Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haye vs Bellew

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

I will 100% buy it . I dont care it will be entertaining . The build up and the fight itself while it lasts . Bellew will have to let his hands go , the same way Brook had to .

Never seen Haye as angry though . There seems to be a lot of hate towards Matchroom from other promotions and other fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,676 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Bellew himself has admitted that he may indeed get knocked out. It's a case of kill or be killed for him. He seems to be banking on his power getting Haye out of there. Could it? Well, if he lands flush and clean maybe it could...I'd still have to think that Haye gets there first. Haye's D for me is a lot better than Bellew's

• Registered Users Posts: 16,653 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Bellew's power is overrated. Also Haye, to my surprise,took clean punches from Wlad and did not get knocked out. No way will Bellew with his sloppy technique knock Haye out. This fight lasts as long as Haye wants it to. One thing that Hearn said in the conference is true, there is only one person who likes the sound of their own voice more than himself, that's Haye. Haye is probably jealous of Hearns ability as a promoter, because as much as you may loathe the smug Hearn, he is a very astute promoter who is a master at polishing turds and packaging average fighters as world beaters.

Whether or not it's overrated doesn't at all matter. He may just hit hard enough to KO Haye. Haye is just a man, and if one thing is true in life and boxing, it's that we are not superhuman. We can be very fragile and vulnerable. Some very innocuous punches have ended fights. All depends on how it lands. It may not even need to have huge force. Bellew will be 200 plus lbs. Haye has a head like the rest of us. I agree, more likely Haye gets the KO, but that may be as much due to his own power and defence as opposed to Bellew not having the power to KO Haye.

Btw, how clean and flush did Wlad really hit Haye?

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    Whether or not it's overrated doesn't at all matter. He may just hit hard enough to KO Haye. Haye is just a man, and if one thing is true in life and boxing, it's that we are not superhuman. We can be very fragile and vulnerable. Some very innocuous punches have ended fights. All depends on how it lands. It may not even need to have huge force. Bellew will be 200 plus lbs. Haye has a head like the rest of us. I agree, more likely Haye gets the KO, but that may be as much due to his own power and defence as opposed to Bellew not having the power to KO Haye.

He does not hit hard enough to Knock Haye out, even if he did he does not have to the skill to land clean on Haye. This will be as one sided as when Haye fouught Enzo. Bellew is an average fighter. He is only taking this fight because he knows its a big pay day, a cash out fight, before he loses his cruiser weight belt for less money.

Btw, how clean and flush did Wlad really hit Haye?

I thought you might say that, not too often to be fair, but for a chinny guy it should have been enough to at least wobble Haye.

I thought you might say that, not too often to be fair, but for a chinny guy it should have been enough to at least wobble Haye.

You know, for me Wlad never really threw venomous shots with real snap. I always felt that his power was overrated. Bellew has heavy and snappy power. He delivers in a more spiteful way. Anyway, for me Haye has more weight and power in his shots than Bellew, as well as a better D. Bellew will be lucky to get out of rd 1 if Haye goes for it. But, Haye gets caught clean? Ok, Bellew isn't Mike Tyson, but he's not some WW either..

Could a prime Ali KO Haye? If answered yes then I think a 200 plus lbs Bellew could..not asking if he has the skill to land, just if his punch could.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Can't be any worse than the so called FOTC, Manny-Floyd? And many many many bought that.

Of course they did, despite most predicting the result. Different leagues though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Can't be any worse than the so called FOTC, Manny-Floyd? And many many many bought that.

I let it go when you name dropped Hagler-Hearns yesterday but now Manny-Floyd too? :D

I can't believe the amount of people getting sucked into this fight. Hearn really could sell water to a pirate.

Its another gross mismatch where Hearn puts his own fighter in danger to make some ££££.

All you're doing here is describing heavyweight boxing. You could say this about Joshua v Charles Martin too. Doesn't mean its not an embarrassment of a mismatch. Why you're trying to do your best Eddie Hearn sell job on it I'm not quite sure.

I am quite clear here. I believe it's likely that Haye KOs Bellew early. I am also clear in saying that we cannot know how decent or exciting the fight will be. I don't need to sell this. It will sell in Britain easily, as both are big names.

The Hagler-Hearns reference was also clear. Could we get a right ding dong tear up with explosive and intense action? We can't know until it happens or not.

And Manny and Floyd... I think many, me included predicted that that fight could be a stinker, and many saw it as a mismatch. Guess what. It turned out to be a stinker,but not a mismatch. I never compared it to this March 4 match as regards its global appeal. I simply stated that Manny-Floyd was a stinker, and that this March 4 match could hardly be worse. We won't kmow until after the fight.

A recent "mismatch" money grab that was slated before it happened was Brook-GGG. For me it was ten times the fight that was Manny-Floyd in terms of enjoy-ability.

Of course they did, despite most predicting the result. Different leagues though

Different leagues in terms of global appeal and name recognition. I am not debating this part of it. The fight was still a horrible spectacle, and one that many predicted.

For Britain and PPV this will be a big seller. And I see why. And it's not a mug thing at all. It's people and their wanting to watch hyped events. If they are mugs for this then they are mugs for almost any PPV event out there.

