Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you report someone for Social Welfare fraud

• 21-07-2019 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Ok I know of a least three people claiming jobseekers and disability while working on the side, another I know who has a medical card when his wife is on over €80,000, all people I know, we're breaking our ass getting up at 6 every morning to go to work, getting peed off with it, would you report them or say f**k it if they can get away with it leave them off?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Am no a grass.

But seriously, snitches get stitches.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,531 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Is there a reward? Asking for a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Is there a reward? Asking for a friend.

I hope there is, I'd make a fortune with all of them I know screwing the system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Properly not ,just begrudge them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It would depend on their circumstances and the level of fraud..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Don't know, it's deeply ingrained in our psyche!

I guess though with all the technology around welfare will catch up with them sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Yes why wouldn't you ....

So many getting away with it from using fake bus passes to those that were cancelled or a family members. Similar to using the disability badge for parking....

Just because you think it's getting one up on the gubernment it's not.... We owe 200billion and counting and the gobsheens running this country seem to want to make that worse with all those on welfare whether here already or importing more.....

Our fighters from 1916 would be turning in their graves.....

Fook you all to the scammer backstards you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

GoneHome wrote: »
    Ok I know of a least three people claiming jobseekers and disability while working on the side, another I know who has a medical card when his wife is on over €80,000, all people I know, we're breaking our ass getting up at 6 every morning to go to work, getting peed off with it, would you report them or say f**k it if they can get away with it leave them off?

Nope. I don't agree with fraud but at the same time I'm not one for meddling in other peoples' business. They will quite possibly get caught out one way or another.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Isn't this the millionth thread on this very question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Report all the insurance fraudsters ya know 1st OP ;)

On disability, the person could be on partial benefit or have permission to work 20hrs a week.

On Jobseekers they may be doing X's and O's

On the medical card I know many people who are in excess of the income limits but due to medical conditions or it being awarded and valid prior to some jump in the family income it remained valid until it's next expiry date/review.

If you are certain, if you know that none of the above apply then report away.
    Don't assume that you know all the circumstances tho, and in fairness given the amount of data and oversight for the majority of claimants it's naive to assume that unless they are dealing drugs or working nixers completely under the table, there will be a cash trail.

It would depend on their circumstances and the level of fraud..

It's probably low level fraud, claiming jobseekers or disability €200 per week but working cash in hand then as well, plus getting rent paid and medical card, it all adds up, it's us tax payer who are subsidising it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

would you report them or say f**k it if they can get away with it leave them off?

Doing the odd "nixer" on the side I'd be ok with but anything more and I think if your a decent human being you have to rat on them, it's not fair on all those people who get up early every day for work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Absolutely no issues if they’re long term on the fiddle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

if they are doing a small job here and there to boost their income and pay a few bills then no i wouldnt . nothing major wrong with that
    you have t remember that those people are spending their money locally and helping the economy a bit

if they are taking the piss and milking the system then yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Snitches end in ditches,

so no i wouldnt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Claimants of Disability Allowance are allowed to work up to 15 hours per week, in certain circumstances.

Someone can be granted a medical card based on medical grounds even if over the limit.

Someone can claim Jobseekers for days they don't work, while working other days.

My point is - unless you are 100% certain of your facts, then it leave well enough alone.

I'm always amazed by how much some people think they know about other peoples business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

You can work on Disability, you can earn I think up to €300 a week and still get a part-payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Yep in a heartbeat. Don't have a problem with someone in genuine need , but f**ked if I'd let a scammer go free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,203 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Doesn’t sound like you actually have any evidence that the people you know are committing fraud. A more accurate question is whether or not one would report suspected fraud?

Honestly, nope. I just couldn’t bring myself to care enough for other people to the degree that I’d be so invested in their lives I’d want to see someone prosecuted for being suspected of committing fraud.

• Advertisement

My mother worked all her life from a young age, had 4 kids and worked....

Gor terminal cancer with only months to live and as my dad worked she wasn't entitled to a medical card and here is the clinger his job paid absolutely sh1te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

There are back to work schemes where you keep benefits for a period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

How do you know they are committing social welfare fraud?

AFAIK someone on disability allowance can work. There is an individual rate or family rate depending on circumstances and an income disregard level, above which a percentage of further income is deducted from any disability payment.

Similarly for there are circumstances where a person may qualify for a medical card irrespective of their (or family) income.

Yep in a heartbeat. Don't have a problem with someone in genuine need , but f**ked if I'd let a scammer go free.

The thing I'd struggle with is how would you discern who is "in genuine need" and who "is not" (I suppose). Do we really know the full story? Do we need to?
    Before anyone has a potential go at me I work and therefore pay my taxes :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭corner of hells

You may be entitled to a medical card without being means tested once you satisfy a list of certain conditions.
    It's also possible to work and be on a disability allowance, again under certain conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

I wouldn't just because of the amount of threads on Boards about the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,531 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Do they actually prosecute? What are the penalties?

banie01 wrote: »
    Don't assume that you know all the circumstances tho, and in fairness given the amount of data and oversight for the majority of claimants it's naive to assume that unless they are dealing drugs or working nixers completely under the table, there will be a cash trail.

Banie01 I'm certain on the fraud with the girl on €80,000 working for the HSE, a Medical Card, the husband stays at home minding the two kids, jesus we're breaking our ass working and still have to pay €60 to see the doctor, it annoys me that they can get away with it (and this is not here say she told me that she swinndled the system)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭Allinall

Am no a grass.

