Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Error 53

• 05-02-2016 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭

Not content with stopping you from using the software you want to with their devices, Apple have now locked people out of their own phones.
    It seems that if you have had work done on an iPhone 6/s/turbo sport by a non authorised apple repairer, then updating to iOS 9 will brick your device.
    And apple will do nothing about it.

What a bunch of uber cnuts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Clem H Fandango

Eh, if you checked your facts, it's to stop unauthorised 3rd parties from stealing your fingerprint info and using it to access your personal files or use it to buy stuff using whatever credit card you have on file or install a fake finger print reader and get your details through that. If you go to some dodgy back street dealer to fix your phone, then tough.
    But don't let the facts hinder your ill-informed hissy fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Eh, if you checked your facts, it's to stop unauthorised 3rd parties from stealing your fingerprint info and using it to access your personal files or use it to buy stuff using whatever credit card you have on file or install a fake finger print reader and get your details through that. If you go to some dodgy back street dealer to fix your phone, then tough.

Tell that to the people whose phone has been turned into a paperweight.

Don't let your fanboyism get in the way of a couple of hundred thousand people feeling slightly peeved that their 700 euro phone no longer works.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Clem H Fandango

Don't let your fanboyism get in the way of a couple of hundred thousand people feeling slightly peeved that their 700 euro phone no longer works.

Don't agree with you so that makes me a fanboy, good man. You'd be whinging if someone bought a bunch of stuff using your stolen finger print and blaming apple for being thieves so it's a lose lose situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭cml387

Repeat after me .

Apple are great.
    Apple can do no wrong.
    All praise the Apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

Don't agree with you so that makes me a fanboy, good man. You'd be whinging if someone bought a bunch of stuff using your stolen finger print and blaming apple for being thieves so it's a lose lose situation.

Bollocks is it. If your details got stolen by someone who worked on your phone then it'd be your fault. If Apple steal the functionality of your phone to get a monopoly on fixing iDevices it's theirs.

• Advertisement

No, no I wouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

700 quid for a phone?

Probably used to being screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Once again Android fans get OUTRAGED!! about a phone they would never use. It's sad sackary of the highest order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Once again Android fans get OUTRAGED!! about a phone they would never use. It's sad sackary of the highest order.

Android fans? Wtf? Is that even a thing? Do they have a website or a clubhouse or what?

• Advertisement

Android fans? Wtf? Is that even a thing? Do they have a website or a clubhouse or what?

We all meet up in the national aquatic centre on the 3rd of every month. You should come sometime . its mad craic.

They have a forum. Many in fact.

They keep starting threads on iPhones. Sad group.

As for what Apple are doing here. Error 53 could do with a bit more explanation but given that the touchID protects the phone, Apple Pay (and thus your bank account), and other apps including banking apps this precaution is justified, and well done to them.

Google probably just hand all fingerprint data to the NSA and a few million advertisers.

We all meet up in the national aquatic centre on the 3rd of every month. You should come sometime . its mad craic.

You all meet up in mammys basement.

Of course there are normal android users. They buy cheap android devices and don't give a sh1t about other phones.

Then there are the anti-Apple obsessives, saddest group of losers on gods green earth.

People are very touchy about the brand of phone they and other people have aren't they?

It's hilariously pathetic.

God. I love having an Android phone.

God. I love having an Android phone.

It's a brotherhood.

They're just better phones -shrugs-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Jesus, is there still apple v android debates? It's a poxy phone, they're all the poxy same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Posted from Windows Phone

Do miss some of my Android Apps though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I hope this will be another nail in the coffin of Steve Jobs.
    But if people can take the debacle that is iTunes I guess they'll take anything..

• Advertisement

People are very touchy about the brand of phone they and other people have aren't they?

It's hilariously pathetic.

Unfortunately it is the doom of homo sapiens to divide into camps over anything (men of course).

Rangers v Celtic
    Apple v Whatever
    Munster v Leinster
    Snow v No Snow (see weather forum)
    Airbus v Boeing (oh yes, believe me)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

cml387 wrote: »
    Unfortunately it is the doom of homo sapiens to divide into camps over anything (men of course).

Rangers v Celtic
    Apple v Whatever
    Munster v Leinster

Not just men!

Spit vs Swallow
    diagonal vs horizontal cut sandwiches
    Etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

biko wrote: »
    I hope this will be another nail in the coffin of Steve Jobs.
    But if people can take the debacle that is iTunes I guess they'll take anything..

Bit distasteful the man is dead I'm sure he had nothing to do with this

Senna wrote: »
    Not just men!

Spit vs Swallow
    diagonal vs horizontal cut sandwiches
    Etc

Senna v Prost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Philips v Tefal

You all meet up in mammys basement.

