Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesco Bargains [Groceries]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

fmul9798 wrote: »
    100% agree on all comments
    Tesco wine bargains are few and far between now unfortunately

]It can be very good value, but you need to know your wines and how supermarkets market wines.

Personally I don't rate brands such as santa rita - Aldi / Lidl equivalent normal price wines are vastly superior as they don;t price in false promotions.

One example is Aldi Exquisite Argentinian Malbe @ 8.49 v Santa Rita Malbec @ 11.49 (8.61 after discount)
    The Aldi one is miles ahead.

Beware of brands you only see in one supermarket.

"Winemaker selection"
    "Ogio"
    "Domain Arnaud" (utter muck)

Similarly avoid the cheap bottles of the mega brands such as cono sur, santa rita, wolf blass, frontera & carmen. After 25% of they are just about priced OK, but again you'll get better for same price in aldi lidl. (Aldi standard pinot grigio @6.99 will beat any €10 tesco version)

The value is in the €12-€20 price bracket where you can compare the wines and find independent ratings.

Tesco used to be far better for wine - these days I just find them to be appalling but with a little knowledge (and a smart phone when you are there,) you will find a few decent ones.
    [/QUOTE]

I don't disagree with your general point but I really like their Ogio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

I don't disagree with your general point but I really like their Ogio.[/QUOTE]

Ogio is a really nice wine. Used to always be advertised as half price at 6 euro. Was great value. Think its about 8 or 9 euro now.:mad:

I do think Aldi/Lidl have better bang for your buck when it comes to wine.

Any tips on really good value wines for the 25% off in tesco?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Vorenus400 wrote: »
    I don't disagree with your general point but I really like their Ogio.

Ogio is a really nice wine. Used to always be advertised as half price at 6 euro. Was great value. Think its about 8 or 9 euro now.:mad:

I do think Aldi/Lidl have better bang for your buck when it comes to wine.

Any tips on really good value wines for the 25% off in tesco?[/QUOTE]

Ogio is €10.00 per bottle at the moment :rolleyes: so €60.00 * 25% = €45.00 / 6 = €7.50 a bottle, not a great discount considering it usually retails about €8.00

I did a full tour of the wines in Tesco yesterday, armed with Vivino app. 80% of the wines I scanned were at their average price or a little below after the 25% discount.
    A few wines like the Faustino which is on offer anyway is better value after the 25% discount.
    Sangre de Torres is more expensive with the 25% off than last week when it was 6 for €40.
    I highly recommend using the Vivino app to check your wines before buying. The was one particular bottle of Bordeaux supposedly reduced from €20 to €10 but which on the Vivino app was priced at an average of €8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,518 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Pringles €1.50 yesterday in Wilton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭clairek6

Various multipacks of cadburys bars down to 0.75 probably all they're worth considering how small the bars have gotten! Picked up a flake, wispa and crunchie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭leck

clairek6 wrote: »
    Various multipacks of cadburys bars down to 0.75 probably all they're worth considering how small the bars have gotten! Picked up a flake, wispa and crunchie
    Are they the packs of 3-4 bars or the bags of minis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭clairek6

leck wrote: »
    Are they the packs of 3-4 bars or the bags of minis?

3-4 bars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I did a full tour of the wines in Tesco yesterday, armed with Vivino app. 80% of the wines I scanned were at their average price or a little below after the 25% discount.
    A few wines like the Faustino which is on offer anyway is better value after the 25% discount.
    Sangre de Torres is more expensive with the 25% off than last week when it was 6 for €40.
    I highly recommend using the Vivino app to check your wines before buying. The was one particular bottle of Bordeaux supposedly reduced from €20 to €10 but which on the Vivino app was priced at an average of €8.

Got 2 or 3 of my wines wrong. Like suggesting a white for a red or got years wrong.

But thanks for the tip. If the price averages are better than the label recognition then I came out ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

still show as 1.50 online for me, listed as an offer. They list them as teatsize

20g each for flakes.

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=292560483

• Advertisement

3-4 bars
    Thanks. Found them in Claremorris at 75c. Lots of Wispa and Crunchie, shelf cleared of Flake.

They are still 1.50 on the website, so the 75c price might not be available in all stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭g0g

I see comments a few posts back about White Toblerone being reduced. Today in Tesco Bray I picked up a few Milk Chocolate giant ones for € 2.99. I know it's the new design, but that's great value per gram! Reduced price of the old style one was usually € 4.00 based on 400g of chocolate. Weight has only dropped 10% (360g) with the new design but the price is 25% lower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭garbeth

Wemo plugs and bulbs reduced in Tesco Naas.

