Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Euromillions again.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,490 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

jojofizzio wrote: »
    Dang,was convinced I was going to win....so Tuesday’s will be €210m?

No, still €200 million. All explained here.

https://irish.national-lottery.com/euromillions/jackpot-cap

If it gets to this level again there will be a new cap of €210 million next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭buried

Won 3 euros. Party cancelled for the time being.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

1 in 139,838,160 odds of winning.

1 in 10,737,573 odds of winning Irish lotto.

I laugh at people who waste a fortune on it. Must have the IQ of a goldfish or been dropped on their heads a few times.

Curmudgeons who come out with this seem to have this notion that everybody who plays it are on their knees anxiously praying to win it, what's wrong with just playing it now and then for a harmless bit of craic? Someone has to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭AllForIt

oh good, I though to do it this evening at like 7:35pm

A local guy a few years ago placed a bet in Ladbrokes, that a certain 4 numbers would be drawn in the Irish lottery and got odds of 30,000 - 1

He put €3 on it and won.

Had he just done the lotto as normal, and the 4 numbers came up he would have won approx €50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

o1s1n wrote: »
    Jesus that really puts his wealth in perspective doesn't it?

he has so much money he could buy a NEW buggatti Veyron each day, drive it till it ran out of fuel and just get into a new one, and he would still increase in wealth.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

he has so much money he could buy a NEW buggatti Veyron each day, drive it till it ran out of fuel and just get into a new one, and he would still increase in wealth.

Have you accounted for the cost of the taxis to get him from wherever he runs out of fuel to the nearest bugatti showroom?

Jesus i'd love to win 200m. I just don't buy into the whole it will ruin your life spiel, if you find it's ruining your life there's nothing stopping you giving it away. I'd give most of it away anyway - i reckon i could struggle through life just fine with only 20m in the bank, actually make that 30 just in case:D

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

Have you accounted for the cost of the taxis to get him from wherever he runs out of fuel to the nearest bugatti showroom?

Jesus i'd love to win 200m. I just don't buy into the whole it will ruin your life spiel, if you find it's ruining your life there's nothing stopping you giving it away. I'd give most of it away anyway - i reckon i could struggle through life just fine with only 20m in the bank, actually make that 30 just in case:D

Ha, I was looking at a helicopter !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Classic Bill Gates one is that if he drops 100 dollars from his pocket it's not worth his time to pick it up as he earns 114 dollars per second.

That was when he was worth 72 billion, he's worth more now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Ush1 wrote: »
    Classic Bill Gates one is that if he drops 100 dollars from his pocket it's not worth his time to pick it up as he earns 114 dollars per second.

I’ve heard that story numerous times. It makes no sense though. His wealth generation isn’t impacted on whether or not he bends down so surely it’s still worth his while to pick it up. He’d earn $114 in that second and still pick up the $100 like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Ush1 wrote: »

do wealthy people truly 'earn' their money?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    do wealthy people truly 'earn' their money?
    Well if they're self made, then yes, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

If anybody does it for the craic, then wins and is afraid the money will ruin their life then don’t fret, and pm me as I can help there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Scotty # wrote: »
    Well if they're self made, then yes, of course.

you ll find most wealth is in the form of assets, i own assets, ive worked hard to be able to buy them, i havent worked hard in watching them grow in value, i suspect most wealthy individuals have worked even less than me in regards watching the value of their assets grow. the hardest amount of work ive done in watching the value of my assets grow, is turning on some sort of computerized device to view their value, i suspect wealthy individuals get others to do it for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

Was the 179000000 euro won?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Doing the Euromillions when the jackpot is this high is worth the price. You know you're not going to win it realistically speaking but you're in the draw at least and what you're really doing is buying a "daydream" where you can fantasise about what you'd do with the money until such time as you get the "Not a winning ticket" inevitability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A local guy a few years ago placed a bet in Ladbrokes, that a certain 4 numbers would be drawn in the Irish lottery and got odds of 30,000 - 1

He put €3 on it and won.

