Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan Travel etc...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Hippo

peekachoo wrote: »
    I'll be on my way over in 24 hours! Straight over for a sumo match and then it's rugby rugby rugby for a month :D

Really sorry to be missing the autumn basho, if only the RWC had been brought forward a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Anyone know with the JR pass can you just hop on the next train back to Tokyo after the Scotland game or do you need to book a specific train?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

emc2 wrote: »
    Anyone know with the JR pass can you just hop on the next train back to Tokyo after the Scotland game or do you need to book a specific train?

Just hop on (apart from the express Shinkansen which you can't use).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Yep

There are specific reserved seat carriages and unreserved carriages

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Riskymove wrote: »
    Yep

There are specific reserved seat carriages and unreserved carriages

So you can book but you don't have to.
    Thanks Guys.

• Advertisement

Thanks Guys.

yes also if you book a specific train but end up taking a different train for whatever reason you can still use that ticket on other trains but must use the unreserved seats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Given we'll all be over here any of you fancy going for a few pints beforehand? Even if it's just on the day of the match! Like the first game, Ireland v Scotland.

Is there much there from the day before for the nz south Africa game that's not going to it and going to the fan zone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I'll be there on Friday afternoon. I'm not overly keen on fan zones. Prefer pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

finbarrk wrote: »
    I'll be there on Friday afternoon. I'm not overly keen on fan zones. Prefer pubs.

I'll be in Yokohama Friday afternoon too. I just thought the Fanzone might have a bigger collection of locals for the Japan v Russia game. If we could find a good sports bar though I'd be up for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,405 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Has anyone managed to find any pictures of the fan zones? Wondering would they be the best bet to watch Saturday's games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Our tour operator has said it may be difficult to find places that show games

• Registered Users Posts: 14,068 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Our tour operator has said it may be difficult to find places that show games

Britt/Irish/Ozzy pubs will show them. Heading down to Yokohama early on Saturday to watch the matches before going to NZ v Sth A match.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 stotheototheb

Thanks Guys.

Heading out next week - just on the JR rail booking process, is there a handy app seats can be reserved through or must you do it at an actual train station?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Dav010 wrote: »
    Britt/Irish/Ozzy pubs will show them. Heading down to Yokohama early on Saturday to watch the matches before going to NZ v Sth A match.

We'll be doing something similar alright.

I can't imagine it'll be hard to find them on in the aforementioned venues.

Also, I would say they'll be on in and around the stadium before NZ-SA.

I can't actually believe I'm heading on Thursday!

For those who have been a bit lackadaisical with organizing the passes, you can pick them up in Dublin in the following spots:

JTB Corp.'s
    authorized travel
    agents
    UNIQUE JAPAN TOURS
    54 Dawson Street, 3rd Floor, Dublin 2
    TEL 01-6787008

They quoted me €452 for a 14-day pass

---

Nippon Travel
    Agency's authorized
    travel agents
    Aviareps Ireland
    3 Upper Mount Street, Dublin 2, D02 VX32, Ireland
    TEL 353 1 6633933
    FAX 353 1 6789941

They quoted me €405 for a 14-day pass
    7-day pass is €255

http://www.japanrailpass.net/area_05.html

---

I'm actually splitting my trip now so I'll only need a 7-day one so I'm gonna check that out in the morning when I go into Mount St.

I will update the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

Morning all, heading over tomorrow, anybody in Tokyo at moment could comment on the weather?
    I see on the weather apps it’s in the mid 20’s, i recall form my travels back in the day that sometimes 20’s in Asia can be a bit deceptive and not as warm compared to 20’s at home if you follow me... are we talking shorts and tee shirts folks? Have kids with me so trying to get the clothing right - unfortunately won’t be able to hide in bars from the heat or rain..
    Looks like weather is clearing a bit for Sunday’s game.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

d.pop wrote: »
    Morning all, heading over tomorrow, anybody in Tokyo at moment could comment on the weather?
    I see on the weather apps it’s in the mid 20’s, i recall form my travels back in the day that sometimes 20’s in Asia can be a bit deceptive and not as warm compared to 20’s at home if you follow me... are we talking shorts and tee shirts folks? Have kids with me so trying to get the clothing right - unfortunately won’t be able to hide in bars from the heat or rain..
    Looks like weather is clearing a bit for Sunday’s game.
    Thanks.

