Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Offcuts - the general chat thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Its a fine chair croppy, did you tally how long it took you?

I've not been playing in my shop for a while now,I'm about to strip it all out and start afresh with a better layout to work with. My main problem is where to put it all while I re-design!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Thanks aerosol! ;) I didnt count the hours I'm afraid, but I'd imagine if I were to add it all up, about 5-6 days.

Sure isnt there plenty of space in the kitchen, bedroom etc to keep the stuff, what'd be the problem?! :p

Oh, cheers ttm for that link and diagram to the sawdust burner, looks interesting! I wonder could you adopt your average stove to do the same job? hmmm. The problem that I find is that I can only really burn well he stove is in full throttle, and even then I can only put on small amounts as it acts like sand, and nearly smothers the fire.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

ttm wrote: »
    I can't see anything wrong with that. So add Red for a pine plank that comes from a tree with red bark and yellow to reddish late wood and you have Red Deal for Scotts Pine then White deal for the Whiter wood of the Christmas Tree naturally follows.

What about a Balk, a Flitch or a Quaterling and I can't agree with the links definition of Scantlings, I've always taken Scantlings to be various sizes, sort of mixed sizes if you see what I mean but not Balks, Fitches or Quarterlings ;)

btw another good link and some good ones to follow up in the Navigation panel. Anyone thought that we could have a pinned resources thread with links like this copied to?
    From George Ellis, Modern Practical Joinery - 1902;
    A Balk is the log squared by axe or saw.
    A Plank in hardwood is any cut stuff upwards of 9 in. wide and 1 3/4 in. thick; in softwood upwards of 10 in. wide and 2 in. thick.
    A Deal is over 2 1/4 in. thick and less than 10 in wide.
    A Flitch is half a balk cut in two lengthways.
    A Quarterling is 3 by 3 in. to 4 1/2 by 4in
    Scantlings - miscellaneous cut stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

slowburner wrote: »
    From George Ellis, Modern Practical Joinery - 1902;
    A Balk is the log squared by axe or saw.
    A Plank in hardwood is any cut stuff upwards of 9 in. wide and 1 3/4 in. thick; in softwood upwards of 10 in. wide and 2 in. thick.
    A Deal is over 2 1/4 in. thick and less than 10 in wide.
    A Flitch is half a balk cut in two lengthways.
    A Quarterling is 3 by 3 in. to 4 1/2 by 4in
    Scantlings - miscellaneous cut stuff

Then just to confuse matters I'd also say that you could ask "what are the scantlings of the scantlings" as scantlings can also mean dimensions, but I think that would only be in a boat building sence where they definitly also use(d) the word scantlings to mean miscellaneous cut stuff. For example you would batten down the hatches with scantlings as the dimensions wouldn't really matter, but that raises the old carpenter, cabinet maker boat builder joke (which I might have mentioned before).....

Whats the differnce between a carpenter a cabinet maker and a boat builder?

A carpenter works to the nearest eigth of an inch. A cabinet maker works to the nearest sixteenth of an inch and a boat builder works to the nearest boat :P

Any of you guys on Facebook? If so have a peep at the below link and become a fan!! :D

Its a page dedicated to the ol' woodwork, so it'll be updated fairly often.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Carlow/Peter-Heary-Woodcraft/188150137625?ref=mf

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Any of you guys on Facebook? If so have a peep at the below link and become a fan!! :D

Its a page dedicated to the ol' woodwork, so it'll be updated fairly often.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Carlow/Peter-Heary-Woodcraft/188150137625?ref=mf

Thanks!

