Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a girl and a lad just be mates?

Options
  • 08-05-2019 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭

In my.experierience, if a girl.has a boyfriend, she will never get close.enough to another lad, automatically it will create a distance unless the girl has no attraction for the guy or so much that she would.cheat on her bf with him.and thus might want to get closer

I honestly don't believe they can be, at least not proper mates unless they know each other years or have a buffer of someone else in the relationship(lad might be close to a girl if it's his close mates girlfriend)

I actually think the distance.is.on behalf of girls. They either fancy a guy and want to be his gf or have no interest and thus won't be worth their time being friends

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I'm sure they can

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Yup! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

My wife is my best friend. Aside from my wife, I have some other female friends that I've never dated etc from university. So, they can be friends, in short.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Berserker wrote: »
    Firstly, my wife is my best friend. Aside from my wife, I have some other female friends that I've never dated etc from university. So, they can be friends, in short.

Yeh u have a wife.so they're comfortable. I think girls are reluctant to be mates with single guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Well yeah. Why not?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement

It shouldn't be a burden for people who are emotionally mature.

Well yeah. Why not?

Anecdotal but my.line.of.thinking

Girl either has romantic or sexual interest in a guy
    If none, she might be a friend but not a proper friend. Will make no effort and its more a circumstancial acquaintance than anything.
    Furthermore, if a girl has a boyfriend, she'll be reluctant to get too close to other guys.

Not.saying I am right just my theory, wondering is there anything to it.

Not if he is attracted to her, no. No matter what anyone might like to believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

JayZeus wrote: »
    Not if he is attracted to her, no. No matter what anyone might like to believe.
    And vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Jim 77

Yes, if he's gay and she's a lesbian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

Use your intelligence if you have any.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

My best friend is a boy .. he has been my best friend since I’ve been seven.. Over thirty odd years now (wow pretty cool when I see it written, long time) I’m married and he has a girl friend now but we have stuck with each other for all these years.. went to different secondary schools, colleges etc.. still mates. The dynamic changed certainly when I got married, my husband is closer to me but surely that’s expected. I imagine he tells his girlfriend more than he tells me. We have never been romantically or otherwise involved, we used to say we were brother and sister when we were younger. He’s set me up with his mates and I’ve set him up with mine over the years. We are friends, really good friends, we have never over thought it.
    He probably knows as much about me as my husband.. he’s been around longer to be fair and after my husband would be my first port of call for help or drink or whatever. He’s just there, as am I for him. Can’t be analyzing these things too much.

Use your intelligence if you have any.

Lighten up! It was a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

Jim 77 wrote: »
    Lighten up! It was a joke.

It wasn't a joke. If a person needs to ask a question like that there is more than a screw lose.

I might as well create a thread title 'can i get pregnant if a guy touches my boobs.'

After hours was always a bit of a hovel but since boards was taken over by the media, who knows what threads are genuine and what are red herrings.....

It wasn't a joke. If a person needs to ask a question like that there is more than a screw lose.

I might as well create a thread title 'can i get pregnant if a guy touches my boobs.'

After hours was always a bit of a hovel but since boards was taken over by the media, who knows what threads are genuine and what are red herrings.....

Ah ok, I thought you were replying to my post which was just above yours.

gogo wrote: »
    My best friend is a boy .. The dynamic changed certainly when I got married ....We have never been romantically or otherwise involved,...we have never over thought it.
    ....Can’t be analyzing these things too much.

Play it down all you want but guaranteed there were times when he wanted it to be more than that. You can’t be 7 forever.

The dynamic of your relationship with him changed because you got married. That closed a door in a sense and you’re likely greatly overestimating how close you really are now or indeed have been in the past.

I reckon it’s common enough to be fair. I wonder how many women realise it though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

It depends.

If there are no romantic feelings then yeah, the friendship will work just fine.

More often then not, however, lads who are friends with women want to be more than friends, in other words, they fall into the trap of being orbiters or 'friend-zoned'.