Here now. It’s mild and wet. Definitely pack rain jackets. And lots of light layers. Fan zones look alright (if a bit small). Pack shorts and sweatshirts. Maybe a couple of pairs of tracksuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

Batgurl wrote: »
    Here now. It’s mild and wet. Definitely pack rain jackets. And lots of light layers. Fan zones look alright (if a bit small). Pack shorts and sweatshirts. Maybe a couple of pairs of tracksuits.

On rain jackets, you can get decent light ones in the hundred yen stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

Thanks guys. Getting close now.... can’t wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

For those who have been a bit lackadaisical with organizing the passes, you can pick them up in Dublin in the following spots:

---

Nippon Travel
    Agency's authorized
    travel agents
    Aviareps Ireland
    3 Upper Mount Street, Dublin 2, D02 VX32, Ireland
    TEL 353 1 6633933
    FAX 353 1 6789941

They quoted me €405 for a 14-day pass

http://www.japanrailpass.net/area_05.html

---

I'm actually splitting my trip now so I'll only need a 7-day one so I'm gonna check that out in the morning when I go into Mount St.

I will update the thread.

Would be looking to get 14 day pass as well, so id be interested to hear how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Any one who's in tokyo; how expensive in general is food/pints?
    nothing fancy food wise but still a decent feed..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I'll be in Yokohama Friday afternoon too. I just thought the Fanzone might have a bigger collection of locals for the Japan v Russia game. If we could find a good sports bar though I'd be up for that!

I meant I'm in Tokyo on Friday afternoon Mike. Not going out to Yokohama until before Saturdays game. I must check out An Solas Pub.

bigslick wrote: »
    Would be looking to get 14 day pass as well, so id be interested to hear how you get on.

Howya.

Yeah went in and got the 7 day there and then at lunchtime.

It cost me €255. It's not much more expensive than some of the online yokes. But handy all the same if you left it last minute like me.

Only arduous task was the stairs to the top floor.

finbarrk wrote: »
    I meant I'm in Tokyo on Friday afternoon Mike. Not going out to Yokohama until before Saturdays game. I must check out An Solas Pub.

Just had a gander at my tickets there and they say to give an hour to get into the stadium. Just a heads up.

Wheres An Solas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Howya.

Yeah went in and got the 7 day there and then at lunchtime.

It cost me €255. It's not much more expensive than some of the online yokes. But handy all the same if you left it last minute like me.

Only arduous task was the stairs to the top floor.

Can you just walk in and get one or do you need to send them over any information in advance? Would there be an issue getting on for someone else to do you think?

Also going to go the 7 day option. Makes more sense as I'll be spending a few days in Tokyo at either end. Can't wait!

you could pay up to €100 more than buying online, just so you know

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Riskymove wrote: »
    you could pay up to €100 more than buying online, just so you know

From what site did you buy yours do you mind me asking?

I was quoted €284 for a standard 7 day by unique japan tours on Dawson Street.

Raisins wrote: »
    From what site did you buy yours do you mind me asking?

I was quoted €284 for a standard 7 day by unique japan tours on Dawson Street.

jrpass.com

a 7 day ordinary pass is 243 but there is a FedEx fee of 11

so a saving of around €30 with delivery within 2 days

(plus a free eBook on Japan)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 steam iron

Just had a gander at my tickets there and they say to give an hour to get into the stadium. Just a heads up.

Wheres An Solas?

An Solas is in Shibuya Tokyo.

Am hoping to get there also as its only a 2k walk from our accomdation in Shujinku.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Japan Experience is €242 with free next day delivery from FedEx for a 7 day pass

Advertisement