Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

U2 Croke Park 2009 - all discussion, no ticket sales.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Stage looks awesome in the papers today, getting excited! Will the shape make it hard to see if youre on tiered seating though and youre looking down on it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Just checked out a few youtube vids from last nights show and it looks awesome.
    Most vids are of poor sound quality,one or two are decent.
    I reckon later on in the day we will see more crop up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 paul0623

looking forward to the gigs, goin fri/sat. but they need to lay of the politics its a bit much at times. any sign of bad been played on this tour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭JohnJericho

From looking at the Barcelona pics it appears that all four sides of the stadium are full. As far as i know Hill 16 wont be used in Dublin. Anybody else think it will look ridiculous with the 360 stage and the Hill completly empty.

Anybody know why they are not using the Hill while every other stadium in Europe they are touring in appears to be using their 4 stands as opposed to just the Cusack, Canal and Hogan in Dublin

safety would not allow standing on the hill 4 a gig.we dont have a stadium that big with 4 seated sides in this country. there is no need for the 360 stage in croker

paul0623 wrote: »
    there is no need for the 360 stage in croker

So what do you expect? to have a totally different stage for croker?
    The claw as some have christened it is THE STAGE for all the tour,all shows are massive outdoor arenas.

According to Dave Fanning on 2fm yesterday it takes 90 trucks to ship around, the second stage is being built in Belgium as we speak and a third will be constructed after that so as the tour evolves there will be 3 Claws with 90 trucks each on the road.
    Fanning also said the tour will possibly go on till late 2010,how true that is i dont know but fanning is usually on the ball with U2.

Lots of videos popping up now on youtube, heres the intro one from near the stage, man the thing is massive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS9Q4sVlYlM

and possibly my favourite U2 track live

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAJa-2IpoXU&feature=channel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭JohnJericho

Thats a load of ****e, only in Ireland would you get that. They have easily put seats on the Hill like they have done for many soccer internationals. It wouldn't suprise me if they have actually moved the stage down to the Canal End. Going to look an absolute joke with the Hill empty

stage will still be them same, bar a few changes to cover the hill been empthy.
    the tour is to go on next year,takein in south america, japan and oz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Could possibly be removed soon, cant wait to see them in croke park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Thats a load of ****e, only in Ireland would you get that. They have easily put seats on the Hill like they have done for many soccer internationals. It wouldn't suprise me if they have actually moved the stage down to the Canal End. Going to look an absolute joke with the Hill empty

It will look very odd indeed.
    I remember for the last tour the GAA wouldnt allow the stage to be built on the pitch so it had to be built on Hill 16.
    I suspect this isnt the case this time,otherwise it will be preposterous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

u2gigs.com has some unbelievably good footage from last night - very crisp. gonna be at croker and new york, cant wait...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

sorry if this has been asked before but who are the support acts for the gigs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

in ireland?

Fri - Glasvegas, Damien Dempsey
    Sat - Kaiser Chiefs, Repulic of Loose
    Mon - The Script, Bell X1

http://www.u2.com/tour/index/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭techman

Does anyone know which end the stage will be set up?

Hill 16 or Canal End?

According to the ticketmaster map of the stage in croker its the hill end.
    I think i recall a similar map on u2.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 vilno

This isn't really ticket sales but just to let people know that there's rumours that more tickets will go on sale for U2 in croker first thing in the morning from ticketmaster!

Sorry if its posted somewhere else!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

http://www.mcd.ie/home/fn.php?c=1779037&ar=u2&cat=all

A limited number of production seats for the sold out U2 360 concerts at Croke Park (subject to license) will go on sale this Monday 6th July at 9.00am sharp.

