Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New housing developments in Maynooth

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ixus

JDxtra wrote: »
    Attached is a copy of the price list for the homes in Carton Wood as handed out today at the launch.

I daresay pricing seems "reasonable" in current climate. Is this to reflect location, not ideal being across from halting site and the Outer Ring Road that will be built this century.

What houses were on view today?

Edit: the 5&4 bed detached seem reasonable. Not others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Without checking the drainage docs for the replacement planning for behind Lidl - because they'd mean nothing to me - I'd say the new application has a much better chance of passing. Fewer houses abutting existing estates, no houses opening on to the ring road.

Pedestrian link to Greenfield Drive is on it, which has been unpopular in the past but I fully support - enclosed housing estates are problematic in many ways and the usual claim of "it'll allow burglars escape!" ignores the fact that they use cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 FTBhopeful

Hi everyone,

Great tread and it's very informative! I'm a first time buyer and recently went to view the 3bed semi in carton wood. I actually really liked the house but the halting site across the road is obviously a big concern.

Can anyone shed any more light on the halting site?
    - has it been there long?
    - is there any antisocial behaviour?
    - any issues with rats? Dumping/rubbish?

It is there a long time, as long as i can recall. 20/30 yrs. No real issues I can think of and to be honest, I have never heard any stories either.

Never been dumping around there though neglected horses were left in the small field beside the Carton wall a couple of years back for a few years running. Don't know who did that but appears to have stopped.

L1011 wrote: »
    To update on these

16/167 - Further Info request by the council primarily about traffic and
    drainage/flooding
    15/200 - appeal refused, primarily about flooding but also houses opening on to the ring road (my personal huge concern with it)
    15/263 - withdrawn
    09/246 - no activity
    09/8 - Site clearance has started, name to be "Carton Wood" according to planning docs
    04/767 - no activity, I would imagine this is going to expire.

The withdrawn/refused ones will inevitably have revised plans in future

Updates to these for year-end:
    16/167 - refused on flood risk, appealed - appeal doesn't seem to have been heard yet
    15/200 is replaced by 16/1153 - lower density, different layout. Still likely going to have issues with flooding/drainage as the land floods; badly.
    09/246 - site clearance work looks to be underway although I don't see a commencement notice. May be considered as part of Carton Wood when built.
    04/767 has expired with no commencement and nothing new has been submitted; nothing new for 15/263 either.

• Advertisement

Still waitin on Cairns big one.

There was a withdrawn application for some of that site in 2009 (09/287) but nowhere near the entirety of it. Very low building density on that plan albeit a number of apartment blocks so the unit density wasn't that tiny.

There's a plan for a new road from the Moyglare Road to the Dunboyne Road across the top of the site as far as I remember but fecked if I can find it in the LAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 filemoon

There's a plan for a new road from the Moyglare Road to the Dunboyne Road across the top of the site as far as I remember but fecked if I can find it in the LAP.

Hi

Are you talking about fameous MOOR (ring road)?

I was ready to buy in Moyglare Hall but looks like they can do nothing until MOOR is completed (they've tried to change planning permission but looks like they stuck).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

No, a road further in - from opposite the (current) secondary school.

The outer ring road only has to be completed to the county boundary by the MH developers for them to continue with the estate.

And yet construction can start this Quarter on two new schools at the current entrance to Moyglare Hall on what is essentially a country road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mileycactus

No, a road further in - from opposite the (current) secondary school.

The outer ring road only has to be completed to the county boundary by the MH developers for them to continue with the estate.

thanks for sharing.. do they only have to do ~180m's worth (see pic)? who is going to do the rest. I figured if the council had them over a barrel we might see the road materialize sooner, but if they only have to do this little section, who is obliged to do the rest?

Article on all new developments in Dublin and Kildare. Big one underway in Kilcock, laying the road from small road out by Supervalu (over the hump bridge) at the moment. It's called the Maynooth Road in this article. Planning via Meath CoCo.

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/new-to-market/thinking-of-buying-a-new-home-here-is-what-s-for-sale-now-and-coming-up-later-this-year-1.2916418

thanks for sharing.. do they only have to do ~180m's worth (see pic)? who is going to do the rest. I figured if the council had them over a barrel we might see the road materialize sooner, but if they only have to do this little section, who is obliged to do the rest?

Meath CoCo have approved the rest I think. But it needs funding/building from future developers.

Meath CoCo have approved the rest I think. But it needs funding/building from future developers.

Never going to happen. Need it from that structural fund that Coveney announced. And the CoCo had to be oushed to apply for that free money. Imagine.

KCC (when forced by councillors) applied for the Kildare sections. The Meath section is tied to industrial development planned for that side of the border.

