Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euromillions again.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭blackwhite

The bank is not going to know that it’s missing transactions unless it’s a huge amount of money.

A bank is quite capable of mastering the concept of Opening Balance + Money In - Money Out = Closing Balance.

If you send them Revolut statements that don't balance, then the follow-up is going to be asking for details of the missing transactions

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Gael23 wrote: »
    €200 million would ruin your life. You would end up spending most of it on personal security.
    If I won the €500k plus draw I’d be happy. That would allow me buy my own house in cash and possibly have some change left over

You think so ?
    Why ? kidnappers ? etc ?

Do the likes of Tom Cruise that's worth about 500M need to spend a fortune on protecting family members from kidnappers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Do the likes of Tom Cruise that's worth about 500M need to spend a fortune on protecting family members from kidnappers ?
    $50k/week on one of his kids alone. Plus he has two bodyguards of his own 24/7.

There was a documentary on there a couple of years ago about British lotto winners who had won big. The majority of them said they wished they'd never won. Lost all their friends, social lives, family... etc. The all said it was great for a few months, but then the fun goes and the problems start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Scotty # wrote: »
    Once the €200m is won the cap goes to €210m, then €220m. This carries on until it reaches €250m which will be the final cap.

An insane amount of money to hand over to one person.
    I imagine any single winner will suddenly become a syndicate of family members to divide the winnings without the tax liability.

I imagine any single winner will suddenly become a syndicate of family members to divide the winnings without the tax liability.
    Indeed, but be very careful! Verbal agreements are useless when it goes to court!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

if you think it would ruin your life you're daydreaming wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 6,915 ✭✭✭circadian

nj27 wrote: »
    That's a crazy sum of money. Never played the lotto but I might put a couple of grand on it this Friday.

In for a penny in for a few grand, as the saying goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

If a thick fcuker wins it, it could ruin their life. Someone with a bit of savvy about them would be able to manage it a bit better.

Secrecy is the key.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,705 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

BattleCorp wrote: »
    If a thick fcuker wins it, it could ruin their life. Someone with a bit of savvy about them would be able to manage it a bit better.

Secrecy is the key.

It would be an awful burden to place on other people who you swore to secrecy. And when the pubs re-open there would be a danger that someone might let the cat out of the bag after a few pints.

The only safe thing would be not to tell anyone, lead an unchanged life, and let world find out when you die. Bit of a waste of 200 million, but that is the price of secrecy.

It would be an awful burden to place on other people who you swore to secrecy. And when the pubs re-open there would be a danger that someone might let the cat out of the bag after a few pints.

The only safe thing would be not to tell anyone, lead an unchanged life, and let world find out when you die. Bit of a waste of 200 million, but that is the price of secrecy.

Yep, you can't tell anyone. You can change your life though. Slowly.

I've it all planned.

I'd set up a business that people would find hard to investigate. Maybe as an arms trader. I wouldn't trade of course. But it would be a front for where my money is coming from.

I wouldn't have the money in my own bank for a local employee to see. I'd have it spread across many banks that don't have branches in my town.

Eventually after about 5 years or so I could have earned enough money to .....ahem...........retire.

I wouldn't be the type to have a helicopter landing in my garden or have 10 Ferrari's in the driveway but I could put the Euromillions money to good use over time. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Yep, you can't tell anyone. You can change your life though. Slowly.

I've it all planned.

I'd set up a business that people would find hard to investigate. Maybe as an arms trader. I wouldn't trade of course. But it would be a front for where my money is coming from.

I wouldn't have the money in my own bank for a local employee to see. I'd have it spread across many banks that don't have branches in my town.

Eventually after about 5 years or so I could have earned enough money to .....ahem...........retire.

I wouldn't be the type to have a helicopter landing in my garden or have 10 Ferrari's in the driveway but I could put the Euromillions money to good use over time. :D

You could do what most wealthy Irish do. Live in a modest house, drive a ****ty car or a brand new one on the PCP, spend all your time cribbing in the pub about how times are tough and how expensive everything is gone and for the winter you phuq off to Marbella or some posher place and hop into your Lambo or your swimming pool. Have a few pics of someone elses more modest gaff in Marbella on your phone if anyone asks to see

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I'd live very happily with 200mil. Cars, holidays, houses and obviously get rid of the wife for a 21 year old Russian bride with legs for days

PsychoPete wrote: »
    I'd live very happily with 200mil. Cars, holidays, houses and obviously get rid of the wife for a 21 year old Russian bride with legs for days

T'wud be a good way of getting rid of 50% of your assets in one foul swoop too. :D You'd only be left with about 100mil. Sure you couldn't manage on that, could ya?

T'wud be a good way of getting rid of 50% of your assets in one foul swoop too. :D You'd only be left with about 100mil. Sure you couldn't manage on that, could ya?