Some PPV events truly are awful in terms of the names that are appearing. Joshua against very weak opposition on PPV is bad form for me. I have 0 interest in paying to see him fight some no name no hoper. Same for Brook-Gavin and Bellew-Cleverly when they were aired. Ridiculous sh1t that.

At least with Bellew and Haye you have two well known names in Britain. At HW, with what seems to be genuine bad blood, and style wise what seems to be an explosive encounter no matter who wins. It's very unlikely that this will be a snoozer.

All the permutations have to be considered, and when you add them all up then this is a big seller. Is it worthy of PPV? In this current climate of mediocrity then it certainly is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

If this fight didn't have a WWE build up it wouldn't be on PPV. The fact Bellew got KO'd at Light Heavyweight by Stevenson shows he has no chance really even though Haye is not an elite Heavyweight.

This could be another Haye vs Harrison style fight.

pac_man wrote: »
    I get the impression from listening to Dave Caldwell that Bellews best chance is to bring this to the later rounds. It kinda makes sense given the last time Haye has done 12 rounds and there's no doubt his slowed since then. Hayes timing could be potentially be off and there's nothing more tiring then hitting air. He made reference to the Carl Thompson fight(like every other opposing trainer that has faced Haye) in which Haye was expected to blow over the 40 year old in a round or two. The difference is, Thompson showed that night that he could take a shot which had Haye blowing out of his arse and punching himself out, Tony can't take a shot, especially against a Heavyweight.

Unless Bellew turns into Harry Houdini on the night I can't see his D being able to avoid a flush Haye shot. And I'm with you as regards Bellew's ability to take a shot against a hard hitting HW.

I'll settle for my Hagler-Hearns war in this one, and even if only a 1 rd war! :)

You know, for me Wlad never really threw venomous shots with real snap. I always felt that his power was overrated. Bellew has heavy and snappy power. He delivers in a more spiteful way. Anyway, for me Haye has more weight and power in his shots than Bellew, as well as a better D. Bellew will be lucky to get out of rd 1 if Haye goes for it. But, Haye gets caught clean? Ok, Bellew isn't Mike Tyson, but he's not some WW either..

Wlads power is not overrrated. Bellew's certainly is,though. This is in no way ppv worthy. It wont even be a Hagler - Hearns war for 1 round. Bellew was smashed around the ring by a light heavyweight, who hits nothing like as hard as Haye does. The only appeal this fight has for me is what will Bellew have to say for himself afterwards.

Wlads power is not overrrated. Bellew's certainly is,though. This is in no way ppv worthy. It wont even be a Hagler - Hearns war for 1 round. Bellew was smashed around the ring by a light heavyweight, who hits nothing like as hard as Haye does. The only appeal this fight has for me is what will Bellew have to say for himself afterwards.

How many wow one punch clean KOs has Wlad? I am not saying he does not hit hard, but his delivery and power are more force than out and out power.

Anyway, relating to this fight, Bellew I feel hits hard enough if he lands to ask questions at least. Yes, smart money would be on Haye taking Bellew's shots better that Bellew taking Haye's.

I am quite clear here. I believe it's likely that Haye KOs Bellew early. I am also clear in saying that we cannot know how decent or exciting the fight will be. I don't need to sell this. It will sell in Britain easily, as both are big names.

The Hagler-Hearns reference was also clear. Could we get a right ding dong tear up with explosive and intense action? We can't know until it happens or not.

And Manny and Floyd... I think many, me included predicted that that fight could be a stinker, and many saw it as a mismatch. Guess what. It turned out to be a stinker,but not a mismatch. I never compared it to this March 4 match as regards its global appeal. I simply stated that Manny-Floyd was a stinker, and that this March 4 match could hardly be worse. We won't kmow until after the fight.

A recent "mismatch" money grab that was slated before it happened was Brook-GGG. For me it was ten times the fight that was Manny-Floyd in terms of enjoy-ability.
    We don't know how decent or exciting any fight is going to be before they happen. That's hardly new information. We can have a good idea though when they're as one sided on paper as this.

You don't need to sell any fight as you're a fan! You're talking about this like you're Jonny Nelson on Sky completely trying to polish a turd.

By your logic Billy Joe Saunders' fight this weekend could turn into a Hagler-Hearns type fight. Should we all be trying to find a way to make that sound like it's not a gross mismatch too?

It's a bad fight that you'd need more money than sense to pay for imo. No doubt Hearn puts a godawful undercard with it too.

• Advertisement

Yes, theoretically many fights could be Hearns-Hagler. What is your point?

I am saying that I get why this is PPV. I never said it deserves it, but for me, the names and the hype, and yes, the clash of styles makes for something exciting. That's just me.

BTW, I am not a Bellew fan, but compared to BJS he's like Aaron Pryor or Hearns as regards exciting. BJS is a turd as regards excitement.

If there is no messing or fix in place I reckon we get a right tear up. Can it go any other way if all is above board?

Morrison J wrote: »
    By your logic Billy Joe Saunders' fight this weekend could turn into a Hagler-Hearns type fight. Should we all be trying to find a way to make that sound like it's not a gross mismatch too?

