Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 17 weekend fight night: Lomachenko v Lopez mega LW fight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,987 ✭✭✭✭walshb

weemcd wrote: »
    No arguments there. Lopez boxed well and disciplined for the full 12. He did perhaps slow slightly around 8 or 9 but Loma didn't capitalise. Very ordinary from him, despite what his shorts say no real Venum there. Failed to circle properly, think Lopez did a good job of closing down his movements and keeping him where he wanted him.

Where was Loma's trademark uppercut that doesn't miss?

Loma performed the same way he always does, but previously he was not facing this type boxer. Bigger and can crack hard, as well as box. Loma felt the power early, and it spooked him. Too fearful to engage too much. And when he did engage it was too late, and he was still only being competitive..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

walshb wrote: »
    Loma performed the same way he always does, but previously he was not facing this type boxer. Bigger and can crack hard, as well as box. Loma felt the power early, and it spooked him. Too fearful to engage too much. And when he did engage it was too late, and he was still only being competitive..

That's absolute nonsense. Loma's trademark is movement and angles, constant pressure. He did his circling maybe twice the whole fight. There was a graphic that came up that said thru 8 rounds he had thrown something like 84 punches.

That's absolute nonsense. Loma's trademark is movement and angles, constant pressure. He did his circling maybe twice the whole fight. There was a graphic that came up that said thru 8 rounds he had thrown something like 84 punches.

You took one part of a sentence and have run with it..

I was making a point...maybe read on a bit..

Performed is the word...you are only looking at punches thrown..

You do know that Loma has given away several rds previously to opponents. Figures them out and then goes to work...here was the same, BUT the power and size of Lopez made it more difficult for Loma to commit and go to work. He was spooked, and never got to penetrate and break down the bigger and heavier hitting man..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

He has given away rounds previously, yes.

He has never, ever come close to giving anyone a 7 round headstart.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

I have to say that while Lopez kept him honest, Loma definitely looked rusty there in the first half of the fight. I understand trying to take the steam off Lopez then going to work but it must have been round 8 before he put anything together.

Loma is definitely looking human his last few fights, not in the matrix like we saw versus Rigo, Walters etc. I don't know if he can impose his will against these lightweights who can punch. It shuts him down.

BTW I thought Lopez boxed beautifully, he was patient and didn't get carried away.

ESPN commentary was absolute muck, I never want to hear Tim Bradley on commentary again in my life. Ward dependable as always in an otherwise poor panel.

• Advertisement

He has given away rounds previously, yes.

He has never, ever come close to giving anyone a 7 round headstart.

I agree

You are actually cementing my point..

Lopez is not like the others. Bigger, harder hitting...Loma was spooked by this..

He was fearful to engage and commit. He was then forced to because he was so far behind. And when he did commit he had success, but so did Lopez..

weemcd wrote: »
    I have to say that while Lopez kept him honest, Loma definitely looked rusty there in the first half of the fight. I understand trying to take the steam off Lopez then going to work but it must have been round 8 before he put anything together.

I didn’t see the rust. Sure, all he did was move and defend, and was not rusty doing this..this is not rust. Had Lopez not spooked him with the size and power, Loma would have committed a lot more on offence..

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

I had it 8-4 Lopez. Consensus online seems about that or 7-5. Way too many people giving Lomachenko credit down the stretch and scoring it a draw. That one judge's card is bad and it'll be a shame that one card will be held against Lopez even though the correct decision was made.

I love the way Lomachenko boxes but you'd get sick of all the over the top "in the Matrix" nonsense spouted about him online and on TV. Bit of humble pie dished out to a lot of people tonight.

Coneygree wrote: »
    I had it 8-4 Lopez. Consensus online seems about that or 7-5. Way too many people giving Lomachenko credit down the stretch and scoring it a draw. That one judge's card is bad and it'll be a shame that one card will be held against Lopez even though the correct decision was made.

I love the way Lomachenko boxes but you'd get sick of all the over the top "in the Matrix" nonsense spouted about him online and on TV. Bit of humble pie dished out to a lot of people tonight.

I had it 10-2..

The 11-1 card is not bad. The rds you could give Loma were quite close...Lopez could easily have been given them..

Loma will need to stay away from higher weights. He does not have the make up and skill set to offset the size difference..and does not have near enough power to bother bigger men..

I thought his showing tonight was desperate. Next to no offense for large parts the fight..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Morrison J

116-112 to Lopez for me.

