Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Misleading advertisisng 2/5 of guarannte require registration?

Options
  • 18-11-2020 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

My Electrolux washing machine gave up the ghost pretty much right after it was out of guarantee. I surfed the net and found that these were my best options: https://www.currys.ie/ieen/s_action/compare/10211622-10211612-10211729-10211936.html

I bought the one on the right, LG AI DD V3 F4V310SNE, online.

Because of the longest guarantee, it seemed to be the best/price value. The one next to it (F4V309WNE) would have perfectly sufficed, but it says, in the link and its specs, that it has a 2-year-guarantee +3 more years by registration. While the one I bought is advertised as "Manufacturer’s guarantee 5 years".
    But when I googled the abbreviated number "F4V310", I found this: https://www.lg.com/uk/download/LG_5_Year_Warranty_terms_and_condtions-01-08-20.pdf

And there it says that, for this model, I have to register for the additional 3 years with LG, in my name AND that "It is non-transferable and in the event of a change of ownership will not be valid". And that last part is the reason why I didn't go for any of the other, smaller and cheaper, washers; because I might need to sell the machine within these 5 year period.

They just delivered and unpacked the machine. But I am not sure what to do. Connect it, use it? Return it to Currys? Complain? Sue?

It is a good washer I am sure. But I wouldn't have chosen this model if it wasn't for the "Manufacturer’s guarantee 5 years" as Currys had advertised it, and would have bought something a bit cheaper; like the Bosch for 389...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Xterminator

so it is five year manufacturer warranty when you register, and you assumed it was transferable, but that was an assumption on your part.
    Where is the problem? you don't like registering? do you usually sell your washing machines ? if not the non transferable bit really doesn't come onto play.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭dybbuk

Did you read the post at all? Have you looked at the link I have provided? Do you understand I made my choice based on the information about the guarantee?

Do I "usually sell?" Are you looking for a washing machine? Then why are you asking?

I live in a rental. I don't need a 10.5 kg capacity. It's just me. I wanted something for peace of mind: not having to worry for repairs, being able to re-sell easily. Does that answer your question?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I'm struggling to see what the issue is, to be honest. How hard is it to register the appliance - quite normal practice for anything over a two year guarantee. Most extended manufacturer's warranties are non-transferable, so not sure what the selling on of the washer has to do with it.
    Are you saying you paid €80 extra for a machine with a load capacity you don't need just because of an additional three years warranty??

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Are you saying you paid €80 extra for a machine with a load capacity you don't need just because of an additional three years warranty??

Pretty much. But not exactly.

I was looking for (5-year or whatever -) long guarantee - not warranty. Because long guarantee is what I need. And there is a big difference between an appliance that comes with a guarantee - be it 1, 2, 3, 5 or 10 years (like Miele)- and an "onward" guarantee extension that comes with a few conditions (other than not abuse and no commercial use).

I did not just "make an assumption". The listing is incorrect. It is a fact.

I hope it is clarified now. If you need more information, please do inquire with someone more informed than I am! I am only asking what can I do as a consumer. And I don't appreciate having to defend my choices. Moreover I already explained why I wanted a guarantee and it should be clear from the history of my Electrolux anyway.

Can someone tell me what I could do?

The machine is out of the box but otherwise untouched. It has a small dent too. But the dent doesn't bother me. I am actually not picky. I just really don't like being mislead.

Use your 14 day online purchase cooling off period.

Or per Currys

Change your mind
    That’s not a problem. You can return your product in its original unopened and sealed packaging within 21 days of purchase and we'll give you an exchange or full refund, provided you have proof of purchase - no questions asked.

Extended Christmas returns policy
    At Christmas time for added peace of mind, you can return your product until Tuesday 14th January 2021 if purchased between Thursday 29th October and Tuesday 24th December 2020.

• Advertisement

So from Googling it looks like since your not paying extra for the warranty it's essentially the same as a guarantee?

"A guarantee is an agreement from the manufacturer confirming that they will repair or replace an item if something goes wrong within a certain amount of time after you buy it. Guarantees are usually offered free by the manufacturer.

A warranty is an extra optional protection offered at additional cost, and may be offered by the retailer of the product. It is similar to an insurance policy and covers the product beyond the manufacturer’s guarantee period.

A guarantee/warranty should be provided in a durable and accessible format (for example, in hard copy or email) and include the following information:

What exactly is covered
    The exact duration of the cover
    Geographical restrictions, if any
    Who is responsible for dealing with the guarantee/warranty (seller/retailer, manufacturer or a third-party)
    Procedure to register the guarantee/warranty, if required for activation
    Procedure for making a claim"

In the LG link it mentions a 5yr year warranty promotion so I wonder if they've just used the wrong terminology?

You could always contact either the store the LG and see exactly were you stand.

To make it absolutely clear to everybody:

I was lead to believe that I was buying an appliance with a 5-year guarantee. But it turned out to be a 2-year guarantee + a 3-year guarantee extension. I am neither interested in explaining to the whole world what the difference is in general, much less what the difference is to me specifically.

