Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Clamped in Driveway in Managed Estate

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Clamping by anybody other than the state and authorised agents should (this isn't advice, it's what I think it should be) also be seen as crinmnal damage:

Criminal Damage Act, 1991
    Interpretation.

1. —(1) In this Act— ...

“to damage” includes—

(a) in relation to property other than data (but including a storage medium in which data are kept), to destroy, deface, dismantle or, whether temporarily or otherwise, render inoperable or unfit for use or prevent or impair the operation of,

(b) in relation to data—

(i) to add to, alter, corrupt, erase or move to another storage medium or to a different location in the storage medium in which they are kept (whether or not property other than data is damaged thereby), or

(ii) to do any act that contributes towards causing such addition, alteration, corruption, erasure or movement,

(c) to do any act within the State that damages property outside the State,

(d) to do any act outside the State that damages property within the State, and

(e) to make an omission causing damage,

2.—(1) A person who without lawful excuse damages any property belonging to another intending to damage any such property or being reckless as to whether any such property would be damaged shall be guilty of an offence.

(2) A person who without lawful excuse damages any property, whether belonging to himself or another—

(a) intending to damage any property or being reckless as to whether any property would be damaged, and

(b) intending by the damage to endanger the life of another or being reckless as to whether the life of another would be thereby endangered,

shall be guilty of an offence.

(3) A person who damages any property, whether belonging to himself or another, with intent to defraud shall be guilty of an offence.

(4) An offence committed under this section by damaging property by fire shall be charged as arson.

(5) A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable—

(a) on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding £1,000 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 12 months or both, and

(b) on conviction on indictment—

(i) in case the person is guilty of arson under subsection (1) or (3) or of an offence under subsection (2) (whether arson or not), to a fine or imprisonment for life or both, and

(ii) in case the person is guilty of any other offence under this section, to a fine not exceeding £10,000 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 10 years or both.

(6) For the purposes of this section a person is reckless if he has foreseen that the particular kind of damage that in fact was done might be done and yet has gone on to take the risk of it.

So, damage includes unlawful damage which "temporarily or otherwise, render inoperable or unfit for use or prevent or impair the operation of".

Taking action against an item which is being used to damage (as defined as above in the act, as your property is not likely to be... but you also have to ask questions such as is a motorist who drives onto and parks on property without permission or the right to do so also "damaging" somebody's property.

All grey areas until a court or more detailed legislation says otherwise?

I am not a lawyer and am not giving legal advice here or in any other post -- seek legal advice from a lawyer. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

monument wrote: »
    ... So, damage includes unlawful damage which "temporarily or otherwise, render inoperable or unfit for use or prevent or impair the operation of".
    I am not a lawyer and am not giving legal advice here or in any other post -- seek legal advice from a lawyer. :)
    A lawyer might also have noted that it is damage only if it is inflicted "without lawful excuse".

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

As I said...
    monument wrote: »
    ...but you also have to ask questions such as is a motorist who drives onto and parks on property without permission or the right to do so also "damaging" somebody's property.

Advertisement