Thought that had shades of Spence v Mikey tbh. Weight classes matter and Loma bit off more than he could chew facing an elite, big 135er who can bang. Completely outgunned in there. Take nothing away from Lopez though thought it was a really great disciplined performance by him. Went to Loma's body from the start, stayed on the front foot and saved his gas tank really well. Never let Loma get comfortable.

• Advertisement

At weigh in they looked similar size. Lopez bit bigger.

Lopez must been 146-148 lbs tonight.

Loma probably 138

At weigh in they looked similar size. Lopez bit bigger.

Lopez must been 146-148 lbs tonight.

Loma probably 138

Yeah I didn't think too much of it going in to be honest but from the first round on I thought Lopez' physical advantages were clear to see.

Morrison J wrote: »
    Yeah I didn't think too much of it going in to be honest but from the first round on I thought Lopez' physical advantages were clear to see.

Same here..weigh in threw me..

Fight night you could see clear difference..

Some the online stuff calling the fight very close..
    Wtf way are these people judging.

After 8 rds it could have been 7-1 or 8-0

The remaining 4....Lopez for me won rd 12

That leaves rounds 9, 10 and 11..I gave rd 9 to Lopez I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭fitzparker

for me he was 6-2 down going into last 4, Lopez won 12

he won 9,10,11. argument for 7-5 or or 8-4 but could easily be 9-3 10-2, Loma only really got rounds because he did something compared to the first 6

either way, clutching at straws looking for a draw (which even I was guilty of trying to find)

Lopez was 147 going into the ring he was to strong and perfected the game plan. Loma also gave him a boost as Lopez didn't need to come out of 3rd gear for the first 6 rounds. Each time Loma thought he "cracked the code" Lopez would hit him with a power shot to make him re think.

I think that is the last of both guys at that weight, Lopez struggled to get to 135, would like to see him face winner of Taylor V Ramirez.

fitzparker wrote: »
    for me he was 6-2 down going into last 4, Lopez won 12

he won 9,10,11. argument for 7-5 or or 8-4 but could easily be 9-3 10-2, Loma only really got rounds because he did something compared to the first 6

either way, clutching at straws looking for a draw (which even I was guilty of trying to find)

Lopez was 147 going into the ring he was to strong and perfected the game plan. Loma also gave him a boost as Lopez didn't need to come out of 3rd gear for the first 6 rounds. Each time Loma thought he "cracked the code" Lopez would hit him with a power shot to make him re think.

I think that is the last of both guys at that weight, Lopez struggled to get to 135, would like to see him face winner of Taylor V Ramirez.

Spot on analysis..

I made a point before the fight that Lopez needs to make Loma feel and respect his power, and although he didn’t wallop him really clean, you don’t need to. An opponent can feel the power and impact even when partially blocking..Loma absolutely felt it, and it made him very cautious about committing..

Separate: Loma is just bit small/weak to go higher up. 135 his ceiling.

He is not like a Floyd, who had range, pocket defense and inside fighting ability and strength..allowing him compete and beat naturally bigger good men..

Pacquiao the same. He had power, speed, volume; allowing him compete, hurt and beat bigger men..

Loma is not like this at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Some the online stuff calling the fight very close..
    Wtf way are these people judging.

There are none so blind as those who choose not to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Very impressed with Lopez. Even when under pressure from Loma in the later rounds he remained very composed and picked his counters.

I had it 8-4 Lopez with Loma just winning 8,9,10,11.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Those were the official scorecards

lopez-lomachenko-official-scorecards.jpg

Those were the official scorecards

lopez-lomachenko-official-scorecards.jpg

Yep. I gave Lopez rd 9 as well..

People seem to think just because Loma started to fight from 8-12 that somehow he deserves them rds..

Truth is, that Lopez was still very much in these rds..

Hence 11-1 is not ridiculous.

One key punch that surprised me was Lopez’s stiff snappy rangy hard jab. It kept Loma at bay an awful lot..

• Advertisement

“I think in the first half he had more rounds than I did, but in the second half I took over and I was much better," Loma says.

"I want to go home and review the fight, I can't comment right now much about it.

"Definitely I'm not agreeing with the scorecards."

Really hope Lopez stays at 135 for as long as possible. Plenty of great fights to be made there for him. Not convinced his style is going to translate well to a move up the weights either.

Really hope Lopez stays at 135 for as long as possible. Plenty of great fights to be made there for him. Not convinced his style is going to translate well to a move up the weights either.

Yes. He won’t be a big JWW...normal.