And I am asking: What are my choices now?

Thank you!

dybbuk wrote: »

I was lead to believe that I was buying an appliance with a 5-year guarantee. But it turned out to be a 2-year guarantee + a 3-year guarantee extension. I am neither interested in explaining to the whole world what the difference is in general, much less what the difference is to me specifically.

Thank you!

2+3 =5

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Shops don't have an obligation to do anything for a 3rd party that buys an item 2nd hand privately anyway do they?

2+3 =5

2 apples + 3 oranges are 5 fruit. But I wanted 5 apples. I don't like oranges.

Plus, from what I understand, once you register, they are all oranges.

• Advertisement

Shops don't have an obligation to do anything for a 3rd party that buys an item 2nd hand privately anyway do they?

I thought they did. But it doesn't matter much to me. Once you have the receipt, the manufacturer will honor the guarantee. From now on referred to as "apples".

But, and that is the main issue here: not the registered guarantee extension. From now on referred to as "oranges"

Then give it back under their returns policy, as explained and clear on their website. I still can't see the issue with the extra 3 years being after registering.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,084 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I thought they did. But it doesn't matter much to me. Once you have the receipt, the manufacturer will honor the guarantee. From now on referred to as "apples".

But, and that is the main issue here: not the registered guarantee extension. From now on referred to as "oranges"

How do know the Orchardist will honour the apples when they change bowls?

there is a big difference between an appliance that comes with a guarantee - be it 1, 2, 3, 5 or 10 years (like Miele)- and an "onward" guarantee extension that comes with a few conditions (other than not abuse and no commercial use).
    Apples and oranges. OK? No bowls, and "orchadist" isn't a word.

I have spent a lot of time researching the market, the technology, brands and offers. Two of the machines I've considered went up back in price before I was able to make up my mind. So I was very relieved, nearly happy when I finally bought a washing machine and was looking forward to using it. I already did my laundry at friend's and at neighbor's houses. I need a machine now. Currys broke my heart. Just returning it to them, won't heal my wounds. I would have to spend another months looking for a fitting deal... Plus the machine is unpacked.

So I wonder if there is anything else that I could do. It is definitely "false advertising". You might not see the difference between apples and oranges, but I assure you there is a big one: conceptual, legal and what not. But I am not from here. So I was hoping someone could help. Not looking for fruit/cakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,084 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

orchardist in American English. (ˈɔrtʃərdɪst) a person who owns, manages, or cultivates an orchard.

The “bowl” being the new owner the “apple” is going to, sorry, I thought we were to use code from now on.
    Apples and oranges. OK?. You might not see the difference between apples and oranges.

Like other posters, I’m struggling to see the difference between the apples and oranges you are referring to, you just have to register for one to activate it, and you can’t be certain either is transferable if you sell on the item.

OP - i dont know what you want here. It sounds to me like you have buyers remorse.

If you think an advert is misleading you can report them to the ASAI. It does not entitle you to a refund, regardless.

If you bought the item online you get a cooling off period, but i assume if you plumb in and use the washing machine that might be be applicable.

Your statutory rights are every bit as good as most manufacturers warranty, hence the warranty is only 'as well as' your statutory rights. I dont see how your 2+3 does not equal 5. Especially when your statutory rights underpin the purchase regardless.

Manufacturers warranties are alway limited, and second hand white goods almost never come with a guarantee, so resale value will be unaffected in the real world.

none of your points seem to stand up to scrutiny, and a quick review of the comments here show your opinion is not generally shared ( albeit by a group of strangers on the internet). Perhaps you need to reassess your POV?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭28064212

And there it says that, for this model, I have to register for the additional 3 years with LG, in my name AND that "It is non-transferable and in the event of a change of ownership will not be valid". And that last part is the reason why I didn't go for any of the other, smaller and cheaper, washers; because I might need to sell the machine within these 5 year period.
    Manufacturer's warranties are rarely, if ever, transferable, so you making a false assumption does not create any burden on the retailer.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

For the fifth - I believe - time:

A "Manufacturer's guarantee" and an "onward guarantee by registration" are different things. They come with different conditions. If you do not understand it, please abstain from polluting my thread!

A "warranty" is even more different. Any competent person wouldn't bring up this word here at all. Doing that is called "derailing", due to incompetence perhaps, maybe without bad intent but "derailing" nevertheless. Take a hike!

Starting this thread I was meaning to address people more competent then myself, rather than less competent and tactless insomniacs. What I want is advice, ideas. I am aware of my right to return the appliance. But as I explained, it won't give me back the time I invested in this transaction. I was mislead into this purchase and I am annoyed, initially by Currys trick, now by the community of timewasters as well.

"report them to the ASAI" does sound like the first idea. I don't know what that is/means. But I will look into it. Thanks!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you're going to continue to reject valid advice and insult those giving it, I recommend you go elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

For the fifth - I believe - time:

A "Manufacturer's guarantee" and an "onward guarantee by registration" are different things. They come with different conditions. If you do not understand it, please abstain from polluting my thread!

