Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Forgotten Irish sitcoms.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Didn't Paths to Freedom and Bachelor's Walk both hit our screens in the same year (or very close to same year) ?
    Technically, Bachelor's walk probably not a sitcom I suppose, but it was very funny all the same.

It felt like a new beginning for comedy on RTE, which up to that point was pretty awful. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Incidentally does anyone else here other than me remember this?

I don't but I really should. I was a kid living in two-channel land in 1989!

Loved Jim Norton/Bishop Brennan in Fr. Ted. He's my favourite character in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

mailforkev wrote: »
    There was one a few years back that I actually thought wasn’t bad. Can’t remember the name, it was a family surname. Everyone, kids and parents, were played by actors roughly the same age.

Edit: found it on Google there, looks like it was called The Walshes and Graham Linehan was involved.

I enjoyed that. It helped that it was filmed around the corner from where I grew up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Bachelors Walk? Maybe not forgotten but it went years and years without being available on the RTE player and you could only see random episodes on YouTube.

I never watched it first time round but have been watching the re run. It's entertaining but I wouldn't call it a comedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

TG4 did C-U Burn which of you dont mind subtitles is really funny. There was just one series made but it's often been repeated.

They also showed a Mr Bean type silent comedy called Fear An Phoist which was just awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Incidentally does anyone else here other than me remember this?

If im thinking of the same programme, im sure the kid who starred in this went to the same school as me.

Glen Carroll was his name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

If im thinking of the same programme, im sure the kid who starred in this went to the same school as me.

Glen Carroll was his name.

Remember it vaguely... Not good

https://stillslibrary.rte.ie/indexplus/image/2332/053.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭George White

The Fitz was basically BBC trying to copy the success of Fr Ted. Lasted just one series in 2000. The "joke" was the family in it lived in a house that was half in the Republic and half in Northern Ireland and they all had red wigs for some reason. Was shockingly bad.

Had an overqualified cast.
    I managed to get the series on bootleg DVD over the lockdown, and god it is strange.
    The gay son in it is obsessed with blacking up as famed singers - a running joke they drop after two eps - he does Bassey and Ella Fitzgerald. There's non-diagetic musical numbers, at one point Jon Kenny performs There Once Was a Man from the Pyjama Game.
    The youngest daughter hs no character, and then basically turns into Lisa Simpson towards the end.
    A lot of it seeped into Mrs. Brown. Bronagh Gallagher's character had a different job every ep, like Dermot Brown. But the difference is Gallagher is a funny-bones performer. And even in bad material, she still managed to make the most of it.

It did the opposite to what Linehan and Matthews wanted, which is the theme song is this very Oirish Sharon Shannon-performed trad thing, while with Ted, they wanted something that wasn't trad, and very sitcom.

Leave It To Mrs O Brien. Anna Manahan was wasted in this rubbish.

Weirdly shown on several iTV regions in the 80s. I was stunned when a friend from Plymouth told me how Television southwest aired the thing.

• Advertisement

I managed to get the series on bootleg DVD over the lockdown, and god it is strange.
    The gay son in it is obsessed with blacking up as famed singers - a running joke they drop after two eps - he does Bassey and Ella Fitzgerald. There's non-diagetic musical numbers, at one point Jon Kenny performs There Once Was a Man from the Pyjama Game.
    The youngest daughter hs no character, and then basically turns into Lisa Simpson towards the end.
    A lot of it seeped into Mrs. Brown. Bronagh Gallagher's character had a different job every ep, like Dermot Brown. But the difference is Gallagher is a funny-bones performer. And even in bad material, she still managed to make the most of it.

It did the opposite to what Linehan and Matthews wanted, which is the theme song is this very Oirish Sharon Shannon-performed trad thing, while with Ted, they wanted something that wasn't trad, and very sitcom.