Repent now, or you many never get out in the workshop again.........

either that or move the computer out there :P

ttm wrote: »
    Repent now, or you many never get out in the workshop again.........

either that or move the computer out there :P

I think the latter option is the best! :p I was thinking of setting up an area or desk (sealed and dust free) to keep an old lappy in, may get a wireless card for it. Be handy though to have a computer up there, save me running back down to the house everytime I wanted to look up a particular size of something, or draw some inspiration from some sites! :p

Heres a cupla pictures of some presents that I made for the family this year. I'll get up individual images of the items as soon as I get some image resizing/editing software back on the lappy, just after installing Windows 7! :rolleyes:

pressies1.jpg

pressies2.jpg

I knew I kept all those offcuts for a reason!! :p All in all, all recipients were very happy, worst thing about it though is that they'll be expecting hand made gifts every year now!! May start them earlier though as I was still working on them on Christmas eve!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ennisa

croppy was looking at a you tube video of the snow in 82 and saw that you were the first to post a comment on it 3 years ago :)

http://www.youtube.com/comment_servlet?all_comments&v=Afss7QL4wAc&fromurl=/watch%3Fv%3DAfss7QL4wAc

Lovely xmas presents by the way!

Happy Christmas to you all, and a to all a prosperous new year.

ennisa wrote: »
    croppy was looking at a you tube video of the snow in 82 and saw that you were the first to post a comment on it 3 years ago :)

http://www.youtube.com/comment_servlet?all_comments&v=Afss7QL4wAc&fromurl=/watch%3Fv%3DAfss7QL4wAc

Lovely xmas presents by the way!

Happy Christmas to you all, and a to all a prosperous new year.

Jaysus! 3 years ago, bloody hell, where did that time go??!! :eek:

Got me one of these Parkside (Lidl) random orbital sanders today, I think one of you guys got one a few years back, at leat I remember someone praising them?! Anyway, for €20 you couldnt really go wrong and it seems a nice bit of kit! Those Parkside tools feel, and look a little better made than Aldi's 'Powercraft' I think.

09_37664_b.jpg
    http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20100114.p.Random_Orbital_Sander

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭scienceoverBS

hi guys
    i hope im in the right place to post ,a friend of mine recommend this as a great helpful site .
    im considering a logcabin in my rear garden 3 m x 3 m . just wondering has anyone heard of www.loghouse.ie as they seem professional enough.any info on this type of build would be great thanks in advance.

Any of ye catch that program tonight on BBC2 'Mastercrafts - Greenwood furniture', bloody good program! They got 3 ordinary Joe's and brough them out into a remote greenwood craft shop, in the middle of a forest and thought them the necessary skills to make chairs using traditional methods! I wanna go do that, I sort of feel like chopping a tree down now! :P

Have a look in the guide, it'll be repeated at some stage soon I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

Hiya Croppy,
    Missed that, sounds good, like a Hy Wycombe Bodgers in the wood type program? I was on a rustic green wood chair making buzz a few years ago and used a draw knife to make the tenons. Good fun and some of the chairs /stools are still in use in the garden. You can make stuff from hedge thinnings or make your self a froe from a truck spring and rive stuff out. Veritas make drill powered tenon cutters but they are big bucks. I reckon a shaving horse would be very handy if you were to get into it in big way.
    F.
    http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/17530/my-1500-shaving-horse

I've wanted to make one of those shaving horses for a while now! Nothing fancy, just something that I could knock together, not worry about appearance and leave the fecker outside!

Anyway, any of you guys see this guys Youtube channel? 'TheLumberJackass', he's based in Galway. Some good reviews, project and well put together vids!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLumberjackass

And, on a side note, a little article on misé.....:o
    http://www.montecarlow.com/2010/02/carlow-business-spotlight-1-peter-heary-woodcraft/

Thats some good stuff, cheers DB! ;)

Was in the local hardware a while back and chanced upon a Stanley No5 JP, not having seen that particular plane all that often in hardware stores (usually its No4's) I picked it up to have a look. What a pitiful, low grade make Stanley has become!! :( Jesus the thing was a mess! It was new out of the box so undamaged, the handles were poorly fitted, bad countersinking and ill fitting, there was a thick shellac/varnish material slawmed onto them. The machining was third grade, infact, its like something that was made and assembled in the third world by a junior infacts class! :(

Needless to say it didnt bare the proud title of 'MADE IN ENGLAND'

Let that be a warning to anyone thinking of buying a plane DO NOT buy any of those modern Stanleys or Record, go online and pick up a decent 40's-early 80's Record or Stanley, when they did have some pride in their work and offered some quality pieces.