What are "production seats"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tommylacey

guys, any one got any idea what time U2 take to the stage on the monday--approx?--says doors open 6, show 630pm--i presume a support act is on first and that U2 will be on about 9pm????-am i right to assume this?--dont want to have to take the day off work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭techman

They'll be on sometime between 9pm and 9.30pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭qwytre

"Production seat tickets are for seats that only become available for release in the final days preceding the concert, when the venue can see how the stage design affects the seating plan. These can include seats very close the stage with excellent views."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Oh man this is going to be so unbelievably epic! CAN'T WAIT
    Monday 27th of July :D

Did anyone see what happened when they played "ONE" in Barcelona? Never seen U2 do anything like this before - at around 2:30

WARNING:DO NOT WATCH THIS IF YOU'RE ONE OF THE PEOPLE WHO'S TRYING TO KEEP THE WHOLE CONCERT DESIGN A SURPRISE FOR WHEN YOU GO AND SEE THEM!

-
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭martco

does anyone know the score with bringing kids? I have tickets for the Sat night, am bringing my U2 nuts lad to his first ever gig but now I'm wondering if its gonna be a problem- nothing printed on the tickets themselves, U2.com or ticketmaster that I can see, anyone know?

My 6 year old wanted to come but i wasnt sure either so didnt get him a ticket even though we are in the stands.
    How old is your boy?
    At the ACDC show in punchestown i saw a few 13-14 year olds with parents.
    Kind of made me think i should of got my little lad a ticket for the stands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭chezzer

When is the gig in Dublin ?
    in Barcelona Bone was talking with astronauts !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭romah

chezzer wrote: »
    When is the gig in Dublin ?
    in Barcelona Bone was talking with astronauts !!!

3 concerts in Croke Park Dublin

Friday 24th July
    Saturday 25th July
    Monday 27th July

I am going to Sat gig . will be my 4th time seeing them in Croke PArk

Cant wait :)

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭martco

he's 9 but big enough lad, well able for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Dcully wrote: »
    My 6 year old wanted to come but i wasnt sure either so didnt get him a ticket even though we are in the stands.
    How old is your boy?
    At the ACDC show in punchestown i saw a few 13-14 year olds with parents.
    Kind of made me think i should of got my little lad a ticket for the stands.

i saw younger than that, one girl with her mother was no more than 7 or 8 at ac/dc, right next to where all the moshing was going on too :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭Danye

qwytre wrote: »
    "Production seat tickets are for seats that only become available for release in the final days preceding the concert, when the venue can see how the stage design affects the seating plan. These can include seats very close the stage with excellent views."
    http://www.mcd.ie/home/fn.php?c=1779037&ar=u2&cat=all

A limited number of production seats for the sold out U2 360 concerts at Croke Park (subject to license) will go on sale this Monday 6th July at 9.00am sharp.

What are "production seats"?

Just wondering, is it just a matter of going to ticketmaster on monday and booking them? Or do you need to be a member of the U2 website or fanclub or something?? Thanks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

pretty annoyed to find out were only gettin 270 of the stage der is no reason why it cant be in the middle. the braca stadium width wise is smaller then croker no reason why it cant be in the middle FU*KIN GAA :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

For some reason i want to go to this gig...... i like their hits but i just hate the band cause i think bono is a idiot!!!!!! plus all the edge does is use effects... not the best player.... but i hear they do a good gig.....

does any one have any experience of their gig's and know if their up there on the must see list????

• Advertisement

For some reason i want to go to this gig...... i like their hits but i just hate the band cause i think bono is a idiot!!!!!! plus all the edge does is use effects... not the best player.... but i hear they do a good gig.....

does any one have any experience of their gig's and know if their up there on the must see list????

Just effects? Where do you get your information from?
    I couldnt give a toss if Bono is a dick or not,its the music i like,ive yet to see a better band live,and yes that includes the acdc concert last Sunday.
    I assure you whatever you think of Bono hes far from an idiot,maybe you should choose a more suitable tag :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭TheDemiurge

Just effects? Where do you get your information from?
    I couldnt give a toss if Bono is a dick or not,its the music i like,ive yet to see a better band live,and yes that includes the acdc concert last Sunday.
    I assure you whatever you think of Bono hes far from an idiot,maybe you should choose a more suitable tag :)

A gig is a communal shared experience; I've been to great gigs where the band wasn't my favourite at all.

No kidding, David Essex (was given two free tix and had nothing to do) was a stonking show.