Blow a 100mil of whatever you want then you've 100mil left to live the rest of your life with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

How does the whole syndicate thing work? Like can someone just write down five names and say it’s a syndicate? Or do they need to be able to show they bought the ticket for the group?

Tbh I think it’s too large

• Registered Users Posts: 20,705 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Too much? I’d make a go of it.

Set up most of the money in trusts for family members that pays an income.
    Clear the mortgage, wait a few months and pretend I won “a bit of cash” on the one of the smaller jackpots when I move house, not that I’d be a massive gaff or anything.

I’d revel, I’d imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Unless you end up buying helicopters, several sport's cars etc couldn't you just pretend you won 2 or 3 million and then invested it wisely .

Look after family and friends then it would be forgotten about which wouldn't happen if anyone knew it was 200m.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,323 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Gael23 wrote: »
    €200 million would ruin your life. You would end up spending most of it on personal security.
    If I won the €500k plus draw I’d be happy. That would allow me buy my own house in cash and possibly have some change left over

Agreed.

It is the unwanted attention that a massive amount ike that would bring, that would annoy me.

Strangers would have the begging bowl out, suddenly you would have this weight of responsibility to do some good with the money at the same time.

Plus the average person is not used to being landed with such an amount. Would have to spend loads on financial advice, lawyers and so on. It would really take the fun out of it. Plus a person would have to move away from the area they are living in even if they like it. As they would be too conspicuous. People say they would keep it a secret but it would get out, either through journalists or someone having a few jars too many and telling someone.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Strangers would have the begging bowl out, suddenly you would have this weight of responsibility to do some good with the money at the same time.

I'd get such enjoyment from telling people "no". I'd love to build a house that overlooked the whole parish so I could literally look down on everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

blackwhite wrote: »
    A bank is quite capable of mastering the concept of Opening Balance + Money In - Money Out = Closing Balance.

If you send them Revolut statements that don't balance, then the follow-up is going to be asking for details of the missing transactions

I’m well aware of that having worked in banking and finance for several years. I know a number of people that have removed items from their Revolut statements in order to provide them when applying for a mortgage with no issues. I’m not advocating that people do this just pointing out that it is possible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

razorblunt wrote: »
    Too much? I’d make a go of it.

Set up most of the money in trusts for family members that pays an income.
    Clear the mortgage, wait a few months and pretend I won “a bit of cash” on the one of the smaller jackpots when I move house, not that I’d be a massive gaff or anything.

I’d revel, I’d imagine.

Have a similar plan with disclaimers for the family “employees” of the company, if they reveal who the source of their new found income they will be cut off, plan is to set up a obscure foreign company, offer family members a tax free sum per year to keep their mouths shut, maybe €150k.

If we won the €200m outright, we would spend the remainder of our lives/money traveling the world (just tell the neighbours one of us got a job abroad and rent the property to some randomers) and helping out random people here and there, similar to secret millionaire.

Whatever is left when we die will go to the kids (or might set up a 10-20mill trust fund for them)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I would love to win that much.

I would of course sort my family out, pay off their mortgages and such first. And some friends.

Then I want to open a hostel/motel in my town with most rooms available for rent but keep a few empty for homeless/emergency accommodation.

Then I want to go to a developing country, maybe India and open some budget hotels. I would carefully select my staff and give them shares in the hotel, run it kinda like a co-op so the more guests the more they earn and get out of poverty.

Then I would buy myself a penthouse apartment facing the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur and live my life happy that all is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Write a cheque to the family, tell them I never want to see or hear from them again. Sort out my friends and then I'll live a modest life in a nice gaff. Wake up, eat breakfast, hit my personal gym, lunch, play golf, dinner, watch TV for the evening, go to bed.

That's the plan. I'm a simple man and I know what I like.

Secrecy is the key.

Would you be able to keep it a secret though ? and I don't mean the winner here blabbing I mean others that have to know - like the bank manager, the police , all it takes is some shady f*cker working in the bank to contact some kidnappers ...

Would you be able to keep it a secret though ?
    Not a chance. The press will hunt you down.

I actually know the family that won the €175m here last year. They tried desperately to keep it secret. It lasted about 4 days.

Scotty # wrote: »
    Not a chance. The press will hunt you down.

I actually know the family that won the €175m here last year. They tried desperately to keep it secret. It lasted about 4 days.

media scum

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If one of these shows up in a year's time, you'll know I won it.

You-Only-Live-Twice-1967.jpg

Many employment opportunities for minions. Jumpsuits will be provided.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭cal naughton

You couldn't put it in an Irish Bank either if you want secrecy as Mary on the counter would have everyone told. You would have to go to Switzerland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Actually I'd spend the rest of my days travelling the world buying up items of cultural/scientific/technological/artistic interest and build a museum of sorts, to be left to the nation upon my demise. A demise that would hopefully involve a massive coronary among nekkid supermodels and fine wines.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement