Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Error 53

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Tell you what, if this does not damage their brand loyalty then nothing will. Hell of a way to treat your customers.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35502030

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Tell you what, if this does not damage their brand loyalty then nothing will. Hell of a way to treat your customers.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35502030

Don't agree with you so that makes me a fanboy, good man. You'd be whinging if someone bought a bunch of stuff using your stolen finger print and blaming apple for being thieves so it's a lose lose situation.

What if I buy a replacement screen online and want to fix my my phone screen myself ?

I would never buy an apple product ever. I have in the past but the way Android has come on in years I dont know why anyone would buy an Iphone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Cyanogen Mod FTW :D :P

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Cyanogen Mod FTW :D :P

Yeah! I don't know how people don't like having freedom over their phone and be allowed do what they want to it, after they spend so much freaking money on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Birneybau wrote: »
    Zig v Zag.
    No, just no. It has to be Zig and Zag they're a team. Anything else would just be incomplete. Either on their own would be like having Batman without Robin, the Lone Ranger without Tonto or the Blues Brother - it just wouldn't be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭KilOit

Think this issue was the same for iphone 5 no? but if the fingerprint wasn't working you just add to key in your password instead.

This time around they lock you out completely with no option of entering your details and just disabling the touchID.
    id be furious!

Reading into on Reddit, an Apple service rep was told to recommend third party repair venders to customers, which he did, to thousands of them! a lot of countries don't have official Apple repair shops so they have no choice to but to go to third party venders

Still better than having to use android.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Any other company in the world would be lambasted for this. Apple has people falling over themselves to defend it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Eh, if you checked your facts, it's to stop unauthorised 3rd parties from stealing your fingerprint info and using it to access your personal files or use it to buy stuff using whatever credit card you have on file or install a fake finger print reader and get your details through that. If you go to some dodgy back street dealer to fix your phone, then tough.
    But don't let the facts hinder your ill-informed hissy fit.

Without a warning that this could happen or a way to override it without paying for a full replacement, I'm afraid this is just a BS excuse from Apple. I'm a loyal Apple customer and I for one am not going to defend this, it's absolute bullsh!t and I hope Apple face a serious backlash because of it.

Have you ever actually used one?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Have you ever actually used one?

Part of my job is to decide what devices find their way into different users hands.

If I'm looking for something un****uppable and easily understandable, I'll go for iPhone every single time. They're in the Nokia space, and just like nokia there's plenty of alternatives I'd recommend to people who don't NEED simple (remember the sony Ericsson K750i and k800i? Savage phones! ). Experience bears out over and over again that this is the right choice (you'd be amazed the ways people manage to find new and interesting ways to mess their phones up and then hide how they did it).

I use an android, and would recommend one every time for someone who knows what they're doing and enjoys fiddling with the device to optimise it for their use!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

Birneybau wrote: »
    Zig v Zag.

Heinz vs. Chef

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭PC Lackey

Tell that to the people whose phone has been turned into a paperweight.

Don't let your fanboyism get in the way of a couple of hundred thousand people feeling slightly peeved that their 700 euro phone no longer works.

Its for the good of the collective.

Some must die so that the cause can live on.

Jobs would approve.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Lots of gobsh1tes making easy money buying knock-off screens on eBay and the likes for €10 and charging €100 will lose alot of money. Xbox and Playstation have both being doing similar things for several years. I see nothing wrong with it.

I never had to have any of my iPhones repaired but around a year ago I tried to persuade a friend of mine to send her iPhone 5s back to Apple for a screen change after she cracked the glass, instead she got some local lad to change the glass and he kept her phone over a week and was almost as expensive. I guess she will have to send it back now for an authorized repair.

I would always reccomend sending back the phone to Apple for repairs if it was necessary as I upgrade on a 2 year cycle and my phone always is within warranty, at least you'd have comeback as alot of these "Phone Repair Shops" are fly by night operations often run by foreigners which don't seem to last very long and I have seen several to open and subsequently close locally in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

staff told him there was nothing they could do, and that his phone was now junk. He had to pay £270 for a replacement and is furious.
    Lol, he's pissed off, yet hands over another £270 straight away.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Apple have been doing this forever, it's nothing new that they want to contain repairs and alterations of their devices/hardware to themselves.
    They even have their own type of screw they use, this dates back to the iMac I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Apple have been doing this forever, it's nothing new that they want to contain repairs and alterations of their devices/hardware to themselves.
    They even have their own type of screw they use, this dates back to the iMac I believe.
    Isn't that the problem. Having paid for it, isn't it supposed to be yours?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Stinicker wrote: »
    Lots of gobsh1tes making easy money buying knock-off screens on eBay and the likes for €10 and charging €100 will lose alot of money. Xbox and Playstation have both being doing similar things for several years. I see nothing wrong with it.

