Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fed up of hearing about Shane Lowry

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Clarke, McIlroy, McDowell.

Golf in Ireland, like rugby, is for 32 counties.

Fred Daly also.

It'll bring in massive money in sponsorship, which is why they are making kissy faces about giving us the honour of them representing us. They should be told Thanks, but no thanks.

The fact that they are now both major champions is what is already or will bring in the lucrative sponsorship/endorsement deals, nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not they represent Ireland in the Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,568 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Even before his Open won, him and McIlroy were making kissy faces about representing us. He should be told he had his chance, and refused it.

He represented Ireland at the last 3 Golf World Cups (2013, 2016, 2018).

He decided that while the risk was low, it was still a risk he wasn't prepared to take.

The Olympics isn't all that lucrative for golfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

OP doesn't want to hear about Shane Lowry
    OP starts a thread in AH about Shane Lowry
    Turns into another golf thread about Shane Lowry

dLfPsSw.png

Fred Daly also.

He's not counted in the 5 though but I'm assuming that they're talking about the modern era.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

He decided that while the risk was low, it was still a risk he wasn't prepared to take.

It’s totally his right to play in the tournaments he wants to.

It’s my right to make judgements on the individual based on those choices he makes.

I don’t cheer against Lowry. I just don’t cheer for him.

It’s the gob****es who hold him up as the epitome of irishness when he skipped the chance to represent Ireland in the planet’s biggest sporting event that annoy me more. The types that are all over social media saying he’s a great lad that don’t even have a deep enough sports knowledge to know he cried off the olympics.

The bandwagoners.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭bobbyss

He's not counted in the 5 though but I'm assuming that they're talking about the modern era.

It's fantastic to have another Irish winner. Shane really deserves it. I hope he does well out of it. Go Shane!!

What period would you call the modern era though? Post WW2 seems very far away I have to say. The television age is probably more appropriate but when is even that? The media went wild over Lee Trevino and his on course chatting. But that too seems far away.

Dots1982 wrote: »

It’s my right to make judgements on the individual based on those choices he makes.

Of course.

There are always bandwagoners. They will never be less annoying.

I disagree that it somehow means he's less Irish for not playing in Rio given the hulabaloo about Zika and the potential risk. I don't think it makes him less of a person for not taking a personal risk because Ireland.

But we can agree to disagree.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

I think why he seems so popular a winner is the other 3 lads from up there seem to divide opinion, whereas Shane seems like one of the lads, relatable is how i'd put it.

I look at him in the promotional videos he does for PP, and just seems a normal bloke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

I don’t cheer against Lowry. I just don’t cheer for him.

It’s the gob****es who hold him up as the epitome of irishness when he skipped the chance to represent Ireland in the planet’s biggest sporting event that annoy me more. The types that are all over social media saying he’s a great lad that don’t even have a deep enough sports knowledge to know he cried off the olympics.

The bandwagoners.

yawn

• Advertisement

bobbyss wrote: »
    What period would you call the modern era though? Post WW2 seems very far away I have to say. The television age is probably more appropriate but when is even that? The media went wild over Lee Trevino and his on course chatting. But that too seems far away.

Not sure what the definition would be. Probably a couple of definitions, based on time, equipment, majors, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

But golf in the Olympics is a recent concept. Anyone starting out would have set goals: win one of the four majors, top the money list, become world number one (not as prestigious as it once was) and compete in the Ryder Cup where applicable.

So you can see how a fella might skip the Olympics if it impedes his chances in any of the other fields. Besides, it gives one of the lesser lights a chance to represent his country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The fact that they are now both major champions is what is already or will bring in the lucrative sponsorship/endorsement deals, nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not they represent Ireland in the Olympics.

So why was Rory British for Rio and Shane pulled out? But even before this weekend, where Shane won, they were both making noises about competing for Ireland in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

murpho999 wrote: »
    It is begrudgery.

Winning The British Open is a huge achievement and an Irishman (from Republic of Ireland, so no confusion about British/Irish) winning it is going to get a lot of media attention. Especially in the first 24 hours.

So I don't see how it's OTT or patronising (Do you actually understand that word?). The coverage I have seen has been sharing in his delight with the win and it's great to have good news on the news and radio rather than the drudgery of economy, HSE screw ups, Brexit, economy, gangland shootings, road deaths etc.

Yes ok it’s begrudgery then because you say so.

Yet he competed in one of the southern states on a tour event, where the Zika risk was the same level as Rio. :rolleyes:

But golf in the Olympics is a recent concept. Anyone starting out would have set goals: win one of the four majors, top the money list, become world number one (not as prestigious as it once was) and compete in the Ryder Cup where applicable.

So you can see how a fella might skip the Olympics if it impedes his chances in any of the other fields. Besides, it gives one of the lesser lights a chance to represent his country.

The majors were all completed by the time the Olympics came round I’m pretty sure.

Top of the money list though. Now you’re speaking the pro golfer’s language.

The Olympics is the olympics. Despite the doping and the dodgy judging and the money grabbing IOC its still special.

The chance to call yourself an Olympian. The chance to win a gold medal and follow in the footsteps of Jesse Owen, Michael Phelps, Bolt.

To pass up that chance is something I can’t respect.

I think Lowry bought the stories about Zika but also there was no big money offered for winning. If there was I’d say he would have travelled.

I think only one female golfer turned down a place at the Olympics despite Zika being a threat to safe pregnancies.

Yet he competed in one of the southern states on a tour event, where the Zika risk was the same level as Rio. :rolleyes:

How much publicity and knowledge about the risk was available at the time?

It's alright for you to point the finger but you haven't been put in that position so you don't know what you'd have done in his shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

The majors were all completed by the time the Olympics came round I’m pretty sure.