Had he just done the lotto as normal, and the 4 numbers came up he would have won approx €50.

this is deffo the better way to spend a few euro if you want to win some money, it'll never be a yacht buying fund but handy if it comes up.
    Was the 179000000 euro won?

Nope it's 200m.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭circadian

What a ridiculous comment.

It's not really. The likes of Bezos has people dying in Amazon Warehouses after being worked to the bone.

The mega wealthy regularly make vulgar amounts of money per year because they pay so many staff as little as possible with no investment in their wellbeing or health.

These guys do work, but it doesn't warrant absolutely destroying the workforce and large portions of society to maximise their profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

you ll find most wealth is in the form of assets, i own assets, ive worked hard to be able to buy them, i havent worked hard in watching them grow in value, i suspect most wealthy individuals have worked even less than me in regards watching the value of their assets grow. the hardest amount of work ive done in watching the value of my assets grow, is turning on some sort of computerized device to view their value, i suspect wealthy individuals get others to do it for them

Bill Gates didn't buy Microsoft then sit back and watch it grow. Jeff Bezos didn't buy Amazon then sit back and watch it grow. It's not the same as the property or shares you bought or whatever you might be referring to. They built something from nothing, got market share and hired employees off their own back, before eventually getting as big as they are. You don't do that without being exceptionally talented and hard working, in addition to being lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time.

By all means, there is plenty governments could and should be doing to encourage more equality and tax people in these positions. But it would be a lie to say they did nothing to earn it.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

dd973 wrote: »
    Curmudgeons who come out with this seem to have this notion that everybody who plays it are on their knees anxiously praying to win it, what's wrong with just playing it now and then for a harmless bit of craic? Someone has to win it.

No fun on this thing the only reason to play is indeed the money.

• Advertisement

this is deffo the better way to spend a few euro if you want to win some money, it'll never be a yacht buying fund but handy if it comes up

Big wins on those bookies games are probably as rare are Euromillions jackpot winners in Ireland. Simply because of how few "tickets" would be in the draws, and the nature of the system e.g. get four numbers out of five you win nothing.

It wouldn't be unknown for gamblers to exaggerate their winnings, and I cannot find any bookie online giving anything near the odds quoted on that posted you answered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

PP euromillions four numbers - 33001/1

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make? Anyone who has built an asset from scratch has 'earned' that asset, regardless of it's value, inflation, etc.
    is it really?
    Yes.

No winner of the €200 million 08 Dec. Nice bonus for the 4 5+1's who each get €5,684,144. None of those in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

No winner of the €200 million 08 Dec. Nice bonus for the 4 5+1's who each get €5,684,144. None of those in Ireland.

Ah ffs I didn't even get to check my tickets.

Nice bonus for the 4 5+1's who each get €5,684,144
    A nice sum that would keep most happy for the rest of their lives without the mayhem that €200m would bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

2 Irish people got 4+2 numbers and got €1,490.

That would haunt me, imagine being 1 number away from €200mil.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Saw this thread on the main page and assumed the jackpot had been won in Ireland. I got excited and was already planning my new life ffs

PP euromillions four numbers - 33001/1
    Not any more. Only one bookies (Boylesports I think) are still taking bets on Euromillions.

The two are not the same at all.

In normal lotto he gets to select 6 numbers but only has to hit 4 of the 6, effectively giving him two extra chances which increase his odds drastically and thus reduces the payout drastically. 917/1 odds in Irish lotto. Plus in the normal lotto he has several other possibilities to win other prizes... 3 numbers, 5 numbers, etc.

In the bookies, he only gets to select 4 numbers and all 4 have to be drawn to win. Much much lower odds with no other prize possibilities.

BTW, Paddy Power offer €7200/1 on 4 balls in the Irish Lotto. It's one of the lowest. Others offer €8500/1 for the same bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,902 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Scotty # wrote: »
    Not any more. Only one bookies (Boylesports I think) are still taking bets on Euromillions.

PP are doing it again.
    500000/1 for five numbers as opposed to €19430 with the National Lottery tonight.
    And you can bet 10c with PP and still end up with 50k if your luck comes in.

Advertisement