On a more upbeat note, I've learned how to sharpen my own handsaws! :D Got an Elipse No77 set, a few files, a saw vice and a few hours and I've brought a few old saws back to life! So damn satisfying!! No more el cheapo, disposable handsaws for me! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

Nice one on the saw sharpening CroppyBoy, I've only ever attempted this on an old tenon saw and found it very satisfying too! +1 on the cheapo new planes on offer from the hardware/ providers, why bother I wonder? Who would buy these planes? A pro or serious amateur would know better, so maybe the unimformed novice perhaps? If so, they'd only make that mistake once! I have an English made Record No. 5 which I bought in Gough's over 10 years ago, it was one of the last decent planes to come out of Record and is streets ahead of any of the muck that Stanley put their name to now.

Its an odd one JOA, I've been giving it some thought as to why Stanley/Record/Irwin would let there standards drop so much. I think the reason being is that it simply wouldnt be worth there time or effort to produce a quality plane anymore! Sure who'd use them?! Once upon a time :p almost every house had a tool kit of some description which would have contained a hand plane, they were a household necessity and no man could call himself a man unless he could mend a sticking door or get that drawer closing smoothly again! :p

Who buys them now though? Perhaps the very odd householder, but I'd imagine very few now adays would know how to shapen and use a handplane! Why would they when you can pick up an electric one (and of course electric is SO much better than muscle power loike! :D) out of Aldi/Lidl for 20 squids. The only quality plane makers I can see now adays are Veritas, Lie-Nielson etc, tool makers that make tools as they should be made for dedicated woodworkers as this seems to be the only market. That general handman/DIY market for good branded tools seems to have dried up for good hand tools.

I must admit, when I first became interested and dabbled in woodwork, I too thought "power tools" were "the answer"! A common pitfall, I now believe! I haven't bought a power tool in a few years but (as my wife can attest) I've bought a hell of a lot of hand tools- and to be truthful the only handtools I've ever regretted purchasing were the poorer quality ones; everything else was a "bargain" in my eyes! I've been out of work for a few months and just recently found employment once more so I look forward to treating myself to a hand tool (or two) when my first paycheck comes in; happy days!

Made a trip to a car boot sale today and came away with 3 nice saws for the pricely sum of €10! :D. Got a nice little brass backed dovetail saw for 7, then on the way out I stopped to look at two steel backed tenon saws that were lying on the ground at a stall, no sooner had I picked one up to look at it then the seller shouted 'you can have the two of them for €3!', I was like 'ermm, ok mate I'm not even gonna bother haggling with you!', result! ;) The two of them have light surface rust and the handles look a bit hungry, but have all there teeth and straight blades, they'll clean up nice, especially the 'Wm Marples & Sons Ltd' one!! :) The other is unbranded, but not bad for 1.50 a piece!! I'll sharpen them up and get them back into service over the next few days!

• Advertisement

Photos please, I'm jealous!

Here's the three latest edition to the family :p. The bottom one is the Marples and is currently getting a new handle, its still in the 'shaping' process and is made of Walnut.

handlenew3.jpg

handlenew.jpg

[IMG][/img]handlenew2.jpg

I've sharpened the dovetail saw, it was a b%$£h to do, the teeth are so fine! But she's cutting nice and cleanly now! :)

[IMG][/img]ripsaw.jpg

This lil' beaut arrived in the post this morning! :) This one cost me €8 (including postage) from the UK, it was a flea-bay buy. Its a 'Columbian', USA made rip saw. 26" blade, 7tpi. Gave her a sharpen and re-set tonight and she's flying now. There is etching on the blade but its faded sadly :(. Something about being made in the USA, warranted, quality steel........the usual stuff! :p Judging by the font of the text I'd reckon its from about 1900-1920. Its been sharpened a lot in its life, it came to me with a pretty poor attempt at being sharpened :rolleyes:

