Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Happy Bloomsday

• 16-06-2018 7:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Have read it twice (it improves on a second reading)
    And dress up every year for events!
    (But not going to anything today because of family engagements.)

Who else has got a Bloomsday hat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    Along with the Barry town trilogy of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

Patww79 wrote: »
    What exactly is bloomsday? I thought it was something to do with the gardening thing in the phoenix park.

The significance of the date is that it was the actual date on which Nora first gave James joyce a hand job. The celebrations are actually commentating the first time Joyce blew his load with a woman and didn't have to pay for it with a prostitute. Good man Joyce, always poking fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

I read joyce in school. I thought it was all **** then.

Then in my 30s I decided to give Ulysses a 2nd read. It was still ****.

Joyce is an overrated con artist although his fondness for hookers means he can't have been all bad.

paw patrol wrote: »

Then in my 30s I decided to give Ulysses a 2nd read. It was still ****.

Joyce is an overrated con artist although his fondness for hookers means he can't have been all bad.

Not only was his writing experimental, with a mastery over the use of language and unmatched knowledge of linguistics, his vision of the human condition and understanding of consciousness was far ahead of his time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Yes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulysses_(1967_film)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Happy David Norris Day I think you mean.

Load of old Coddle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Dubliners was a good read tried reading this but gave up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Load of old Coddle

We dodged a bullet there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,255 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

A-wan Sharden

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭SnazzyPig

Load of old Coddle

David Norris.

'nuff said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭mick malones mauser

Anybody who mentions that Charlatan Roddy Doyle in a conversation about James Joyce deserves to be shot or at the very least deported to Australia on an old style convict ship.

Jimmy Joyce, the guy who would write a sentence in 3,687 words when 8 words would suffice. What a verbose bollocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

zapitastas wrote: »
    Not only was his writing experimental, with a mastery over the use of language and unmatched knowledge of linguistics, his vision of the human condition and understanding of consciousness was far ahead of his time.

of course if you say so.

In other words , I'm too thick to get it...thanks :rolleyes:

But if being thick means I'm poles apart from pompous fcuks like David Norris then I'm ok with that.

No one is " too thick " to understand Joyce and no one should ever use Joyce for any sort of oneupmanship.
    If it's not your cup of tea...well its not your cup of tea.
    However its also unfair of those who havent enjoyed Joyce to dismiss him as over rated etc etc

of course if you say so.

In other words , I'm too thick to get it...thanks :rolleyes:

But if being thick means I'm poles apart from pompous fcuks like David Norris then I'm ok with that.

Not at all, where was the implication that you were too thick to understand Joyce. I simply stated a couple of his strengths, there is no doubt that the man was far ahead of his time. There are unabridged readings of the book available and are well worth a listen before dismissing the work. The best way to appreciate the genius of ulysees is to read some of the accompanying studies on it while going through the chapters. Later readthroughts will benefit no end

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Joe Dog

Not at all, where was the implication that you were too thick to understand Joyce. I simply stated a couple of his strengths, there is no doubt that the man was far ahead of his time. There are unabridged readings of the book available and are well worth a listen before dismissing the work. The best way to appreciate the genius of ulysees is to read some of the accompanying studies on it while going through the chapters. Later readthroughts will benefit no end

Sounds like an awful lot of work to go through just to read a book.

Most people don't put that much effort into their jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Unmatched knowledge of linguitics? What does that mean? Surely linguists have and had a better grasp, unless you mean something else.

What did he realise or understand about consciousness that was new or advanced?

Note, I'm not sceptical, it's just I often see these things stated but never get a clear picture of their content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,525 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Joe Dog wrote: »

Most people don't put that much effort into their jobs.

Will watch the movie, aint nobody got no time for all that reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Will watch the movie, aint nobody got no time for all that reading.

Reading shouldn't necessarily be seen as time spent but as allowing yourself the time to relax and nourish your brain.

It's very beneficial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I attempted to read it

- absolute and utter drivel.

DRIVEL

It's far from drivel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Jimmy Joyce, the guy who would write a sentence in 3,687 words when 8 words would suffice. What a verbose bollocks.

Cant have writers being verbose. Why can't they just knock out pamphlets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Some of the replies on this thread are very revealing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

People have become accustomed to expecting a straightforward 'story' on picking up a book.

