Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ashling Thompson case

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭Odelay

Autecher wrote: »
    Remember the story a few months ago of this English woman who was caught with €90,000 worth of stolen jewelry? She got a female judge though so I don’t know if it had any effect, she will find out her punishment next week. She turned up to court dressed like this!

EEN%20KIELY%20390428699.jpg

EEN%20KIELY%20290428698.jpg

But at least she does it class. Ashling couldn’t pull that off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Odelay wrote: »
    But at least she does it class. Ashling couldn’t pull that off.
    That is true, she also took the time to pose for the cameras after her court case too unlike Ms. Thompson.

A very classy lady indeed.

EEN%20KIELY%20190428697.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Too right OP, I was absolutely staggered reading poor little Ashlings comments in the papers yesterday.

How dare she wail on about the hardships she has to endure after elbowing an innocent person in the face and fracturing their jaw on a night out for no reason at all?

That's knacker carry on so she has a deserved reputation now as a Scumbag for life - Now we can add to that that she has no moral compass even in hindsight and over the passage of a lot of time when you might think it might have eventually dawned on her.

I suspect also that she'll start on the wrong person at some point over the next few years and they'll put her empty little head through all four walls in the pub....Maybe then she'll begin to feel a bit empathetic around the whole grim area of drunken assaults.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

If you came across as sorry and humble about the incident people may have given her a chance but no apology and the cockiness of ‘oh just pay the money’

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

You said "nah not buying that" and then went off on a totally different tangent.

Do you not see that if she were an ordinary Josephine Public, her crime would never have reached the national press, and almost nobody would even remember it except for the woman she hurt, and a small local community?

The national attention given to her crime was totally disproportionate to the harm caused. Some of the comments here, and on other platforms, are disgusting. So what if she tries to counter that?

Am ya I said that

Unless you are naive to think she is not doing it to get herself out there, try clear her name up a bit, and down the line get her fashion and media road show back up and running when it all cool down

I'm not sure which comments you find disgusting? The ones about her looks or her actions or both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

This part is really disgusting;

“If paid it will disappear. No convictions. It disappears in to a fog. There is no probation act. No strike out. It can only re entered if the money is not paid.”

If you are wealthy, you can get away with it. If you are poor, you are to be processed and we will destroy your life. The judge is a scumbag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

You are right.
    If someone punched me in the face, I might well want to see the perpetrator see the inside of a prison but that doesn't mean that they would.
    Are you singling out AT for special treatment?

No I just think her and her ilk should be punished due accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well, a female physiotherapist got a suspended sentence yesterday for glassing a woman. Now if you want to get outraged, that might be something to look at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Odelay wrote: »
    But at least she does it class.

Ye need to get out more.

Thighs on her a 6 month old Tit fed Holstein would be proud of.

• Advertisement

Ye need to get out more.

Twas sarcasm my friend ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Your post was, I got that....:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

greenspurs wrote: »
    apologists.... ..
    Always a reason, excuse, underlining issue.... always.

No one takes responsibility , and no one will make sure they do.

where in my post do I apologise for her? or give an excuse , clown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

That is true, she also took the time to pose for the cameras after her court case too unlike Ms. Thompson.

EEN%20KIELY%20190428697.jpg

I still would

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Lucca Unimportant Neckerchief

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭monseiur

bye go off to Oz so....

Australia ceased being a colony for convicts a long time ago, doubt she'd be allowed in now

Their immigration standard is something we should learn from, with so many foreign convicts wandering our streets at our expense :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,153 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I don't understand how she was still in the night club 90 minutes after the first assault.

Was she mates with "security"?
    If I was the second person assaulted, I'd be making a claim against the night club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Lucca Unimportant Neckerchief

I don't understand how she was still in the night club 90 minutes after the first assault.

If I was the second person assaulted, I'd be making a claim against the night club.

The bar is frequented by GAA heads so wouldn’t surprise me ... she should’ve been kicked out after the first one or held by security for the gardai to deal with her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭Acosta

The bar is frequented by GAA heads so wouldn’t surprise me ... she should’ve been kicked out after the first one or held by security for the gardai to deal with her

It's full of Guards and nurses and is generally awful but in fairness the security aren't the worst. I've come across a lot worse in Cork down the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

bye go off to Oz so....