Nice finds, nice work! That ripsaw has certainly seen plenty of filing in its life.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

TIL:
    - Paul Sellers just makes it look easy, the sod
    - My mortice and tenons barely qualify for the name
    - Drawboring a mortice and tenon joint really does take a half-blind-scout-with-a-dull-hatchet job and turn it into a secure solid joint without glue
    - The greatest luthier's trick in the world actually works
    - If you buy the cheap set of three diamond sharpening plates for 15 quid thinking it'll do you for a month or two until you can get a proper EZE-lap one, you're in for a disappointment when they go from working to not working in the space of two chisels and a plane blade :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Sparks wrote: »
    TIL:
    - Paul Sellers just makes it look easy, the sod
    - My mortice and tenons barely qualify for the name
    - Drawboring a mortice and tenon joint really does take a half-blind-scout-with-a-dull-hatchet job and turn it into a secure solid joint without glue
    - The greatest luthier's trick in the world actually works
    - If you buy the cheap set of three diamond sharpening plates for 15 quid thinking it'll do you for a month or two until you can get a proper EZE-lap one, you're in for a disappointment when they go from working to not working in the space of two chisels and a plane blade :(

I got 4 diamond sharpeners on a block in Lidl for €10 and they are great. It is very easy to ruin the cheap ones though if you don't use loads of honing fluid. Just because it was on hand (left over) I use BBQ lighter fluid which works great. I even use the 200 grit diamond for cleaning surface rust, its done a lot of work and is still good.

I may have gotten a particularly cheap set so - I had them well coated (so I thought) in window cleaning fluid (Seller's recommended trick) but the coarse one went to smooth in the space of three blades anyway. I guess I go back to the scary sharp and the oilstones for a while until I get enough put away for a decent diamond stone (I saw those lovely ceramic ones and then I saw the pricetag for both the stone and the lapping plate to keep them flat :D ).

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

Excellent trick with Masking tape and Superglue. Thanks for that.

I was using it to hold down the diamond stones yesterday. Absolutely solid as a rock.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Hey all. So ive recent started following this forum, and to date I can say ive completed 3 "projects", but im easing myself into it. Today, while doing some spring cleaning, I realised I needed a box of some sort to put random desktop crap into. Quick trip to woodies (its Sunday after all), grabbed whatever timber looked rugged enough (treated timber) and some ply for a base and off home.

Result:
    hGYZumkvUjQEaiRAtHboc8ZiNbbFeY9yZc85UKvDSsmsqdo5qqPpyXuVe_0pcoZwLOP4BI2MOko_nMZ2jcq-TMGM7sEFODZjXVCicu15G2RuSzAafBvyQFGS9WyjdB4VhMx5pFFjqd6u3OIyIFM9o153mjw7WbFZ2rvt5x7OZD4PE8WNHnRORnxJfYEj8Ew1VvWr8w36RAe0amFMW0r0H6pHbf-oN_mHWdvjrHiREH6tqcE5wsAW6iGp3FJGtGxRC3xg_r04texPl9GaCoTI99p1xlqcSKhzej827zrxHi5NSALiDsHxcmGHPwbGGSYQqJnd8zpKk0lzydJ9D3cQ8ity4rPA1BGxxOu7e5wOWUaOWJTKQ4vTGZwQ3A0615nX_nCZEbSAUdsbk5QC7ojW26K-jvnraYbZWmIGdDxsat7WL-K1ibbdyUKYs0NQrWUCXjNTqOTfDKo54V82EK5vFZAfSaWN5j4aI9qeTLWfh7IDn31quX3GeB1liv1512jjbVUtLwu1UbUeqKHqKrwhKyLDMA72k0Q4IFvCumvmqzYukX68_0YeQOQ_TdfCXh_VDCpKEw=w2136-h1602-no

Advertisement