Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are things/events that you expected to happen when you got older?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I’m 48 and just asked my 12 year old sons google home what a fart sounds like. We dreamt of mobile phones, email and the internet when I was his age, so this is the pinacle of human development for me

What?

Most of that stuff was there at the time if not in wide circulation. And the smart phones, while good, have just integrated technology that was always there. In fact the iPhone was dismissed as a toy at the time.

We expected much better than an voice assistant that could tell you what a fart was, 2001 the movie had a computer that was self aware and could pass the Turing test. And trips to the moon and beyond. That’s what people in the past expected of the future, a future that is now 20 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I also thought that once you went to college/etc that bullying stopped and people were much nicer to one another!

I thought adults grew up.

_Brian wrote: »
    Fcuk it.
    No male on my fathers side has seen past 72, I’ve developed the exact same heart complaint that killed my dad suddenly at 66.

No way I’m relying on living to 79. I’ve taken an easier job which while it may be considerably lesser paid than I could ge, it’s piss easy, secure and it affords me huge flexibility to do lots of stuff I like and spend plenty of time with my kids. I plan to retire as soon as I can, before 60 if possible and just enjoy a simple life, travel Europe in a campervan is top priority.

Not a bad philosophy but baring a disaster in the economy or in health care life expectancy should continue to increase for a little while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Vlthap

I also thought that once you went to college/etc that bullying stopped and people were much nicer to one another!

Unfortunately not. I have even witnessed relentless bullying in work situations. It's awful really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

What?

Most of that stuff was there at the time if not in wide circulation. And the smart phones, while good, have just integrated technology that was always there. In fact the iPhone was dismissed as a toy at the time.

I’m 48 now. Wasn’t too many of this stuff around in 1983.

• Advertisement

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I’m 48 now. Wasn’t too many of this stuff around in 1983.

The internet (arpanet), personal and home computers and email was around in some fashion or other.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,218 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I expected to turn in an 'adult' adult. Still waiting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

amcalester wrote: »
    That I’d know what I wanted to be when I grew up.

Hadn’t happened, still looking and winging it in the meantime.

"The most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives. Some of the most interesting 40 year olds I know still don't"

Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's free to wear sunscreen.

FitzShane wrote: »
    I expected to turn in an 'adult' adult. Still waiting!

I expected to turn into Steve McQueen. Hasn't happened, despite watching 'Papillon' a dozen times. I can still get the butterfly tattoo, a small consolation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

Mayo for Sam.

• Advertisement

Mayo for Sam.

Mayo, god help us.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Hoverboards were supposed to be available in the noughties!!

Limpy wrote: »
    Hoverboards were supposed to be available in the noughties!!

Hover boards on the moon, while we talk to HAL.

Definitely didn't expect everyone to be going around taking pictures of themselves anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

That everything would be "cool" and life would be easy, how wrong I was!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

That you'll become an adult and know what you're doing. No one knows what they're doing. Your parents winged it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

When I was about 15 I thought that by the 2020s robots would be doing most of the domestic chores and that space travel would be widespread and accessible to many. Neither have happened yet but there have been some very impressive advances in medicine and communications technology.

I am 44 now, my dad lived to 74 (died of pancreatic cancer in 2015). My mum died very young of a massive heart attack at 46. My granddad lived to be 92. I have my heart checked regularly and try to keep as fit as I can. After spending the best part of a decade in a wilderness of depression, anxiety and drink, I am going to make the very most of my life and achieve and experience as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,238 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Vlthap wrote: »
    Unfortunately not. I have even witnessed relentless bullying in work situations. It's awful really.

It's a massive lie that a lot are told growing up that the bullies/unkind people/etc make nothing of themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

It's a massive lie that a lot are told growing up that the bullies/unkind people/etc make nothing of themselves.

Sadly they always seem to be the ones who prosper because they're not afraid to walk on top of everyone else to do it.

Advertisement