Shes received terrible advice that Daily Mail story is just car crash stuff...She must have lost every sponsor

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-7281409/Gaelic-games-star-complains-shes-harassed-nightclub-assaults.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

CorkFenian wrote: »
    Shes received terrible advice that Daily Mail story is just car crash stuff...She must have lost every sponsor

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-7281409/Gaelic-games-star-complains-shes-harassed-nightclub-assaults.html

Maybe she didn’t receive any advice. Could she have been approached by the media herself and was paid for her interview, Did the interview for the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

vriesmays wrote: »

Bizarre article. She must have a decent PR team to get her an article in the Daily Fail.

Perhaps looking to get picked up by an agency over there leading to a stint on reality tv. That's all it is, a vanity project.

In fairness, she is playing the media well and people like to read stories about controversial characters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

That's not an interview with the Daily Mail, that's just a rehash of the Sindo interview with an explanation of what camogie is tacked on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭lukin

I wonder will there be letters of protest in the Sindo next Sunday about their disgraceful interview with poor Aishling? Even by the Sindo's standards it plumbed the depths. I was going to write one myself but I said they probably won't print it so I didn't bother.
    The only other one they did like it that comes near it for outrage is the "John the Baptist" article on that crook John Delaney.

Jesus that is the UK website of the Mail. Amazing they would cover a story like that. Just shows how amazingly stupid the article was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

lukin wrote: »
    Jesus that is the UK website of the Mail. Amazing they would cover a story like that. Just shows how amazingly stupid the article was.

They just want an excuse to print photos of a good looking girl. They'll cover a murder if the victim has Instagram photos on a beach in a bikini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭political analyst

From the interview in the Sunday Independent's Life supplement and the detail of the court case, I believe she was explaining her actions, not excusing them, i.e. the car accident in which she was injured, the suicide of her on-off boyfriend, the fact that she had been training earlier in the day of the assault and had then consumed alcohol without eating. Sure, who wouldn't want to know why she attacked a woman who had said Hello to someone who she (Thompson) was talking to?

Why would anyone engage in sporting activity and then take alcohol without eating anything? It doesn't make sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Fast Twitch

Is she very good looking?.. she's as rough as fnck..

Agreed. All the talk of her good lucks. She has a unique 'look' but there are good looking girls everywhere you look.

Mostly it's a scowl she carries. You'd soon get sick of looking at her if you had to listen to her and put up with her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,170 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

From the interview in the Sunday Independent's Life supplement and the detail of the court case, I believe she was explaining her actions, not excusing them, i.e. the car accident in which she was injured, the suicide of her on-off boyfriend, the fact that she had been training earlier in the day of the assault and had then consumed alcohol without eating. Sure, who wouldn't want to know why she attacked a woman who had said Hello to someone who she (Thompson) was talking to?

Why would anyone engage in sporting activity and then take alcohol without eating anything? It doesn't make sense.

Is that not the basis of all Irish sport?

[/B]
    Is that not the basis of all Irish sport?

I presume the poster means consuming alcohol after training, in the Thompson case, which kind of defeats the purpose of training to drink straight after.

As opposed to the usual drinking after winning some competition.

• Advertisement

Ye need to get out more.

Fairly bad comparison. If it's one things Holsteins are noted for it's definitely not their thighs, light and long legged.

Belgian Blue, Charolais double muscled more like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

I presume the poster means consuming alcohol after training, in the Thompson case, which kind of defeats the purpose of training to drink straight after.

As opposed to the usual drinking after winning some competition.

it doesn't though and it's a silly point.
    I'm sure she (and other sports people) drink occasionally but train almost daily to not detriment. with the exception of peaking for an event where you'd be living like a monk,

back on Aisling...she is a geebag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Stick ball, the daily fail never fails to entertain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

They even call handball fives.

