Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fed up of hearing about Shane Lowry

Options

Comments

Was mad into golf as a teenager but don't follow any sports anymore. Brother over here now showing me a few videos of him and he seems sound. Fair play to him. Massive achievement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Dots1982 wrote: »
    That’s total rubbish. Golf is massive with the richest people across the globe. That’s why the prizes are so generous. It’s the sport of the 1 percenters. It’s got very little entry in poor or emerging economies.

There are 4 majors in Golf, three in the US and one in Britain. Massive across the globe is a huge exaggeration.

I’ve nothing against golf. It’s probably the most difficult sport on earth but just needs to be said.

Ye wha..............Did you read the post i was replying to?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

I agree with OP.

Why is THIS one such a big deal? We've had major winners before.

It's not like Shane Lowry is some nobody golfer, ranked 300 in the world. He was top 30 and won major tournaments before.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I agree with OP.

Why is THIS one such a big deal? We've had major winners before.

It's not like Shane Lowry is some nobody golfer, ranked 300 in the world. He was top 30 and won major tournaments before.

Lowry has won high ranking tournaments in the past but this is his first Major victory. A whole higher level of prestige.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

Lowry has won high ranking tournaments in the past but this is his first Major victory. A whole higher level of prestige.

It shouldn't be treated like he's some plucky underdog though, he's one of the best golfers in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

It shouldn't be treated like he's some plucky underdog though, he's one of the best golfers in the world.

Most Irish people only know that since Sunday night though, hence all the sudden attention.

It does mean more to win a major, no doubt it is a whole other level.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

This time last year Lowry was at a low point in his career and was even considering his future in the sport. The turnaround in his fortunes 12 months on has been remarkable and much of the acclaim he is now getting is due to this. In any case, after the homecoming events this evening, the general media attention will most likely start to slacken off and move on to other matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

They need some auld sh1te to be talking about.

Simple country fella wins some game.

It's like all their birthdays came together, the media I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Effects wrote: »
    If you don't like the coverage then just turn it off.
    He's a nice chap, it's great that he's done well. Get over it.

This was legitimately the TOP news story on the RTÉ app at one stage yesterday:

7-CCF8-D32-6276-4837-88-E4-97-F17-DCE34-E6.jpg

That’s veering into OTT territory right there. I don’t think you’d have to be a begrudger to question that headline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Anyone watching the main news of the day? Lowry first with two reporters!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

R.T.E. are giving it plenty of coverage with two reporters in Clara.
    On a separate note I see Ryan Turbridy visited the kids in the Childrens hospital. Havent those poor kids suffered enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,195 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Anyone watching the main news of the day? Lowry first with two reporters!

Two? You wait for one bus...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

CoBo55 wrote: »
    AHH jaysus lads, it's only been a few hours. If it's still going on next week I'll be back giving out...

They had nearly an hour on the radio yesterday morning!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Ireland always does overkill on personalities when they triumph and when they die. There is invariably saturation coverage, which is lovely in one way but off-putting if you weren’t a follower or fan of whatever they have done. I think on balance it is probably a nice thing about this country that we cherish people and show it, but it can get very tedious to listen to at times. I remember when Big Tom died I had suffered a strangulated hernia and was awaiting emergency surgery hour by hour over 48 hours in hospital. I was in total agony and miserable, and on the telly and radios all around was incessant playing of Gentle Mother, or whatever his song was. Being the soundtrack to my suffering I cannot listen to that or anything about BigTom without being right back in that ward or suffering the postoperative infection afterwards when the poor man was being buried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Its July news is 1/2 hour long- this is gold to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Coverage is continuing on RTE News Now and is a fearful reminder of why I never stop in the midlands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

In other news an Irish athlete won gold in the 100m at the youth Olympics, yet no mention on the news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Coverage is continuing on RTE News Now and is a fearful reminder of why I never stop in the midlands.

It went a bit day of the dead for a while alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

In other news an Irish athlete won gold in the 100m at the youth Olympics, yet no mention on the news.

