Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New RTE Player

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭SteM

Is it working for anybody on an android box ?

Yes, it is on mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

SteM wrote:
    Yes, it is on mine.

Which box and which version of Android please.

Which box and which version of Android please.

It's a jide remix on android 5.1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I could never get the old RTE Player working on my Windows PC which I have connected to my TV. It would always say disable my ad-blocker but I had no ad-blocker. It's finally working now.

SteM wrote:
    It's a jide remix on android 5.1

Thanks. Don't know why it won't work for me on android 6.0 so. I thought it was because the version is too old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Rte player is still crap for live feeds.
    I switched from the tv to another room and watched on the phone and Pat Shortt's stint just stops playing after a certain stage.

They just can't seem to deliver stuff.

Mr.S wrote:
    Side-loading the Android APK is much better.

From where ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Rte player is still crap for live feeds.
    I switched from the tv to another room and watched on the phone and Pat Shortt's stint just stops playing after a certain stage.

They just can't seem to deliver stuff.

If history is anything to go by there will be crashes during GAA matches and the toy show etc, when there's a bit of demand on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭AllForIt

AllForIt wrote:
    From here for example

Thanks I'll try that when I get my hands on the telly

• Advertisement

AllForIt wrote:
    From here for example

That's the old version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

Is there a chance there will be a native version released for the Nvidia Shield?

That's the old version

Just install rte player on an android phone, install an apk extractor on the phone, extract the apk, copy it across to the android tv on a USB key and sideload it there.

Edit, I've just done this on a Sony android tv and the app works but cannot be navigated properly with the Sony TV remote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

SteM wrote: »
    Just install rte player on an android phone, install an apk extractor on the phone, extract the apk, copy it across to the android tv on a USB key and sideload it there.

Edit, I've just done this on a Sony android tv and the app works but cannot be navigated properly with the Sony TV remote.

Did the same on my Firestick but navigation is a disaster so much so it's basically unworkable

SteM wrote:

Thanks I'll give that a go

SteM wrote:

Might be ok on android box with a mouse

SteM wrote:

That didn't work either still the same problem plays the first ten seconds or so of the video over and over.
    Plays the advertisements perfectly though.
    Must be my box, maybe the fact it's rooted, don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

campo wrote: »
    Did the same on my Firestick but navigation is a disaster so much so it's basically unworkable

If you install moose toggle on fire TV you can navigate reasonably OK. Not as good as a native app, but manageable.
    Get it here... https://troypoint.com/install-mouse-toggle-fire-tv/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭DopeTech

App is out now for android TV and it's not terrible. Looks like they were going for the Netflix UI but bargain basement version. Things work but it's a bit clunky. Still better than nothing I guess.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

Is Virgin Media available in HD on the new player or Saorview Connect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

Anyone here with a Nvidia Shield able to get past the log in page on the Android TV app?

When you first start the app, it'll ask for you to either log in using some code, or you can skip that part but no matter what I press I can't get past that screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Is Virgin Media available in HD on the new player or Saorview Connect?

Virgin Media channels are not on the RTÉ Player. I haven't heard of them being on Saorview Connect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

RHJ wrote: »
    Anyone here with a Nvidia Shield able to get past the log in page on the Android TV app?

When you first start the app, it'll ask for you to either log in using some code, or you can skip that part but no matter what I press I can't get past that screen.

Yep, I had no problem logging in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Casted from it Friday.

Box set, started S1 E1
    Ads blocked by hosts file on device successfully. That was cool.
    Every time an episode ended that was it, not continuation in the series.
    In the meantime as CC had been playing the app had slept and lost its position, start from scratch looking for the series again each episode. Annoying.

Overall it wasnt nearly as terrible as you'd expect from RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Keyzer wrote: »
    Working great for me on android. Watching an aul bit of nidgey last night for the craic.

In retrospect, its actually crap.

Live TV quality is awful and keeps hanging every couple of mins.

Also, tried to watch the liverpool vs napoli match last week and kept getting kicked and moved to RTE1 after two mins.

More cack from RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,410 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Watched Election 18 over the weekend on android player. Worked fine, quality of stream was great (but not live, so to be expected). 2 issues afected me though:
    1) The stream locked up and froze, I had to restart again, and had to watch the 1:30 ads twice (once for the start, and again because I manually spun forward to where I was).
    2) There is no easy way to skip forward or back a small amount. I'm so used to having the ability to skip forward/back 10/30 seconds, you'd miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Seapoint

Once again, I'm so happy that I went for the Nvidia Shield Android TV and not some crappy Android box. The quality and functionality of the native Android TV app is 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Seapoint

Why don't you install it from the Google Play store on the Sony Android TV ?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Downloaded the Android TV version onto my Nvidia Shield today and watched an episode of Nidge & the gang.

No live TV options but worked flawlessly otherwise. Surprised given the experience reported by others. Picture quality was fine,. No freezing or buffering, so far it's working well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

https://beta.rte.ie/player/series/mr.-mercedes/SI0000002368?epguid=AQ000260991

Apparently I am unable to use it at all ....... having sat through the inevitable adverts I get a black screen with this
    Security Error Close
    This protected content cannot be played on the current system.

So I click the 'Close' in the heading and get a screen with a huge 'Play' arrow icon, which I click.

