duck shooting, so use and keep the U/O for clays

What would be the best way to word this on an application.

Also i am a member of a club affiliated to NARGC, i am hearing the local Super now wants two land owners as well as your club membership!! Didnt do that last year, just my club membership was good enough.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,932 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

You are good to go with your previous reasons for the O/U with the semi.Just point out you want the O/U for clays and the semi for hunting.
    As for the Super wanting two landowners as well... An odd one,as being a member of a gun club implies you have land owners permission to hunt over their lands.So why they would want this extra is odd alright.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Max H

Word is, The Super at New Ross wants both, Club plus putting two lnd owners down

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Thats over and beyond whats required, get onto Chris Gavican if thats the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Max H

Thats over and beyond whats required, get onto Chris Gavican if thats the case.

Is he still compensation fund manager ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Max H wrote: »
    Is he still compensation fund manager ??

Yep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

Your reasons are perfectly good. Apply as normal with your gun club membership. No need for separate letters with landowners' permission.

The idea of two permissions is rubbish. If you have a 20 acre field with few rabbits it's good enough reason to license a firearm.

I've heard loads of these made up rules that you need over a hundred acres. It has no legal standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

They still don't learn do they ? The old Judge Dredd mentality - "I am the law, never mind what that crowd in the dail says ".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

All valid points in the previous replies.
    I would add this , don't ham string your applications or renewals by boxing in your reasons for each gun.

The o/u will be for hunting, vermin control and clay pigeon shooting.

The semi auto will be for hunting, vermin control and clay pigeon shooting.

Both serve the same purpose but each in thier own right is more suitable for specific tasks. The o/u is more suitable to rough shooting etc etc and clay pigeons, while the semi is good for hide work and vermin.

If your Super is tricky don't give him a rope or stick to tie you down then beat you with.

Ref the land owners permission, a letter from your Club Secretary will suffice. If your club doesn't operate a membership number use your NARGC member number in lieu. If the Gaurds look for a PULSE number tell them that a gun club doesn't have one. This request by the Guards for a club PULSE number has become more and more common in the last few years. 99.9% of the time when its explained to them the don't pursue it.
    Until you, yourself, are asked for the 'land owners permission I would ignore it. Do get a letter of membership and enclose it with your paperwork. By rights the Gaurds should accept a copy of your NARGC Compensation Membership Card as proof of club membership but it is both my own experince and my role on the club committee that has shown it not to be the case.

Best of look with your app ..

PS I to have a o/u and semi shotgun and use them as above.

Advertisement