Yes, it was weird to see stalwarts like Eamon Morrrissey in it.. I seem to remember Jon Kenny singing a song about Tom And Nora (of the schoolbooks).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

There was one that aired in the mid 90's. A "comedy" about three priests living on an island. Think Pat Short appeared in it. Dreadful. How anyone thought it would work I do not know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

There was one that aired in the mid 90's. A "comedy" about three priests living on an island. Think Pat Short appeared in it. Dreadful. How anyone thought it would work I do not know.

tenor.gif?itemid=14811482

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Rhythmics

Fergus's Wedding
    Roose Bolton and his fiancee preparing for their wedding with the local priest, while trying to hide the fact that they're swingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

The kid from 'The Butcher Boy' started in it also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

.anon. wrote: »
    tenor.gif?itemid=14811482

That guy, Maurice O'Donoghue, was my english teacher for 3 years of secondary school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

This is a UK one, so doesn't count, strictly speaking but has an Irish main character: Tommy Tiernan, years ago, had his own sitcom called 'Small Potatoes'. It featured him and the British-Indian comic (who was 'Goodness Gracious Me' and lots of other stuff) as two lads working in a video shop. In the first episode he goes back to his hometown to visit his school or something - strange show. On late at night on BBC 2. I think that they produced one season and that was it. I'm not sure Tiernan did many other acting gigs between this show and Derry Girls.

El Tarangu wrote: »
    This is a UK one, so doesn't count, strictly speaking but has an Irish main character: Tommy Tiernan, years ago, had his own sitcom called 'Small Potatoes'. It featured him and the British-Indian comic (who was 'Goodness Gracious Me' and lots of other stuff) as two lads working in a video shop. In the first episode he goes back to his hometown to visit his school or something - strange show. On late at night on BBC 2. I think that they produced one season and that was it. I'm not sure Tiernan did many other acting gigs between this show and Derry Girls.

I remember that..Think I just saw the first episode, a mad guy coming into the shop claiming vampires were under his bed (I think)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

This is a UK one, so doesn't count, strictly speaking but has an Irish main character: .....

Aha! I get an in. I give you:
    "Never Mind the Quality, Feel the Width".

Only quote I can remember from it is :"ah holy St Susan of Sallynoggin".

Featured Joe Lynch, long before he started putting sh!te on eggs and selling them as free range in Glenroe. It was on BBC or ITV in the 60's .

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I remember The Roaring Twenties, seemed like it was only half-finished, might have had some potential if they spent a bit more time on it and didn't rush it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Soupy Norman.
    A Polish soap opera overdubbed by Mario Rosenstock.
    Gas craic it was.

Whoever in RTE commissioned that and let it go out on air is a legend. I can't imagine the description would pass the test in an RTE boardroom nowadays

• Advertisement

Yes, it was weird to see stalwarts like Eamon Morrrissey in it.. I seem to remember Jon Kenny singing a song about Tom And Nora (of the schoolbooks).
    Janet and John, actually

Warwick Davis was in it as the undertaker.
    Sean McGinley!
    Maria Doyle Kennedy!

Aha! I get an in. I give you:
    "Never Mind the Quality, Feel the Width".

Only quote I can remember from it is :"ah holy St Susan of Sallynoggin".

Featured Joe Lynch, long before he started putting sh!te on eggs and selling them as free range in Glenroe. It was on BBC or ITV in the 60's .

ITV.
    Featured the great John Bluthal, later Frank in Vicar of Dibley, but one of the greatest comic actors ever. Worked with Milligan a lot, on Q. Also in Superman 3 as pisa vendor, the 5th Element and Hail, Caesar! Had a long, globetrotting career.

Lynch seemed to constantly ref Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown in his stuff. In the special of Chorlton and the Wheelies, he mentions Doon Layoragh for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

There was a comedy on RTE in the 90s called Finbar's Class (or something like that). Think it might have even got a second season. It was pretty dreadful though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

There was a good mockumentary that was on setanta about 12 years ago maybe. Main character was a simple lad in his twenties who supported/volunteered for what looked like a Leinster senior League side. He had the Brent delusions of grandeur thing going for it. Had several decent episodes before running out of steam. One series. Cannot remember the name of it but the Irish comedy that made me laugh the most in the last 20 years. Must try internet for help on the details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The same makers were behind both. Paths To Freedon was one of the funniest things RTE have done. Fergus Wedding came afterwards, I was a bit underwhelmed by it at the time, maybe was expecting to much after PTF.

pretty sure Fergus,S Wedding came first , both starred michael mcElhatton

Morgans wrote: »
    There was a good mockumentary that was on setanta about 12 years ago maybe. Main character was a simple lad in his twenties who supported/volunteered for what looked like a Leinster senior League side. He had the Brent delusions of grandeur thing going for it. Had several decent episodes before running out of steam. One series. Cannot remember the name of it but the Irish comedy that made me laugh the most in the last 20 years. Must try internet for help on the details.

