Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein member Attacked

Options
2»

Comments

So let's return to your original attempt at moral equivocation.

Aside from your statement being a sweeping generalisation (there are plenty of Irish Nationalists who are no fans of SF) to what race do 'West Brits' belong?

Much of what is accepted as racism isn't actually based on a strict definition of race.

For example, anti Irish sentiment is often labelled racism, even if you would object and say we are not a race but a people or a nation. If someone portrays the Irish as drunk or stupid, I think it racist, you may disagree. And similarly when someone says that a person is deserving of contempt because they are a "Brit" (which is the root if the slur, the west merely denotes that they are a "Brit" based here) I think it is racist. Again, you may not agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

If someone portrays the Irish as drunk or stupid, I think it racist

I would call that 'xenophobic' officially and 'being a dickhead' in the vernacular.
    And similarly when someone says that a person is deserving of contempt because they are a "Brit"

As above, I would describe that as 'xenophobic' technically or 'being a dickhead' in conversation.
    which is the root if the slur

No it isn't. The primary criteria for being a 'West Brit', which itself is a rather lazy term, would be being Irish.
    the west merely denotes that they are a "Brit" based here

No, it alludes to Irish people that consider Irish culture as inferior to British and would be critical of Irish rebellion against British rule in Ireland (among other factors).
    I think it is racist.

It's demonstrably not racist in any way which returns us to my original point that your attempt at moral equivocation doesn't stand up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

"As usual"? I don't think I have ever made this point before!

Using any people as the basis of an expression of contempt is at least pejorative and may be racist. Similarly many Irish people regard defining stupidity by reference to the Irish (as in "that's so Irish" or "thick Mick") as at least offensive and possibly racist, or not worth defending either way.

Fine Gael are not a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Please let it be Mary Lou! Please let it be Mary Lou! Please let it be Mary Lou! Please let it be Mary Lou! Please let it be Mary Lou! Please let it be Mary Lou! Please let it be Mary Lou! Please let it be Mary Lou! Please let it be Mary Lou! Please let it be Mary Lou! Please let it be Mary Lou! Please let it be Mary Lou! Please let it be Mary Lou! Please let it be Mary Lou! Please let it be Mary Lou! Please let it be Mary Lou! Please let it be Mary Lou! Please let it be Mary Lou! Please let it be Mary Lou! Please let it be Mary Lou! Please let it be Mary Lou! Please let it be Mary Lou! Please let it be Mary Lou! Please let it be Mary Lou! Please let it be Mary Lou! Please let it be Mary Lou!

*reads article*

Fuuuuuuu.....

I would call that 'xenophobic' officially and 'being a dickhead' in the vernacular.

As above, I would describe that as 'xenophobic' technically or 'being a dickhead' in conversation.

No it isn't. The primary criteria for being a 'West Brit', which itself is a rather lazy term, would be being Irish.

Can an a Irish person be xenophobic about Irish people?

One can of course be racist about Irish people.

Either way, I have doubts whether it can be xenophobia, you doubt it is racist, we agree that it is offensive and pejorative, it's hardly a huge difference.

• Advertisement
Advertisement