Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever think you'll own your own place?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Without supply, house prices will always stay high.

With the massive influx of jobs to Dublin lately and more to come with Brexit, the only solution to Dublin housing is to build up, something the planners are the last to understand it seems.

Not allowing this development seems bizarre in the extreme.

http://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/council-throws-out-ires-reits-170m-plan-for-500-flats-35587511.html

Particularly laughable is this part:
    It added that the planned development would also detract from the visual dominance of the unfinished Sentinel building at the Rockbrook site.

So they didn't want to overshadow a shell of a building? Madness!

The housing crisis is a symptom of disastrous short term planning, an inability to consider high quality high rise but also poor spatial planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

We (myself and the OH) will probably buy a house in the next few years. We'd be on about 80K between us, in our mid-late 20's, and our rent is currently €900 per month between us. We save quite a lot but at the same time we do enjoy ourselves like going on holidays etc.. We live in Cork City where house prices are fairly high, nowhere near Dublin prices though! I'd like to live near enough to the city. He's very fussy about where he'd want to buy a house, which is fair enough I guess. A long commute would be my idea of hell. At the moment my commute is a 10 minute drive..
    Still would be a few years away though. We've no reason to buy a house at the moment. There are only two of us and our rent is relatively cheap.

Most (well, everyone) I know has got some sort of help from their parents to buy their houses. Usually in the form of most of the deposit. Both our parents have no money, so will never happen with us. I do get a bit jealous when friends of mine get handed thousands of euro when they could just save it themselves. Oh well, I'd take it too I guess. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭buddyboy

Im( 35) renting in Dublin, two couples sharing, lease is up in the summer so rather than stay here and pay even more over the odds for this place, we're going to take a hit and move back home with the folks for a year or so and save like rabbits. I'm on decent money on paper, we should be able to save about 2k a month and with saving other equities etc. I bought back with my ex in 2007(just as the last bubble burst!) and still fighting to get out of that mortgage/property so it will be a challenge to get approval. Would like to buy in Dublin or surrounding towns since my career and family are here, but if prices keep going up the way they are there will be nothing to buy. The plan was something for 300k but thats now looking like 350k! Seems like ill have to go back to doing those male stripper nixers at the weekend to raise a bit more cash :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I never bought a house, but was given the family home when I was 20 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

buddyboy wrote: »
    Im( 35) renting in Dublin, two couples sharing, lease is up in the summer so rather than stay here and pay even more over the odds for this place, we're going to take a hit and move back home with the folks for a year or so and save like rabbits. I'm on decent money on paper, we should be able to save about 2k a month and with saving other equities etc. I bought back with my ex in 2007(just as the last bubble burst!) and still fighting to get out of that mortgage/property so it will be a challenge to get approval. Would like to buy in Dublin or surrounding towns since my career and family are here, but if prices keep going up the way they are there will be nothing to buy. The plan was something for 300k but thats now looking like 350k! Seems like ill have to go back to doing those male stripper nixers at the weekend to raise a bit more cash :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44-EhGCZoNM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,853 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

the free-for-all market is done im afraid, and im not sure anybody really knows what to do about it. i feel sorry for those caught in the middle if it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

I was thinking about this more last night, I'm living in Dublin nearly thirteen years now. I've lived in house shares and studio flats for the last ten years, I've never lived in an apartment block. I could live with never owning my own property, provided where I was living had a community atmosphere, I'm not running down people's homes here but I just don't see that around most of the apartment blocks or new estates. I come from rural Ireland and still have an identity that's strongly linked to where I'm from, there are also older urban areas that have a distinct identity and character, even if they are a bit run down.

Politicians and planners are saying that we need to let go of the strong desire in our makeup to own our own home and follow the lead of European countries and make peace with renting for life. What they're not saying is that while in Europe while many people do rent for life, it's a local enterprise with leases often being inter-generational. If I was starting a family I would 100% strive towards owning the home, I would consider it vital in putting down some kind of roots.