Twas called Fran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭All in all

Trivia - about a quiz team.

Aoibhinn McGinnitty was in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

TG4 did C-U Burn which of you dont mind subtitles is really funny. There was just one series made but it's often been repeated.

They also showed a Mr Bean type silent comedy called Fear An Phoist which was just awful.
    They did a good one called Barney Bunion as well. About a private eye in Connemara.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    pretty sure Fergus,S Wedding came first , both starred michael mcElhatton

No Paths to Freedom was first. There was hype for Fergus's Wedding as a result. Late late chat show promo etc. After week 2, all hype was gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

No Paths to Freedom was first. There was hype for Fergus's Wedding as a result. Late late chat show promo etc. After week 2, all hype was gone.
    PTF had a full length film as well.
    I think I remember it doing quite well at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Shoelaces

The Roaring Twenties. I have never seen worse television.

Like Hillsborough and 9/11 had a child

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,174 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

All in all wrote: »

I enjoyed that one. Wasnt a pure sitcom as such more of a funny slice of life.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Would Podge & Rodge: A Scare At Bedtime count as a sitcom? It wasn't in the usual format of a sitcom but I used to find it hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

All in all wrote: »

I remember seeing a few minutes of that. The company that do a lot of the mass broadcasts were involved, so a lot of it was filmed in Maynooth where they're based. One of the character's houses was the showhouse in our estate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

That was Fran, there were two series of it

Shown on Setanta and then repeated on TV3

I liked it a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭The Mulk

I remember seeing a few minutes of that. The company that do a lot of the mass broadcasts were involved, so a lot of it was filmed in Maynooth where they're based. One of the character's houses was the showhouse in our estate.

I enjoyed that, the pub where the quiz was held was the Celbridge Manor bar(while it was closed for renovations).There were a few scenes filmed around the Main St. too. It was light enough, and the characters were good

The Mulk wrote: »
    I enjoyed that, the pub where the quiz was held was the Celbridge Manor bar(while it was closed for renovations).There were a few scenes filmed around the Main St. too. It was light enough, and the characters were good

The main guy, with the distinctive face. I seem to remember him having a cameo in Paths To Freedom as prisioner who has an altercation with Rats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭The Mulk

The main guy, with the distinctive face. I seem to remember him having a cameo in Paths To Freedom as prisioner who has an altercation with Rats.

David Pearse?
    His bio has him down as 'Strokes' in Spin the Bottle, so you're probably right.

Turns out Aisling Bea was in Trivia too, I can't remember her in it

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1720019/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I kinda want to see this now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Wasnt a comedy.

Wasn't anything TBF.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

What a totally depressing list of horsesh1t, for a country with a great sense of humor, you would have to wonder how this crap gets commissioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Wasnt a comedy.

I don't know... I watched it recently and there's a bit where Scobie Donohue dives into a canal to save an old lady in the big climax. And lands, in about 2 foot of water. I laughed a lot.

"Ya risked yur life dihhhvin into da waaher to save me mah Scobes"
    Heroic face "Ah shur stoppit, anyone wouldda done it"

I recall liking Sarah and Steve, though someone will probably tell me how terrible it was.

What a totally depressing list of horsesh1t, for a country with a great sense of humor, you would have to wonder how this crap gets commissioned?

