Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Built-in/fitted wardrobes needed, Galway

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

paddy147 wrote: »

With regards to Ikea......I know quite a few professional carpenters and builders who buy Ikea wardrobes and various wardrobe fittings and then "modify" them to suit and give a built in look.

A very good alternative to paying out silly money,if you are on a budget or have X amount of cash to spend with a house build or rennovation project.

I also love how alot of carpenters feel the need to slate Ikea and their products.

Maybe its because all their noses are being put out of joint by Ikea being here in Ireland.;)

And why do you think they do that paddy? I bet they charge a markup on what they paid then charge for the assembly and fitting of it and also extra to make it look all pretty to make it look a million dollars!

How much would you charge to manufacture and install a 1800 wardrobe with fillers all round, have it perfectly level and doors correctly adjusted?

Also you didn't answer my question in my last post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

So now we have a member slating a company (Ikea) and also making unfounded slanderous comments about the company aswell.

Yet hes in total denial.

Brilliant.

So now we have a member slating a company (Ikea) and also making unfounded slanderous comments about the company aswell.

Yet hes in total denial.

Brilliant.

Who is in total denial? I don't see anyone denying anything on here.

So you didnt slate Ikea or slander them then???

Because you did and have,yet you seem to deny this..

Re-read what you posted again.

Ikea is cheap caus they don't care how long it takes until it falls apart.

Oh and have a nice day.

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

You did,and slanderous too.
    Maybe you need to re-read what you posted about Ikea then.

Let me refresh your memory.

Sorry, where did you imagine i slandered IKEA?:confused:

• Advertisement

galwayrush wrote: »
    Sorry, where did you imagine i slandered IKEA?:confused:

Read what you posted again about Ikea,their products and their workers,and then look up the term slander and what it means.

I,ll leave you to it now.
    Have a nice evening.

Regards.

Read what you posted again,and then look up the term slander and what it means.

I know well what slander means, please tell me where you imagined i did it?:confused:

So you didnt slate Ikea or slander them then???

Because you did and have,yet you seem to deny this..

Re-read what you posted again.

Ikea is cheap caus they don't care how long it takes until it falls apart.

They are cheap for a reason! How else do they make everything so cheaply. Their floating shelves are not solid all the way through! They are hollow inside! A custom made one will be solid the whole way through and be of a far superior quality!

You can't compare ikea with something built professionally and customised to suit the area in which it is being fitted!

Can you imagine turning up with flat pack ikea wardrobes to a clients house in cardboard and explaining to the client if they are there that it's ok you paid for a custom built wardrobe but I bought you ikea and will make it look custom?!!

It wouldn't work and they would or should rightly show that carpenter the door! It's not the same quality

Read what you posted again about Ikea,their products and their workers,and then look up the term slander and what it means.

I,ll leave you to it now.
    Have a nice evening.

Regards.
    You can't show me , can you?
    Perhaps someone with a better understanding of the English language could show me where i slandered IKEA.

My full and humble appoligies to "Galwayrush" on this matter.

He did not slander Ikea.

It was "Galwaydude18" who slandered and slated,Ikea,their products and their workers (post 15).
    And there ya go mass production throwing out thousands of them everyday and the the end result is something far less nice to look at compared to custom wardrobes that have fillers etc. that make it look part of the wall rather than ikea ones leaving gaps everywhere around them!

Ikea is cheap caus they don't care how long it takes until it falls apart. I mean would you buy your stairs from there or get a proper made one that will be made to suit site condutions where your joinery will actually care about there craft where the ikea assembly people havnt spent thousands of hours perfecting their trade and skill don't care once it's gone past their station?

I got mixed up with the 2 "Galway" member names.

Appoligies again to Galwayrush.

• Advertisement

Peace.. :)

galwayrush wrote: »
    Peace.. :)

Fair is fair,I was wrong and got things mixed up,so my appoligies to you.:)

To quote a well known American movie actor in his police action film series
    "Im getting too old for this sh!t!".:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

havent posted in woodcraft for a while smiling at all the comments here and just had to throw my bit in.
    Ikea liking searching for gold: youll go through a lot of **** to find a nugget.
    its cheap and cheerful, their kitchens arent always the easiest fitted but mainly due to the fact the ejit selling it hasnt got an idea how the fitter puts it together or whether they have to make numerous call backs to fit pieces that didnt arrive in the first delivery.
    Cash and carry are grand. ok quality and usually a more informed sales rep. little things like grain direction and returns are my only usual quibble.
    kitchen and wardrobe workshops tend to put in that little bit extra that give a more overall pleasing look when finished.
    Bespoke once off furniture. This where you get your quality. something that is made precisely to fit into a set area, taking in all aspects of the surrounding area making sure that there is a balnce with everything around. designed and built without limitations such as door size shelving layout or whether you want a row of adjustable shelves the whole way or not. will ikea allow for a buddha statue or some other random object stuck in some obscure part of the unit. The only limitation is the designers imagination.

