Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 17 weekend fight night: Lomachenko v Lopez mega LW fight

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,686 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I watched it again in more peace/detail..

8-4 and 9-3 isn’t a bad score..

What I did notice was that Teo wasn’t all that difficult to hit; although, maybe he wasn’t really bothered due to the shots being quite weak..he was not all worrying about Loma’s power..

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    I had it 7-5 to Lopez but I think 2 rounds were close and as another poster said I may have been trying to find a way to make it a loma round. I can’t disagree with 9-3.

I was very disappointed with loma. He only started offence in the 7th round.

What would his natural weight class be?

126-130 probably Loma’s best and most natural fighting weight...

Short arms and only 5 feet 7 on his tippy toes...

Slightly built as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

walshb wrote: »
    “I think in the first half he had more rounds than I did, but in the second half I took over and I was much better," Loma says.

"I want to go home and review the fight, I can't comment right now much about it.

"Definitely I'm not agreeing with the scorecards."

He had moments, but i don't think he ever really dominated those last four rounds. What it boils down to is even when Loma was having a bit of success, he was made aware of the power differential between the two. To me Lopez never looked really troubled at all because Loma just didn't have the power to hurt him, neither, much to his own surprise, was he able to outbox and out think Lopez.

He had moments, but i don't think he ever really dominated those last four rounds. What it boils down to is even when Loma was having a bit of success, he was made aware of the power differential between the two. To me Lopez never looked really troubled at all because Loma just didn't have the power to hurt him, neither, much to his own surprise, was he able to outbox and out think Lopez.

Yep. Pretty much this is it!

Teo had his own share matrix like manoeuvres in there. Spinning Loma and dictating the ring movements..When Teo wanted not to get hit, he didn’t..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

What a great fight for the sport and yet again we have to mourn no audience. I would have been there with bells on probably in the Garden but even in Vegas. Huge kudos to Lopez for a great smart game plan. Having seen both live twice and like most conventional pundits I went for Loma based on experience and superior footwork but once one saw the matchup the physicality and youth were on Lopez' side. The kid was right!!

Knowing that Loma starts slowly in terms of figuring out his opponents I was very impressed with the patience and composure of Lopez in the early rounds. Kept pumping that jab and working the body. Up and down and flicking out and landing. He was constantly walking him down and as rounds are slipping away you are waiting for the response? Simply put Lopez is outboxing the matrix. Finally in the eighth Loma gets going and is not afraid to throw the head either. Good round and its game on coming down the stretch. I thought ten was telling when Lopez hits him with a questionable body shot and Loma walks and this ends the fight for me. He's done and knows it and the last two are even.

As ever in this game the judges scores mystifies but does it really matter as the winner is the king. Younger, bigger, braver and ultimately he outboxed this phenomenal piece of work. I had it 8-4.

And just like Kovalev and Golovkin the mystery disappears for these "Russian" fighters. Once feared time reduces them to what we all are. Humans.

This is what we want from this game. Two powers coming together to answer that eternal question of who is the man. BTW kudos to fight fans abhaile cos here bell rang at 11.55pm.

• Advertisement

SHOVELLER wrote: »

Knowing that Loma starts slowly in terms of figuring out his opponents I was very impressed with the patience and composure of Lopez in the early rounds. Kept pumping that jab and working the body. Up and down and flicking out and landing

Yes, the jab really impressed me...it wasn't just to throw it for the sake of it...it was a real statement type shot...I am controlling the flow, the move vibe off it...it had speed and power.....

I am reading so much crap about Loma "giving away" the first 6-7 rds.....“Why did Loma give away the first 7 rounds?” It’s quite disingenuous and disrespectful to Lopez..

He absolutely did not....It's so silly to even say it...

Loma can give away a couple rds, but Saturday night he had rounds taken from him...it is that simple. Taken because Lopez was being aggressive, heavy handed and stopping Loma from getting into a groove...Loma was just too wary...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Do you think having 400 amateur fights somewhat institutionalised Loma, when he eventually met a stronger man his usual style of movement and hit had no real effect on Lopez.

Lopez just walked him down.

I don't agree with the "gave away 7 rounds" Loma realised he was way behind at this stage and could not impose his usual style so had to switch up his tactics, which worked in terms of activity but again nothing to really trouble Lopez as he still stuck to his game plan.

Not sure if its been posted but the build up videos by top rank were good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqo9K6pTKOM&feature=youtu.be Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSYAoZAyvB4&feature=youtu.be Part 2

Lopez doesn't say it outstraight but it seems this was his last fight with his dad, Father seems a moron and cares more about Lopez the boxer than Lopez the son. Be interesting to see who he gets in.

Good points.

For all Loma’s tricks and that, I never felt he had that real pro style..

The style to be able to be rugged, rough, good inside etc..

Even his punch mechanics and delivery are a bit amateurish/awkward..

His body is so blessed with movement and flexibility, that he can win with what he has as regards punching technique and power..

Can’t quite put my finger on it. Lacks that ability to just trade in close in a rugged and sustained fashion...and it affected him the other night because Lopez was stronger and heavier handed and rangier....Loma's style couldn't break him

Loma is a small man, and was giving away size and power.....deserves credit for being in there, but just didn't try hard enough....

Even v Campbell and Linares....both clearly bigger....Loma was outmatched physically, but beat them down.....but had either man proper type power, then Loma could well have been in serious trouble....

I see the Lomachecko excuses are out

He allegedly had right side shoulder surgery on Monday for a preexisting shoulder issue

Felt pain a few weeks ago, but still went ahead with the fight

He fought quite hard rds 8-12 inclusive all the same...

I'd say it's legit, alright, but I wonder did it affect him (during the fight) as they are saying; injured during round 2 of the the Teo fight...

I'd love to see a rematch, but needs to be soon....as in first few months 2021

Lomachenko out till at least January now...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭weemcd

I'll double down on my original thoughts that Loma looked rusty. His uppercut was nowhere to be seen. I'd have this a 50/50 fight if Loma came back at full strength but my fear would be, at that weight, with injuries and a lot of miles on the clock... we've seen the best of him now. I'd love to be wrong.

For what it's worth I think Lopez moves up in weight now regardless. I don't see him hanging around.

• Advertisement

The uppercut wasn’t really there for him. Lopez fought him side on almost. Plus, Loma was simply trying to score any type shots and avoid getting hurt. He was not allowed the luxury of being selective and in charge.

Down on the cards, desperate to catch up, and still very aware that Lopez was staying with him, as well as being very dangerous....under the circumstances, the uppercut (which requires positioning, timing, awareness and time) wasn’t really a runner.

Advertisement