Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan Travel etc...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

deezell wrote: »
    Why would you think I'm offended? Though you sound a bit alright. Why do you assume I took the picture? I didn't. It was posted elsewhere. Get a sense of humour, this is boards, not not Facepuke, it's history in a day.

Cursing about it gives away the being offended part, it’s possible now you have seen the banality of your issue though but you should take your own advice about getting a sense of humour, you are the one who seen the need to post online complaining about what someone is wearing at a match.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭aodomhnaill

We're still on the hunt for final tickets. I've seen one person here having luck with the resale site. Anyone else?

I was reading on another forum that the site inventory seems to be refreshed between 9.30am-11am or so Tokyo time on weekdays. Which is 1.30am-3am GMT, not so brilliant when you're still here in Ireland doing the 9-5. :)

Facebook "Rugby World Cup Japan 2019 Buy and Sell Tickets" group has had a good few tickets for final on sale in the last week or so. Two were on sale this morning on it. Not sure if still available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,518 ✭✭✭deezell

Why would you think I'm offended? Though you sound a bit alright. Why do you assume I took the picture? I didn't. It was posted elsewhere. Get a sense of humour, this is boards, not not Facepuke, it's history in a day.

Cursing about it gives away the being offended part, it’s possible now you have seen the banality of your issue though but you should take your own advice about getting a sense of humour, you are the one who seen the need to post online complaining about what someone is wearing at a match.
    Oh grow up. It was a bit of fun.
    I. was . not. offended. I was highly amused, the guy is not identifiable, and this is boards, not a social media cesspit. Be the one to do that on your high horse, I wont. But then, you are obviously in a position to make a correct judgment on someone, " Person uses profanity tla, therefore person is exhibiting hostile emotions towards subject" . Where'd you get that from, Carl Jung? Ask me nicely and I'll give the original posters comment, funnier thsn mine. Oh wait, you deduced It was I who took the picture.
    Keep it going if you want, I'm 8 hours ahead of you, unless you're here in Japan. I've nothing else to do in between saki and sushi and scrums.
    S**t, That's not you in jersey is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Lads, get your handbags and meet up at dawn somewhere please

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Oh grow up. It was a bit of fun.
    I. was . not. offended. I was highly amused, the guy is not identifiable, and this is boards, not a social media cesspit. Be the one to do that on your high horse, I wont. But then, you are obviously in a position to make a correct judgment on someone, " Person uses profanity tla, therefore person is exhibiting hostile emotions towards subject" . Where'd you get that from, Carl Jung? Ask me nicely and I'll give the original posters comment, funnier thsn mine. Oh wait, you deduced It was I who took the picture.
    Keep it going if you want, I'm 8 hours ahead of you, unless you're here in Japan. I've nothing else to do in between saki and sushi and scrums.
    S**t, That's not you in jersey is it?

It’s seriously sad to think your in Japan wasting your time posting online about peoples clothing choices and then getting triggered when the stupidity of it is pointed out.

Enjoy your holiday.

• Advertisement

Lads, get your handbags and meet up at dawn somewhere please
    I Know, tell that to Mother Threresa.
    Anyway, useful info bulletin. WRC have relaxed rules on bring ins to the Stadia. Food no longer banned (they couldn't cope with the beer hungry masses), so bring in the excellent 7-eleven ready-up meals sushi etc. Liquids are now just restricted, so fruit juice in squeeze bags, small cartons maybe are ok. Its not a ban on alcohol, more on bottles and cans that you might throw. Rugby hip flask types wilk just have to be imaginative, but I seen a few plastic airport miniatures knocking around. (Empty)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Semi related...

Did anyone buy the test fit jersey for the world cup. I was impressed with the first wear but the collar has gone completely ruffuled after a few days and looks ****. I saw a few others the same and also some players. Might send it back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Very little about me is "test fit"

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

Anybody staying in or able to recommend any Hostels in Tokyo? Around the Roppongi/Akasaka area maybe.

The APA Pride hotel next to Akasaka town centre is spot on. Its great value for single traveller, though a couple would manage in the small room. Has a really good value restaurant,and theres great choice in the town without it being mental. Right next to metro access to Marunuchi, Chiyoda, Namboku and Ginzo Lines. Lots of other hotels in the town, this one just on the edge next to the Japanese Senate or the like, and the Prime ministers residence. If it's raining you can pop down the Metro entrance at the Capitol hotel next to it, walk underground to various exits in the town centre. Don't be put off by the "Pride" in the name, it's not specifically for rainbow people, just the Japanese way of using English words as names, like the Honda Dunk, or the Toyota Deliboy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Blisterman wrote: »
    Does anyone over there know if there are many non-irish/english pubs showing the matches? I'd be much more interested in watching matches in locals' bars if they're showing them.

There is sa great wee spot near where we were staying in Kuramae (Taito City/Tokyo) called ACE Sports Bar. It's a tiny little gem.

Yer man in there has had all games in thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Hippo

Big Ciaran McManus! No matter where you go in the world, you're always likely to see some lad in an Offaly shirt. I'm sure there was a Mayo one not far away.

You're 100% correct about the Mayo shirt, saw one ten minutes away from the stadium!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

Chris871 wrote: »
    Anybody staying in or able to recommend any Hostels in Tokyo? Around the Roppongi/Akasaka area maybe.

Cousin stayed in DJ hostel in Ginza and said it was decent. I stayed in Wise Owls before and thought it was decent.

