Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severed lawnmower electrical cable.

Options
  • 26-03-2020 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

Accidentally ran over it cutting the grass. I’m asking if a safe repair is possible and if so how could it be done. Skill level is good when wiring 3 pin plugs. Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Jayzee.

gebbel wrote: »
    Accidentally ran over it cutting the grass. I’m asking if a safe repair is possible and if so how could it be done. Skill level is good when wiring 3 pin plugs. Many thanks.

I dont know of anything suitable for that type of duty really

Is it near the plug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Replacing the entire cable would be the best plan unless it is cut very close to one end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

You can't patch or repair the cable. Joining it would be deadly dangerous as it'll never be fully waterproof. You have two options.
    1) cut back the cable beyond the damaged section, and reconnect it to the terminals inside the mower. You'll lose a bit of cable length but depending on how long you need it to be you might be OK.
    2) replace the cable completely with a new one. This has the option of potentially lengthening the cable some bit if you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SCOL

I fixed one up for a neighbor, I joined it up connectors, cable tied the two lengths together so if it the cable was pulled
    there would be no pressure on the connector insulating tape no problem and that was a few years ago works perfect.

SCOL wrote: »
    I fixed one up for a neighbor, I joined it up connectors, cable tied the two lengths together so if it the cable was pulled
    there would be no pressure on the connector insulating tape no problem and that was a few years ago works perfect.

That was not wise. No guarantee water can't get into it. if it was damp and the operator stood on it or picked it up near the patched section then they could easily be shocked or electrocuted. It is only through good luck that they are getting away with it. yeah, all well and good and "no problem" until something happens and then there is a problem.

Of course it will work. there is no question about it working. The question is, is it safe? The answer is no, absolutely not.

It was a very unwise and foolish repair to do, especially for someone else's mower.
    If they get electrocuted the first question will be "who made that dangerous repair to the cable?". Do you want to have that knock on the front door? You have just left yourself wide open here.

You might look like an eejit, but I think the best thing to do here is to go to that neighbour and tell them that you've been thinking about that cable repair and that in hindsight it is dangerous for them to use and ask them to not use it again until it is fixed properly. Even offer to have it repaired properly for them.

You are at a massive risk of a claim here, it is for your own good.

• Advertisement

That was not wise. No guarantee water can't get into it. if it was damp and the operator stood on it or picked it up near the patched section then they could easily be shocked or electrocuted. It is only through good luck that they are getting away with it. yeah, all well and good and "no problem" until something happens and then there is a problem.

Of course it will work. there is no question about it working. The question is, is it safe? The answer is no, absolutely not.

It was a very unwise and foolish repair to do, especially for someone else's mower.
    If they get electrocuted the first question will be "who made that dangerous repair to the cable?". Do you want to have that knock on the front door? You have just left yourself wide open here.

You might look like an eejit, but I think the best thing to do here is to go to that neighbour and tell them that you've been thinking about that cable repair and that in hindsight it is dangerous for them to use and ask them to not use it again until it is fixed properly. Even offer to have it repaired properly for them.

You are at a massive risk of a claim here, it is for your own good.
    Massive risk is a bit extreme, the chance of electrocution is remote.

Still a cowboy fix though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

SCOL wrote: »

Stupid. Absolutely stupid. And deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

You can't patch or repair the cable. Joining it would be deadly dangerous as it'll never be fully waterproof. You have two options.
    1) cut back the cable beyond the damaged section, and reconnect it to the terminals inside the mower. You'll lose a bit of cable length but depending on how long you need it to be you might be OK.
    2) replace the cable completely with a new one. This has the option of potentially lengthening the cable some bit if you need it.

HuH? Of course you can waterproof it. Ip68 connectors are like 5 euro.

Those are for static electrical installations. Flexes should never be jointed unless there is a very compelling reason for doing so. Because you are too tight to spend €20 on a length of flex is not a good enough reason.

