Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Average salary at €47,000

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

dinorebel wrote: »
    This is Boards average salary here is about 80k if people are to be believed.

If they are all Dublin based I could well believe that would be the average earning. Outside Dublin I doubt it is that high. Wages are booming as far as I can tell. Of course that's amongst companions of mine

endacl wrote: »
    Does enjoying it necessarily equate to the accumulation of ‘stuff’ though? I drive a 15 year old car, because I like it. If I go out, I like to go for 3-4 pints. If my income was halved, that wouldn’t change. Likewise, if it doubled.

To me yes, there are plenty of things I don’t have purely because I’m not in a position to afford them. Once the money is available they will be bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭2 fast

Isn't it fair to increase the higher tax bracket above this?

On what planet is the average salary 47k!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 MichaelKnee

2 fast wrote: »
    On what planet is the average salary 47k!

The CSO statistics. Median is 37k.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I was only looking at the Living Wage document tonight, and I was going to start a thread about it, but it'll fit in here.

€47k average and €37k median. According to that crowd, the living wage should be €25198.24 for One Adult, Employed Full-Time. Living alone, no dependents. In that document, I noticed some very wrong suggestions, for me at least:

Insurance (health): €9.71 per week, mine is €18.75 pw.
    Insurance (car): €7.52 pw (€392 per year), mine is €21.67 pw.
    Communications: €9.20 pw (I'd imagine this is phone/internet), mine is €15 pw (just fibre 150 (lowest) and €20 pm topup)
    Housing: €91.96 pw (which I'm guessing is rent), which is sub €400 per month. Who can get rent by themselves for that?

That's just some examples, and it shows how incorrect it can be. Maybe there are some out there, but it looks like they picked the lowest figure for each category and went with that, regardless of the actual cost of things. Then again, the research and calculations were done by Vincentian Partnership for Social Justice, so not sure how much I trust a church run organisation...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Housing: €91.96 pw (which I'm guessing is rent), which is sub €400 per month. Who can get rent by themselves for that? .

And this also excludes things like bills. My "housing cost" is bacially €500 per week. That's for rent, electricity and gas. No other bills included in that. For me, you'd need at least €36k into your pocket to live etc in Dublin

Living alone is not something that should be considered part of the living wage, share or live at home if possible but you don’t need to live alone to be considered “living”.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,179 ✭✭✭✭noodler

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Antares35 wrote: »
    Yes let's punish people for educating themselves and working hard to get ahead.

Otherwise known as "fairness and equality"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭tastyt

People on boards think the average person in Ireland works in IT or high finance roles.

Delusional and out of touch with the real world.

Or maybe just smug and self satisfied and enjoy letting everyone know how much they earn .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

47 grand is not the average salary in this country. Not even bloody close.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Tony EH wrote: »
    47 grand is not the average salary in this country. Not even bloody close.

What is it?

Oranage2 wrote: »
    What is it?

It's in the 30's somewhere. It's certainly not 47,000 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Zebra3 wrote: »
    People get hung up on tax that they pay but what's equally as important is the services that we get back.

I'd gladly pay higher personal tax to have public services on par with Scandinavian countries.

It's not all about an extra tenner in your back pocket.

Until we sort the waste and corruption in public services you'd be as well just burn the money. Accountability has to be enforced. We spend more per head than many others but don't get half the return.

35 k median, 21 k disposable income.

Are you saying the people doing the stats are lying as the figures show that it’s 47k.

DellyBelly wrote: »
    If they are all Dublin based I could well believe that would be the average earning. Outside Dublin I doubt it is that high. Wages are booming as far as I can tell. Of course that's amongst companions of mine

Can't see it, Dublin has more service industry jobs than anything eels, minimum wage or a Euro or so above it,

Are you saying the people doing the stats are lying as the figures show that it’s 47k.

I'm saying I don't buy it.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    the working poor here are hit by the FIFTY percent marginal rate. No water charges, as good as no LPT, low income earners paying in nearly nothing, in terms of tax take. Its a farce, basically hit the mid to high income workers (other than corporation tax) to pay for everything. Its ok though, they only make up 20-25% of the electorate, likely less, so we can still give them a **** deal and buy off ther majority :rolleyes:

Also people saying "raise the rate" from FIFTY percent over low income are fools, who have no idea how things work. I have people turning down extra hours at E35 hour, because of the marginal rate! Who wins in that case!

Overtime isn't worth the bother if you r E35 is less than normal rate in reality after tax. Gift vouchers or extra holidays is a better option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

More likely that the poster doesn’t understand the difference between average and median.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,179 ✭✭✭✭noodler

CSO.

More likely that the poster doesn’t understand the difference between average and median.

That poster does understand the difference.

That poster just doesn't buy the result offered. It simply doesn't sound right.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Living alone is not something that should be considered part of the living wage, share or live at home if possible but you don’t need to live alone to be considered “living”.

But how else do we see how much a single person 'needs' to be able to live by themselves in their own place? I'm single and would love a place of my own, but I'm on €37k and while I'm sure I could find a crappy little bedsit for €1k a month, I'd have nothing left to enjoy my life with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I own a few apartments in the Ringsend area. I only rent to Italians as they are they wonderful tenants. They all work in tech, and the average salary would be closer to 90k that 47k.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

But how else do we see how much a single person 'needs' to be able to live by themselves in their own place? I'm single and would love a place of my own, but I'm on €37k and while I'm sure I could find a crappy little bedsit for €1k a month, I'd have nothing left to enjoy my life with.

I live alone in a 2 bed room apartment. I have kids. I can't rent with someone else, as I have kids. I pretty much have to live on my own, so my kids have somewhere safe to stay.

There are so many nuances to things, and that's the problem. Salary - Rent + Bills + Stuff for the kids = no money for myself. I'd love an extra €200 a month from tax relief. Doesn't sound like much, but that would give me the ability to actually live my life a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

What??? So living alone means you share with others or live at home??

What world are you living in where all single people do this? Or should have to??

Are you trying to suggest that living alone is not something anyone should aspire to, everyone should aim to be married for life??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

antodeco wrote: »
    I live alone in a 2 bed room apartment. I have kids. I can't rent with someone else, as I have kids. I pretty much have to live on my own, so my kids have somewhere safe to stayt
    But your not living alone if you live with your kids:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    But your not living alone if you live with your kids:confused:

Maybe the kids come over and stay at the weekends.

pinkyeye wrote: »
    What??? So living alone means you share with others or live at home??

What world are you living in where all single people do this? Or should have to??

Are you trying to suggest that living alone is not something anyone should aspire to, everyone should aim to be married for life??

Of course you should aspire to having your own home but this is a discussion on the living wage. A concept that is defined as what is needed to meet the most basic needs of living. Living alone for a single person is not a basic need.

The vast majority of people either live at home or share until they earn enough to buy or rent their own place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Zebra3 wrote: »
    People get hung up on tax that they pay but what's equally as important is the services that we get back.

I'd gladly pay higher personal tax to have public services on par with Scandinavian countries.

It's not all about an extra tenner in your back pocket.

It's funny that you'd never hear that from anyone on a low income that is barely paying any tax at all.
    SF are proposing to cut USC for under 30k earners. Do those people not want to have Scandanavian style services?

Advertisement