Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patrick Quirke -Guilty

Options
  • 01-05-2019 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

Seems to me the ex had something to do with this too

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Very odd, he'll surely appeal. Whatever about the ins and outs of the case, there was no clear evidence that he murdered anybody. All they really demonstrated was possible motive.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Very odd, he'll surely appeal. Whatever about the ins and outs of the case, there was no clear evidence that he murdered anybody. All they really demonstrated was possible motive.

Not a shread of evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,030 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Seems to me the ex had something to do with this too

Good job he/she is your 'ex' then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭PinotNero

Kind of surprised.I believe he probably did it but the evidence was weak.

I imagine he'll appeal the sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

A lot of indications he was up to no good but no actual evidence.
    Hardly proven beyond a reasonable doubt. The bauld Mary Lowry was as dodgy as he was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Very surprised.

Listening to the daily trial updates, I was wondering how the prosecution brought a case at all.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Although the evidence was circumstantial, it certainly wasn’t ‘weak’.

The moment I heard he had been searching for how long it takes bodies to decompose on the internet in the days after Bobby Ryan went missing, I knew he was guilty as sin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

Based on what was in the media its a shocking verdict. Very little evidence to send somebody down for a life sentence.

In fact more suspicion on the lowry woman imo than quirke.

On an aside..there seems to be some fierce amount of middle aged riding going on. I'll never believe my single mates telling me its hard to date in your 40s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Odelay

The staging of finding the body was a bit of a give away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I wasn't surprised it was taking the jury ages but knew they'd come back fairly quickly after this mornings directive from the judge

Evidence was a bit circumstantial for my liking.

Based on media anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Based on what was in the media its a shocking verdict. Very little evidence to send somebody down for a life sentence.

In fact more suspicion on the lowry woman imo than quirke.

On an aside..there seems to be some fierce amount of middle aged riding going on. I'll never believe my single mates telling me its hard to date in your 40s.
    I remember reading a few years back that STIs were increasing rapidly in the over 50s!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

Faugheen wrote: »

The moment I heard he had been searching for how long it takes bodies to decompose on the internet in the days after Bobby Ryan went missing, I knew he was guilty as sin.

I know what you mean..but ive looked up mad **** on the net too...and that particular stuff too....its not enough to send somebody down for a life sentence imo...

The burden of proof should be very high cos the consequences are very high and I dont this it was even close to that in this case.

Did they say those searches were in the days after and did they present evidence as to who performed the searches?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Scary that you could get a life sentence based on that evidence.

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Did they say those searches were in the days after and did they present evidence as to who performed the searches?

Yes they did, and Patrick Quirke admitted to the Gardai to searching that on the internet but claimed it was in relation to his dead son.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Surely Mary Lowry could have been found as guilty of him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Yes they did, and Patrick Quirke admitted to the Gardai to searching that on the internet but claimed it was in relation to his dead son.

Who hadn’t actually died yet.

Only he managed to search if before his son died...

I think it would have been terrible if he wasn’t found guilty. Glad he isn't getting away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Odelay wrote: »
    I think it would have been terrible if he wasn’t found guilty. Glad he isn't getting away with it.

Said with scary conviction! Just hope that if any misfortune befalls you and you end up on trial, that the jurors will be open minded :)

• Advertisement

Odelay wrote: »

Same. Think people need to learn the difference between circumstantial evidence and no evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭ongarite

Lots of evidence against him was ruled inadmissible by his defence team.
    Details on RTE:
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0501/1046863-what-the-quirke-trial-jury-didnt-hear/

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Said with scary conviction! Just hope that if any misfortune befalls you and you end up on trial, that the jurors will be open minded :)

The jury took 20 hours to deliberate the verdict. Sounds to me like they were very open minded.

I presented a huge piece of evidence in this thread which pointed towards his guilt and you’ve completely ignored it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

BPKS wrote: »
    Very surprised.

Listening to the daily trial updates, I was wondering how the prosecution brought a case at all.

Exactly my response to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Justice

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 15,317 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Yer wan seems to have been ridin like a rampant rabbit

And he’d get up on a cracked plate

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Its important to note that the guards did a shambles of a job in this case, real amateur stuff.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Yer wan seems to have been ridin like a rampant rabbit

And he’d get up on a cracked plate

In fairness, Mary Lowry looks a lot like his wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Same. Think people need to learn the difference between circumstantial evidence and no evidence.

Sure it looks suspicious,but it could just as easily have been someone else that dumped the body in the tank.

Folk are concerned that a conviction can follow from such weak evidence.

• Advertisement

Wrong. The search took place more than once.

The only one that took place after Bobby Ryan disappeared was a year and a half after

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/criminal-court/human-body-decomposition-search-carried-out-on-a-computer-seized-in-quirke-house-court-told-1.3833977
    Who hadn’t actually died yet.

The other, the one before his son died, also took place two years before Bobby Ryan died. That alone makes the searches meaningless

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement