Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Las Vegas Raiders Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

eire4 wrote: »
    No question given how tough the first half if the season was schedule wise if you offered me 4-3 I certainly would have taken it. Not going to get too excited yet but certainly looking at the 9 games remaining the chance is definitely there for the Raiders to grab a wild card spot.
    I'm just liking the fact that we still have something to fight for in November, although even by saying that shows how low we've become as a sports franchise....we're almost afraid to dream!!! The Pass rush or lack thereof still worries me but I'm much more confident and excited about the offensive side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Kev8360

oh my heart! those last 2 plays aged me about 5 years. we should have lost that game with all the mistakes we made but the chargers are making a habit of not killing off teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭eire4

Kev8360 wrote: »
    oh my heart! those last 2 plays aged me about 5 years. we should have lost that game with all the mistakes we made but the chargers are making a habit of not killing off teams.

Have to agree. The Raiders got away with one there although as you say the Chargers really do make a habit of blowing games so thankfully they kept that trend up. But given how hard overall the schedule was for the first half of the season to get to 5-3 is brilliant and a really big opportunity of not just a winning season but getting a wild card spot is very realistic now.

I was actually sitting there going "Thats it. We've blown it. Bloody typical" and I dont mind admitting my guilt in not having faith in the lads!! But the defense is still a worry. And whilst next week isnt the hardest opposition (although we could still lose, it isnt a lock) with the Broncos, the Chiefs will be fired up for that one. But hey! Its Monday after a win and the world is always a little better for that!!

I was actually sitting there going "Thats it. We've blown it. Bloody typical" and I dont mind admitting my guilt in not having faith in the lads!! But the defense is still a worry. And whilst next week isnt the hardest opposition (although we could still lose, it isnt a lock) with the Broncos, the Chiefs will be fired up for that one. But hey! Its Monday after a win and the world is always a little better for that!!

I had a few moments like that in the game - just right before half time when there was a big turn in momentum and they scored 10 pts in the last minute.

The Broncos are turning things around and I do worry that our defense will struggle to contain Phillip Lindsay.

That said I am much happier to be sitting at 5-3 than 4-4. Hopefully we get some of our O Line back in the next few weeks to have a real crack at the second half of the season.

Took us a while to get going last but the second half was really great to see the defense step it up and make some big plays. Pass rush was really getting after Drew Lock all night and the early hits I think contributed to the INTs he threw late on.

The run game really choked the life out of denver in the second half (time of posession was so lopsided) - good practice for what we need to do against Kansas City next week (we will certainly need it because they will come out firing after a week off an given we took away their unbeaten record).

The only thing I would be really worried about is the ability of our WRs to make crucial downfield plays - Waller, Ruggs and Aghalor all had big drops that in a tighter game would have killed us.

Apart from that , strong performance and great to see 6-3 for first time in forever ! (ok 10 years ago but if feels like longer)

Took us a while to get going last but the second half was really great to see the defense step it up and make some big plays. Pass rush was really getting after Drew Lock all night and the early hits I think contributed to the INTs he threw late on.

The run game really choked the life out of denver in the second half (time of posession was so lopsided) - good practice for what we need to do against Kansas City next week (we will certainly need it because they will come out firing after a week off an given we took away their unbeaten record).

The only thing I would be really worried about is the ability of our WRs to make crucial downfield plays - Waller, Ruggs and Aghalor all had big drops that in a tighter game would have killed us.

Apart from that , strong performance and great to see 6-3 for first time in forever ! (ok 10 years ago but if feels like longer)
    What about that Defense??? Where did they come from??? LOL. It was a great win and I think we need it going into next week's game. A good performance from all aspects of the team (Yes I know the passing game struggled, but the Ground game more than made up for it). I'll be honest, I'm not expecting much from next week's game but if we can control the ground game and keep Mahomes off the pitch (and KC are ranked 27th against the run) then we have a fighting chance. But yeah, 6 and 3...Whoop Whoop!!!