[QUOTE=The outer ring road only has to be completed to the county boundary by the MH developers for them to continue with the estate.[/QUOTE]

As far as I know this is not accurate. MH cannot sell until all MOOR is completed.
    I've been spoken to person from Kildare Transportation Department and he told - "MOOR needs more time" - "couple of years".

ixus: - "And yet construction can start this Quarter" can I ask what is your source?

It is accurate. I posted what ABP had to say earlier in the thread.

filemoon wrote: »
    As far as I know this is not accurate. MH cannot sell until all MOOR is completed.
    I've been spoken to person from Kildare Transportation Department and he told - "MOOR needs more time" - "couple of years".

ixus: - "And yet construction can start this Quarter" can I ask what is your source?

Moyglare Hall only requires that section of Ring Road. The complete Ring Road, or such a clause would be difficult to enforce. Developers are def stuck for now on this one.

Liffey Champion pre Christmas had articles in it with who's who claiming school would start this Quarter. That's the timetable. The point is, you could have the school's started which would have a bigger impact than 70 houses, an incomplete housing estate and no sign of a Ring Road. Bad for everyone.

Thank you for update.

So there is still hope they will finish road and start selling again.

Do you know why they have so big issue with the part road - it is around 180m, does MH need to build any bridges?

Thank you for update.

So there is still hope they will finish road and start selling again.

Do you know why they have so big issue with the part road - it is around 180m, does MH need to build any bridges?

Funding. Developers do not want to be on the hook for this. The model is from pre 2006. They have likely suffered through the boom and bust. Seem to have survived it.

The financing model is outdated. Council or govt should build in advance and deduct taxes/levies as houses are built.

Govt can borrow at really low rates whereas developers are caught at high rates if they cam borrow from banks at all and not higher margin lenders seeking 12-20%

• Advertisement

How much can cost Maynooth/Kildare section (180m) of ring road - 1 million - 5 millions (I have no idea)? What if developer decides not to build this road? Will county build it, as county need to have it when new school will be ready?

System is wrong - you are right.

How much can cost Maynooth/Kildare section (180m) of ring road - 1 million - 5 millions (I have no idea)? What if developer decides not to build this road? Will county build it, as county need to have it when new school will be ready?

System is wrong - you are right.

If the developer "decides" not to build it, they'll have enforcement proceedings against them to prevent them building any more houses. Part of it is already there. Cost would be under 1M.

As it is, its completely useless without the Meath section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭Patser

I seen a new planning permission board up at the little stub of the road just at the entrance to Moyglare Hall proper. I'll try read it later.

You could always look online....

I'd say it's one of the Satchwell's building a house in there. Planning online for that. Cairn have gone quiet.

ixus wrote: »
    You could always look online....

I'd say it's one of the Satchwell's building a house in there. Planning online for that. Cairn have gone quiet.

Nothing online new. Sign can go up a little while before the application as they want to know where the signs *are*.

Patser wrote: »
    I seen a new planning permission board up at the little stub of the road just at the entrance to Moyglare Hall proper. I'll try read it later.

New sign? There's been a sign there for a while about the ring road.

Maybe, this one looked very shiny and new. I'll double check later

Yep you're right, dated May 2016, must have looked extra shiny in the winter sun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 NM123

Does anyone have any info about the new houses going into the left of the Carton wood site, are they part of same development? Don't see them on carton wood site map, anyone know what they are called? Thanks

See this link. Different builders. Carton Grove. Not 100% but may have built Hayfield.
    Article on all new developments in Dublin and Kildare. Big one underway in Kilcock, laying the road from small road out by Supervalu (over the hump bridge) at the moment. It's called the Maynooth Road in this article. Planning via Meath CoCo.

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/new-to-market/thinking-of-buying-a-new-home-here-is-what-s-for-sale-now-and-coming-up-later-this-year-1.2916418

Hi.

Most of the houses will be 3 semi or 3 terrace (+few 4 semi) + they will have quite small gardens (I've checked permission plans).

I'm still looking for any useful information for Moyglare - but site looks quiet an dead (abandon), and Mycete is building other estate close to Drogheda. Coonan removes any information about Moyglare's next phase too (before they said Summer 2017).

I don't understand why they are not finishing 180m of the road and continue build and sell houses.

Regards Chris.

I've explained this. Their hands are tied. It's all on the county council. Builder has done everything on their side to get this going. They would love to have the final phase up and running.

See this link. Different builders. Carton Grove. Not 100% but may have built Hayfield.

Planned originally to appear as one estate with Carton Wood when finished - two seperate plans etc though.

Drove into the new entrance on Straffan Road (old greenfield) today for a look. Was interested to see what type of land was in there.

