Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Extinction Rebellion Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Just in case anyone is wondering i didn’t go to the camp this morn. For 3 reasons

Kids were not overly interested
    Rugby match is on
    I was told by my buddy at the camp they were in clean up and take down mode and not much to be gained by dropping in this morning when they’d be busy

More interested in this extensive research you carried out that suggests reintroducing Wolves to the Irish countryside is viable. Care to share that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

cnocbui wrote: »
    In that case, the government should just take everyone's money from them and buy the things they think people should have. People are innately irresponsible and selfish and shouldn't be allowed to act with free will.

Bit extreme.
    We regulate the treatment of animals and won't allow meat produced in certain ways be sold. Why not do similar with other products made by humans. Hardly radical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

More interested in this extensive research you carried out that suggests reintroducing Wolves to the Irish countryside is viable. Care to share that ?

The main threat from wolves would be livestock like sheep and lambs. But i’m guessing he thinks it’s not a bad idea because in his own little imaginary world thinks that meat will be banned because of climate change in the near future so it won’t be a problem having wolves running around the place, just a guess mind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Just in case anyone is wondering i didn’t go to the camp this morn. For 3 reasons

Kids were not overly interested
    Rugby match is on
    I was told by my buddy at the camp they were in clean up and take down mode and not much to be gained by dropping in this morning when they’d be busy

Strange that they’re still advertising things for all day today and tomorrow. You’re a proven spoofer at this stage.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    The main threat from wolves would be livestock like sheep and lambs. But i’m guessing he thinks it’s not a bad idea because in his own little imaginary world thinks that meat will be banned because of climate change in the near future so it won’t be a problem having wolves running around the place, just a guess mind you.

Sadly we won't know if you are correct or not as Beech keeps dodging the question I asked of him. As I said I believe he is just a clueless wind up merchant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Strange that they’re still advertising things for all day today and tomorrow. You’re a proven spoofer at this stage.

Might head in later or else tomorr if that’s the case.

I have done loads of personal research. My thoughts/plan is a network of connected national parks stretching from just south of dublin in a vague semi circle all to way to Kerry. Connection “corridors” linking them. That would be easily enough space and room to roam for a pack of say 10 wolves.

We need secure fencing to mark the boundaries of the park. This would include concrete below the fence line to stop wolves digging out from below. And of course some sort of nets to stop ppl throwing in food trying to attract the wolves. That wouldn’t end well

How to “gain territory”- compulsory purchase orders. Ppl can live in the park once they have adequate fencing and roads in and out. I personally would love to live in it. Populate with native flora and fauna. Once it has good WiFi comms I could work from home in the middle of tranquil idyllic wilderness.

I have done loads of personal research. My thoughts/plan is a network of connected national parks stretching from just south of dublin in a vague semi circle all to way to Kerry. Connection “corridors” linking them. That would be easily enough space and room to roam for a pack of say 10 wolves.

Now. We need secure fencing to mark the boundaries of the park. This would include concrete below the fence line to stop wolves digging out from below. And of course some sort of nets to stop ppl throwing in food trying to attract the wolves. That wouldn’t end well

How to “gain territory”- compulsory purchase orders. Ppl can live in the park once they have adequate fencing and roads in and out.

Don’t get me wrong Wolves are a fine fine animal. I have been up close and personal to a tame one that liked to be petted like a normal dog, but what about the threat to livestock, farmers living?

Don’t get me wrong Wolves are a fine fine animal. I have been up close and personal to a tame one that liked to be petted like a normal dog, but what about the threat to livestock, farmers living?

No livestock in the park obviously. Compulsory purchase orders to take over the small amount of farms required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭uchimata83

What about the environmental impact of fabricating the fence and digging up that earth and pouring the concrete?

Was going to go along today but someone took the village car to the pub and left it there overnight.

• Advertisement

We need secure fencing to mark the boundaries of the park. This would include concrete below the fence line to stop wolves digging out from below. And of course some sort of nets to stop ppl throwing in food trying to attract the wolves. That wouldn’t end well

How to “gain territory”- compulsory purchase orders. Ppl can live in the park once they have adequate fencing and roads in and out. I personally would love to live in it. Populate with native flora and fauna. Once it has good WiFi comms I could work from home in the middle of tranquil idyllic wilderness.

Thanks for confirming you're an absolute spoofer. Hilarious that your 'research' would come at an enormous financial and environmental cost.
    Your employer is blessed to have such an intelligent individual on their payroll. ;-)

UPDATE - whatsapped my friend - he meant he personally was leaving the camp this morn.

As other posters have alerted - there is a programme of activities for the full wkend so I might mosey down tomorro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭uchimata83

Thanks for confirming you're an absolute spoofer. Hilarious that your 'research' would come at an enormous financial and environmental cost.
    Your employer is blessed to have such an intelligent individual on their payroll. ;-)

Employer - good one

uchimata83 wrote: »
    What about the environmental impact of fabricating the fence and digging up that earth and pouring the concrete?

Was going to go along today but someone took the village car to the pub and left it there overnight.

Eco fencing is available.

For anyone not with the programme. Eamon Ryan the leader of the greens wants wolves in Ireland. I happen to want it too. It’s a legitimate policy option.

No livestock in the park obviously. Compulsory purchase orders to take over the small amount of farms required.

I remember some years ago in the buy and sell magazine i used to see Wolf cubs for sale, there’s probably a small tame population of them in this country somewhere.