But seriously, snitches get stitches.

Snitches don’t generally get stitches, unless they’re inflicted by uncouth thugs, which would justify the snitching in the first place.

Reporting criminally is never wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Banie01 I'm certain on the fraud with the girl on €80,000 working for the HSE, a Medical Card, the husband stays at home minding the two kids, jesus we're breaking our ass working and still have to pay €60 to see the doctor, it annoys me that they can get away with it (and this is not here say she told me that she swinndled the system)

But do you know his medical history?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

AulWan wrote: »
    Claimants of Disability Allowance are allowed to work up to 15 hours per week, in certain circumstances.

Someone can be granted a medical card based on medical grounds even if over the limit.

Virtually impossible to be eligible for a medical card if you are working full time, regardless of the severity of your illness. 2 million people in the State have some type of medical card. I doubt anyone is ever convicted for medical card fraud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Do they actually prosecute? What are the penalties?

They can prosecute, separately I know someone who was caught by revenue working and collecting benefit.
    Then working legally and earning
    cash from a separate employment.
    They rattled off details of all his and wives cars over 15 years , details of how much they reckoned he earned cash in hand and told him how much they reckoned he owed the state in tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

fmpisces wrote:
    The thing I'd struggle with is how would you discern who is "in genuine need" and who "is not" (I suppose). Do we really know the full story? Do we need to? Before anyone has a potential go at me I work and therefore pay my taxes

A social welfare inspector can make that decision. I'd report someone I thought was scamming. Simple

Abba987 wrote: »

I second that....

You or anyone can report anonymous online and it will never come back to you.

I will have no hesitation in doing exactly that... Sick of working and seeing what I see.

• Advertisement

fmpisces wrote: »
    The thing I'd struggle with is how would you discern who is "in genuine need" and who "is not" (I suppose). Do we really know the full story? Do we need to?
    Before anyone has a potential go at me I work and therefore pay my taxes :D

That is up to the relevant authorities to assess. Not any individual to decide.

Virtually impossible to be eligible for a medical card if you are working full time, regardless of the severity of your illness. 2 million people in the State have some type of medical card. I doubt anyone is ever convicted for medical card fraud.

That's the problem with this couple, he's claiming he's just renting a room in her house even though they have two kids together, he's letting on his single on disabillity even though the partner is in a big job in the HSE earnign €80,000

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

€80,000 working for the HSE still claiming SW you must be joking. I'd report them and I'd tell them to their face I was the one who reported them. PM me their name and I'll do it straightaway. That person is an utter scumbag. Report, report, report! I've half a mind to report you for failure to report a crime and because they should investigate what you know.

Someone working for a little cash in hand I probably wouldn't report. Family and friends would get a lot more leeway than someone who wasn't.

Not impossible, I have a full medical card based on medical grounds and work full-time.

A social welfare inspector can make that decision. I'd report someone I thought was scamming. Simple

Fair enough. But I think you'd need to be 100% sure, thinking they are scamming simply isn't enough. Not fair bringing that kind of stress on a family/individual based on assumption only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

I second that....

You or anyone can report anonymous online and it will never come back to you.

I will have no hesitation in doing exactly that... Sick of working and seeing what I see.

Same. And if reported in error then this will also be discovered.

Virtually impossible to be eligible for a medical card if you are working full time, regardless of the severity of your illness.

It really isn't, I worked full time up until very recently and was far in excess of medical card income limits.

However due to my own medical conditions and history I've had a medical card for nearly 20yrs.
    Always honest on my renewal form, always provide all requested detail and always held the card.

I also hold medical insurance, but due to the nature of my own illnesses quite a lot of my care is GP based and the medical covers this for me.

€80,000 working for the HSE still claiming SW you must be joking. I'd report them and I'd tell them to their face I was the one who reported them. PM me their name and I'll do it straightaway. That person is an utter scumbag. Report, report, report! I've half a mind to report you for failure to report a crime and because they should investigate what you know.

Someone working for a little cash in hand I probably wouldn't report. Family and friends would get a lot more leeway than someone who wasn't.

Absolutely the more I think about it I'm going to report them in the morning, can they back date it cause they;ve been screeing the system with years

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

AulWan wrote: »
    Not true, I have a full medical card based on medical grounds and work full-time.

I didn't get one despite being on on dialysis twice in my life but fair play to you, I just hate paying for meds forever that's all.

Absolutely the more I think about it I'm going to report them in the morning, can they back date it cause they;ve been screeing the system with years

Look you know more about the situation than we do.
    At he very least after your report, the will be assessed and reviewed by an SW inspector.
    Based on what you have said, it needs to be looked at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,203 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

banie01 wrote: »
    Look you know more about the situation than we do.
    At he very least after your report, the will be assessed and reviewed by an SW inspector.
    Based on what you have said, it needs to be looked at.

Sounds more like the OP just doesn’t like their neighbours tbh. I doubt they’ll get the outcome they’re hoping for.

Sounds more like the OP just doesn’t like their neighbours tbh. I doubt they’ll get the outcome they’re hoping for.

You think? I'll let you know how it goes.......

Would you report someone for Social Welfare fraud

Yes, if I could also report all the self-employed tradespeople/businesspeople/professionals who are not paying tax on all their income by virtue of substantial amounts of undeclared income/cash price jobs, etc. In my experience, that's a far more common defrauding of this state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I would blackmail them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Report them OP, I hate this s**t

• Advertisement
Advertisement