I don't think I ever claimed that this March 4 fight was anyway even. If you read my posts I am picking Haye by KO, and early. It is a mismatch to me, but I not foolish enough to think that Bellew could not land a clean and heavy shot and KO Haye. Haye wins this 90/100 times..... I feel that Bellew may have a puncher's chance here, albeit not that confidently. I do not see this going past two rds. Both men fully commit and go for it then Haye by KO is most likely the result.

Yes, theoretically many fights could be Hearns-Hagler. What is your point?

I am saying that I get why this is PPV. I never said it deserves it, but for me, the names and the hype, and yes, the clash of styles makes for something exciting. That's just me.

BTW, I am not a Bellew fan, but compared to BJS he's like Aaron Pryor or Hearns as regards exciting. BJS is a turd as regards excitement.

If there is no messing or fix in place I reckon we get a right tear up. Can it go any other way if all is above board?
    I just don't understand why you accept this tripe as PPV. Why make a case for such an awful product. Shows like this that are ruining boxing.

And I think Bellew is going to run from Haye and try to survive to the latter rounds where he has Haye in deep water. I don't envisage any way its a right tear up unless Bellew fights a stupid fight. If its a tear up it doesn't last half a round.
    but I not foolish enough to think that Bellew could not land a clean and heavy shot and KO Haye. Haye wins this 90/100 times..... I feel that Bellew may have a puncher's chance here, albeit not that confidently. I do not see this going past two rds. Both men fully commit and go for it then Haye by KO is most likely the result.
    Its heavyweight boxing. Both fighters always have a punchers chance to an extent which is why I'm not sure the reason you're using that as a selling point for the fight. Molina has a punchers chance against Joshua too but quite rightly nobody is getting excited about that as its an awful fight. Bellew-Haye is an even bigger mismatch.

And I think Bellew is going to run from Haye and try to survive to the latter rounds where he has Haye in deep water. I don't envisage any way its a right tear up unless Bellew fights a stupid fight. If its a tear up it doesn't last half a round.

I disagree. Bellew is hardly the running type even if he wanted to. His feet are pretty slow. I reckon it's a tear up because Bellew won't be able to avoid it being so. He either folds and doesn't engage and loses early, or he goes hell for leather and has a slim chance to KO Haye. Either way I cannot see this going on for long if Haye engages with commitment from the first bell. Bellew won't be able to get away, and he won't be able to spoil. It's do or die. He pretty much said this himself.

I disagree. Bellew is hardly the running type even if he wanted to. His feet are pretty slow. I reckon it's a tear up because Bellew won't be able to avoid it being so. He either folds and doesn't engage and loses early, or he goes hell for leather and has a slim chance to KO Haye. Either way I cannot see this going on for long if Haye engages with commitment from the first bell. Bellew won't be able to get away, and he won't be able to spoil. It's do or die. He pretty much said this himself.
    Not saying it'll work. The fight won't go past 6 rounds but it's Bellew's only smart tactic really. Anything else is suicide. Bellew on the back foot, afraid to throw punches and just waiting to get sparked makes a pretty poor spectacle. I think he'll come into the fight below 200 lbs and try to gain a speed advantage.

Not saying it'll work. The fight won't go past 6 rounds but it's Bellew's only smart tactic really. Anything else is suicide. Bellew on the back foot, afraid to throw punches and just waiting to get sparked makes a pretty poor spectacle. I think he'll come into the fight below 200 lbs and try to gain a speed advantage.

He's a fat man. I'd be very surprised that he comes in below 200. I'd say 210-215 and Haye 215-220, maybe even 225 lbs. I can't envisage Bellew surviving 6 unless he actually does run. And I mean run....This prediction, of course is based on both men taking the fight seriously. I still don't trust this. Boxing is juts full of shenanigans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Enzo Mac punched a lot harder then Bellew does, not that it mattered because Haye got to him before he could get to Haye, but Bellew isn't some murderous puncher he's got a decent dig put for all Haye's crap David is a proper one puncher KO puncher.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭maverick_21

Bellew got what he deserved yesterday, it's laughable he's trying to play the victim, Bellew is always at it with the hard man act, getting in people's faces pushing and yelling, Haye was right to clock him one, maybe next time he won't act like such an idiot. It was the same stuff against Stevenson, Bellew was all mouth before the fight saying he would do x y and z, what followed was one of the most pathetic displays i'v seen in a world title fight, Haye will destroy Bellew and deep down Bellew knows it, Bellew will look a right idiot after March 4th.

Agree 100%. I actually despise Bellew. He's a total pussy when it comes down to it. Wasn't it after he won the European title that he was crying outside the ring on Sky saying he never believed he would win a Euro title. Then the next fight he is back playing the tough guy calling people out.
    Haye completely owned him in that press conference the other day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Bellew doesn't have the defense to avoid Haye's punches so he can drag things into the late rounds, Haye for a HW is still lightning fast and punches way harder then anyone Bellew will have ever fought, i'll be shocked if this see's the 6th round.

• Advertisement

Enzo Mac punched a lot harder then Bellew does, .

How can you possibly know this? And a lot harder?

Advertisement