May be in other stores

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,552 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Another set of X off Y vouchers arrived this morning - 16 off 80 for me, every week until the 8th of January.

This is basically a one week gap since the last ones ran out I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Proper Yorkies for 20c (Tesco Mahon Point, anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

L1011 wrote: »
    Another set of X off Y vouchers arrived this morning - 16 off 80 for me, every week until the 8th of January.

This is basically a one week gap since the last ones ran out I think.

Got one '10E off when spending >50' and three '12E off when spending >60' in the post myself.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Got one '10E off when spending >50' and three '12E off when spending >60' in the post myself.

Four 10 off 50 for me, on top of the two 6 off 30 from SuperValu last week. Doubt I'll be crossing the threshold of an Aldi or Lidl (much) this Christmas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I was given 4 x €16 off €100 this time round. I'll be hard pressed to get near that spend in my (small) Tesco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

Yeah I got more money off vouchers, still no clubcard vouchers though!

• Advertisement

amor3 wrote: »

If you were due Clubcard vouchers, they should be available to print off in the Clubcard section of the Tesco website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭uli84

Oh I haven't received money off vouchers (yet i hope), nothing from supervalu either, aaah they don't like me anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Slab of Guinness now €24 (28 in Dunnes and Lidl) €18 for Coors (20 in Lidl and €22 in Dunnes. Matching Aldi and Lidl for Smirnoff €17 - €20 in Dunnes. Noticed when in today that Coors was advertised for both €20 and €18 and Jameson 70cl was advertised as €20 and five yards away €25. When I pointed this out the staff member said it was the cheapest price applied - but he made no effort to remove the higher price sticker in either case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

+1
    I was given 4 x €16 off €100 this time round. I'll be hard pressed to get near that spend in my (small) Tesco.

Phone credit 5 x 20 or part thereof if stuck.
    €100 is a big spend.

joeysoap wrote: »
    Slab of Guinness now €24 (28 in Dunnes and Lidl) €18 for Coors (20 in Lidl and €22 in Dunnes. Matching Aldi and Lidl for Smirnoff €17 - €20 in Dunnes. Noticed when in today that Coors was advertised for both €20 and €18 and Jameson 70cl was advertised as €20 and five yards away €25. When I pointed this out the staff member said it was the cheapest price applied - but he made no effort to remove the higher price sticker in either case.

Website says 25€ for coors:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

vicwatson wrote: »
    Website says 25€ for coors:confused:

The website uses guide pricing the actual price will differ when scanned instore. If you end up paying more you can refuse at the door.

• Advertisement

The website uses guide pricing the actual price will differ when scanned instore. If you end up paying more you can refuse at the door.

Not ime it doesn't

It states clearly - "Any 24 for €25 valid from 12/12/2016 until 24/12/2016"

Heineken also €25, Guinness is €24

Tesco extra Dundalk, definitely €18.

Tesco extra Dundalk, definitely €18.

Aha, "border" counties Tesco only I wonder?

amor3 wrote: »
    I got both money-off (4 x 5/25) and clubcard vouchers in the recent run, but nothing in the last few days. Maybe not everyone is getting them this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Anyone know/think if 25% off wine offer will be back before Christmas in Tesco?

Nothing on their website.

• Advertisement

Didn't think of that. Possible alright. €18 is a good price. (3 x €22 in Dunnes - 10 voucher = €56. €18 x 3 = €54 with no voucher or coupon.

okidoki987 wrote: »
    +1

Phone credit 5 x 20 or part thereof if stuck.
    €100 is a big spend.

Think they don't allow that.

Think they don't allow that.

Yes they do. Bought phone credit with a voucher today at lunchtime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

Variety box of walkers for 4 quid in dundalk today. 30 packs altogether.. seems decent to me..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

3 x Walker's sensations 4 euro.

Asus X540L wrote: »
    What are they? sounds like insoles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,552 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Posh crisps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Posh crisps.

yeah normally 2.99 each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,662 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I got both money-off (4 x 5/25) and clubcard vouchers in the recent run, but nothing in the last few days. Maybe not everyone is getting them this time.