It's something I've often wondered myself. How we just (mostly) never seem to master tv comedy in comparison to Britain. I think a lot of it had to do with the rigid censorship and Church control that was in place till recent decades. Any genuinely innovative comics had to go abroad, Dave Allen for example. The Btitish have a long tradition of satire. I think maybe our stringent libel laws might have a part in it too.

mloc123 wrote: »
    I kinda want to see this now

Wrote notes in a daze of shock and surprise.
    It begins with Ruth McCabe singing, " you ate all pies, you ate all the pies, you fat bastard, you ate all the pies."

They live in a freezing cold house with no electricity.
    There is a mix of Northern and South accents.
    Begins with mother's sixtieth birthday
    "hailstones - french bastards - testing stuff in the sea, burning sheep"
    Broangh Gallagher - too good for this. She was in Pulp fiction, you know.
    winter fuel is actually burning wooden furniture,
    A poor painting of the queen, "no happy queen but a glum virgin""the crying virgin"
    clash of acting styles - d'unbelievables don't do well in the background
    "Van morrison" is "grumpy bitch"
    The exteriors look older than 2000 - father ted-style cuts to burning sheep
    mother falling through the roof - Ruth McCabe proves herself extremely capable, despite given Mrs. Doyle schtick

Mother practices being dead, McCabe relishing her material too far, oversexed, too much gravitas, buried in chelsea home kit, away strip, keep the blue flag flying.
    Characters singing Ken Dodd's Tears- while virgin cries
    "in the end, i typed up on the screen - sent it electronically"
    warwick davis as undertaker, Basil Hodge
    Damien Kearney as postman
    deirdre o'kane
    alistair mcgowan as john motson
    Set in Tully McFadden.
    rita haill
    "asta sighvats"
    Bobby a schoolteacher - Deirdre o'Kane his mad ex

Illiterate Jon Kenny- "I never see the word bargain in the oxfam shop".
    pick up rocks, sulk the milk out
    "thousands starving in kilburn"

st. mungo's school for derelicts - "dear rita, been in love with the back of you head"
    Kennedy the gay son cries, "my vocal cords were black" - Billy Carter proves he is better - Jeffrey Holland quality
    "young man who grinds the poridge", "hair reminds of hairy boiling water, suffering from alopecia "

Deirdre O'Kane as a random assasin/spurned lover.
    "what's the use in being queer if nobody knows about it"
    Lost son, Nevan Finnegan as ludovic Kennedy- ludovic - mick hucknall's frigigng love bastard ("I thought he looked like Charlie Drake")
    hamish Mccoll and Sean Foley as the soldiers.

Damien Fitzgerald - the unseen 7th member, a footballer for Chelsea - "Damien's chelsea custards"
    "Oliver Mannion as mick maccattackney"
    "john brobbey as tennessee" - the black soldier.
    Jon Kenny's character John F started work wiping sweat off a blacksmith age six - they took the Janet and John books off the curriculm- there were no lesbians in them so they became outdated, so they have to go to Dublin to find a book in the series to educate John F.
    a dealer in dublin to get the book
    Eddie Nestor from the Real McCoy as an African, Naquila Mambembo
    Cast include Max Clifford-groomed Anglo-Irish pop teenybopper Declan Galbraith, Billy mulligan. Martin mulligan, Ciaran Owen, Liam Donaghy, Anthony O'Reilley
    leaving the sois cake -"can't bear putting on weight after i die"
    Shipping news is seen as a load of craic
    Fair City's Vivienne, Helen Norton as lollipop lady

Wrote notes in a daze of shock and surprise.
    It begins with Ruth McCabe singing, " you ate all pies, you ate all the pies, you fat bastard, you ate all the pies."

