Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What are things/events that you expected to happen when you got older?

Options
  • 15-07-2019 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,185 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in my late twenties now and when I was going to school I thought we would have had flying cars and the Polar Ice caps would have melted going from what some of my teachers said at primary school.

What are things/events that you expected to happen when you got older?

Comments

Thought I'd be happy..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Flying cars also.

President Hillary Clinton.

Really. One of my earliest political memories is the inauguration of Bill Clinton, and people just talking about Hillary saying "There's the first female President of the States"

Might still happen.... heh

(Cries of Lock Her Up! Lock Her Up!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Not a whole lot. I wasn’t disappointed!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,185 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I also thought that once you went to college/etc that bullying stopped and people were much nicer to one another!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Its weird but I always thought once men hit their 30s they became very mature and stopped having fun the way they used to but that's not the case for a lot of guys from 30-40, they still laugh at fart jokes, they have a great sense of fun and are still able to laugh at themselves. Its a good trait don't get me wrong because a lot of people are old before their time, ie 22 but very serious. I think being young at heart is very attractive.

Haha.. yeah, I thought people would be fair, like, not be selfish or mean, and not tell lies..

Stupid kid..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

That I’d know what I wanted to be when I grew up.

Hadn’t happened, still looking and winging it in the meantime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I thought by the time I was middle aged technology would be doing all the work and we'd have so much spare time that we wouldn't know what to do with it. Now I'm retired and I expected life to slow down, and me to slow down with it, but that hasn't happened either.

And still nobody lives on the moon. :(

Yeah, people don't actually grow up anymore..a lot are just large children..

• Advertisement

I think being young at heart is very attractive.

Cardio is your friend

Sprouting grey hairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Jet packs or affordable one man space ships.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Having to get up in the middle of the night to take a piss.

She still thinks that’s 7-Up in the bottle

• Registered Users Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I thought transhumanism would have been more developed by now to the point where it wouldn’t be unusual to see Borg-like humans and sophisticated androids or human hybrids among the general population, given that the first “test-tube baby” made world headlines in 1978!

As a child I collected a science and technology magazine called Quest which had all sorts of futuristic predictions in it and I remember one being that humans of the future would evolve with smaller jaws and less teeth due to our nutrition being available in pill form, but I imagine it was based upon this -

Food's Role in the Evolution of the Human Jaw

At least they managed to put castor oil in pill form as opposed to the way we used have to take liquid with a spoon and only wish it came in pill form because it tasted awful!

Am I even older at 41? Ray darcy keeps saying 79 is no age at all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Archeron

I thought by now we'd all live in a post apocalyptic wasteland where everybody is ruled by demeted half naked folk with funny hairstyles and all the vehicles are muscle cars from the seventies with bits of plane glued onto them. Disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Cryptopagan

President Hillary Clinton.

Really. One of my earliest political memories is the inauguration of Bill Clinton, and people just talking about Hillary saying "There's the first female President of the States"

Might still happen.... heh

(Cries of Lock Her Up! Lock Her Up!)

They’re still probably closer to a female President than we are to a female Taoiseach!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Bobblehats wrote: »

he is deluding himself..trust me on that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭mountain

Pay no attention to anything that over paid clown says.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I always thought in my twenties that my generation would be a new fresh wave in politics and a more open way of doing things would come about as the internet and media age would make everything much more transparent.
    But I'm 46 now and still can't believe that TD's aren't made resign straight away when they are caught and corruption and nepotism is still the way things are done.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Fcuk it.
    No male on my fathers side has seen past 72, I’ve developed the exact same heart complaint that killed my dad suddenly at 66.

No way I’m relying on living to 79. I’ve taken an easier job which while it may be considerably lesser paid than I could ge, it’s piss easy, secure and it affords me huge flexibility to do lots of stuff I like and spend plenty of time with my kids. I plan to retire as soon as I can, before 60 if possible and just enjoy a simple life, travel Europe in a campervan is top priority.

_Brian wrote: »
    No male on my fathers side has seen past 72, I’ve developed the exact same heart complaint that killed my dad suddenly at 66.

My dad was 50. My uncle was 50. When people are telling you you’re the image at their services it’s time to hit the cardio hard

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Fcuk it.

No way I’m relying on living to 79. I’ve taken an easier job which while it may be considerably lesser paid than I could ge, it’s piss easy, secure and it affords me huge flexibility to do lots of stuff I like and spend plenty of time with my kids. I plan to retire as soon as I can, before 60 if possible and just enjoy a simple life, travel Europe in a campervan is top priority.

Wise choices! I am amazed at my advanced age given my health status. So am adapting... easily ... always hated the "mutton dressed as lamb " approach to aging. a gentling, reflective time. Smelling the roses and watching the birds and flowers, enjoying my cats and my knitting and garden.

Yes, the improvements in design of adult nappies has been incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

A few months away from the year 2020 and it’s nothing as visually futuristic as I thought it would be as a kid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Fcuk it.

My father only made it to 54 and my brothers to 42 and 46. That's why I made sure I'd retire early and enjoy living. I never thought 25 years ago that I'd get past 75 but not only did I but I have a full active life with plenty of hobbies, great to see with the grandchildren and a fantastic quality of life. So, certainly retire as soon as possible but don't do it as a wind down but as means of living fully.

80 is not what it used to be. So, go and enjoy! Don't let age slow you down.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

A few months away from the year 2020 and it’s nothing as visually futuristic as I thought it would be as a kid

Yeah I always remember thinking the year 2020 sounded incredibly futuristic and far off..can't believe we're almost there :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Its weird but I always thought once men hit their 30s they became very mature and stopped having fun the way they used to but that's not the case for a lot of guys from 30-40, they still laugh at fart jokes, they have a great sense of fun and are still able to laugh at themselves. Its a good trait don't get me wrong because a lot of people are old before their time, ie 22 but very serious. I think being young at heart is very attractive.

I’m 48 and just asked my 12 year old sons google home what a fart sounds like. We dreamt of mobile phones, email and the internet when I was his age, so this is the pinacle of human development for me

Advertisement