Huge site. Looked it up and Mooney, of Castlepark, have planning under 06/424 for a multi-purpose development of approx 83 units. Very similar to scale and type as Carton Square, with a creche. Got planning around 2007 with extension a few years ago. They couldn't get started until the new road works were completed.

Probably means they will focus on this before making any further moves on Castlepark 2.

• Advertisement

I never even put that on the main list as I assumed the development was completely dead until the road works started again.

There's a few sites like it that are very close to the train station - the Leavy site across the road and the parcel north of the canal behind the parsonage and health centre. Should be looking to get those developed before pushing out further to what will be car-dependent developments.

Yeah, that land locked in by the Canal is wasted at the moment. Wonder if someone purchasing the Old Rectory could open it up in a nice way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,334 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I see Ard na Gréine was taken in charge this week. Is it because it's a small development or did they just have all conditions met quickly or other reasons?

Yeah, that land locked in by the Canal is wasted at the moment. Wonder if someone purchasing the Old Rectory could open it up in a nice way.

There's going to be a road from the harbour to Parson Street which will open it up.
    Redsoxfan wrote: »
    I see Ard na Gréine was taken in charge this week. Is it because it's a small development or did they just have all conditions met quickly or other reasons?

Its tiny and likely has nothing interesting. Sewage pumping stations and drainage are the main issue in this area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 oneway1

Funding approved for part of the ring road in maynooth

• Advertisement

Updates to these for year-end:
    16/167 - refused on flood risk, appealed - appeal doesn't seem to have been heard yet
    15/200 is replaced by 16/1153 - lower density, different layout. Still likely going to have issues with flooding/drainage as the land floods; badly.
    09/246 - site clearance work looks to be underway although I don't see a commencement notice. May be considered as part of Carton Wood when built.

New applications:
    17/380 - Extra storey and sub-division of other apartments
    16/1311 - two new houses on Straffan Road (adjacent to 06/424 below)

Existing:
    16/167 - conditional grant on appeal, mainly seems to be enhanced flood defence works
    16/1153 - further info requested and received. Reduction in houses, change of types. Council require new newspaper notices etc as a result.
    06/424 extended under 13/144 - apartments and houses between Kingsbry and Old Greenfield, now back in play as road has been opened.

09/246 is under construction and on sale as Carton Grove.

Additionally, an extensive student accommodation building has been given permission for opposite the Roost. This, along with the extra on site accommodation at the university should help control rental demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭highdef

oneway1 wrote: »
    Funding approved for part of the ring road in maynooth

Do you which part?

the part between the Celbridge and Leixlip roads, including the bridge over the rail line and canal.

Old pitch and putt club i think:

https://www.kildarenow.com/news/new-e3-8m-housing-project-north-kildare-gets-go-ahead-despite-kcc-refusal/156472

New €3.8M housing project for north Kildare gets go ahead despite KCC refusal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Couple of interesting ones in the weekly list.

17/383: Educate Together application for a 2 stream school over two phases. 1st phase is a new building of 3200 sq. m behind the existing building and second phase a new building on the site of the existing one.
    17/379: Boys school - new 3 storey building with 24 classrooms. Interesting part of this one is that it references existing astro pitch which is part of the post-primary not the boys school as far as I'm aware.

KildareNow have mentioned a new campsite in Kealstown but I can't find anything on KCC site - weekly list or by searching Paul Mooney or Kealstown. Anyone have any details? https://www.kildarenow.com/news/tourist-campsite-planned-north-kildare/156141

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Lastblackdog

Probably not new to everyone else but I have only just seen it. Looks like a big development on the Dublin Road.

http://rebuildingireland.ie/news/rebuilding-ireland-land-map/

Probably not new to everyone else but I have only just seen it. Looks like a big development on the Dublin Road.

http://rebuildingireland.ie/news/rebuilding-ireland-land-map/

And the ring road will run right through it to Griffith Rath. All that land will then be opened up for development. Which has been purchased a long time ago with this in mind. The Educate together location was gifted to help with planning and supposed to be temporary with a better site once ring road was in if my sources are correct. However, in Ireland, temporary usually becomes permanent!

It was always meant to be permanent and planning has gone in for permanent buildings there.

Per kfm radio site:

decision is imminent on the application of planning permission for a residential development in Greenfield Maynooth.
    Kelston Properties Limited are seeking permission to build two-hundred-and-fourteen new homes, a 2-story créche, and a number of ancillary development works including a link road on the site.

That one was cut to 181 in further info. That only landed a few weeks ago and the decision date is set to "n/a" so I don't know when the actual decision deadline is now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement