Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Bandwagons

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

^^^^^hehehehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Riverdance and the resultant explosion of suburban children plastered in paedo friendly make up and attire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

People jumping on a bandwagon is good as its more people taking an interest in the sport, and why not take some enjoyment out of an Irish person succeeding? There are rules though:

a) Don't all of a sudden act like you are an expert in that sport and more importantly
    b) Don't stick the boot in when the bubble bursts for that particular team/ individual

I remember a Facebook page popping up when Donegal started to become successful under Jim McGuinness, culminating in a surprise All Ireland win in 2012. Lots of stuff posted while the celebrations lasted. A year later and Mayo absolutely hammered them in a quarter final. The person who ran the page posted something along the line of 'We need an inquiry into that performance, not good enough for us supporters.' That said, nowhere near the level of delusion on the 'Hill 16 Army' Facebook page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Katie Taylor. Personally I can't stand her myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

mad muffin wrote: »
    Anything that brings a bit of national pride is a good thing.

I don't think anyone posting could disagree with that, the coverage on the media is a bit heavy in fairness. That being said, I don't follow golf so I wouldn't know the significance of the tournament he won. Fair dues to the chap eitherways, I hope he trousered a nice few bob for it. Thing is though, it's a bit baffling to me that Irish people are pissed off that an Irishman won something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,290 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Arthur's day really made me lose respect for people. A day made up by a drinks company and people fell for it.

Saw some great live acts as part of that. People are allowed to get excited about a music festival. Didnt fall for anything.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

so they just get caught up in hype. Dont see why you would bother get annoyed by it

Did you even read the next sentence. Literally said I don't mind.
    Omackeral wrote: »
    People get caught up in the hype I guess. Plus it's a social thing and the buzz is contagious. I don't mind that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Sure look if the Irish won the world egg and spoon championships half the country would be celebrating it and flying flags :pac:

The Irish in general love a good moan about how ****e we are but Jesus as soon as where in with a chance of doing well at something the hype is on!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭liatroimabu

Omackeral wrote: »
    I saw it said in the Shane Lowry thread that him winning the Open has gotten the bandwagon fans on boards. I believe the Rugby one is due to pull in to the station soon though...

Which bandwagons do you recall being flavour of the month. Which annoyed you most? Did any of them pique your interest long-term and you became a fan because of a given athlete or team? Curious to know. Personally, I can't stand the arsehole that hops on the wagon and thinks they know everything.

Some I can think of off-hand would be;

Ireland at the Cricket World Cup in 2007.
    Bernard Dunne's rise and fall in the world of boxing.
    The O'Donovan brothers at the Olympics
    Ireland's Ladies in hockey

You could probably include every successful boxer in there, like its great for everyone getting behind them but mother of god you get lads that start ****eing on about it analyzing things as if they had done 12 rounds with Ali in his prime. Then they never mention a single boxing match again for the 12 months or so till another big Irish one rolls around.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The various Liberal agenda referendums

" yes equality" banners on Facebook etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Katie Taylor. Personally I can't stand her myself.
    I got to like her since she turned pro and started wearing Romanian prostitute style gear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Bloomsday. An excuse for middle-class pensioners in South Dublin to dress up in silly hats and ponce around the place, pretending that they've read Ulysses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Sure look if the Irish won the world egg and spoon championships half the country would be celebrating it and flying flags :pac:

The Irish in general love a good moan about how ****e we are but Jesus as soon as where in with a chance of doing well at something the hype is on!

It’s sport man I don’t care I’ll get behind it... demands of physical competition don’t diminish any it’s still the same mountain to climb with that egg

Not about to start chasing the hottest ticket in town that truly is the wrong sort of bandwagon jumping! Beware the contagion that makes some egotist very rich indeed where just one night of half arsedness can reap millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Bloomsday. An excuse for middle-class pensioners in South Dublin to dress up in silly hats and ponce around the place, pretending that they've read Ulysses.

They could be pretending to read worse.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

They could be pretending to read worse.

The library called; they want Gloria Hunniford’s autobiography back

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Annalise Murphy

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

I myself think they are lovely

shutterstock_137552255.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

While it's understandable the reasons for bandwagons in Irish sport small country lack of success etc the one that really annoys me is Irish rugby every time Ireland are playing pubs are full of **** in brand new jerseys talking ****e about coming in from the side or off your feet or other such nonsense but if you asked them to name an AIL team or even asked them what the AIL is they wouldn't have a scooby doo i'm dreading the rugby world cup as there'll be a plague of them around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Up The ‘RA.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Always have been a massive fan of the cricket. Think I'd be a good thrower if I had played it when I was younger. Murtagh threw really well.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Always have been a massive fan of the cricket. Think I'd be a good thrower if I had played it when I was younger. Murtagh threw really well.

:pac:

My da was a builder in the 70s in London and to bring me bacl cricket programs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Ireland bowled England out for 85. Incoming bandwagon

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I don't see this as a bad thing per se. If you told me two flies going up a wall and one is Irish I'd support it all the way.
    I went to some sort of farming show before (no idea how I ended up there) but in a livestock competition there was a prize bull from Castlemartyr, in Cork. I let out a cheer when he won like an eejit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Ireland bowled England out for 85. Incoming bandwagon

Just seen this all over Twitter. Off to read the rules of cricket on wikipedia in order to spend an afternoon on the bandwagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

razorblunt wrote: »
    I don't see this as a bad thing per se. If you told me two flies going up a wall and one is Irish I'd support it all the way.
    I went to some sort of farming show before (no idea how I ended up there) but in a livestock competition there was a prize bull from Castlemartyr, in Cork. I let out a cheer when he won like an eejit.

"Olé, Olé, Olé, Olé"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I recall the Katie Taylor bandwagon being a right good one.

The day she won her Olympic gold medal I was on the beach and a few people had the fight blaring on radios near us. When it was announced that Taylor had won (probably by Jimmy Magee) there was massive applause around the beach.

It brought me back around 20 years when me and my friends were on the same beach one night and 2 girls were fighting over a naggin of vodka. There was massive applause the same night when one of them jumped on top of the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Limerick after the Gaa last year..

They all abandoned their Munster jerseys for the green and white..

We'd all like to be hardcore like you, continuing to attend matches in Thomond Park all through the summer. Players cannot even rise to that.

The 'Ruck it and Puck it' statue is on O'Connell St. for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Conor McGregor band wagon was just the most embarrassing "He's Ireland's greatest ever sports person!" said at 2.30am in a beer garden. As if.

Then seeing lads around wearing the suits, drinking his whiskey and the actual fights on the street that used to happen in and around his fights. In time people will realise how thick they were about it all.

In every other sport though I think it's nice that Irish people have collective pride in even the small acheivements in sports. It fosters, at times, a great collective spirit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,723 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I've been a huge Irish cricket fan since earlier today.
    Come on you boys with bats
    #coybwb

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Scoundrel wrote: »
    While it's understandable the reasons for bandwagons in Irish sport small country lack of success etc the one that really annoys me is Irish rugby every time Ireland are playing pubs are full of **** in brand new jerseys talking ****e about coming in from the side or off your feet or other such nonsense but if you asked them to name an AIL team or even asked them what the AIL is they wouldn't have a scooby doo i'm dreading the rugby world cup as there'll be a plague of them around.

Plenty of people who have traditionally watched rugby have been mostly supporters of the national team during the 6N. Don’t see the necessity to know much about the AIL.

Advertisement