That can go the other way too, but I think women can sense if it's just going to be a friendship and can somewhat pull away a bit from that friendship rather than some men who think remaining friends mean they somehow have a chance later on.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

No OP. Its literally impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

JayZeus wrote: »
    Play it down all you want but guaranteed there were times when he wanted it to be more than that. You can’t be 7 forever.

The dynamic of your relationship with him changed because you got married. That closed a door in a sense and you’re likely greatly overestimating how close you really are now or indeed have been in the past.

I reckon it’s common enough to be fair. I wonder how many women realise it though?
    Yeah you know better than us womens. ;)

You have literally zero evidence that the guy wanted to be more than friends with gogo.

Men aren't always sex mad willing to get up on any woman at all. There are women whom they don't fancy and can be friends with.

Even people who fancy the other person can still be just friends with them - it's not ideal but where's the rule that they can't be friends still?

And there's a difference between sexually attracted to and in love with. The latter would be pretty painful and likely doom the friendship, but the former would be gotten over in time.

• Advertisement

Yeah you know better than us womens. ;)

You have literally zero evidence that the guy wanted to be more than friends with gogo.

Men aren't always sex mad willing to get up on any woman at all. There are women whom they don't fancy and can be friends with.

Even people who fancy the other person can still be just friends with them - it's not ideal but where's the rule that they can't be friends still?

Where's this thing about men being sex mad from? Men are the more hopelessly romantic of the two sexes. The guy definitely at one stage had some romantic feelings, maybe strong ones.

Where's this thing about men being sex mad from? Men are the more hopelessly romantic of the two sexes. The guy definitely at one stage had some romantic feelings, maybe strong ones.
    Definitely? Where is the evidence of this? He may have, he may not.

(I said men *aren't* always sex mad).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

if there is attraction it is difficult and probably not worth the blue balls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

I think so, yes, or at least I find it to be possible. And it doesn't mean that I think the guy is sexually unattractive, I usually do in fact think that they are wonderful, because it is all part of the whole person. A brilliant mind or a kind heart is incredibly attractive, which is a feeling naturally infused with some amount of eros, as is every zest for life. Though one has every possibility of just letting that be the simple truth and not dwelling or acting on it.

I have very few close friends and a couple are men. It is a sisterly affection for them - philia, though I can acknowledge quite readily their attractive maleness, their difference to me - eros. What's the problem with that? It's not like one is a hapless bundle of unrestrained reflexes - surely maturity is about balancing.

My husband works closely with lovely lassies in his job and they are very friendly with each other, he will phone them before me if their expertise in a professional area is what he needs. And sometimes just for a nice chat and a bit of craic. And it would be mad to think that he does not notice their loveliness, of course he does. Human beings are often quite adorable. He does, just as I notice my male friends are lovely in many possible ways. And yet we manage to not self-combust with those realities. Fnck sake, that's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Attraction can be a driving force in getting guys and girls together in conversation, even as friends.

While I do believe that members of the opposite sex can just be friends I think in a lot of cases that one of them is “jacking”, or “jilling”, over the other late at night.

I find it’s the friends made through work that tend to be the most platonic but, I mean, most of us have been guilty of “dipping the pen in the company ink” and probably learned the lesson that it’s not a great idea in the long term.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I'm sure they can, but personally - no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

According to most girls I've asked out the answer is yes :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

I lived with a guy in college, we were good friends and I really fancied him but I sensed he didn't feel the same so I never pursued it. He's married now, we're still good friends, the attraction has long since faded and I can see very clearly that we wouldn't have made a good couple.

I have lots of male friends. In my early 20s when nights out involved a lot of booze (and the rest) I ended up in bed with one of them on more than one occasion. That doesn't tend to happen these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

No, I've found over the years if I'm attracted to her I'll try it on, if not I wont, I've never been on anything more than on civil terms with a woman I havent wanted to ride.

In a long term committed relationships now so them days are behind me

I'm sure some men can with no problem but I've never had close female friends, just acquaintances

Advertisement