All the hostels are absolutely spotless so you should be fine, atmosphere lacking in them all but aside from that all good.

Hippo wrote: »
    You're 100% correct about the Mayo shirt, saw one ten minutes away from the stadium!

Yup. Spotted Kerry, Dublin and Sligo jerseys also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

Yup. Spotted Kerry, Dublin and Sligo jerseys also.

I met a guy in a Westmeath jersey. Sound lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Mountain_Surfer

For the folks out there - whats the going rate for a beer at the games? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

For the folks out there - whats the going rate for a beer at the games? Cheers

I think it was between ¥700 and ¥1000 depending on where you got it. Prices varied by outlet so look at a few places. We ended up getting most of ours from the Heineken ppl who had bags on their backs and were selling them from our seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Batgurl wrote: »
    I think it was between ¥700 and ¥1000 depending on where you got it. Prices varied by outlet so look at a few places. We ended up getting most of ours from the Heineken ppl who had bags on their backs and were selling them from our seats.

how much were they at seats?
    Cheesr!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

Cousin stayed in DJ hostel in Ginza and said it was decent. I stayed in Wise Owls before and thought it was decent.

All the hostels are absolutely spotless so you should be fine, atmosphere lacking in them all but aside from that all good.

Cheers I'll have a look at them

I've stayed in a few hostels about Japan and cant fault any of them on cleanliness.

Just wouldn't mind finding one with a decent atmosphere and a good crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

bennyl10 wrote: »
    how much were they at seats?
    Cheesr!

I think they were ¥700 for 330mls but it’s a bit of a blur so apologies if that’s wrong.

We went out to the stadium about 2-3 hours before the game and bought cans in the 7/11 and minimart and just drinking in the street. Police were fine with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Anyone recommend a pub in Kyoto, been in a couple of crap ones near train station.

No, but this is the smallest sports bar in Akasaka Tokyo. 5 stools inside, 3 outside

Dav010 wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a pub in Kyoto, been in a couple of crap ones near train station.

So if you download the lonely planet guides app and download the Kyoto guide then you get to see the best bars in the area and bookmark em, I would do that. Some really cool places on that.

Walked past the Dublin last night and looked pretty busy. We also went to one of them all you can drink Karaoke places and was good craic.

Walked past the Dublin last night and looked pretty busy. We also went to one of them all you can drink Karaoke places and was good craic.

Aaaah, I was in that back in 2007 when it was The Hill of Tara. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

in case people don't know I stumbled across the concept of "All you can drink" deals in Japanese restaurants
    Nomihodai is also an important word to know because it’s Japanese for ‘all-you-can-drink’. This is more common than you think and certain areas like Roppongi have loads of Nomihodai places where for ¥1000 you can drink til you stink…wait, that’s gross.

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/articles/a-broke-ass-guide-to-drinking-in-tokyo
    Between 2 and 7 p.m., 100 yen will get you 10 minutes of all-you-can-drink alcoholic beverages, with 10 minute extensions costing an additional 100 yen each. The menu for the deal includes Asashi Super Dry draft beer (in large, medium, or small glasses), whisky highballs, shochu, shochu sour cocktails (lemon and grapefruit flavors), plum wine cocktails, and finally, red or white wine (in glasses or decanters).

yes that's around one euro for 10 mins of free drink
    https://soranews24.com/2017/02/09/amazing-tokyo-restaurant-offers-all-you-can-drink-beer-plans-starting-at-less-than-a-buck/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Riskymove wrote: »
    in case people don't know I stumbled across the concept of "All you can drink" deals in Japanese restaurants

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/articles/a-broke-ass-guide-to-drinking-in-tokyo

I

yes that's around one euro for 10 mins of free drink
    https://soranews24.com/2017/02/09/amazing-tokyo-restaurant-offers-all-you-can-drink-beer-plans-starting-at-less-than-a-buck/

Is this still a thing?
    Links from 2017

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭aodomhnaill

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Is this still a thing?
    Links from 2017

its not a thing, its what they offer at their gatherings/parties nationwide. for the japs Its more about food than the gargle and the social element rather than getting as f*cked up as possible so they don't actually drink that much so it works out well for the restaurant/izaykaya. Then enter our breed and they will watch in horror as one individual of a group and all the rest will drink about 5 litres of beer in 2 hours and eat one portion of fried chicken the equivalent of a box of chicken nuggets for a grand total of about €20 each. seller beware...

key word is "nomi-hodai". few places during world cup in 2002 just refused it so I wouldn't be surprised if it would happen again, but locals will get it.

Nomi hodai karaoke is where it is at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

Batgurl wrote: »
    I think they were ¥700 for 330mls but it’s a bit of a blur so apologies if that’s wrong.

We went out to the stadium about 2-3 hours before the game and bought cans in the 7/11 and minimart and just drinking in the street. Police were fine with it.

Yeah, you can drink on the street no bother in Japan. All the convenience stores sell beer and hard lemonade (that stuff is 9%!!!) and there are vending machines that sell beer too. You can't smoke on the street though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,413 ✭✭✭finbarrk

The beer in Yokohama was JPY 700 (€6) for a 330 ml can. It was fine. That was from the ladies going around to the seats. They had to pour it into a plastic glass before you could take it. It was the better option rather than queuing up outside in the concourse. A can in the supermarket about 1/4 the price.
    There was nobody stopping anyone smoking on the street Mike. Or at the back of the stands in the open air.

Advertisement