Top of the money list though. Now you’re speaking the pro golfer’s language.

The Olympics is the olympics. Despite the doping and the dodgy judging and the money grabbing IOC its still special.

The chance to call yourself an Olympian. The chance to win a gold medal and follow in the footsteps of Jesse Owen, Michael Phelps, Bolt.

To pass up that chance is something I can’t respect.

I think Lowry bought the stories about Zika but also there was no big money offered for winning. If there was I’d say he would have travelled.

I think only one female golfer turned down a place at the Olympics despite Zika being a threat to safe pregnancies.

Hitting a ball around the place while wearing a pink jumper and a polka dot trousers. That really is the equal of Jesse Owens achievements

It's alright for you to point the finger but you haven't been put in that position so you don't know what you'd have done in his shoes.

Want a hand with those goalposts?? :rolleyes:

100% Shane knows he’s Irish. He’s just picky about when he wants to represent Ireland. It’ll probably $uit him to represent us in Japan. Big endorsement deals to be done there compared to Rio.
    It'll bring in massive money in sponsorship, which is why they are making kissy faces about giving us the honour of them representing us. They should be told Thanks, but no thanks.

So you are suggesting that, purely based on Olympic participation alone and ignoring all other factors , that taking part in Tokyo 2020 will be far more lucrative for Lowry than Rio 2016 would have been. Why do you come to that conclusion?

• Advertisement

So you are suggesting that, purely based on Olympic participation alone and ignoring all other factors , that taking pat in Tokyo 2020 will be far more lucrative for Lowry than Rio 2016 would have been. Why do you come to that conclusion?

Tokyo will attract a huge amount of sponsorship. Golf is not a big thing in Brazil or South America. In Asia it is huge. All golfers will get a lot more in sponsorship compared to Brazil.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Isn't zika relatively benign for men? I thought the only real risk was to pregnant women.

Surely the real reason that most pro golfers cried off was that there is no prize money for the Olympics and the event was in the middle of the tour iirc. Zika was a convenient fig leaf to hide behind to shield their reputation with fans.

The reason the pros are giving a second look to Olympic golf now is that they see that the tournament was a success and that the sponsorship/brand building opportunities offered by playing for your countryare unrivaled. Golf is a game for individuals and it's hard to build a fan base around an individual but Olympics are about nations and gives a golfer the ability to use a nations brand and identity to build their own brand.

Isn't zika relatively benign for men? I thought the only real risk was to pregnant women.

Risk to male fertility. Also, Zika has been found in sperm 7 months after infection so poses a risk to infecting the woman who may become pregnant with Zika infested jizz.
    Surely the real reason that most pro golfers cried off was that there is no prize money for the Olympics and the event was in the middle of the tour iirc. Zika was a convenient fig leaf to hide behind to shield their reputation with fans.

It might be the real reason for some. Others just don't value the Olympics because it's not something they have trained four years for. And maybe either/both come into consideration if you think there is a risk and have consulted on the risk and decide it's not worth taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

THE CLARA JUG!

Risk to male fertility. Also, Zika has been found in sperm 7 months after infection so poses a risk to infecting the woman who may become pregnant with Zika infested jizz.

It might be the real reason for some. Others just don't value the Olympics because it's not something they have trained four years for. And maybe either/both come into consideration if you think there is a risk and have consulted on the risk and decide it's not worth taking.
    I wouldn't have been as cynical about it if the players pulled themselves from the tournaments in other areas where there was a zika caution. Zika went as far north as the great lakes in 2016.

So maybe for some zika was a genuine concern, but I think for most of the professionals that made themselves unavailable it was money, time, interest, and sponsorship conflict that meant they didn't want to represent their country.

I was delighted to see Harrington and Power get a run out in the Irish jersey though, they both seemed to enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Huge achievement and a lovely fella let him have his moment.

He's an underdog story we can all appreciate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

The reason the pros are giving a second look to Olympic golf now is that they see that the tournament was a success and that the sponsorship/brand building opportunities offered by playing for your countryare unrivaled.

If that is the case why are there so many Olympic athletes and I include medalists in that, who haven't got two pennies to rub together? Why do so many amateur boxers switch to the pro game to make a few quid for themselves?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Berserker wrote: »
    If that is the case why are there so many Olympic athletes and I include medalists in that, who haven't got two pennies to rub together? Why do so many amateur boxers switch to the pro game to make a few quid for themselves?

Apples and Oranges there buddy

Golf is mahoosive across the globe.

Boxing is more niche with regards support globally and massive corps

Apples and Oranges there buddy

Golf is mahoosive across the globe.

Boxing is more niche with regards support globally and massive corps

That’s total rubbish. Golf is massive with the richest people across the globe. That’s why the prizes are so generous. It’s the sport of the 1 percenters. It’s got very little entry in poor or emerging economies.

There are 4 majors in Golf, three in the US and one in Britain. Massive across the globe is a huge exaggeration.

I’ve nothing against golf. It’s probably the most difficult sport on earth but just needs to be said.

• Advertisement

Berserker wrote: »

Because there's very little money in the vast majority of Olympic sports, and the sports that do have money it is concentrated in the hands of a few. Great exposure but playing a minority sport is not going to do much for you. You'll be doing much better than if you got no exposure though.

Golf is a relatively popular game and those that follow it tend to be wealthy so has a big appeal to sponsors. Being able to put the green Jersey on so that people can say that they are supporting "our lads" rather than an individual is massive in helping to broaden it's appeal. That in turn helps build a brand and broadens that individuals appeal to sponsors.

How many people would watch a team consisting of the players Irish first soccer team if it wasn't the Irish jersey they were wearing?

Advertisement