For anyone not with the programme. Eamon Ryan the leader of the greens wants wolves in Ireland. I happen to want it too. It’s a legitimate policy option.

I hope Eammon doubles down and repeats that madness in the middle of an election campaign, people need to be reminded what kind of idiots populate the Green party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

We will never have wolves here but George Monbiot did a great Ted Talk on the reintroduction of wolves to Yellowstone park and the positive impact they had on the ecosystem ultimately causing rivers to bend. Ireland has been sterilised a long time by farming and human habitat now so there's no point even thinking about it. We cant even build a bus lane ffs never mind CPOing farmers land.

I hope Eammon doubles down and repeats that madness in the middle of an election campaign, people need to be reminded what kind of idiots populate the Green party.

Lol i think he got a backlash over that and has geen apologising since lmao

I love the “when i’m in charge “ bit lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Glad to see you approve of one-off rural housing and spending money on rural infrastructure, like fiber-to-the-home. Too many urban environmentalists are anti.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Ryan has always being a fool, but since this so called green wave he really shows how big a clueless idiot he really is .The man has no clue along with a few more posters on this thread what happens outside Dublin, living in their own little fantasy world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

But it's a massive red herring in the context of the Extinction Rebellion and is being used by Climate Change deniers to drag this thread off topic.

Listening to the radio a few moments ago. The newscaster made reference to a comment by Eammon Ryan during the week . This guy is clueless.Ryan suggested a village with 300 people should ideally share 30 cars between. Idiotic suggestions like this is more reason to keep this clown away from a position of power and influence.

Listening to the radio a few moments ago. The newscaster made reference to a comment by Eammon Ryan during the week . This guy is clueless.Ryan suggested a village with 300 people should ideally share 30 cars between. Idiotic suggestions like this is more reason to keep this clown away from a position of power and influence.

... and when he got the huge backlash he pretended to be sorry and apologised lol

Del.Monte wrote: »
    But it's a massive red herring in the context of the Extinction Rebellion and is being used by Climate Change deniers to drag this thread off topic.

Who is going off topic? To be honest the thread should be locked because it’s just going around in circles.

The bottom line is, the hypocritical ER won’t get anywhere and planes, trains and automobiles will be around for longtime into the future so they need to get used to it.

• Advertisement

Could someone post up a link or something to where ER want to ban planes, trains etc or is it just being made up?

20Cent wrote: »
    Could someone post up a link or something to where ER want to ban planes, trains etc or is it just being made up?

Oh come of it that’s their main objective. Someone already posted that they want it done by 2025 planes grounded, idiots.

Oh come of it that’s their main objective. Someone already posted that they want it done by 2025 planes grounded, idiots.

So no then.
    There is enough to be outraged about without making stuff up surely.

So no then.
    There is enough to be outraged about without making stuff up surely.

Did you not see the moron that delayed a flight?

So what exactly do you think they want?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinction_Rebellion

Check out number 2 on their manifesto list.

• Advertisement

Maybe to keep the aviation industry in check and for it not to keep growing exponentially? Anyone with 2 brain cells knows flying isn't going anywhere.

Maybe to keep the aviation industry in check and for it not to keep growing exponentially? Anyone with 2 brain cells knows flying isn't going anywhere.

Well it’s obvious ER members only have 1 cell with their zero carbon by 2025 lol

Aviation is big business so there will be no “ keep in check” lol

Well it’s obvious ER members only have 1 cell with their zero carbon by 2025 lol

Yes so there's no point in taking their stupid manifesto seriously.

Anyone with 2 brain cells knows flying isn't going anywhere.

What???

Yes so there's no point in taking their stupid manifesto seriously.

I was aiming at the person who claimed i was making it up what they wanted lol

What???

Just the one brain cell then?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinction_Rebellion

Check out number 2 on their manifesto list.

No mention of banning transport.
    Made up.

Made up.

Lol, so what does zero carbon mean by 2025?

Just the one brain cell then?
    Yeah between them all lol

• Advertisement

Lol, so what does zero carbon mean by 2025?

Use sustainable clean energy sources and offset omissions planting trees and other environmental investments.

Made up.

So how will transportation meet Zero carbon in 6 years. Do you think the founders of ER are playing with a full deck?

Use sustainable clean energy sources and offset omissions planting trees and other environmental investments.

That’s reducing emissions, they want zero by 2025. The only way to achieve that is ground all planes and stop using ice cars. They are deluded.

That’s reducing emissions, they want zero by 2025. The only way to achieve that is ground all planes and stop using ice cars. They are deluded.

What's an ice car?

Being ambitious is a good thing. European governments have pledged to do it by 2050.

What's an ice car?

Being ambitious is a good thing. European governments have pledged to do it by 2050.

Internal combustion engine , we all know about government pledges and promises.

History is full of examples where the human spirit ingenuity, hard work and intellectual powers achieved things thought impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

What's an ice car?

A cool car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

History is full of examples where the human spirit ingenuity, hard work and intellectual powers achieved things thought impossible.

There are also examples where the seemingly 'inevitable' turned out to be impossible, impractical or implausible e.g flying cars, supersonic travel for the masses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,903 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

pburns wrote:
    There are also examples where the seemingly 'inevitable' turned out to be impossible, impractical or implausible e.g flying cars, supersonic travel for the masses.

But at least we tried, and made some discoveries along the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I'm nominating you to head the next crack at commercial hydrogen fusion power generation.

Advertisement