**** off, i heard this twice yesterday on the news and read it today so **** off

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dionysius2

Ireland always does overkill on personalities when they triumph and when they die. There is invariably saturation coverage, which is lovely in one way but off-putting if you weren’t a follower or fan of whatever they have done. I think on balance it is probably a nice thing about this country that we cherish people and show it, but it can get very tedious to listen to at times. I remember when Big Tom died I had suffered a strangulated hernia and was awaiting emergency surgery hour by hour over 48 hours in hospital. I was in total agony and miserable, and on the telly and radios all around was incessant playing of Gentle Mother, or whatever his song was. Being the soundtrack to my suffering I cannot listen to that or anything about BigTom without being right back in that ward or suffering the postoperative infection afterwards when the poor man was being buried.
    But never forget that the redtop media's biggest paymasters are the masses in the lower socio-economic groups who wallow in utter trivia. Just think too of the constant draw on the rainforest in providing the paper pulp. biggrin.png

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 474 ✭✭Former Observer

Absolutely sick of hearing about this prick now too. Face all over the front pages again today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Absolutely sick of hearing about this prick now too. Face all over the front pages again today.

How is he a prick? Ye prick

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Fish n chips for supper again?

Listening to end of Miriam O'Callaghan. Panel is talking about Tusla authority and the Hide & Seek Creche.
    ....Cue Miriam announces major change of topic..............

..........lo & behold more kind words around Shane Lowry...............

Crunching my gears..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Personally I'm tired of it, but I'm not a golf person and wouldn't know the lad from the man on the moon.

But his win has lifted the country and that's always a good thing, and if he inspires other's to pick up some golf sticks and get off their asses for a bit of exercise well that's brilliant.

But me and golf, I couldn't give a toss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Technique

I was listening to the 6 o'clock news on Newstalk last Monday and thought that the main headline was a bit strange. "Locals in Clara insist that Shane Lowry won't let Open Championship win go to his head."

Because that's the main thing about the whole thing, it's great winning one of the major prizes in golf but don't go around thinking that you are somebody. We like our sportspeople and celebrities to be successful, but not so successful that they become pleased with themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

Given the hours and hours of wasted air time given to natuonal embarressments such as Conor McGregor or that insufferable, boring cow Katie Taylor I cant believe people are taking issue with Shane Lowry. Funnily enough the only people who seem to be annoyed by it are the ones who know absolutely nothing about the sport of Golf and therefore can’t grasp just how significant what he has achieved is.

Lowry won the most famous and arguably the most difficult tournament in the sport of golf. Another reason there has been such a reaction to what he has done is the fact that he is a normal fella. He’s 32, has a young family and has fought back from some personal issues over the last 18 months or so. He’s very relatable for most people across Ireland and he’s a genuinely nice fella. Look how much class and dignity he has and the way he has carried himself over the last few days has been brilliant. Good luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Personally I'm tired of it, but I'm not a golf person and wouldn't know the lad from the man on the moon.

But his win has lifted the country and that's always a good thing, and if he inspires other's to pick up some golf sticks and get off their asses for a bit of exercise well that's brilliant.

But me and golf, I couldn't give a toss.

Tiger would have brought the game from the fat man to the fit man. Same as Ronnie O'Sullivan in the snooker. There is still a few sports where fitness is still lacking mainly golf, cricket and baseball.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Motivator wrote: »
    He’s very relatable for most people across Ireland and he’s a genuinely nice fella. Look how much class and dignity he has and the way he has carried himself over the last few days has been brilliant. Good luck to him.

I could say the same about Katie Taylor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Motivator wrote: »
    Given the hours and hours of wasted air time given to natuonal embarressments such as Conor McGregor or that insufferable, boring cow Katie Taylor I cant believe people are taking issue with Shane Lowry. Funnily enough the only people who seem to be annoyed by it are the ones who know absolutely nothing about the sport of Golf and therefore can’t grasp just how significant what he has achieved is.

Lowry won the most famous and arguably the most difficult tournament in the sport of golf. Another reason there has been such a reaction to what he has done is the fact that he is a normal fella. He’s 32, has a young family and has fought back from some personal issues over the last 18 months or so. He’s very relatable for most people across Ireland and he’s a genuinely nice fella. Look how much class and dignity he has and the way he has carried himself over the last few days has been brilliant. Good luck to him.

How is it the most difficult tournament? The weather?

Advertisement