A "warranty" is even more different. Any competent person wouldn't bring up this word here at all. Doing that is called "derailing", due to incompetence perhaps, maybe without bad intent but "derailing" nevertheless. Take a hike!

Starting this thread I was meaning to address people more competent then myself, rather than less competent and tactless insomniacs. What I want is advice, ideas. I am aware of my right to return the appliance. But as I explained, it won't give me back the time I invested in this transaction. I was mislead into this purchase and I am annoyed, initially by Currys trick, now by the community of timewasters as well.

"report them to the ASAI" does sound like the first idea. I don't know what that is/means. But I will look into it. Thanks!

So, in summary, you would like someone to tell you how to get back the time you invested in research. Good luck with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

Thank you!

Register the appliance and get the extended guarantee. Transfer issue may never arise. If you do sell the appliance, the new buyer can claim the guarantee under your name. I think you are worrying too much about something that may never happen at the expense of your current needs.

johnb25 wrote: »
    Register the appliance and get the extended guarantee.

That is still the plan, I guess... I don't want to be a cause of air pollution - more delivery trucks.

But, as I wrote a few times: "I am annoyed" - that Currys mislead me. I am not worried. The main factors involved here are beyond my control, but I estimate the probability of having to sell the LG in 5-8 months from now at about 20% and 50% that I will sell it between 2021 and 2025.

I wonder what causes these discussions. Just a difference in POV towards acquisition of appliances? Doesn't look like it. More like people on this forum like to destroy anything they do not understand.

Moderator, I suggest you think hard about joining an online mobbing party during the lockdown. Think about consequences, never mind your ethical standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭28064212

To qualify for any manufacturer's guarantee, you need to abide by the conditions as set out by the manufacturer. Guarantees which require registration are a subset of guarantees, they are not different sets
    The words warranty and guarantee are literally synonyms. The only thing that matters is who the guarantor is and what their conditions are.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

So, in summary, you would like someone to tell you how to get back the time you invested in research. Good luck with that.
    Not at all. My expectations were:
    A, best case scenario:
    A consumer issue expert or a lawyer would have advised me how to make Currys pay for false advertising. maybe even squeeze a few euros out of them:)

B, most probable: Get read some compassionate posts, condemning Currys

C, is what happened: Getting attacked by people who never bothered understanding the issue, assume that they do and gang up on me the D, get supported by moderator.

I know this forum. Last time I logged in here was 7 years ago. Nothing seems to have changed. Very unhealthy community of opinionated, lonely, aggressive - let me guess: around 85% men? few foreigners? chip on a shoulder. etc

well its either that or you have unrealistic expectations based on incorrect assumptions and are very disappointed to find the general consensus is that you haven't got a leg to stand on.

Its one or t'other.

28064212 wrote: »
    subset of guarantees, they are not different sets
    Correct, different "subset". Since oranges are taken: would you like a potato tomato analogy now?

28064212 wrote: »
    The words warranty and guarantee are literally synonyms.
    Not where I come from. To me a guarantee implies much more responsibility than a warranty. The "10-year guarantee" for the motor I bought with this machine is what I would maybe refer to as a "warranty".

But parts and labor? Replacement of appliance? Here we are talking very different fruit again.

I hope that maybe some of the young consumers here may have learnt something. Because, otherwise it has been mainly a waste of time, so far...

But I will look into this ASAI. Any more info about that or an alternative idea maybe? Please?

general consensus
    :D
    The flies found their consensus?

Remember spiders? Remember law? Rules and regulations etc?

That is what I am interested in. Maybe press, like a consumer letters place. But not all these uneducated speculations.

So far it seems I am still the most competent person in my thread. :(

"False advertising"

Whatever happened to the concept of a simple error... ?

Nothing to do with the manufacturer, it's Curry's website so any comments to them and they'll just say 'Whoops, our mistake". Besides, looking at the page you linked, the warranty/guarantee terms for the other machine you were thinking of buying do state the (allegedly) correct terms - why would a manufacturer offer different terms for essentially the same thing?

Perhaps your research was not as in-depth as you thought - just pack it up and send it back

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Everyone is wrong but the OP......Obviously came on expecting everyone to agree with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Anybody else not know the difference between the guarantee and onwards registration guarantee?
    Nope, me neither. Probably nothing.

Any regulars here care?
    Nope, me neither. It's irrelevant.

We generally stick to Irish consumer law around these parts. Any warranty/guarantee/whateveryouwantcallit is in addition to your consumer rights. It's nice to have for a quick turnaround but by no means a deciding factor on getting a repair/replace/refund of a faulty/defective product. A warranty/guarantee is a marketing term and they can put whatever restrictions they like in it, it makes no difference to your consumer rights.

Also, when selling on a product, consumer rights are non-transferable so I don't really know what the beef is there.

So if you're not happy, return it and complain to the ASAI. Nothing will come of it and you'll be without a product. I'd also advise to re-adjust your tone and brush up on Irish consumer law.

P.S. I bet the Bosch is 2nd year by registration.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement