Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish people supporting English football teams

• 01-05-2019 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

I just don't get it. Why are Irish people so fanatical about English football teams. I particularly laugh at the way they talk about individual players being loyal to particular teams. Do they really care about the fans or the 100k they are getting a week. 😂

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

soccer forum maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Well, this is new........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭mightybashful

physioman wrote: »
    I just don't get it. Why are Irish people so fanatical about English football teams. I particularly laugh at the way they talk about individual players being loyal to particular teams. Do they really care about the fans or the 100k they are getting a week. 😂

Lower than a snake's belly....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,698 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Do they really care about the fans or the 100k they are getting a week. ��
    Only mediocre players get £100,000 a week these days...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,260 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Groundbreaking stuff OP, congrats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Gonad

Irish people are some of the most hypocritical in the world . We claim to be this special proud country that looks after our own. The truth is we hate to see our own do well and would rather pay out money to fly to the uk to watch football rather than spending a few quid a week supporting our nearest Irish team .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The Irish league is absolute trash because of the FAI, having the CEO getting a salary multiples of the winner of the league is a prime example of how absolutely sh!t it was destined to be forever at the control of such twats, supporters have a lot to answer for accepting this for many decades.

With the change of board it might become better but supporters are the driving force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

Pretty embarrassing how upset they get about it all. Some of them have never even set foot in the place these teams are from!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

Jesus!!
    OP here since 2011 and this is the best they can come up with.
    1/10.
    Hack of this thread.
    Use the search function FFS!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Did we not have a thread on this a few weeks ago? You need some new material OP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Irish people speaking in English, cad é an scéal ansin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Necro wrote: »

We're a bit thin on the ground this time of year for thteads ,so it's either this , a poppy rant or teachers being on holiday for 86 weeks a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Gonad wrote: »
    Irish people are some of the most hypocritical in the world . We claim to be this special proud country that looks after our own. The truth is we hate to see our own do well and would rather pay out money to fly to the uk to watch football rather than spending a few quid a week supporting our nearest Irish team .

I do laugh at Irish fans abroad being loved for tidying up a city after a days drinking yet when there are games on in the Aviva I don't see too many of them lifting the rubbish off the streets around ballsbridge

Necro wrote: »

Not trying to be original. Just reading posts after the Liverpool game and laughing at how serious Irish people are about English football. Didn't realise I wasn't allowed to repeat topics on after hours forum 🙄

I do laugh at Irish fans abroad being loved for tidying up a city after a days drinking yet when there are games on in the Aviva I don't see too many of them lifting the rubbish off the streets around ballsbridge

They dont sit around Ballsbridge all day drinking before a game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Not trying to be original. Just reading posts after the Liverpool game and laughing at how serious Irish people are about English football. Didn't realise I wasn't allowed to repeat topics on after hours forum ��

You seem annoyed though. If it bothers you, ignore it. You're not a closet Liverpool fan are you :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Because the standard is way better with multitudes of Irish influence across the leagues and the FAI is a corrupt organisation which severely hampers the progress of the domestic game.

That simple.

We're a bit thin on the ground this time of year for thteads ,so it's either this , a poppy rant or teachers being on holiday for 86 weeks a year.

Your thread on ' before i kill my work colleague' was an insightful, fascinating read 😂

I don't know why Irish people are watching soccer anyway. We have football and hurling here, you don't have to be watching borefests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,623 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I just don't get it. Why are Irish people so fanatical about English football teams. I particularly laugh at the way they talk about individual players being loyal to particular teams. Do they really care about the fans or the 100k they are getting a week. ��

Done this to death: the quality is better, the premier league has fans all over the world, not just in Ireland (or England for that matter), some of us do watch Irish league and support Irish football teams as well and it's hereditary (as in, we grew up with parents and uncles watching it, so....)

Simples.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,973 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The Irish league is absolute trash because of the FAI, having the CEO getting a salary multiples of the winner of the league is a prime example of how absolutely sh!t it was destined to be forever at the control of such twats, supporters have a lot to answer for accepting this for many decades.

With the change of board it might become better but supporters are the driving force.

But is this reason simply NOT to go to watch your local team, ever?

Or just a convenient excuse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Done this to death: the quality is better, the premier league has fans all over the world, not just in Ireland (or England for that matter), some of us do watch Irish league and support Irish football teams as well and it's hereditary (as in, we grew up with parents and uncles watching it, so....)

Simples.

And I didn't kill my work colleague either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,623 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

And I didn't kill my work colleague either.

Achievement unlocked!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I don't know why Irish people are watching soccer anyway. We have football and hurling here, you don't have to be watching borefests.

Well in the same way that some people have no interest in soccer, some of us have no interest in Gaelic football or hurling. Or plenty of other sports, for that matter, but if someone wants to go off and watch a tennis match, for example, I'm not going to tell them not to just because it bores the arse off me. It's all part of what makes each of us individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,016 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

It all started when Match of the Day was shown on tv. Before then Irish soccer got huge support. It actually seems to be on the increase now, which is a good sign.

Unfortunately, the FAI are more concerned with paying the blazers rather than putting money into the Irish sides. The prize money for the League of Ireland is paltry and they are happy to let the English clubs poach any young talent to train them up for consideration for the national side. Lower divisions too, not the Premier League.

I follow an English side myself, Championship but hopefully going to get up in the play offs. That’s due to family and exposure as a youth.

Was actually out tonight meeting friends while the Barcelona vs Liverpool semi final of the Champions League was on and I have to say it was embarrassing to see groups of Manchester United fans out singing about Barcelona on the walk to the bus after the game. Really sad behaviour.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Zaph wrote: »
    Well in the same way that some people have no interest in soccer, some of us have no interest in Gaelic football or hurling. Or plenty of other sports, for that matter, but if someone wants to go off and watch a tennis match, for example, I'm not going to tell them not to just because it bores the arse off me. It's all part of what makes each of us individuals.

Oh yeah, but would you get so upset and into fights with somebody over a tennis player? People who've never set foot in either Liverpool or Manchester get in huge arguments with each other, call each other scouse scum or manc scum etc. Obviously, that's not everyone but it's a bit pathetic isn't it?

Oh yeah, but would you get so upset and into fights with somebody over a tennis player? People who've never set foot in either Liverpool or Manchester get in huge arguments with each other, call each other scouse scum or manc scum etc. Obviously, that's not everyone but it's a bit pathetic isn't it?

Totally,but its still possible to support "your" team without the local rivalry the brits have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Clan culture .. not a new thing. Same way women ****e themselves over the latest garb one of the Instargom fluencers spout on about or the D4 heads shouting for the Maori Fiachra playing for New Zealand . Not gonna stop or change any time soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Oh yeah, but would you get so upset and into fights with somebody over a tennis player?

I wouldn't, but I wouldn't do it over a football team either. Some would, admittedly, but for me having a bit of craic with friends or work colleagues about your respective teams is all part of the fun and enjoyment of following soccer. Just as it is with all team sports.

Advertisement