Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tramore Valley Park

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

Fyi some of the local residents have started a campaign to try and get the park opened - https://www.facebook.com/OpenTramoreValleyPark

As always the opening of the park is around a year away :(

Health and safety sees €40m park underused

“A number of further capital works need to be carried out, and funding identified for an operational budget prior to any opening. However, it is envisaged that the Park will be open by mid 2018.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Disappointing
    Be a great amenity

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Pitcairn wrote: »
    The were having a weekly 5k run but that has been cancelled because too many people were turning up and causing traffic problems.

There's obviously funding constraints, but it seems laughable that they would cancel the event for being too popular. Fota Resort started charging people for parking (€3) when they have running events to encourage people to car pool. It probably wouldn't be too popular at an otherwise free parkrun, but might contribute towards funding for the park too.
    opus wrote: »
    Rather than opening the park that's sitting idle, looks like the council are planning to start developing a new one :confused:

We were always promised a new park there so I'm delighted it's going ahead. It does seem a bit ridiculous that we can't get funding for the existing park(s) though. I'm glad resident groups are trying to make it a priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Fota Resort started charging people for parking (€3) when they have running events to encourage people to car pool.

Fota charge €3 parking all the time, nothing to do with car pooling or races.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

They used to let you park up by the golf club for free. Now they make you use the car park.

Mid-2018 has already become Autumn 2018 :(

https://twitter.com/cllrkmac/status/907301673479131136

Mid-2018 has already become Autumn 2018 :(

https://twitter.com/cllrkmac/status/907301673479131136

subject to finance being available!

meanwhile over in Ballincollig:
    https://twitter.com/CafeChico1/status/908340111057850369

:(

Might be some movement; they're proposing 70000 in the 2018 budget for it...

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Funding-proposal-to-open-Tramore-Valley-Park-in-2018-29b6f9c6-4f20-4289-a3e5-48c02497fcd8-ds

Fingers crossed

Sounds promising for the park opening next year :)

https://twitter.com/cllrkmac/status/928693564858564609

• Advertisement

Could it really be happening this year :)

https://twitter.com/cllrkmac/status/955514586240897026

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Will this bloody park ever be open? It’s an utter farce at this stage...

One big downside to Cork is that the city doesn’t have a big decent city park like the Phoenix Park in Dublin. Come to think of it, I don’t think ANY of the regional cities have a decent big park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

April 1st is a while off yete

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭ChewyLuey

Based on Google maps it looks about 2.5 times (conservatively) or more the size of the Nemo Rangers complex. It would be a fantastic addition to the city.

JupiterKid wrote: »

Come to think of it, I don’t think ANY of the regional cities have a decent big park.

Kilkenny [City] has a very large park slam bang in the centre.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Kilkenny [City] has a very large park slam bang in the centre.

Kilkenny is not a city in any functional sense. It’s a pretty historical ye olde Medieval touristy Town with a historical city charter that was abolished in 1898.

A city it is not...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

One big downside to Cork is that the city doesn’t have a big decent city park like the Phoenix Park in Dublin. Come to think of it, I don’t think ANY of the regional cities have a decent big park.
    It's a pity we don't have a fantastic green space near the city, something like Fitzgerald Park would be ideal!

I feel your pain :) Dug out the details of the first time I was ever there which was for a 5k race, it was back in Nov '11 and the park was just about to open then!

Kilkenny is not a city in any functional sense. It’s a pretty historical ye olde Medieval touristy Town with a historical city charter that was abolished in 1898.

A city it is not...

Knew this would happen...
    Lets not get into debating what constitutes a city in Ireland, where really Cork could be argued that it's a large town compared to proper cities of the world.

My point being that Kilkenny has a massive park in the centre of things.

.red. wrote: »
    It's a pity we don't have a fantastic green space near the city, something like Fitzgerald Park would be ideal!

you think Fitzgerald Park is not near the city? seriously? Sure perhaps Dubs living in places like Marino and Ringsend are saying the same thing about Cork's Fitzgerald Park :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,785 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

you think Fitzgerald Park is not near the city? seriously? Sure perhaps Dubs living in places like Marino and Ringsend are saying the same thing about Cork's Fitzgerald Park :)

Fitzgerald Park is not near the city, it's in the city!

I would argue that it is also near the city centre but people have odd ideas about what is "near" or "central" in Cork.
    The notion that McCurtain Street or North Main Street are "a bit out of town" is very prevalent when they are both about a minutes walk from St. Patrick's Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,074 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Fitzgerald Park is not near the city, it's in the city!

I would argue that it is also near the city centre but people have odd ideas about what is "near" or "central" in Cork.
    The notion that McCurtain Street or North Main Street are "a bit out of town" is very prevalent when they are both about a minutes walk from St. Patrick's Street.

Fitzgerald Park is much closer to Patrick Street in Cork than the Phoenix Park is to O'Connell Street in Dublin. At least 1km closer.

Was out for a jog in that neck of the woods on Sunday & see someone has taken it into their own hands to 'unofficially' open access to the park!

449661.jpg

City Council planning Tramore Valley bridge
    The site currently opens every weekend to facilitate users of the BMX track which has been laid but it is expected the site will be fully operational and open to the public by possibly September of this year.

It's been possibly opening every year for quite a while now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

What's the deal with it allegedly being open for use of the BMX track? Is this only for some club members or something? Would be nice if they opened it properly before having to wait for the bridges to be built...

What's the deal with it allegedly being open for use of the BMX track? Is this only for some club members or something? Would be nice if they opened it properly before having to wait for the bridges to be built...

AFAIK there's no problem heading in there during the day when the recycling centre is open as know a good few go there for a jog or walking their dogs. In fact, given what someone did to the gate on the pedestrian entrance near Douglas, you can go in there anytime you like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The recycling centre closes too early for me on a Saturday :) I've checked the Douglas entrance (on Half Moon Lane?) a few times on Saturday afternoons and it was closed, but I guess it isn't now...

It's the other pedestrian entrance here that's been doctored near the road in to Willow Park.

It was last Sun I was around there so could be fixed by now of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

It's the other pedestrian entrance here that's been doctored near the road in to Willow Park.

It was last Sun I was around there so could be fixed by now of course!

/Confused, where do you mean down by tramore athletic?

• Advertisement

I mean the one in the map I linked to, not sure where tramore athletic is :confused:

Advertisement