There's a huge difference between a community made up of tenants that has a heritage in the area and renting from a vulture fund or absentee landlord. I see place as being crucially linked with identity and psychological health. I think I'd become seriously depressed living ten floors up in an apartment where I have no connection to anybody living around me, other than passing them in the hall on the way to and from work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    the free-for-all market is done im afraid, and im not sure anybody really knows what to do about it. i feel sorry for those caught in the middle if it

You've said this on many threads, but have never given any reasonable alternative or solution. Until there is an alternative the free market will continue indefinitely.

Regarding increase in prices, it's in the best interest for 90% of the population that property prices increase, since its almost eliminated negative equity in many parts of the country and allows people to sell and move.
    hence why it's an unofficial govt policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

eeguy wrote: »
    Regarding increase in prices, it's in the best interest for 90% of the population that property prices increase, since its almost eliminated negative equity in many parts of the country and allows people to sell and move.

And it improves the banks balance sheets.
    And guess who will be trying to sell off their bank stakes soon?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Winterlong wrote: »
    Exactly. Unfortunately it's a case of needs of the many vs needs of the few.

It's better to have 5k homeless than 100k in negative equity. House prices need to increase to incentivise building, which is why nothing has been built in the last 5 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Winterlong wrote: »

The notion of inflating your way out of debt is nothing new and considered fairly standard by economists. Unfortunately it usually inflates some people into difficulty of some kind, as is the way with property.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,853 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

eeguy wrote: »
    You've said this on many threads, but have never given any reasonable alternative or solution. Until there is an alternative the free market will continue indefinitely.

im glad you ve said this, there are actually alternative systems out there, but the free-for-all market is not achieving what we re being lead to believe. we re being lead to beleive that this system increases the possibility of the majority to prosper but the opposite is in fact the truth. true wealth is actually trickling up by the complex systems of this system and the majority are being indebted by trickle down.

the language used by this system is actually orwellian in nature, i.e. it is almost opposite to what it is saying, i.e. theres nothing free about this system particularly for the majority.

an interesting project:

http://thenextsystem.org/

i.e. there are people working on possible alternative systems, and there are some interesting ideas coming from these projects

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Most (well, everyone) I know has got some sort of help from their parents to buy their houses. Usually in the form of most of the deposit. Both our parents have no money, so will never happen with us. I do get a bit jealous when friends of mine get handed thousands of euro when they could just save it themselves. Oh well, I'd take it too I guess.
    Same here. It makes me feel like a bad person to have those jealous twinges. I'm happy for them, but I wish I could get the same help. Anyone I know my age (early 30s) who has bought recently have all either:
    a) moved home for several years to save
    b) had a vacant family home to move into while they save
    c) been given money by their parents
    None of those options apply to me or my wife, nor will they ever apply, so plodding away at paying rent it is.

And honestly, we don't plan on having children so it's not like I want to buy a house to have something to pass on. It's that I know we won't be able to afford to continue renting once we retire, so it's that bit of security I'm after. If renting was done differently here it might help a lot of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Vojera wrote: »
    Same here. It makes me feel like a bad person to have those jealous twinges. I'm happy for them, but I wish I could get the same help. Anyone I know my age (early 30s) who has bought recently have all either:
    a) moved home for several years to save
    b) had a vacant family home to move into while they save
    c) been given money by their parents
    None of those options apply to me or my wife, nor will they ever apply, so plodding away at paying rent it is.

And honestly, we don't plan on having children so it's not like I want to buy a house to have something to pass on. It's that I know we won't be able to afford to continue renting once we retire, so it's that bit of security I'm after. If renting was done differently here it might help a lot of people.

And that is probably the big difference with a lot of people my age (40s). Most of my friends bought a 'starter' property either here or abroad and then after a few years cashed in and bought one of those 400-500k houses during the celtic tiger years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I didn't know about the govt help to buy scheme
    When did that come in

Advertisement