Is an IP68 joint going to be waterproof after being stood on, kicked around, pulled, dragged, and rolled over for a season or two?

It is still a bad idea to join a cable like this. It will always be a weak spot and there will always be the risk of the joint deteriorating and being a shock and electrocution risk.

For the sake of saving €20 or €30 to replace the cable completely, joining it is a silly risk to take.

It is staggering how much people underestimate the dangers of electricity and how much they disregard their own lives.

Cut back the cable and reconnect, or completely replace the cable. Anything less is taking an unnecessary and totally avoidable risk with your or someone else's life.

It is staggering how much people underestimate the dangers of electricity and how much they disregard their own lives.

They must totally disregard their own lives every time they get into a car, as im confident hundreds of times more die that way than by electrocution in the home in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Talking about sure people get killed in car accidents is just whataboutery.

That plug and socket would be intended to be mounted in a relatively dry location and be fairly static while in use. It is not intended to be pulled around over and back and be kicked around a garden while mowing. And the break in the cable is near the mower, so that is what will happen. Do you think it'll be waterproof after a season or two of being kicked around the grass like that?

regardless of waterproofing, a joint in any cable or flex is a risk. A totally unnecessary and easily and cheaply avoidable risk in this instance.

That risk is easily eliminated by not jointing the cable and just replacing it or cutting back beyond the damaged part.

outdoor orange flex is cheap. Hardly more than €2.50 - €3 per meter. It is a false economy to be miserly with your safety.

Lads, i don't know why it is so difficult to get this through to ye. Joining it really is a silly move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Deagol

gebbel wrote: »

I did the same with a hedge clippers; joined it back up by twisting wires together and soldering them, then heat shrinking each individual wire and then double heat shrinking the whole outer section. Bit of work but guaranteed as safe as before the cut :)

But, to echo what the others have said - best fix is to join remaining good cable directly to the mower or replace the whole cable if that would make it too short.

talking about sure people get killed in car accidents is just whataboutery.

If you are going to tell us how staggering it is how much people underestimate the dangers of electricity, it seems fair game to compare it to other very common risks that people take.

Deagol wrote: »
    I did the same with a hedge clippers; joined it back up by twisting wires together and soldering them, then heat shrinking each individual wire and then double heat shrinking the whole outer section. Bit of work but guaranteed as safe as before the cut :)

But, to echo what the others have said - best fix is to join remaining good cable directly to the mower or replace the whole cable if that would make it too short.

No it damn well isn't. No way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

That plug and socket would be intended to be mounted in a relatively dry location and be fairly static while in use.
    https://www.mlaccessories.co.uk/product/2075765/ip68-16a-plug-and-socket-cable-connector-3pole
    Suitable for outdoor and underwater fixtures.

It's ok to admit when you're just making things up. No judgement.

No it damn well isn't. No way.

Im guessing the actual switch handle used to start the lawnmower, and hand must be kept on it, is waterproof as well?

We are all doomed:pac:

Bruthal wrote: »
    If you are going to tell us how staggering it is how much people underestimate the dangers of electricity, it seems fair game to compare it to other very common risks that people take.

There are hazards and risks everywhere. Some are not easy or reasonably practical to avoid, like having stairs in your house, or driving a car, or walking the road.
    Others are totally and easily avoidable , like replacing a damaged flex rather than doing cowboy botch job repairs with insulating tape and cable ties for the sake of saving a few euros. Therein lies the difference - some are easily eliminated, others are not.

Op is going to have to go to an electrical suppliers anyway to get a joiner - why not just buy a length of flex instead. it is small money and just as easy to do the repair and then you can be sure that it is as safe as you could possibly make it.

I can't believe people are advocating taking the more dangerous option. It is madness.

Im guessing the actual switch handle used to start the lawnmower, and hand must be kept on it, is waterproof as well?

We are all doomed:pac:

The handle doesn't spend all its time being dragged around on the damp and potentially wet grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭Cordell

Cut it very short close to the mower and use an extension. When you mow it again, just replace the extension.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Podge201

Put a plug on the cable end of the mower and use an extension lead.

