Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

But what about World Toilet Day

• 08-03-2019 9:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,102 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Happy International Womens Day

Fun Fact: International Men’s Day & World Toilet Day are both on November 19th.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

What I'm thinking is - who nominates all these days?
    Is there an institute that says, "right, we don't have a World Laptop Day, let's make it 4th of June"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Ellen Black Shop

biko wrote: »
    Is there an institute that says, "right, we don't have a World Laptop Day, let's make it 4th of June"?

Hallmark - to fill in the Gaps for holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

International Men’s Day & World Toilet Day are both on November 19th.

Both do the dirty jobs that no one else wants to do ;) and both are crucial to civilization

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

biko wrote: »

Important men sitting in a smoke filled room in Geneva

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,102 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Hallmark - to fill in the Gaps for holidays

Would you buy a hallmark card - Happy World Toilet day?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

They could make the card out of toilet paper so we could show our appreciation for toilets by wiping our arses with the card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ariadne

Happy International Womens' Day to all of the lovely ladies! (myself included :p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Generally actually think all the days are pretty great ideas. They bring attention to global issues. Eg men's day, things like health come to the fore. Toilets day highlights global sanitation issues that most people are oblivious to. Book day, the importance of reading. All are important. Then bizarrely a handful of guys get outraged by Women's Day. It's just pretty cringey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

That's wet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,311 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

JMNolan wrote: »
    Both do the dirty jobs that no one else wants to do ;) and both are crucial to civilization

And weirdly it's normally women who end up cleaning up the sh1t from both.

• Advertisement

batgoat wrote: »
    Generally actually think all the days are pretty great ideas. They bring attention to global issues. Eg men's day, things like health come to the fore. Toilets day highlights global sanitation issues that most people are oblivious to. Book day, the importance of reading. All are important. Then bizarrely a handful of guys get outraged by Women's Day. It's just pretty cringey.
    Men’s day barely gets attention contrasting to IWD
    Article in the paper like this
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/stop-saying-you-don-t-like-condoms-and-29-other-ways-men-can-make-women-s-lives-easier-1.3817577?mode=amp

More hypocarcy again from the beloved feminists but sure I’ll have a few snarky comments from the woke baes here .... reverse the genders of that article like how women can make males life easier would never see the light of day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,226 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Was just about to post the aforementioned article above.

Worst piece of drivel I've ever read from the Irish times. Honestly I encourage reading it, simply as a pure example as to why feminism is sha*t on to the extent it is sometimes.

Seriously seriously poor from a supposed broadsheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/stop-saying-you-don-t-like-condoms-and-29-other-ways-men-can-make-women-s-lives-easier-1.3817577?mode=amp

More hypocarcy again from the beloved feminists but sure I’ll have a few snarky comments from the woke baes here .... reverse the genders of that article like how women can make males life easier would never see the light of day

Most of that is horseshit, in fairness. :pac:

Personally I think Women's Day is a great thing. Mind you, my usual mallet-headed optimism took a small torpedo (if you think I'm mangling metaphors with horrific abandon, you should hear me after a few pints) when I flipped on morning TV early today to be greeted by the sight of a rather plain, overweight woman in full wedding regalia explaining how she had planned a full wedding despite being single. #MuckinFental

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Just glanced back to November in Google news. Saw plenty of articles in all major publications including the guardian, independent etc. Sample pieces.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/international-men-s-day-what-s-it-all-about-1.3700295?mode=amp

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/19/feminist-celebrating-international-mens-day

I find that article to be quite offensive to men, stereotyping them and also just being totally patronising. However, for the day that's in it, maybe you could.....you know, say something nice about the ladies?

jimgoose wrote: »
    Most of that is horseshit, in fairness. :pac:

Personally I think Women's Day is a great thing. Mind you, my usual mallet-headed optimism took a small torpedo (if you think I'm mangling metaphors with horrific abandon, you should hear me after a few pints) when I flipped on morning TV early today to be greeted by the sight of a rather plain, overweight woman in full wedding regalia explaining how she had planned a full wedding despite being single. #MuckinFental

Look I’ve no problem with the day highlighting serous issues like violence, health issues etc but like that article using it as a chance to bash a group/push identity politics/or trivial things like manspreading is nauseating - glad to see majority of comments on fb by women were annoyed by it...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Was letting off some foul 'custard tarts' all morning after having a few pints of stout last night. Had to march into the stalls a few minutes ago, and was glad to know it was International Toilet Day. Let off a few loud blasts of the Bottom Bugle, then unloaded a 'King Kong's Thumb' in the throat of the U-bend. Solid Armitage Shanks construction meant I was never concerned about 'the witch's kiss' or 'shelving the product'. It's easy to forget the impact that flushable toilets had on humanity.

Succubus_ wrote: »
    I find that article to be quite offensive to men, stereotyping them and also just being totally patronising. However, for the day that's in it, maybe you could.....you know, say something nice about the ladies?

See my post above ... pushing crap like that article I highlighted is really sad... again I’m questioning the pushing of trivial matters like mansplaining/spreading and looking for ways that women are always the victim

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

There's a guy in my office who mentions IWD once, I would say, every 30 seconds. In a derogatory way.

Since its also WTD, do you reckon its ok to stick his f*ckin head in one?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

And toilets!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Happy International Womens Day

Fun Fact: International Men’s Day & World Toilet Day are both on November 19th.

Followed by Put The Seat Down Day on Nov 20th.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Don't you worry, most of us who are lucky enough to have beautiful, sexy ladies in our lives are appreciative! I am also the proud proprietor of two fine toilets. :cool:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

"Women of the world: take over... Because if you don't, the world will come to an end, and it won't take long."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Followed by Put The Seat Down Day on Nov 20th.

:pac:

And Clean The Toilet Day on the 21st

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,226 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

branie2 wrote: »
    And Clean The Toilet Day on the 21st

No that's the 8th of March.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I remember there was a guy on the Ray Darcy show that fooled him to believing he collected toilet seats.
    Was hilarious, I'd love to find the podcast - doubt they ever released it though, not sure was he with RTE or Today FM at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?

Which one?

And toilets!

Indeed, you're right! I'm also very thankful for toilets so I don't have to sh1t outside! I'm too refined for that :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

Guess who organised all the International Men's Day events at my company last year? .... The Women's Day committee. Because the men couldn't be arsed, even though it's a great opportunity for them to highlight important male issues like cancers that effect them, suicide and father's rights.

If Men's Day isn't as big a deal it's because men don't make a big deal of it!

Advertisement