What about that Defense??? Where did they come from??? LOL. It was a great win and I think we need it going into next week's game. A good performance from all aspects of the team (Yes I know the passing game struggled, but the Ground game more than made up for it). I'll be honest, I'm not expecting much from next week's game but if we can control the ground game and keep Mahomes off the pitch (and KC are ranked 27th against the run) then we have a fighting chance. But yeah, 6 and 3...Whoop Whoop!!!

Yep I expect it will a much tougher challenge against the Chiefs next week. Andy Reid off the bye is almost perfect.

Yep I expect it will a much tougher challenge against the Chiefs next week. Andy Reid off the bye is almost perfect.

Can't see a double over the Chiefs but given the Raiders go in 6-3 its almost like a free shot. Nobody including myself expects a win. I am looking for a performance though that shows improvement against the top tier of the NFL. But assuming its a loss 6-4 is still really good and the final 6 games look winnable. The Colts and Dolphins the toughest but they are at home. At least going 4-2 there is doable which would see the Raiders finish 10-6 which you would think should be good enough for a wild card spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭golfball37

Can't see a double over the Chiefs but given the Raiders go in 6-3 its almost like a free shot. Nobody including myself expects a win. I am looking for a performance though that shows improvement against the top tier of the NFL. But assuming its a loss 6-4 is still really good and the final 6 games look winnable. The Colts and Dolphins the toughest but they are at home. At least going 4-2 there is doable which would see the Raiders finish 10-6 which you would think should be good enough for a wild card spot.

Agree 100%. We were always playing for second in this division with the chiefs in it, as would 28 other ball clubs. With an extra wc spot we are in a good position. I certainly would have taken it ten weeks ago

golfball37 wrote: »
    Agree 100%. We were always playing for second in this division with the chiefs in it, as would 28 other ball clubs. With an extra wc spot we are in a good position. I certainly would have taken it ten weeks ago
    It would appear that there is a consensus amongst us! I'm really happy with our position at the moment. Progress is in our own hands, if we dont take it we have no-one to blame but ourselves. Its a strange season (look at the NFC East!!!) but we need to take advantage of it. I'm still not at the stage where I can look at a match without the fear of a collapse but psychologically I'm getting there!!! :)

It would appear that there is a consensus amongst us! I'm really happy with our position at the moment. Progress is in our own hands, if we dont take it we have no-one to blame but ourselves. Its a strange season (look at the NFC East!!!) but we need to take advantage of it. I'm still not at the stage where I can look at a match without the fear of a collapse but psychologically I'm getting there!!! :)

Yep even last week I was looking at the Broncos Drive before halftime through my fingers. Nearly fell off the chair when we got the int in the endzone :D

Only got to see the highlights of the game but from what I saw we were very competitive and in it right to the end which Is great to see given all the defensive disruption during the week with guys on COVID restrictions.

Next week is a big game against Atlanta - really need to get a win there to set us up for a strong finish to the season and let’s see where we end up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,946 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You are a good draft away from being very serious contenders I think.
    Carr getting better all the time.
    I loved the audibles last night. Purple Walrus was awesome :D
    James Harden, Google and Mamba Georgia are the ones I remember.

Watched the highlights last night. A few observations:

1. Offensively we matched the Chiefs and there is no "Carr Controversy". That ship has well sailed. In addition, The receiving corps are well able to move the chains. I'd like to see Ruggs and Edwards getting involved more but I'm loving how Aghlohor and Renfrow are playing. And Carr trusts them.
    2. Waller is a beast. No other way to describe him.

3. Eagle eye made the comment about being a good draft away from being very serious contenders. Well that draft is really going to have to concentrate on Defense again. The amount of times the Chiefs were 2nd and 1! They seemed to gain yardage at will. Now I know that it was the Chiefs, but the games are not going to get easier and we will have to face teams like Miami and Pittsburgh. Our Defensive side of the ball will need to step up big time.
    4. Its great being relevant again!!!

• Advertisement

1. Offensively we matched the Chiefs and there is no "Carr Controversy". That ship has well sailed. In addition, The receiving corps are well able to move the chains. I'd like to see Ruggs and Edwards getting involved more but I'm loving how Aghlohor and Renfrow are playing. And Carr trusts them.