They live in a freezing cold house with no electricity.
    There is a mix of Northern and South accents.
    Begins with mother's sixtieth birthday
    "hailstones - french bastards - testing stuff in the sea, burning sheep"
    Broangh Gallagher - too good for this. She was in Pulp fiction, you know.
    winter fuel is actually burning wooden furniture,
    A poor painting of the queen, "no happy queen but a glum virgin""the crying virgin"
    clash of acting styles - d'unbelievables don't do well in the background
    "Van morrison" is "grumpy bitch"
    The exteriors look older than 2000 - father ted-style cuts to burning sheep
    mother falling through the roof - Ruth McCabe proves herself extremely capable, despite given Mrs. Doyle schtick

Mother practices being dead, McCabe relishing her material too far, oversexed, too much gravitas, buried in chelsea home kit, away strip, keep the blue flag flying.
    Characters singing Ken Dodd's Tears- while virgin cries
    "in the end, i typed up on the screen - sent it electronically"
    warwick davis as undertaker, Basil Hodge
    Damien Kearney as postman
    deirdre o'kane
    alistair mcgowan as john motson
    Set in Tully McFadden.
    rita haill
    "asta sighvats"
    Bobby a schoolteacher - Deirdre o'Kane his mad ex

Illiterate Jon Kenny- "I never see the word bargain in the oxfam shop".
    pick up rocks, sulk the milk out
    "thousands starving in kilburn"

st. mungo's school for derelicts - "dear rita, been in love with the back of you head"
    Kennedy the gay son cries, "my vocal cords were black" - Billy Carter proves he is better - Jeffrey Holland quality
    "young man who grinds the poridge", "hair reminds of hairy boiling water, suffering from alopecia "

Deirdre O'Kane as a random assasin/spurned lover.
    "what's the use in being queer if nobody knows about it"
    Lost son, Nevan Finnegan as ludovic Kennedy- ludovic - mick hucknall's frigigng love bastard ("I thought he looked like Charlie Drake")
    hamish Mccoll and Sean Foley as the soldiers.

Damien Fitzgerald - the unseen 7th member, a footballer for Chelsea - "Damien's chelsea custards"
    "Oliver Mannion as mick maccattackney"
    "john brobbey as tennessee" - the black soldier.
    Jon Kenny's character John F started work wiping sweat off a blacksmith age six - they took the Janet and John books off the curriculm- there were no lesbians in them so they became outdated, so they have to go to Dublin to find a book in the series to educate John F.
    a dealer in dublin to get the book
    Eddie Nestor from the Real McCoy as an African, Naquila Mambembo
    Cast include Max Clifford-groomed Anglo-Irish pop teenybopper Declan Galbraith, Billy mulligan. Martin mulligan, Ciaran Owen, Liam Donaghy, Anthony O'Reilley
    leaving the sois cake -"can't bear putting on weight after i die"
    Shipping news is seen as a load of craic
    Fair City's Vivienne, Helen Norton as lollipop lady

I'd managed to forget most of that in the twenty years since I'd seen it , thanks for the bad memories lol. Didn't the gay son get off with the black soldier while both dressed in animal costumes?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

There was a comedy on RTE in the 90s called Finbar's Class (or something like that). Think it might have even got a second season. It was pretty dreadful though.

Friend of mine was in that (despite being in his mid twenties played some sort of 'cool schoolkid' guy who drove around in a convertible,) we still slag him off over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Cienciano wrote: »
    Whoever in RTE commissioned that and let it go out on air is a legend. I can't imagine the description would pass the test in an RTE boardroom nowadays

It may have been one of the accountants as there was little to no production costs. Sure stick it on pure late be grand.

I'd managed to forget most of that in the twenty years since I'd seen it , thanks for the bad memories lol. Didn't the gay son get off with the black soldier while both dressed in animal costumes?
    Yeah.
    Sorry for the misspellings. I watched it in a state of WTF.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

The Mulk wrote: »
    David Pearse?
    His bio has him down as 'Strokes' in Spin the Bottle, so you're probably right.

Turns out Aisling Bea was in Trivia too, I can't remember her in it

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1720019/
    He was in Vikings as well , he gets a lot of work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭WhenPigsCry

There was a sitcom 10 years' ago about a load of people living in a houseshare in Rathmines or something called 'The Roaring Twenties' - apparently it wasn't very good. Anyway, there was some online discussion (on Boards, maybe?) that was generally slating it; one of the producers jumped in and got involved in loads of name-calling with the other posters - very unedifying.

Unlike so much awful RTE output of yesteryear, this one has been preserved for public consumption by Youtube.

• Advertisement
Advertisement