Can't wait for the U2 gig - it will border on the shamanic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭ecom

but1er wrote: »
    pretty annoyed to find out were only gettin 270 of the stage der is no reason why it cant be in the middle. the braca stadium width wise is smaller then croker no reason why it cant be in the middle FU*KIN GAA :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

thing is though that when buying tickets we could clearly see where the stage was going to be. I bought my seating tickets based on the image that showed the stage up at the hill. would have been really annoyed if I found out it was gonna be in the middle of the stadium after buying the tickets that I did.

i presume that those in the Red Zone will be able to stand all around the stage??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

You made the Indo with your quote (censored version!)..

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/news-gossip/fury-as-u2-claws-back-90-degrees-from-360-tour-for-croke-park-gigs-1807382.html

Bill Bailey's u2 impression:P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSvEZdbBIyw

I just dont like bono because he goes on and on about all this save the world stuff.... its not that i dont think that we shouldnt help with third world problems.. he just thinks he's like a prophet...preaching the word and not shutting up...

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭mcauley

You're famous But1er! :cool:

Bill Bailey's u2 impression:P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSvEZdbBIyw

So you base your assumptions on a comedian? :rolleyes:

As for Bono, who gives a fcuk if hes a tosser or not?
    I know i dont.

So you base your assumptions on a comedian? :rolleyes:

As for Bono, who gives a fcuk if hes a tosser or not?
    I know i dont.

i thought he wasnt that good of a player before i saw that i just think its a good example of his effects:P.. if you compare him to others in top bands hes mainly effects.....

I think ill head there any way... 100 quid is a bit steep but if their all their hyped up to be live it will be worth it.... shame they didnt re-release standing:(

i thought he wasnt that good of a player before i saw that i just think its a good example of his effects:P.. if you compare him to others in top bands hes mainly effects.....

I think ill head there any way... 100 quid is a bit steep but if their all their hyped up to be live it will be worth it.... shame they didnt re-release standing:(

I saw edge play whiskey in the jar and ace of spades over the years and was every bit as good note for note as the origionals.
    Ive often seen him do extended soloes in songs like electric co,bullet the blue sky,gloria,out of control live.
    Ask anyone who has attended U2 shows regularly the edge often does long soloes in a live envoirnment,you just dont hear them on their chart hits which are usually catchy numbers suited to the radio.

U2 music is not about screeching solos,just because edge doesnt do them often on album or single tracks make him a poor guitar player [although he does a longish solo in unknown caller off new album]
    Also not all U2 tracks use "effects" as you put it.
    I seriously wonder how much U2 material you have listened to apart from the ones you heard on the radio.

I rate John Petrucci from Dream Theater as one of the best guitarists on the planet but 90% of his work just dosent sound good or nice to listen to , to me personally
    Technically its superb but i prefer to listen to guitar work that sounds good,not neccesssarily technically awesome.
    Edge does what suits the song which is an art in itself.
    A great guitar player does not have to be technically proficient.

shame they didnt re-release standing

Do you mean standing tickets for croke park? If so there are standing tickets.
    Tickets to the shows range from €30 to 130 although 3 shows are sold out, think some production tickets are on sale today,whatever they are, im guessing its to areas they have now that its U2 270 instead of 360 thanks to hill 16 :(
    Hope you enjoy the show, i knwo for a fact you will be amazed :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

Anyone know how I find out where I'll be sitting?? Just bought some of the production seats and it said blue area of Hogan Stand. This is what I got in the mail:

MID536, row E, seats 21-20

Tks all !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

33b1xzp.jpg

Looks like the tickets in the Premium Level. The diagram for the seating plan has the stand in the wrong position however. Not sure if they are good tickets or not though. Depends on where exactly they put the stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 yourm

its quite simple - the amount of people allowed into croke park is limited to 82,300. The railway end will not be opened so why bother putting the stage further up the pitch when no one will be there apart from the few hundred standing.

...and where exactly is braca?

clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PFL

Can't wait for this gig seen them last time at croke park and they we're amazing - we have tickets for the red zone and am counting the day's down. Only concern I'd have is the time restrictions - the videos from the opening night show the gig starting when it's dark and the full effects of the claw show seem to benefit better in the dark lights etc. This might be lost with the ****e rules of the gig finishing at a specific time.

