Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Messy housemate - wrecking my head!!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

lonsdale wrote: »
    maybe write up a list of house rules and stick it on the fridge, it makes things seem more official and if you get new room mates they will know what the story is from the off

I agree that sitting down and figuring out what rules are important to you and what deal breakers, I think that a lot of people would find a "rule list" on the fridge extremely off putting and might put off some renters. People are already a little wary of renting from owner occupiers and I think this would reinforce their fears that they'd be living with someone who is a "house-nazi".

I think a chat outlining the rules is the best way to go. Equally, it's also an opportunity to gauge potential tenants reaction to the rules and they can ask questions about them.

@Jaysoose, really, really good points. It's hard not to take this personally but jsut remember that the tenant staying in your house is just a sloppy, messy individual without much empathy and manners. However, they'd be like this towards everyone not just you.

Remember what your focus is - to finish the tenancy in a timely and calm manner. To ensure that the room is in the same condition as he left it. To get someone compatible in next.

Charging him for room painting, telling him that you'll be taking money from his deposit before you inspect the room - road to heartache.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

I agree that sitting down and figuring out what rules are important to you and what deal breakers, I think that a lot of people would find a "rule list" on the fridge extremely off putting and might put off some renters. People are already a little wary of renting from owner occupiers and I think this would reinforce their fears that they'd be living with someone who is a "house-nazi".

I think a chat outlining the rules is the best way to go. Equally, it's also an opportunity to gauge potential tenants reaction to the rules and they can ask questions about them.

@Jaysoose, really, really good points. It's hard not to take this personally but jsut remember that the tenant staying in your house is just a sloppy, messy individual without much empathy and manners. However, they'd be like this towards everyone not just you.

Remember what your focus is - to finish the tenancy in a timely and calm manner. To ensure that the room is in the same condition as he left it. To get someone compatible in next.

Charging him for room painting, telling him that you'll be taking money from his deposit before you inspect the room - road to heartache.

Cheers i just dont see why people need to get worked up about what is essentially a business arrangement, all the talk about being rude etc is irrelevant to the main issues with mess etc and smacks a bit of finding things to complain about.

Keep it professional, take a fair deduction for the wall end the tenancy..i dont see any other way to do it. And to be honest whats wrong in saying that you saw the hole in the wall...its your house op i certainly would not be shy in bringing it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 cagney88

doireann08 wrote: »
    hardy eustace, he is very lazy.

sesna, you have it in a nutshell, i am weighing up the following options
    1 - his lease is up the end of august, do i get rid of him and get another tenant ( it took me a while about 6 weeks to rent out room last time)
    2 - do i just put up with it. and take the momey ( he pays E400 per month)... i have said it to him so many times.. i feel like now saying, no mates staying unless you clean

He asked me if it was ok for two of his friends to stay after the fact. To test him ( because on other occasions his mates have been already arrived and he has only informed me when they have been here) I said that my friends were staying this weekend.

He said his mates were coming up from Galway and " he wasn't going to fight" about who had the spare room. Hello I own the house, I think I have first dibs on spare room!!!
    He said they could sleep in living room, they didn't need a bed. I felt like I was backed into a corner, that I would look extremely petty if I said no

I do feel like he is beginning to increasingly take the p*ss

Honestly, you could end up getting a new tenant who takes the p*ss and is constantly late with the rent, weird to the core, has parties and late night music every night, moves their homeless friend in, stands over your bed while you sleep at night..................or you can have a good but lazy tenant who doesn't clean.

I'd take the latter.

Lack of cleanliness drives me crazy and the ignorance is overwhelming but you could be in a much worse position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Jaysoose wrote: »
    Your really off on a tangent with this imaginary scenario...

I prefer to think of it as a rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

To be honest, I don't think you should charge him for re-painting. I think that comes under general wear and tear.
    Although repainting can be caused by wear and tear, in this instance it's repairing the hole in the wall, and painting the entire wall to not make it obvious that the patch of new paint was covering damage.

The person is renting one room. Thus, he doesn't get to have people stay rent-free in another room just because he pays rent for one room.
    cagney88 wrote: »
    Honestly, you could end up getting a new tenant who takes the p*ss and is constantly late with the rent, weird to the core, has parties and late night music every night, moves their homeless friend in, stands over your bed while you sleep at night..................or you can have a good but lazy tenant who doesn't clean.
    Or learn for this one, and ensure that you don't let any crap slide with the next tenant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

stovelid wrote: »
    Maybe the OP could seal off the areas that don't concern him with tape, like crime scenes. Or those cool dog collars that give a electric shock.

:rolleyes:

So you've been in a house share with 3 bedrooms and two tenants before, right? Now, in that scenario was the entire cost of the house split between the two of you evenly? One having a larger bedroom would obviously pay a bit more.
    If you did, then yes, you can both use the spare room as the whole house is being paid for equally by both.

In this scenario, if the OP is paying a greater share (excluding the aforementioned difference for room size) then the person renting a room has no claim on anything other than his bedroom and the communal areas of the kitchen, sitting room(s), bathroom and garden.

But why bother with logic when you can just troll the thread and paint the OP as some sort of unreasonable wagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭doireann08

Thanks Chinafoot!!!
    I don't think I am being unreasonable. I should clarify that I own the house. so P is paying to rent out one room.
    Anyway I have pretty much made the decision to ask him to move out. which I will do this weekend......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

doireann08 wrote: »
    hardy eustace, he is very lazy.

sesna, you have it in a nutshell, i am weighing up the following options
    1 - his lease is up the end of august, do i get rid of him and get another tenant ( it took me a while about 6 weeks to rent out room last time)
    2 - do i just put up with it. and take the momey ( he pays E400 per month)... i have said it to him so many times.. i feel like now saying, no mates staying unless you clean

He asked me if it was ok for two of his friends to stay after the fact. To test him ( because on other occasions his mates have been already arrived and he has only informed me when they have been here) I said that my friends were staying this weekend.

He said his mates were coming up from Galway and " he wasn't going to fight" about who had the spare room. Hello I own the house, I think I have first dibs on spare room!!!
    He said they could sleep in living room, they didn't need a bed. I felt like I was backed into a corner, that I would look extremely petty if I said no

I do feel like he is beginning to increasingly take the p*ss
    i bet that one hundred euro you get from him pays a good bit twoards the morgage, you are getting alot for a room without a bathroom or onsuite, my daughter pay fifty euro a week for ensuite big bedroom , count your blessings, my own son is paying sixty five for a beautiful 2 bedroom ensuite apartment, his friend pays same so they are getting a whole house all mod cons in a new building for one hundred and thirty per week. i do think one hundred is over the top for a room without bathroom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

goat2 wrote: »
    i bet that one hundred euro you get from him pays a good bit twoards the morgage, you are getting alot for a room without a bathroom or onsuite, my daughter pay fifty euro a week for ensuite big bedroom , count your blessings, my own son is paying sixty five for a beautiful 2 bedroom ensuite apartment, his friend pays same so they are getting a whole house all mod cons in a new building for one hundred and thirty per week. i do think one hundred is over the top for a room without bathroom

That depends entirely on the location and the house itself tbh. You can't really say whether or not its "over the top" when you know absolutely nothing about the place.

OP, glad you've come to a decision and I hope it goes as painlessly as possible for you.

Advertisement