Now to cut through all the last option is by far the superior, however also the most costly. there is a serious amount of machines and tooling needed and setup times and machining off standard pieces will always incurr high costs but usually similar levels of satisfaction in both the customer and tradesman.

The earlier options can look well and often do. but to anyone who knows what real bespoke items are these just dont come into comparison. Nobody is charging massive money anymore, some people just dont have the comprehension or apreciation to value true craftsmanship.

ive worked with allforms and find that they all have a place in the market, its just that everyone looks for different things in a piece of furniture, some pure functionality (whether that be only for a short period) some pure design and some going into the exact detail of how every part is put together, so that your constantly question how it was made.

now sorry for the long post but i can see how everyone is getting jibbed by all the different comments and would ra ther see a balance,.
    However this N that, i really do believe you are either completly misinformed to the price of materials or time it takes to make a proper wardrobe or you should just stick to doing this and that.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Robbie71

"However this N that, ............ you should just stick to doing this and that. "

Ouch ,
    Let that be a warning to everybody,
    Dont make 1chippy write a "post" , you would'nt like him if he has to "post"

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭thisNthat

1chippy wrote: »
    However this N that, i really do believe you are either completly misinformed to the price of materials or time it takes to make a proper wardrobe or you should just stick to doing this and that.
    That showed me :rolleyes:

At least galwaydude18, woodturner and galwayrush made valid arguments which have convinvced me differently but your just waffling :cool: ZZZZzzzzzzzz

I'd say ya wouldn't know which end of the hammer to use :D

thisNthat wrote: »
    1chippy wrote: »
    That showed me :rolleyes:

At least galwaydude18, woodturner and galwayrush made valid arguments which have convinvced me differently but your just waffling :cool: ZZZZzzzzzzzz

I'd say ya wouldn't know which end of the hammer to use :D

Well thisNthat are you coming back on to let us now how you can do it for half the price we were saying? Been waiting a long time for your answer. :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 BostGalway

Ikea is all over the Europe and still people are choosing professional companies to do the jobs and it's not only about the wardrobes but loads of products U can get there. The truth is that if U all will choose Ikea or similar U will get a cheap quality product which is only pretending a fitted wardrobe, custom made bedroom etc. and kill local brands selling proper products. Mass production is killing real professionals with a years of experience- yes they are more expensive as they are not selling 100 items a day- their products has to be good quality and the job has to be done perfect as they wont survive a day on the market. Big shops doesn't care about all of these details and they are paying funny money for their products- it has to be loads and cheap and that's what U getting for your money- U save? No! U still paying much more money for these products than it is worth. They making much more more by selling cheap stuff than the proper professional for they products and job. So choice is yours cheat yourself and buy cheap stuff and "save" or do it as it suppose to be done and choose your local supplier as easy as that.

Wow ...so if I buy something thats cheap,then Im cheating myself.And all because I didnt go to my local supplier...wow.

Oh and just easier way to explain this- it's like buying chines BMW- it's only pretending original car.

Your nose seems to be put out of joint with regards people buying from bigger shops and companies.I wonder why???

Thats a persons own choice to do so,and comming on here and dictating to us (with your all of 2 posts so far),that we are cheating ourselves is not right either.
    Who exactly are you to tell people what to do and what they are doing??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭bertie 56

I see only one problem in all this : people don't want to put money in things nowadays.

My grand-father did put 4 months of wages to get a wardrobe.
    A solid chestnut one.
    It belongs to my father now, and it will be mine one day.
    And will be given to my children after, and if there is not too much woodworms in it, to my grand children.

Would you put 4 months of wages yourself in a wardrobe ?

PS : what difference between Ikea chipboard and " professional-quality-custom-build " chipboard ? Seems strange to me to associate these 2 words : "chipboard" and "quality" ... :rolleyes:

Look I'm talking about big shops operating in many countries- they can get products really chap but they still have to make loads of profits to pay their bills yes bills esb, phone, rates, employees and on the top of it they have to make profits for the main office so if they selling something very cheap they still making couple hundred percents on this product. But now even they are buying loads there is still minimum price for this product they have to pay and earn couple hundred percents to make profits. So if for ex. U buy couch for 400€ they have to make at least 200- 300% profit on it. So it means that product ready for sale in the shop is 2-3 times more expensive that the price they have to pay for it. What quality could be that couch for 100- 150€- and supplier also has to make profit on it... It is free forum and everybody can write something so it doesnt matter that i have only 2 posts thats what I think and know how it works from my own experience and I decided to explain it if U want accept it if not as U said its everybodys choice what to do and what to believe in. I'm not dictating anyone anything and sorry if that sound like this. I know that if I'm looking some good quality stuff big shop is the last place where I'm gonna look for it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

I think New Girl - has enough ideas for now.

Closed - getting out of hand.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement