Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On Accident vs By Accident

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

A friend of mine is American and she says “on accident” - the first time I heard her say it, I laughed, because it sounded so strange; it still does because it’s WRONG!!

Also, the amount of people who don’t know how to use there, their or they’re correctly in a sentence is mind boggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭steve-o

unpossible
    That's perfectly cromulent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

You know what they say. You will always make a mistake yourself when correcting someones grammar.

And rightly so!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

seagull wrote: »
    But that's what they're thought in collage.

:D

I know somebody who mixes up thought & taught all the time, but I can't bring myself to correct them. Maybe I should?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

"accidentally" works fine..

I have never lost since my teaching days my "red pen " mentality. I see every error.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Most one sided poll ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

My daughters say ‘...by an accident’

No idea where they got it from. They have their own way of saying many things like ‘I wanted to wonder...’ when asking/wondering about something. It makes them unique and I have no intention of correcting them.

Advertisement