His dad says he’s hurting making 135...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭megadodge

Well done Teofimo Lopez. Very impressive performance.

What impressed me most was his composure and concentration. Never let up for the entire 12 rounds. Allied to excellent judgment of distance and punch selection he made a believer out of me.

Having said that, Loma made it pretty easy for him for most of the fight by simply doing nothing. I was very disappointed in his display. I really couldn't understand for such an experienced boxer to be leaving it so late. He simply gave away the first 7 rounds - in a 12 round fight??? It was very strange to say the least.

Although I scored it 8-4 I really don't see much wrong with the big scorecard. Loma was being so negative I can understand a judge not rewarding him.

Loma threw one right hook all night that I can remember, I wonder is the shoulder still an issue? Maybe I shouldn't bring that up, as it was Lopez's night and he really showed his mettle.

megadodge wrote: »

Having said that, Loma made it pretty easy for him for most of the fight by simply doing nothing. I was very disappointed in his display. I really couldn't understand for such an experienced boxer to be leaving it so late. He simply gave away the first 7 rounds - in a 12 round fight??? It was very strange to say the least.

I don't think that was the game plan though was it? Looked to me like he felt the Lopez power early and immediately went very gun-shy. Didn't feel comfortable coming forward until Lopez had fatigued and the sharpness from his punches had softened that bit.

Loma's best chance might've been to go full Chocolatito v Rungvisai and meet fire with fire even though he was outgunned by the bigger fighter. Like that second fight went though there'd be a high chance he gets KO'ed hard and he clearly didn't want to risk that.

I don't think that was the game plan though was it? Looked to me like he felt the Lopez power early and immediately went very gun-shy. Didn't feel comfortable coming forward until Lopez had fatigued and the sharpness from his punches .

Exactly my thought..

And kind of proved when Loma seemed to go back on the run when he “again” felt the power..

From rds 8-12 Loma began working, but in those 15 minutes he also was going back into his shell when Teo’s shots were connecting..

Loma was out-gunned, and he knew it.

He decided for most the fight to simply not get hurt..

Decided to give it a go at times when he felt Teo slowing, and then back defending...

I have heard Loma several times mention bigger men being threats, or thoughts to that effect. I think he knows his limitations..

Could Loma win a rematch? If he had belief in his chin, and more “balls” to really give it a go? Yes...

Of course, it would be risky!!

Don’t get me wrong, Teo was impressive, but for a lot of the fight he didn’t need to do much at all. Loma’s OTT cautiousness simply allowed Teo bank rounds..

When Loma went for it, he was landing fairly easily, albeit pitter patter shots..But Teo returned heavier fire, resulting in Loma again wanting out...as in wanting to survive/defend..

Couple interesting analogies here in Loma’s performance are v Linares and Campbell..

Both bigger: If I recall, Loma gave away several rds to Linares due to figuring him out and Linares being very effective..

Then Loma realised that he wasn’t a big hitter, wasn’t hurting him, and he went to work and got the job done..

Similar with Campbell. Campbell’s height and size bothered Loma for rds, but Loma wasn’t overly fearful of the power; figured him out and closed the show..

Exact same scenario/approach last night: difference? Teo was more hurtful and dangerous, and Loma knew it, and could not overcome it..decided to defend until he felt really comfortable to go on the attack, and again felt the power and went back to the shell..

Make no mistake. This was the same old Loma. The difference was who he was facing....no excuses..

Very unimpressive..

Can anyone imagine a Juan Manuel Marquez, Erik Morales, Manny Pacquiao, Marco Antonio Barerra fighting like Loma....running for the night to avoid getting hit? Then trying here and there when they thought the foe was tiring?

It might sound harsh, but I have given Loma his fair share of credit and plaudits; but I always felt he was getting a wee bit overrated in an all-time sense..

People saying greatest fighter ever and he beats Floyd at 130...utter nonsense..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I see Loma dropped out of the top 20 pound for pound... that’s ok but wilder is at 5th!

squinn2912 wrote: »
    I see Loma dropped out of the top 20 pound for pound... that’s ok but wilder is at 5th!

Wilder has one loss

He was the HW champion of the world with an almost perfect KO record in dozens of fights

Loma outside top 20 may be wrong, but Wilder is still up there somewhere..

What list is this? Boxrec?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

I had it 7-5 to Lopez but I think 2 rounds were close and as another poster said I may have been trying to find a way to make it a loma round. I can’t disagree with 9-3.

I was very disappointed with loma. He only started offence in the 7th round.

What would his natural weight class be?

Advertisement