3. Eagle eye made the comment about being a good draft away from being very serious contenders. Well that draft is really going to have to concentrate on Defense again. The amount of times the Chiefs were 2nd and 1! They seemed to gain yardage at will. Now I know that it was the Chiefs, but the games are not going to get easier and we will have to face teams like Miami and Pittsburgh. Our Defensive side of the ball will need to step up big time.

100% agreed on the defense draft needs - we don't generate anywhere near enough pressure on the QB on a consistent basis to threaten the best teams in the conference. We are improving but it will take some exceptional talent to take us to the next level and we will be likely drafting in the middle of the round which makes it that much harder.

With that said.... going into December with a fighting chance at the playoffs is a good place to be!

The only way the Raiders will be playing the Steelers this season is in the playoffs so I certainly hope you prove to be right and the Raiders end up playing the Steelers at some point this season as that will mean its in the playoffs.

The only way the Raiders will be playing the Steelers this season is in the playoffs so I certainly hope you prove to be right and the Raiders end up playing the Steelers at some point this season as that will mean its in the playoffs.
    eire4, my bad! I dont know why I thought we had Pittsburgh on the schedule!!

eire4, my bad! I dont know why I thought we had Pittsburgh on the schedule!!

No worries. Lets hope though that was merely some clairvoyance on your part and the Raiders do end up playing Pittsburgh this season given that means it will be a playoff game.

More typical Raiders tonight. Two scores down to Atlanta at HT.

• Advertisement

Well that was a disaster - time to burn the tape on that game and move on

Well that was a disaster - time to burn the tape on that game and move on
    I've blanked it from my mind.......Well it wouldnt be our team if they didnt have one or two meltdown games in each season.

I've blanked it from my mind.......Well it wouldnt be our team if they didnt have one or two meltdown games in each season.

Yes lets just hope that fiasco was an aberration. At least its the Jets next up.

I was dumbfounded looking at that last night. How a team can go from the performance against the Chiefs to that is unexplainable.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I was dumbfounded looking at that last night. How a team can go from the performance against the Chiefs to that is unexplainable.
    Welcome to life as a Raiders fan, eagle eye!!:D

Welcome to life as a Raiders fan, eagle eye!!:D

I still remember the 2010 season when we won all our division games and still lost out on a playoff spot going 8-8 and finishing 3rd in the division!

If you didn’t laugh you’d cry.

Welcome to life as a Raiders fan, eagle eye!!
    I'm a Patriots fan. I've always liked the Raiders though and I like Derek Carr a lot.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm a Patriots fan. I've always liked the Raiders though and I like Derek Carr a lot.

Your franchise history could have been so much different for a certain decision against the Raiders many moons ago. The two teams will always have that sliding doors moment to share

Embarrassing stuff this evening. Good bye play offs.

OMFG !!!! Rugggsssss

• Advertisement

OMFG !!!! Rugggsssss

After last weeks disaster a win is a win but lets get real that was hardly anything to get excited about. Not feeling very optimistic about the playoffs now even at 7-5 and 3 of the last 4 games at home.

God, it was depressing, wasnt it? Where's the team that went toe to toe with Kansas only 2 games ago?? I felt so sorry for the Jets, we've been there and its not nice. But Indianapolis will wipe the floor with us if we play like that.

God, it was depressing, wasnt it? Where's the team that went toe to toe with Kansas only 2 games ago?? I felt so sorry for the Jets, we've been there and its not nice. But Indianapolis will wipe the floor with us if we play like that.

Sadly every word you say there is nail on the head.

Ourselves, Ravens and Miami are battling it out for last spot imo. New England could come into equation but can’t see it. I think Browns are a lock and I also think both teams in South will make post season. Beat Indy and I’ll start to think it’s possible but I can’t see it.