Of course there are normal android users. They buy cheap android devices and don't give a sh1t about other phones.

Then there are the anti-Apple obsessives, saddest group of losers on gods green earth.

2nd saddest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Playstation V. XPOX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Senna v Prost
    Philips v Tefal
    Playstation V. XPOX

Zig v Zag.

I never have anything important enough on my phone to warrant a finger print.. An awful lot of people don't. So the excuse that this is to protect users from malicious tampering is ridiculous.

Just go back to the passcode if bricking 700euro devices is considered responsible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Rangers v Celtic
    Apple v Whatever
    Munster v Leinster

Dreamliner all the way.

A380 is just a ****ing cattle truck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Tell you what, if this does not damage their brand loyalty then nothing will. Hell of a way to treat your customers.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35502030

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Tell you what, if this does not damage their brand loyalty then nothing will. Hell of a way to treat your customers.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35502030

What if I buy a replacement screen online and want to fix my my phone screen myself ?

I would never buy an apple product ever. I have in the past but the way Android has come on in years I dont know why anyone would buy an Iphone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Cyanogen Mod FTW :D :P

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Cyanogen Mod FTW :D :P

Yeah! I don't know how people don't like having freedom over their phone and be allowed do what they want to it, after they spend so much freaking money on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Birneybau wrote: »
    Zig v Zag.
    No, just no. It has to be Zig and Zag they're a team. Anything else would just be incomplete. Either on their own would be like having Batman without Robin, the Lone Ranger without Tonto or the Blues Brother - it just wouldn't be the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

Think this issue was the same for iphone 5 no? but if the fingerprint wasn't working you just add to key in your password instead.

This time around they lock you out completely with no option of entering your details and just disabling the touchID.
    id be furious!

Reading into on Reddit, an Apple service rep was told to recommend third party repair venders to customers, which he did, to thousands of them! a lot of countries don't have official Apple repair shops so they have no choice to but to go to third party venders

Still better than having to use android.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

:pac::pac::pac:

Now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Any other company in the world would be lambasted for this. Apple has people falling over themselves to defend it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Without a warning that this could happen or a way to override it without paying for a full replacement, I'm afraid this is just a BS excuse from Apple. I'm a loyal Apple customer and I for one am not going to defend this, it's absolute bullsh!t and I hope Apple face a serious backlash because of it.

Have you ever actually used one?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Have you ever actually used one?

Part of my job is to decide what devices find their way into different users hands.

If I'm looking for something un****uppable and easily understandable, I'll go for iPhone every single time. They're in the Nokia space, and just like nokia there's plenty of alternatives I'd recommend to people who don't NEED simple (remember the sony Ericsson K750i and k800i? Savage phones! ). Experience bears out over and over again that this is the right choice (you'd be amazed the ways people manage to find new and interesting ways to mess their phones up and then hide how they did it).

I use an android, and would recommend one every time for someone who knows what they're doing and enjoys fiddling with the device to optimise it for their use!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

Birneybau wrote: »
    Zig v Zag.

Heinz vs. Chef

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭PC Lackey

Tell that to the people whose phone has been turned into a paperweight.

Its for the good of the collective.

Some must die so that the cause can live on.

Jobs would approve.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Lots of gobsh1tes making easy money buying knock-off screens on eBay and the likes for €10 and charging €100 will lose alot of money. Xbox and Playstation have both being doing similar things for several years. I see nothing wrong with it.

I never had to have any of my iPhones repaired but around a year ago I tried to persuade a friend of mine to send her iPhone 5s back to Apple for a screen change after she cracked the glass, instead she got some local lad to change the glass and he kept her phone over a week and was almost as expensive. I guess she will have to send it back now for an authorized repair.

I would always reccomend sending back the phone to Apple for repairs if it was necessary as I upgrade on a 2 year cycle and my phone always is within warranty, at least you'd have comeback as alot of these "Phone Repair Shops" are fly by night operations often run by foreigners which don't seem to last very long and I have seen several to open and subsequently close locally in the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

staff told him there was nothing they could do, and that his phone was now junk. He had to pay £270 for a replacement and is furious.
    Lol, he's pissed off, yet hands over another £270 straight away.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Apple have been doing this forever, it's nothing new that they want to contain repairs and alterations of their devices/hardware to themselves.
    They even have their own type of screw they use, this dates back to the iMac I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Apple have been doing this forever, it's nothing new that they want to contain repairs and alterations of their devices/hardware to themselves.
    They even have their own type of screw they use, this dates back to the iMac I believe.
    Isn't that the problem. Having paid for it, isn't it supposed to be yours?

• Advertisement
Advertisement