Language for language sake is not digestible by the masses.

I liked his style but about a third of the way through I realised life is short and packed it in.

Dubliners is a much more accessible collection of short stories. Portrait of the Artist hasn't aged well and is more a historical document.

I haven't tried Finnegan's Wake but I believe it is more 'out there' than Ulysses.

Finnegans wake is the one I'm going to try and read this year. I bought a few commantaries as I doubt I'd understand all the references by myself.

I've read that quite a few times, but he himself said it was his masterpiece didn't he?

A pity then that it is discussed so little.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Load of old Coddle
    What a verbose bollocks.
    Joe Dog wrote: »

- absolute and utter drivel.

DRIVEL

The AH Review of Books :pac:

• Advertisement

Ulysses really isn’t that difficult to read, a myth has built up around it that it is some form literary marathon and simply finishing it is an achievement in itself.

The book is broken up into sections but these are not marked in the book. Once you highlight where these parts start and end it’s pretty straight forward.

The difficulty really stems from whether you find what you’re reading boring or not but if boredom were equated with difficulty people like Banville, Enright, Tóibín, and other such serious boredom merchants wouldn’t be selling as they do.

Yes, the book does shift style throughout and it get a little Finnegan’s Wake-y towards the end but you can still decipher what’s going on.

Joyce’s shock at negative opinions on Finnegan’s Wake is baffling really, he put out something that is the literary equivalent of The Beatles’ Revolution 9.

Your Face wrote: »
    Some of the replies on this thread are very revealing.

?

What I am an uneducated fool cos I didn't like it ?

Anway, I was very young, I have always wanted to give it another chance now that my tastes have changed - but really amn't looking forward to it .

Actually yeah my Dad was telling me years back that to get the most out of it, one needs a guide ..

Coddle has been mentioned as well. How humans would want to eat pigswill is a bit of a mystery...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

I've read Dubliners, which is an excellent collection of short stories and I have Ulysses at home on a shelf, I managed about 30 pages before giving up. It's always been one I've been meaning to return to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

And the ROCK series!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

These are actually the blurbs from the paperback edition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Anybody who mentions that Charlatan Roddy Doyle in a conversation about James Joyce deserves to be shot or at the very least deported to Australia on an old style convict ship.

Roddy Doyle is one of the best writers Ireland has produced; an absolutely blinding rendition of some various aspects of working class life in urban Ireland. The Woman Who Walked into Doors, Barrytown Trilogy - magnificent stuff.

I've never read Joyce, and I'm not sh*tting on him, but Doyle shouldn't be denigrated.

FTA69 wrote: »
    Roddy Doyle is one of the best writers Ireland has produced; an absolutely blinding rendition of some various aspects of working class life in urban Ireland. The Woman Who Walked into Doors, Barrytown Trilogy - magnificent stuff.

I've never read Joyce, and I'm not sh*tting on him, but Doyle shouldn't be denigrated.

At least Roddy Doyle is entertaining; and so is Joyce, believe it or not: - though that Stephen Dedalus is a dismally tedious character in my educated opinion.
    Some poster above mentioned the likes of Banville, Toibín, and McGahern that really insert the iron of boredom into the soul: Oh how I agree! -- wearisome pessimism from beginning to end. They may write in plain sentences but plain is not everything; inspiration, humour, and insight are what adds the sparkle to the wine.
    I've coped with Ulysses, ho-hum on Dubliners and Portrait of that Artist: failed on Finnegan's Wake, and just brokenly beg to be delivered from the likes of John McGahern. And as for Angela's bleedin' Ashes! Save me, chop a limb off, anything to be rescued from such a fεkkin depressing book. :-)

Omg
    Did someone mention Roddy Feckin Doyle again.
    Honestly !! "One of the best writers we have produced "
    No he isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Virtually everything I have ever heard from Roddy Doyle make me less likely to read his work. He seems like a very obnoxious man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Day Lewin wrote: »
    And as for Angela's bleedin' Ashes! Save me, chop a limb off, anything to be rescued from such a fεkkin depressing book. :-)

A hilarious take on the absurdity of deprivation and a beaten society's tolerance of it. Reread and appreciate.

Speaking of prizewinning Irish authors... anyone here tried Solar Bones?

• Advertisement
Advertisement