Ourselves, Ravens and Miami are battling it out for last spot imo. New England could come into equation but can’t see it. I think Browns are a lock and I also think both teams in South will make post season. Beat Indy and I’ll start to think it’s possible but I can’t see it.
    I'm not looking forward to next week. Whilst the Offense can compete, the Defense is odious. Rivers will carve up our secondary. And that means the Offense must perform...against a good defense...."curls up in foetal position and sucks thumb" :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Ah but its Rivers, and we like and know how to play against him. I'm expecting a win purely off the back of our hatred of Rivers :)

Guenther fired after last nights showing , not surprising but should have been done before now that the playoffs are essentially out of reach. Let’s see if they can improve under Rod Marinelli

Watched the match last night. A few thoughts:

Watching the Defence was painful last night. The Colts worked us up and down the field at will. And if we did manage to get to 3rd down, you just knew the Colts would make it every time. At one point last night the Commentators made an observation about our Defense, using Kwiatkowski as an example. It was as if the players were playing to a system and not using their own instincts to watch a play develop. So when the Colts RB broke for that 62 yard touchdown, there was no Raiders LB covering him as Kwiatkowski had dropped back into a zone without even looking to see what play was developing. So I'm wondering if it is the system that is stifling the players or is it that the players are inadequate?

I thought the offense did okay but failing to finish off drives in the Red Zone cost us. That interception against Waller in the End Zone was an amazing grab by the Colts DB. Hat duly doffed in his direction.

Watched the match last night. A few thoughts:

Watching the Defence was painful last night. The Colts worked us up and down the field at will. And if we did manage to get to 3rd down, you just knew the Colts would make it every time. At one point last night the Commentators made an observation about our Defense, using Kwiatkowski as an example. It was as if the players were playing to a system and not using their own instincts to watch a play develop. So when the Colts RB broke for that 62 yard touchdown, there was no Raiders LB covering him as Kwiatkowski had dropped back into a zone without even looking to see what play was developing. So I'm wondering if it is the system that is stifling the players or is it that the players are inadequate?

I thought the offense did okay but failing to finish off drives in the Red Zone cost us. That interception against Waller in the End Zone was an amazing grab by the Colts DB. Hat duly doffed in his direction.

Yeah I think that is a good question - kwiatkoski played well earlier this season and there are games where the defense have played really well(@kansas and home to saints) so I am not sure if its scheme or players - most likely a bit of both.

Every week I see some awful attempts at tackling players so it could be a case that Guenther was trying to paper over the cracks with a strict gameplan but it clearly is not working against teams late in the season. Even the Jets moved the ball easily enough on us!

That was an amazing interception just before halftime though by the colts - really was a big momentum turner.

• Advertisement

Fingers crossed for tonight, although more in hope than confident

I think that game answers the question of whether it was the defensive coach or players that was the issue. Huge improvements needed at all positions on defense in the off season. Secondary particularly is a cluster.

Yep, you've hit the nail on the head, Kev. Defense was awful. No, awful doesnt even begin to describe it. Putrid, abysmal. I was genuinely surprised by Mariota's play last night. I thought he did okay. Yes there was the pick but he was mostly efficient and had the ability to keep plays from breaking down by leaving the pocket. The Offense will do okay on his watch. Apparently Wade Philips wants the DC job....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

How long before Gruden gets the bullet? Are we any better than when under Del Rio?

mushykeogh wrote: »
    How long before Gruden gets the bullet? Are we any better than when under Del Rio?

Didn't he sign a massive 10 year contract, think he did. So if the Raiders want to fire him just 3 years in it will be quite the pay off. To be fair I feel at least there has been progress each year. Obviously this off season is big. There needs to be a serious upgrade on the defensive side of things to compliment the offense which while obviously not without holes is in pretty good shape.

Didn't he sign a massive 10 year contract, think he did. So if the Raiders want to fire him just 3 years in it will be quite the pay off. To be fair I feel at least there has been progress each year. Obviously this off season is big. There needs to be a serious upgrade on the defensive side of things to compliment the offense which while obviously not without holes is in pretty good shape.