No letters in the Sindo today in response to the piece on Aishling last Sunday.
    I am sure they got loads but didn't publish them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

lukin wrote: »
    No letters in the Sindo today in response to the piece on Aishling last Sunday.
    I am sure they got loads but didn't publish them.[/quote
    How can you be so sure?
    Maybe people dont give a ****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

monseiur wrote: »
    Australia ceased being a colony for convicts a long time ago, doubt she'd be allowed in now

Their immigration standard is something we should learn from, with so many foreign convicts wandering our streets at our expense :rolleyes:

Except if you bothered to actually read about the sentencing, she doesn't have a conviction on her record, she was (rather bizarrely) given a 6k fine with the quid pro quo being no conviction.

Ordinarily a situation like this, minor assault in a club with drink on board, with no real injuries inflicted, early guilty plea, no previous, you wouldn't get anything close to a 6k fine. Not even half that. Probably just probation. She was obviously desperate to avoid the conviction though as it would affect overseas travel and possibly garda vetting for coaching positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If she was charged in Kerry the judge would have asked her for a contribution to the courts poor box. Quite obvious a deal was done to avoid a conviction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It's reardens sure, your a god in there if you play gaa.

If I was before the courts for what she did I'd have gotten a suspended sentence but nonetheless got a criminal conviction.

6k is absolutely nothing to keep a clean record, judge leaving her off so lightly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Water John wrote: »
    If she was charged in Kerry the judge would have asked her for a contribution to the courts poor box. Quite obvious a deal was done to avoid a conviction.

Do you think a dog bites once? I would guess there are a few other incidents swept under the carpet by the GAA/AGS, out of court settlements and what not. Once her time is up with the team she is going to be a terror to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

Do you think a dog bites once? I would guess there are a few other incidents swept under the carpet by the GAA/AGS, out of court settlements and what not. Once her time is up with the team she is going to be a terror to deal with.

A lot of settled cases in the past 10 years with well known GAA players, if it was to come out (and I'm not saying that it should by any means, not going to name them here either) people would be really shocked!!!

A lot of settled cases in the past 10 years with well known GAA players, if it was to come out (and I'm not saying that it should by any means, not going to name them here either) people would be really shocked!!!

Are we really doing them a favour by shielding them from reality and tolerating this sort of behaviour? If they had to face up to it earlier and deal with it they would be better role models in society.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

So you assault 2 people no jail time no conviction how is that even possible?

sasta le wrote: »

I would say this could have happened before. This time she picked on the wrong girls. Girls who had a bit of education AND money to pursue a conviction and kept on to the Gardai. She finally messed with the wrong girls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,153 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

sasta le wrote: »

I'd imagine that this happens on a daily basis.

• Advertisement

Yes this is true. There have been incidents in the past where the Gardai have looked the other way in cases of assault where the perpetrator has been a high profile GAA player. It's happened in Cork loads of times and I'm sure in other counties too.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

it happens outside of GAA too, I was assaulted in a nightclub a good few years back by a locally well known son of horse trainer, i came under serious pressure to drop the case from his family , the guards were more than happy to stand aside if i went that route despite taking a statement from me and the bouncers who witnessed the attack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

it happens outside of GAA too, I was assaulted in a nightclub a good few years back by a locally well known son of horse trainer, i came under serious pressure to drop the case from his family , the guards were more than happy to stand aside if i went that route despite taking a statement from me and the bouncers who witnessed the attack

Or any well established figure. A family member was once seriously assaulted by a local business figure. The management of the bar in which it occurred protected him and the Gardai worked with them to make sure the case went nowhere.

Remember the story a few months ago of this English woman who was caught with €90,000 worth of stolen jewelry? She got a female judge though so I don’t know if it had any effect, she will find out her punishment next week. She turned up to court dressed like this!

EEN%20KIELY%20390428699.jpg

EEN%20KIELY%20290428698.jpg

This woman got a 2 year suspended sentence. She had the good sense to dress a bit more appropriately for court this time...
    9%20NEWS%20KATHLEEN%20KIELY%204.jpg
    image.jpg

This woman got a 2 year suspended sentence. She had the good sense to dress a bit more appropriately for court this time...
    9%20NEWS%20KATHLEEN%20KIELY%204.jpg
    image.jpg

Classy Burd!. Are those thread marks on her left leg?

• Advertisement
Advertisement