Then get the adverts again ........ and back to the same Security Error screen! :(

It appears the problem might be browser related ..... it worked in Chrome!
    So why did it tell me it was a system error if the fault was the browser?

• Advertisement

Seapoint wrote: »
    Why don't you install it from the Google Play store on the Sony Android TV ?

I have but i posted what you quoted before it was available on the android tv play store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭vidapura

Whats this about logging in?

I tried this pile of sh*te on my android phone.. (J5) .. doesn't work ...
    Saw no log in screen..

Just allows me to select a show and then.. shows interminable ads before resolving to a black blank screen...

At least the old one allowed me to view SOMETHING....

vidapura wrote:
    I tried this pile of sh*te on my android phone.. (J5) .. doesn't work ... Saw no log in screen..

It's works on my J5. But no matter what I try I can't get it to work on my android box. The old one crap as it was worked on the box.

The RTÈ player has updated on my LG smart tv today!

Mr.S wrote: »
    The official Android TV App doesn't have a live TV function. (Why this is, is beyond me, apart from that the ATV app is pretty good.)

Where as if you side-load the mobile Android version to your TV, you can play live-tv.

The LG smart tv app is the same, no live feeds.
    Saying that the live feeds on the android player are unusable, stopping and even when you exit and go back in it plays at the same spot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭QuadaLumpins

Downloaded the Android TV version onto my Nvidia Shield today and watched an episode of Nidge & the gang.

No live TV options but worked flawlessly otherwise. Surprised given the experience reported by others. Picture quality was fine,. No freezing or buffering, so far it's working well.

Is it simple enough to download and install on the shield?

Is the app in the shield AppStore or does it have to be sideloaded?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭littlecopilot

Is it simple enough to download and install on the shield?

Is the app in the shield AppStore or does it have to be sideloaded?

It's in the appstore

• Registered Users Posts: 33 JMcGee

Has anyone managed to get Airplay to work? i.e. iOS device to Apple TV. My Apple TV screen dims like 3 pulses as if it's trying to establish a connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

JMcGee wrote: »
    Has anyone managed to get Airplay to work? i.e. iOS device to Apple TV. My Apple TV screen dims like 3 pulses as if it's trying to establish a connection.

Nope, still not working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Mine is working perfectly when streamed from my phone but when i try to watch through the app on an LG smart TV it says stream cannot be played on everything I try to play.

Some of tg4's content is also on the player.
    I watched Daire Ó Cinnéide's documentary on the GAA in the US last night (on LG smart tv). I think there are a few episodes. I just watched the first. Interesting enough going between New York, Boston and Chicago and the various clubs.

Is there the ability to start watching where you left off? I am signed in but couldn't see 'watched' content after going back in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

zorro2566 wrote: »

Still available ? I loaded the app the other night and worked fine. This morning it launches but just shows the home screen splash and doesn’t load. In frustration I deleted the app and when I went to reload it’s not available on the LG Content store :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Egg Sandwich

Good morning one and all I'm a boards newbie but trust good ole RTE to be the ones to make me join up.This new player is a total disaster. Stop start stop start. I notice its a beta type delivery isn't this usually crap? The live option is freezing then playing for 20 seconds then freezing again. And no its not my internet connection because my virginmedia player is cinema quality so that rules that out.RTEs old player was just slightly inferior to virgins but this new ones designed to make us freeloaders drive over the edge. No doubt they'll announce a "premium" option down the road for ONLY 9.99 a month. Tubs and the lads and lassies will soon want a pay increase after their terribly hard times during the recession when they had to endure no double digit pay rise for their great talents. Anyway I digress. I tried to watch an episode of LOVE/HATE and instead was treated to a merry go round of 5 doses of ads before I gave up. Keep payin the licence fee lads,I'd love a job in RTE even sweepin the floors would do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Funny you have all of these problems. I'm using Chromecast with the RTE Player while visiting home for Christmas and had only one freezing issue so far. It's been pretty solid.

Still available ? I loaded the app the other night and worked fine. This morning it launches but just shows the home screen splash and doesn’t load. In frustration I deleted the app and when I went to reload it’s not available on the LG Content store :mad:

I have the same issue with it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭reni10

I have but i posted what you quoted before it was available on the android tv play store.

Can someone extract the Android TV version of the Rte player so we can try it on a FireTV?

I have sideloaded the normal play store version but you cannot control it with the fire remote so want to see if the Android TV version enables proper remote control?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,510 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

zorro2566 wrote: »

I updated it recently, but then it went...just by coincidence there was a piece on The Journal about it the other day. Today it's back and I've updated again, but it's back the old version, logo, layout and all. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Sounds like there was an issue with the new version on LG devices and it was removed then rolled back.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

I contacted RTÉ digital team via contact on the player re the issue with LG smart TV. They confirmed the player is back on LG but omitted to state it was the older version ����. Query returned asking when the new version will be available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

I updated it recently, but then it went...just by coincidence there was a piece on The Journal about it the other day. Today it's back and I've updated again, but it's back the old version, logo, layout and all. :confused:

Same here with lg tv. Had it on lg uk for services area, switched it back to Ireland to update the player, then back to UK again. Worked fine for a couple of days, then I got an update notification for it. Nothing new, just rolled it back to the previous version. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

Is the player working? Stopping for no reason particularly after ads. On laptop. Tried Edge, Chrome, Firefox. Same problem on all 3.

• Advertisement
Advertisement