Do you mean standing tickets for croke park? If so there are standing tickets.
    Tickets to the shows range from €30 to 130 although 3 shows are sold out, think some production tickets are on sale today,whatever they are, im guessing its to areas they have now that its U2 270 instead of 360 thanks to hill 16 :(
    Hope you enjoy the show, i knwo for a fact you will be amazed :)

Yea they released seated tickets today.. just ordered my ticket there... got the top price ticket cause its just about infront of the stage or there abouts:D..... You only live once so fu*c it....

There was tickets for 30 quid????? :eek: would b nice seein a band that popular for so cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

33b1xzp.jpg

Looks like the tickets in the Premium Level. The diagram for the seating plan has the stand in the wrong position however. Not sure if they are good tickets or not though. Depends on where exactly they put the stage.

Yeh thanks, I guess it depends on the layout. I'm happy to be going anyway. Really looking forward to it now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Not overly enthused by the Barca setlist...

Yeah i must agree.
    Also didnt like the version of crazy tonight, was a dancy type version :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 sean11

This is typical of anything in Ireland. We only get a half arsed job while the rest of the world gets 100%... It's not U2's fault that the GAA only built 3/4 of a stadium... I knew from the pics of the Nou Camp show that the Croke park show was going to be a half arsed job (like the stadium)!! The 360 tour was designed to fit every world class stadium which Croke Park clearly is not... Christ if Neil Diamond can play Croke Park in the round surely U2 stage designers can sort something out, even when the Croke Park pitch area is much bigger than most.. It also baffles me as to why they couldn't put seats in Hill 16 for the show. I reckon the Dublin shows will be the only shows on the tour that will not fill the 20% extra people they get everywhere else... Other than that little rant I cant wait either way!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 sean11

Yeah i must agree.
    Also didnt like the version of crazy tonight, was a dancy type version :(
    I like this dancy version. Personally I think that alot of the new songs sound a bit boring live, any clips of Magnificant, Breath, or Crazy Tonight (Youtube Letterman shows) just dont seen too come across well live, so I reckon that is why they changed it. I saw the Nou Camp Crazy tonight and the place was buzzing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

sean11 wrote: »
    This is typical of anything in Ireland. We only get a half arsed job while the rest of the world gets 100%... It's not U2's fault that the GAA only built 3/4 of a stadium... I knew from the pics of the Nou Camp show that the Croke park show was going to be a half arsed job (like the stadium)!! The 360 tour was designed to fit every world class stadium which Croke Park clearly is not... Christ if Neil Diamond can play Croke Park in the round surely U2 stage designers can sort something out, even when the Croke Park pitch area is much bigger than most.. It also baffles me as to why they couldn't put seats in Hill 16 for the show. I reckon the Dublin shows will be the only shows on the tour that will not fill the 20% extra people they get everywhere else... Other than that little rant I cant wait either way!!:D

I got a laugh when I read this rubbish in the press today. I would have thought that the average punter would have been getting a 10 degree tour at best.

As somebody else said, the capacity of Croke Park can not increase. Basically what happens is that the rated capacity of the Hill 16 end is the number of people they allow on the pitch for a gig. Usually the stage is on Hill 16 so this out of use anyway. Even if they were to put seats into Hill 16 (and accomodate everyone that would normally stand there) you would end up with nobody standing on the pitch which would look very odd. You'd almost have a no mans land around the stage.

So lets say the GAA got a special licence to increase the capacity of Croke Park so all of Hill 16 could be used (seated) and the pitch. There's another problem - safety. The primary entrance to the pitch is the tunnel in the south east corner. I don't believe that the access at the northern end is sufficient for people (plus the access in the north west corner goes into a very confined space - most stadiums elsewhere have large open spaces around the stadium itself)). The stage would split the pitch in two meaning that there would be no way for the northern half of the pitch to be filled and emptied safely.

Personally, I think that Croker is a world class stadium but if they had a built it in a green field site it would have been better than it is. There are a few compromises.

• Advertisement
Advertisement