I agree that there has been progress but my Main worry about the Raiders since Gruden has come back is that we have brought in so many players that have been with the team for less than a season and then released - it feels to me as if Gruden and Mayock are trying to throw enough players into the mix and hoping a team forms rather than having a plan for the defense.

From what I have seen of Jonathon Abrahm and Henry Ruggs I feel as if these were 2 misses in the 1st round (not busts because they can contribute) but they are not the difference makers we need them to be. Abrahm has very poor tackle technique and seems to want to go for the knock out blow everytime - that type of safety is a dinosaur in the NFL now.

I don't doubt Ruggs speed and I hope he proves me wrong next year but he has dropped too many passes this year and not shown enough awareness on touchline catches for him to prosper in a west coast offense.

The players we have drafted in the later rounds have been way better - Renfrow and Crosby have been highlights.

This offseason will be another big step - the rebuild will be harder as drafting in the middle of the pack so it will be key to get some players who can immediately contribute. Pressure is on Mayock because no way are we throwing 70 million away and getting a new Head Coach.

• Advertisement

Lads, in a rare moment of off topicness, can I take this opportunity to wish you all a very happy christmas? As Raiders fans we plough a bit of a lonely furrow, being a team that is existing on past glories as opposed to current success but its nice knowing that I'm not the only deluded lunatic out there. This year has been mental. I got COVID back in early March (I gig in a Band and went down with it following a gig in a Malahide venue that was crawling with Italians the weekend of the cancelled Rugby match) and, although I have a day job, my weekends have never been as quiet in 20 years! And December is the same. So American Football has certainly helped me stop going insane and I do enjoy logging on every Monday or Tuesday to see what you guys thought of our latest win/loss. So thank you! And may you all have a very happy christmas! Now back to the matter at hand..... :)

Lads, in a rare moment of off topicness, can I take this opportunity to wish you all a very happy christmas? As Raiders fans we plough a bit of a lonely furrow, being a team that is existing on past glories as opposed to current success but its nice knowing that I'm not the only deluded lunatic out there. This year has been mental. I got COVID back in early March (I gig in a Band and went down with it following a gig in a Malahide venue that was crawling with Italians the weekend of the cancelled Rugby match) and, although I have a day job, my weekends have never been as quiet in 20 years! And December is the same. So American Football has certainly helped me stop going insane and I do enjoy logging on every Monday or Tuesday to see what you guys thought of our latest win/loss. So thank you! And may you all have a very happy christmas! Now back to the matter at hand..... :)

Happy christmas to you as well ! wishing for a raiders win tomorrow to finish the year on a positive note.

Happy christmas to you as well ! wishing for a raiders win tomorrow to finish the year on a positive note.

Right back at you Happy Christmas and lets all hope for a much better 2021 both on and off the field.

I believe the phrase Last Chance Saloon is appropriate for this one.

So I didnt get a chance to watch the game live - I saw the score on Sunday morning and left it at that. Having watched it now all I can say is if you go 0 for 9(or whatever the final stat line was) on 3rd down and have the ball for 8 minutes less than your opponent the chances of winning are slim.

It may be a blessing that we don't go to the playoffs because I fear a hiding from the Bills in Buffalo based on the way the schedule is shaping up.

So I didnt get a chance to watch the game live - I saw the score on Sunday morning and left it at that. Having watched it now all I can say is if you go 0 for 9(or whatever the final stat line was) on 3rd down and have the ball for 8 minutes less than your opponent the chances of winning are slim.

It may be a blessing that we don't go to the playoffs because I fear a hiding from the Bills in Buffalo based on the way the schedule is shaping up.
    I stayed up and watching it was unbearable. Especially from the moment that Fitz went behind Center for Miami. Flores deserves to be coach of the year, for the way that he has transformed Miami. Gruden could do worse than to take a few leaves out of Flores's book. Also its painful watching knowing our only deep threat is Aglohoro and thats not why he was brought in , Ruggs is anonymous. Maybe he shapes up in the offseason but that 1st pick at the moment looks like a bust, if we take the season overall.

• Advertisement
Advertisement