I never had to have any of my iPhones repaired but around a year ago I tried to persuade a friend of mine to send her iPhone 5s back to Apple for a screen change after she cracked the glass, instead she got some local lad to change the glass and he kept her phone over a week and was almost as expensive. I guess she will have to send it back now for an authorized repair.

I would always reccomend sending back the phone to Apple for repairs if it was necessary as I upgrade on a 2 year cycle and my phone always is within warranty, at least you'd have comeback as alot of these "Phone Repair Shops" are fly by night operations often run by foreigners which don't seem to last very long and I have seen several to open and subsequently close locally in the last few years.

Worth noting Apples warranty is only 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Boom_Bap wrote: »

It's called iShafting

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Falcon L wrote: »
    Isn't that the problem. Having paid for it, isn't it supposed to be yours?

But not in their eyes and they can control that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Speaking as a security guy i'm delighted this is a feature as others have said you can get your screen fixed by a third party, they just need to use the original touch ID sensor. Touch ID is just validating a thumbprint on its chip then OS only gets an "ok thats john" message.

Installing a third party sensor would allow someone to set themselves up on the phone, access your apple pay, passwords(my lastpass uses touch ID) and everything else. I see no wrong in protecting customer data, i'm sure there would a big **** storm if people could access your phone by swapping sensors
    pajero12 wrote: »
    Worth noting Apples warranty is only 12 months

It's 3 years as are all electronics bought in the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Doylers wrote: »
    Installing a third party sensor would allow someone to set themselves up on the phone, access your apple pay, passwords(my lastpass uses touch ID) and everything else. I see no wrong in protecting customer data, i'm sure there would a big **** storm if people could access your phone by swapping sensors.
    Surely that should be up to the person who actually purchased the phone. Apple could simply disable the touch ID part of the phone, forcing the user to rely on passwords, unless the user decided to reactivate the new sensor and accept any risk that goes along with that.

Bare in mind that these devices are apparently being disabled by the rolling out of a new software update. The bricking of the phones isn't intrinsic to the way the security is implemented on them, it is simply how Apple have chosen to operate. I'm okay with companies having a "warranty void if broken" sticker, but I'd be pretty pissed if they also included a sensor that made the device useless if it was opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Doylers wrote: »
    Speaking as a security guy i'm delighted this is a feature as others have said you can get your screen fixed by a third party, they just need to use the original touch ID sensor. Touch ID is just validating a thumbprint on its chip then OS only gets an "ok thats john" message.

Installing a third party sensor would allow someone to set themselves up on the phone, access your apple pay, passwords(my lastpass uses touch ID) and everything else. I see no wrong in protecting customer data, i'm sure there would a big **** storm if people could access your phone by swapping sensors

The problem is the way they did it. First issue I have is that there was no warning. Second issue I have is that if security is so important then after the TouchID gets tampered with, the error 53 should be triggered the next time it's rebooted or the next time it connects to Apple searching for updates. Why allow it to be used for months and months and allow the continued use of the apps and features they're now saying they're trying to protect, and only invoke the error 53 with a specific software update? Why not give the error as soon as possible to protect the phone if that's the purpose?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Certainly breaches EU rules that 3rd party repairs have to be allowed.

Like cars to retain warranty.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

cba looking it up but did the devices only become locked after an OS upgrade or was it when the touch was changed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭bronn

Is most of this centred around security issues and Apple Pay? At the moment, and as far as I know, no Irish bank is linked to Apple Pay. If someone took my phone and replaced the touch sensor, and cracked the PIN, then they get the usual crap stored on a phone but no bank card access.

I bet we're not the only country where there's no Apple Pay so why this sudden need to brick the phone "for security"? In countries where there is Apple Pay, have there been cases of stolen phones getting touch sensors replaced, PINs cracked and back details used? I'd say not and this is just sharp practice from Apple which forces people to use their repair service only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭bronn

Is most of this centred around security issues and Apple Pay? At the moment, and as far as I know, no Irish bank is linked to Apple Pay. If someone took my phone and replaced the touch sensor, and cracked the PIN, then they get the usual crap stored on a phone but no bank card access.

I bet we're not the only country where there's no Apple Pay so why this sudden need to brick the phone "for security"? In countries where there is Apple Pay, have there been cases of stolen phones getting touch sensors replaced, PINs cracked and back details used? I'd say not and this is just sharp practice from Apple which forces people to use their repair service only.

Advertisement