Only got the clubcard vouchers, no X off Y spend ever from Tesco

This is a Tesco thread, but a heads up Guinness now €24 in Dunnes as well as Tesco and you get your discount voucher back if you spend €50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Logo

This is a Tesco thread, but a heads up Guinness now €24 in Dunnes as well as Tesco and you get your discount voucher back if you spend €50.

Apologies for hijacking the Tesco thread but does mobile credit purchase qualify for the Dunnes spend 50 for 40 voucher?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Logo wrote: »
    Does mobile credit purchase qualify for the Dunnes spend 50 for 40 voucher?
    It seems it does. If I had to travel some distance to tesco I would print out this page in the link below in case there was a dispute. The tesco employees seem fairly clueless about their own stores rules etc. Not sure if anyone did have trouble buying phone credit though.

http://www.tesco.ie/CompetitorCoupons/
    Competitor coupons for our customers
    Terms and conditions in Tesco Ireland 23.03.2016

We accept Competitor supermarket Spend & Save coupons – e.g. €5 off every €50 – see example below
    We accept spend & save coupons only from Dunnes Stores, SuperValu, Lidl and Aldi
    We do not accept spend & save coupons for the purchase of Gift cards, Fuel and normal Clubcard exclusions e.g. tobacco, infant formulae, lottery tickets, medicine, savings stamps
    We do not accept competitor loyalty scheme vouchers – e.g. ValueClub vouchers
    We do not accept competitor product coupons e.g. 50c off Krispy Cornflakes 700g
    Competitor supermarket Spend & Save coupons can be accepted at any till
    Only original Spend & Save coupons can be accepted – no photocopies and we cannot accept coupons in emails or texts
    Only 1 “Spend & Save” coupon can be presented per transaction and a maximum of two coupons can be accepted per customer per day
    We can only accept Spend & Save coupons that are in date and when the customer meets the minimum spend threshold outlined on the coupon
    Spend & Save coupons presented after the transaction is complete and payment by customer cannot be accepted / exchanged for cash. Customers can use the coupon on their next shopping trip once it is still in date
    Spend & Save coupons can be used with your Tesco Grocery home shopping. Please give the voucher to the driver when they deliver the shopping. A full refund will be processed back onto the payment card when the driver returns to the Grocery Department. If you are availing of click and collect then please present the coupon to the colleague in the click and collect unit. Our colleagues give it to their dot com manager who will arrange a refund for the customers

Gift cards are excluded which is a bit vague. Not sure if you can buy argos or itunes ones, I would guess not. Other people manage to buy tesco vouchers. But phone credit should not fall under gift cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Logo

Thanks for taking time to reply - but wanted to know if Dunnes spend & save vouchers allow the purchase of mobile credit to qualify in Dunnes Stores outlets. Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Posh crisps.

*Crisps in posh packaging.....nice crisps though!
    yeah normally 2.99 each.

I see them frequently on offer

Logo wrote: »
    Thanks for taking time to reply - but wanted to know if Dunnes spend & save vouchers allow the purchase of mobile credit to qualify in Dunnes Stores outlets. Thanks again!

Nope, unfortunately mobile top-ups are specifically excluded in the T&Cs of the Dunnes Shop & Save vouchers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭CH3OH

back to Tesco offers
    Coke offer 5 for €5 until 20th

403956.jpg

Lipton Fresh Nature green tea, 20 pyramid teabags 56c. Not on website, so probably a clearance item.

Tesco had boxes of crisps for sale (King, Tayto ) last week for €4 . Don't know if any left but you can get 12 + 6 free of Tayto for €3, which is better value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

6 for €40 and 6 for €50 wine deals on again until Christmas Eve.

Sangre de toro and Castillo di Diablo on the €40 deal. Campo Viejo Reserva on the 6 for €50 is well worth the extra tenner. There could be more too.

Also, 6 packs of Hunky Dorys for 50c.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

stimpson wrote: »
    Sangre de toro and Castillo di Diablo on the €40 deal.
    In my most humble opinion - no thanks.
    stimpson wrote: »
    Campo Viejo Reserva on the 6 for €50 is well worth the extra tenner. There could be more too.
    Now you're talking!
    BUT I availed of this recently and one of the bottles was just OFF. I had a bottle next to it with a bottle number that was sequential or nearly sequential and it was the usual taste but the first bottle was awful.

What does one do there - bring it back to somebody in tesco and shove it under their nose "here smell this, it's awful"?

Advertisement