TheChizler wrote: »
    https://www.mlaccessories.co.uk/product/2075765/ip68-16a-plug-and-socket-cable-connector-3pole

It's ok to admit when you're just making things up. No judgement.

That's grand, I didn't read the detail, but my point stands. is it going to be waterproof after 2 seasons being dragged around, kicked, rolled over etc? Would you be willing to let your life depend on it holding up?

My overall point is repairing the break is a risky move. It is just as easy to completely replace or shorten back the flex - so why not do it that way and be safe.

In fact, if money is an issue, why not just cut back the cable and reconnect to the mower - that way you don't have to buy anything at all and keep your €5 in your pocket and the repair should be as safe as can be. Connecting to the terminals inside the mower shouldn't be any more difficult than wiring a plug.

People seem to be insistent on taking the more dangerous option. Good luck to ye lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

A lot of people die getting out of bed. Should we stop people going to bed? The majority of people know that cars are dangerous but just like a soldier in a battle they know someone is going to die its just that it's not going to be them.

The difference with electricity, and water to an extent, is that people don't realise how dangerous it is and do silly things. Would you drive your car with the break lines cable tied together over a bit of a straw or 1 nut/bolt on each wheel?

There are hazards and risks everywhere. Some are not easy or reasonably practical to avoid, like having stairs in your house, or driving a car, or walking the road.
    Others are totally and easily avoidable , like replacing a damaged flex rather than doing cowboy botch job repairs with insulating tape and cable ties for the sake of saving a few euros. Therein lies the difference - some are easily eliminated, others are not.

Op is going to have to go to an electrical suppliers anyway to get a joiner - why not just buy a length of flex instead. it is small money and just as easy to do the repair and then you can be sure that it is as safe as you could possibly make it.
    People take risks yes. But some perspective is needed if you are going to say people underestimate the dangers of electricity, as if its certain death if someone joins the cable.
    I can't believe people are advocating taking the more dangerous option. It is madness.
    I myself have stated replace the cable.,

Del2005 wrote: »
    A lot of people die getting out of bed. Should we stop people going to bed? The majority of people know that cars are dangerous but just like a soldier in a battle they know someone is going to die its just that it's not going to be them.

The difference with electricity, and water to an extent, is that people don't realise how dangerous it is and do silly things. Would you drive your car with the break lines cable tied together over a bit of a straw or 1 nut/bolt on each wheel?
    Which would you prefer if you had to use one, a car with 1 nut on each wheel, or a lawnmower with a cut cable connected together?

The difference is for the 2 years I have stats for, 2017 and 2018, domestic deaths from electrocution are 0
    For cars its about 300 total.

It is not to say dont worry about electricity because cars are more dangerous, it is to give perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

This is standard cable connection on lawnmowers including the likes of Flymo from new.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/masterplug-orange-connector-2-pin/46232

Nothing wrong with joining cables its done from factory. Used to sell these by the boatload in my younger days in hardware store

Bruthal, I get you man. Perspective is fine and all. I get it.

My point is, why would you take the risk of using a jointed flex, when you can completely avoid that risk. Shortening the cable beyond the damaged section involved no cost and no greater effort or time than joining - so why not just do it rather than gambling with a botch job.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Those are for static electrical installations. Flexes should never be jointed unless there is a very compelling reason for doing so.

This is not correct, there are plenty of cheap rugged ip68 connections for flex.

My point is, why would you take the risk of using a jointed flex, when you can completely avoid that risk. Shortening the cable beyond the damaged section involved no cost and no greater effort or time than joining - so why not just do it rather than gambling with a botch job.

Its not that risky, there is more chance you will run over the cable with the mower :pac:

I would just replace the cable also, but thats not what the op asked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Botch Job? 2 Pin connectors are used on top brand electrical mowers for decades and now.

Botch job, pffffffttt

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement