Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Littleredcar

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to sign contracts on a house sale usually

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

I've had the same issue with my own, just insist that they get you the approvals (or at least apply for them) with the banks that you want. My own one dragging their heels with Finance Ireland etc and the long term mortgages. I have no intention of coming back to them every 5 years which is obviously what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

There is no "usual". Anywhere from a few weeks to months and months. Depends on the case. For example if the vendor hasn't requested the deeds by the time they went sale agreed that adds about 8 weeks onto the process.

Also you signing contracts doesn't really mean anything. It's getting the vendor to sign and return that actually makes it binding.

Anyone much experience with vendors getting antsy with delays and what to do?

Been waiting over 30 days now for loan offer and the vendor is wondering what’s happening. Have pushed the broker a lot for answers but generally getting a “we’ll escalate it” every couple of days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Went sale agreed 3 weeks ago today. Absolutely nothing has happened since.

Waste of time emailing the broker same reply back. Bank busy ect. Speak very soon.

Anyone get a mortgage with Finance Ireland recently that can advise how long it took.

This day last week the estate agent asked when the bank might be doing a valuation on the property and the broker just said will escalate it with the relationship manager and nothing since. Very annoying.

Gone with FI too. So so slow. Similar story with broker and these relationship managers. They all say they’ll escalate things, every couple of days..then nothing.

They did our valuation quickly but everything since has been snails pace. They replied after 25 days that they needed more documents because the ones we submitted were going out of date. Because they took so long.

The process with them has been absolutely infuriating. Couldn’t recommend them at this moment in time. Maybe other lenders just as bad atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Not any better with AIB, they generally reply once a week at best, nothing has moved since over a week and I'm worried the seller will eventually get tired of waiting.

Thats what im worried about too. Good to see some other banks are going at a snails pace too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 TessC

I got a mortgage from Finance Ireland recently. It took three weeks for the loan offer to come through - from the day I informed my broker I'd gone sale agreed to the day I was informed they'd issued the offer. The valuation happened in the second week, followed by a phone call with FI to confirm some details and request payment for the valuation. Once that was sorted, the application was sent for one last check with the underwriters and then the offer was sent out. In my case, I'd only just updated all my documents with my broker the week before I went sale agreed in preparation for reapplying for AIP so that helped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,765 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

If it's any comfort, I think most sellers are in the same boat at the moment and are being advised that it's all going slowly at the moment. When we went sale agreed the first bit of advise we got from the EA was that the process is going to be slow, and there will be days, even weeks where it will seem like nothing is happening but things are bubbling away in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,517 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's possible the vendor is in a buying chain for another property themselves, so they're trying to balance your closing date with the one on their new place. It can all be very tricky.

We'd a similar thing, took ages to get some planning stuff ironed out before we could commit to returning contracts, vendor was extremely antsy getting the EA to contact us to see what was going on.

If you've a good solicitor they should be able to put the vendor at ease by giving the vendor's solicitor a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,171 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

To be fair it’s probably in your interest to see what’s available every few years too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

The broker ignoring specific requests, is not in my interest. Interest rates are unlikely to go much lower and I would rather have this set at a low rate for 20 years (which decreases too with lower LTV over time) and miss out on further reductions, than potentially get hit with significant increases, multiple times over the next 20 years. The latter is far more likely.

Fairly certain that the broker in my case and OP's is not advising in our interests and is most certainly advising in their own best interests, i.e. less work and more/multiple commissions. If they really were interested in giving us options, it wouldn't be so difficult to get them to apply for more than one AIP, which is literally one of the main reasons for going through a broker in the first place - one application and multiple AIP's.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Klopp

The Lendor will 100% ask for proof. On your application your employment will say based in Dublin, your salary cert will also have this question ( exact location ) based on application to the lender for Employment and see house location is Sligo.

I would speak to your manager and HR to request a letter to say you will be based in the Sligo office FT and may be required in Dublin on occasion.

Broker finally got back to me to say its currently with the underwriter and once the decision is made the valuation will take place within one week.

Anyone have any idea how long the underwriters take. They haven’t requested anymore paper work yet. So just ordered up to date statements from the bank to have them ready for if/when they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭LBF21

house we were bidding on that went sale agreed is still up on myhome 3 weeks later. EA said will be up there until contracts are signed. I would have thought removed as soon a booking deposit received?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

makes sense for them to leave it up the sale isn't complete until contracts are signed

• Registered Users Posts: 17,765 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Depends from EA to EA and from sale to sale. We saw houses we bid on that weren't updated for weeks after going sale agreed. Ours was never taken down, but it was marked "Sale Agreed" within a couple of days of us paying the deposit, and marked "Sold" as soon as we picked up the keys. It's still up there at the moment as far as I know. Has the status of the sale changed on the listing?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭LBF21

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Has anyone had issues in terms of an insurer excluding flood cover and not being able to draw down?

We are sale agreed on a property but their is a stream about 200metres across the road. We can’t seem to get home cover including flood based on this even though latest I can see online for flooding was circa 35 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Did you try the AA? We have a stream at the back of our house too and from my recollection they did not ask if we were close to a water source. Our stream is barely a trickle and there has never been an issue with flooding.

If I remember right you’re finance ireland? We got told today that we have had our amount approved and now have to wait for a phone call to double check details before the offer is sent out. It’s taken 32 days to get here. Zzz

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

It seems to be different agent to agent. There is one certain South Dublin based agent that leaves everything as "for sale" until the contracts are signed. It's not something I'd be very happy with, as it encourages people to swoop in with higher bids.

DNG seem to have a good policy, as soon as booking deposit received the sign and listing were changed to Sale Agreed.

Have you asked the agent about this? Perhaps you could put some pressure on to have it marked SA as part of handing over your booking deposit?

Nice one. 32 days doesn’t seem too bad when im on day 22 now.

Did they ask you to submit anymore paper work ( slowing down the process even more )

Yea had to supply more salary certs and a payslip as by the time it got to day 20 it was a month old (out of date). So that slowed things. Think they can give the loan offer though and condition it based on salary certs at drawdown.

Im wondering now how long they’ll take to make this phone call.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Dublinandy3

Hi All,

These may be stupid questions but I seem to be getting nothing from my solicitor. If anyone could answer these it would be welcome:

1) My solicitor briefly mentioned when I was speaking to her to hire her that they'd contact the bank and formally accept the loan offer, is that actually true?

2) The house we're buying is currently being built, when would you typically get an actual completion date, how far in advance and would that come directly to us or via the solicitor?

Thanks in advance

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Ours was up as “for sale” right up until contracts were signed. It never went “sale agreed” online or on the sign outside the house - we just drove past it the day after we signed contracts and there was a “sold” sign outside, and when we checked Daft etc it was gone. Our solicitor said there’s a fair few sales falling through last minute due to Covid (either because people were on the PUP or because they had Covid and can’t get life insurance) so apparently a lot of agents are leaving the properties up online up until it’s a done deal.

can’t get life insurance if had Covid? Hadn’t heard that one. That’ll be tough on a good few people if the mortgage protection / life insurance industry doesn’t sort that out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Signed our mortgage protection forms yesterday & in the final forms for signing, there was a 2 page declaration about Covid - have you tested positive, have you been a close contact, all sorts of things. I was able to say no to everything but I did wonder what the situation would be if I had said yes. Some of the questions had "in the last three months" attached to them. Concerning for many people given that so many ended up catching it.

Advertisement