Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcoholic Drinks from yesteryear

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Rockshore*

*I'm writing this post on 31-Mar-2031 by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Omackeral wrote: »
    d6ff98507e89d63020c5f3bf08ec5e99.jpg

I remember drinking a load of these at a party one night the only drink left and it was strawberry or raspberry anyway on the long walk home about 4 in the morning I started to vomit and all that came out was this red stuff and me in my drunken state was convinced it was blood and I was on my way out .. save to say I never drank it again..
    Another drink I got a sickener from was aftershock

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Sidekicks. Single shots in plastic sealed egg cup sized containers. Short lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

mariaalice wrote: »
    Dubonnet and white lemonade were the high of sophistication when I was young.

Apparently gin and dubonnet is the Queens drink of choice. You can still get it in some off licences..not that you'd want to!

Sheridans cream. Not sure if it's still around but we used to drink it as kids not realizing there was alcohol in it cos it had the word cream on the bottle. The bottle was black and white and we called it the Michael Jackson.
    Let's have some Michael Jackson we'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭HBC08

I spent college drinking Ritz.

Just had a look there and its in Supervalue!
    Will definitely pick up a few cans for the nostalgia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

pm. wrote: »
    Pints of Harp, not sure if it's still available but it used to be everywhere

Pre-Covid you'd still find Harp on Tap in a few Dublin pubs. Not many mind you

Hudson Blue. Absolutely awful cider

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Notmything

E mac wrote: »
    Sidekicks. Single shots in plastic sealed egg cup sized containers. Short lived.

Was going to mention them myself.

Is aftershock still on the go? brightly coloured shots.

Back in the early 90's bottles of labbatts and fosters ice seemed to be popular in clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Helium

In all my years as a barman back in the day Never remember selling a bottle, just gathered dust on shelf.

Not sure if Goldschlager is around these days but we used to do shots of that at the end of the night in the 90s,also Pernod and black.

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    d6ff98507e89d63020c5f3bf08ec5e99.jpg

We once went on a school day out to see a performance of King lear.
    I got a load of Woodies orange and emptied them into Fanta bottles (inexplicably glass fanta bottles,painstakingly forcing the caps back on,it took hours,i dont know why i didnt use plastic screwtop bottles!)
    Anyway everyone got steamboats on the bus including a few innocent lads who had never drank before,fellas puking in the theatre etc
    There was a big enquiry but nobody squealed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭The Mulk

I used to drink cans of Coors (not Coors Light) about 20 years ago, it was in an amber can and 5%, they used to sell it in Dunnes.
    There were pint bottles of cider that came out about the same time "Irish Knights" or "Knights Irish Cider"
    And Hudson Blue cider from Guinness was in our local for a brief time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭cml387

Yellow pack lager from Crazy Prices. An prime example of why the eighties were bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭mick121

Bottles of Becks in the late 80s/early 90s.I remember leaving Dublin early 90s and asking for a bottle of Becks in Clare and the bar ma asking looking very confused,he asked me how to spell it!!! needless to say he didn't have it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

storker wrote: »
    I worked in a pub during the 80's so the ones that stick in my mind that you don't see any more are McArdles, Babycham and Snowball. That said, I'm very rarely in pubs so maybe they're still around, somewhere.

From the late 70's to early 90's my father worked in Bulmers.

Last Friday of every month near date drinks were sold of cheap to staff.

The snowball and babycham were bought (for visitors I guess) along with Stag and Hunter and stored in an old meal bin for horses!

Snowball was a regular stolen drink when I was very young.

I remember him getting old rum barrels which had a litre or so left in them. My father wasn't much of a drinker, that rum seemed to last forever.

Coopers cider was another Bulmers flop.

Ritz was another one

Give her Ritz to get her in Bits ring a bell

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Satzenbrau

It's still out there. Saw it in my local there last year during the first pub opening in June and had to get a bottle of it.

It's absolutely vile.

---

The biggest disappearing act for me was Miller Genuine Draft. On tap everywhere during my formative drinking years (2001-2005) and almost overnight it was gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

Nobelaner. I use get 10 little bottles for around 4 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭sioda

Michelle sparkling cider from Quinnsworth height of sophistication as it had a plastic champagne cork top 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Guinness North Star

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭BobMc

is Ritz still available ? had a few while underage back in late 80's, Woodys was ahead of the time now look at all the hard seltzers that are out nowadays,

Nobody drinks Pernod and black anymore either shame :( that was a colourful vomit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,340 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Canadian lager

Was launched around 2014.

Very bland, not sure if it is still available

Just on the topic of alco pops is WKD still around?

People used to mix Smirnoff ice and wkd to make “fat frogs”

Smirnoff ice was hugely popular at one stage. It really died a death

Guinness North Star

That brings back memories. It was part of the Brewhouse series. There was also Toucan and Brew 39.

There was meant to be a 4th stout but Guinness scrapped the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Labatts
    MD2020
    Furstenberg
    Stag
    Holsten

Bottles of smirnoff mule

Vaguely remember this from my bar man days. A spin off of Smirnoff ice if I remember correctly.

Smirnoff ice was so popular at the time they even had a “draught” version of it at the bar along side all the other draught beers on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Widely available and consumed up North.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Helium wrote: »

In all my years as a barman back in the day Never remember selling a bottle, just gathered dust on shelf.

Imagine bringing an advert like that out nowadays there'd be uproar.

Hooch, Mugshot

Yeah there was a rake of alco pops at one stage

Bacardi breezers were very popular
    Then smaller brands like 2 dogs, hooch, red square, Metz, reef

All mad colours, full of sugar and sickly sweet

Still plenty in Dundalk. Though Dublin is frustrating. :P
    Couldn't understand the point in launching Rockshore and all the money they spent when they already have a good lager on their books.

About 15 years ago Kopparberg was 7% and cost under a fiver. 3 bottles (same alcohol as a bottle of wine) and you'd be well buzzing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭littlevillage

BA633124-1622-47-DE-B734-363-F6144-E290.jpg

Thunderbird. That stuff was rocket fuel. It would perfectly fit into those towel roller things in the school bathroom. If there was a school disco that night, you’d bring your drink to school with you that day and when the last bell went, you’d hide it in the towel roller. Fast forward to that night and you’d prance into school all dressed up with no need for a bag.

The teachers never copped where we hid it but one night one of the girls got sick all over the headmistress and that was the end of the school discos.

:)

Theirs quite an entertaining song about Thunderbird wine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

BobMc wrote: »
    is Ritz still available ? had a few while underage back in late 80's, Woodys was ahead of the time now look at all the hard seltzers that are out nowadays,

Nobody drinks Pernod and black anymore either shame :( that was a colourful vomit

Ritz still exists. Naturally.

Advertisement