Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Smells that soothe and comfort you

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I like the smell of Christmas trees, cypress and lavender. I have a lavender pillow spray thing I use when I can't sleep sometimes. It always send me off to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭mojesius

The sea/ocean
    My baby's head
    Cookies in the oven
    Peat fires
    Suncream

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Anais Anais... the perfume of every 90s mother..
    Pipe tobacco .. my dad smoked a pipe
    Petrichor
    Freshly baked bread
    The smell from cars years ago in summer, kind of a musty dry smell.. I always associated it with holidays, the car sitting in the sun too long and no air conditioner to turn on when you got back into it
    Fresh sheets
    New books
    That cheap plastic smell that was on all toys, stationary, school bags etc when I was young... if I smell it now, it instantly takes me back to being a child, nostalgia overload..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Being a bit naughty as it’s a school night and it’s getting past my bedtime...

But do you have a “comfort” smell? An aroma that might remind you of a happy childhood, a really enjoyable holiday, a loving relationship or just a happy time in your life?

For me, some of the aromas include that of :-

Karvol (decongestant capsules)
    Badedas
    Freshly baked bread
    Petrol
    Fresh ground coffee (I hardly drink it, mind)
    Peppermint
    Sweet Pea
    Roses
    Freshly laundered sheets
    Christmas tree (real)

Sudocrem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Sunblock… it’s amazing how they get the smell of holidays into their product… how do they know what a beach in the canaries smells like? Isn’t science great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The smell of fresh burning Jet A-1 fuel coming from the engines of a Ryanair plane, signifies the start of a nice trip away.

Better if it’s Aer Lingus or anyone else :D ... but I hear ya... getting a taxi or a lift up by the airport and when that smell of jet A1 hits your nostrils as you drive up... it almost reprogramming your brain “ ok, any bad vibes and worries stay here, now is time for funnnn”

Paco Rabanne Original XS..... is regularly pick up a bottle up in the duty free, it was the first aftershave I bought and have always loved it, I picked it up in the airport too and it always reminds me of holidays and good times...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Fresh made hay - brings me right back to childhood saving the hay at my Granny's down the west, and riding home on the top of the hay on the horse-drawn cart
    Fresh cut grass
    Ground coffee
    Freshly cooked garlic
    The smell of the sea
    A turf fire (are we even allowed say that any more, never mind do it??)
    Permanent marker (not sure that one soothes or comforts me, but I was borderline addicted when I was a kid, and still love an auld sniff now and again! :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Lockheed

Light red wine. Fresh flower bouquets.

Vetiver colognes smell like my dads hugs. Ponds cream smells like my Grannys hugs. The smell of baby shampoo and of hand sanitizer reminds me of my two favorite chaps.

I love the smell of lavender, it's very soothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

The smell of old style roses. The ones that smell absolutely gorgeous especially when drenched in rain.
    The newer roses don't have the same perfume in my opinion.
    My late granny's house was full of flowers, vegetables and fruit trees and if I smell one of those roses, I'm straight back to her garden in my mind.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I'm don't smoke but there is a certain pipe tobacco that I sometimes smell that reminds me of my da

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Being able to smell the Jet A1 as I walk through security on to the Airport Ramp..

Dettol!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Opening a jar of chocolate spread, remove lid and breath in . . .

Ahhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

The smell of old style roses. The ones that smell absolutely gorgeous especially when drenched in rain.
    The newer roses don't have the same perfume in my opinion.
    My late granny's house was full of flowers, vegetables and fruit trees and if I smell one of those roses, I'm straight back to her garden in my mind.
    I went to the Islandbridge war memorial gardens a couple of years ago in mid summer and the place was ablaze with dozens of varieties of roses. I couldn't resist smelling as many as I could! Anyone who saw me must have thought I was barking mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

conor_ie wrote: »
    Being able to smell the Jet A1 as I walk through security on to the Airport Ramp..

Dettol!

I usually return to Ireland by ship so the smell of a dirty port is the same for me!

I do love that Dublin Airport ramp smell though, that smell instantly triggers the 'text the father, let him know when you'll meet him at departures, check pockets for passport'

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭new92

Honeysuckle
    Patchouli
    Coffee
    Cinnamon
    Nutmeg
    Petrol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

The salt air coming from the sea
    Freshly cut grass
    The aroma of beef roasting in the oven in my parent's kitchen
    The smell of fresh flowers and cow dung in the air when out of a cycle in the countryside :)

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

red carbolic soap
    cut timber, pine and cedar especially
    a horrible smell is turkey intestines but it has a very specific positive memory for me
    petrol lawnmowers and chainsaws etc
    jeyes fluid
    my mums freshly baked bread

Woodsmoke.
    The side of my husbands neck.
    Sometimes these coincide, which is not great.

I keep a big collection of aromatherapy oils, I always come back to lavender (for soothing to sleep). He of the fragrant neck calls it granny juice :(

The smell of a brand new clean textbook for school used to love that. It was the smell of potential before the long downward spiral.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Warm summer air
    Fresh cut grass
    Magic Tree 'New car Scent' always reminds me of my first car over 30 years ago, thankfully the smell hasn't changed in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

The smell of a pub. Nearys on Chatham St has the best "pub" smell, a little bit stale, a little bit mouldy, but my god do I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

The smell of a pub. Nearys on Chatham St has the best "pub" smell, a little bit stale, a little bit mouldy, but my god do I love it.

The stinky urinal smell mixed with stale Guinness from my old local pub in Limerick. It's not exactly pleasant but it smells like I'm back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Sandz066

Don't even know if you can get it anymore but..
    Dax Wax (blue tin).

My brother must have thought I was some weirdo smelling the tin but found it very soothing.

Also, Johnsons baby shampoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭pgj2015

shockwaves hair gel. reminds me of the times I used to head off to Dublin for gigs and getting ready to head out to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭boardlady

My husband's chest
    my dog when he's been sleeping and he a bit sweaty!
    cut grass
    coffee
    petrichor (new word for the day!)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

boardlady wrote: »
    My husband's chest

well thats a quirky one - can you elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Sage and gorse hands down.

Advertisement