Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fossil Sport Smartwatch: £62.30

Options

Comments

ted1 wrote: »
    Would gladly accept a larger watch.

I’m using the Fitbit charge 2, it piggybacks off the phones GPS. Battery lasts shy of a week. The new charge 4 has an inbuilt GPS battery lasts a fraction of the time. Not a chance I’d upgrade.

So if you want to track a run, you have to carry your phone. Might as well just ditch the watch altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Basil3 wrote: »
    So if you want to track a run, you have to carry your phone. Might as well just ditch the watch altogether.

admittedly he probably gets benefit of reading heart rate, but yes it would bug me having a phone strapped to my arm throughout a run... watch-only is the way to go and just have a few chargepoints dotted around house for occassional charge top ups...or put watch in clock mode to extend life if charging is an issue

mrcheez wrote: »
    admittedly he probably gets benefit of reading heart rate, but yes it would bug me having a phone strapped to my arm throughout a run... watch-only is the way to go and just have a few chargepoints dotted around house for occassional charge top ups...or put watch in clock mode to extend life if charging is an issue

Wrist based heart readings are rubbish anyway. It only works well if you're completely still and resting. Wouldn't trust them for exercise at all. If I was serious about heart rate training, I'd be using a chest strap.

Wrist based heart readings are rubbish anyway. It only works well if you're completely still and resting. Wouldn't trust them for exercise at all. If I was serious about heart rate training, I'd be using a chest strap.

works well for me on the bike or paddle boarding...perhaps just need to strap it tighter while swinging arms running?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

The blue is down to £99 on amazon, in case anyone missed out on this initially

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07N9G5K19/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_rjMTEbX96E1FT

Edit: or €110 in Curries

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/smart-tech/smart-tech/smart-watches-and-fitness/smart-watches/fossil-sport-ftw4021-smartwatch-blue-43-mm-10193245-pdt.html

I was actually looking for a spare charger, would anyone be able to point me to the best place to get one? Think I'd like one in work too

• Advertisement

works well for me on the bike or paddle boarding...perhaps just need to strap it tighter while swinging arms running?

Yeah, I wouldn't go any tighter than I have it. The reality is wrist based readings aren't that accurate, but it does give you a reasonable idea of what you're at.

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/smart-tech/smart-tech/smart-watches-and-fitness/smart-watches/fossil-sport-ftw4021-smartwatch-blue-43-mm-10193245-pdt.html

I was actually looking for a spare charger, would anyone be able to point me to the best place to get one? Think I'd like one in work too

Curry's advertise is as having 'contactless payments via Google Pay' as well.

I got a dual pack of chargers on Amazon..can't link as I'm typing this on my Firestick! Recommend the dual pack so that you have 3 chargers. One for home, one for work, and one to carry in car or bag or whatever, just in case you are stuck. Have this setup for my Huawei and I've never run out of battery as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭paddy19

https://www.fossil.com/en-gb/products/fossil-sport-smartwatch-smoky-blue-silicone/FTW4021.html

Smokey blue or red still available for £89.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I bring my phone to listen to Spotify. Also the watch records heart rate. The phone doesn’t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭ted1

admittedly he probably gets benefit of reading heart rate, but yes it would bug me having a phone strapped to my arm throughout a run...

Oh good no, arm holders are a big no no. Running belts all the way , it’ll take keys, phone , gels whatever you need. You don’t realise you are wearing one.

https://www.elverys.ie/elverys/en/Other-Accessories/Nike-Lean-Waistpack%2C-Black/p/000000000001045888

ick... prefer to just head out with watch and bluetooth earbuds, and pair of shorts/tshirt

No extra weight

I got a dual pack of chargers on Amazon..can't link as I'm typing this on my Firestick! Recommend the dual pack so that you have 3 chargers. One for home, one for work, and one to carry in car or bag or whatever, just in case you are stuck. Have this setup for my Huawei and I've never run out of battery as a result.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SPGUARD-Compatible-Julianna-Charging-Replacement/dp/B07WJRX3JB/

These are the ones I got and work perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

Got Play music working last night. Handy enough just added the browser extension and uploaded some MP3 albums. Just tap download when viewing them then on the watch. Worked well for a 40minute walk with the dog. Battery was already low when I went out and nearly dead when I got back.
    Charging is slower than expected it's been charging 50minutes now and only at 63%. Think I'll have to get into the habit of charging it for an hour when I get up in the morning. I don't want to leave it on charge overnight.

Anyone get the sleep tracking working on it? Apparently it needs another 3rd party app, you'd think it would be included in the google fit app. Imagine with them buying fitbit their app will be amalgamated or at least supported down the line.

This isn't going to replacing my Fitbit inspire hr for health tracking though. I wear that on my right wrist 24/7 Has a 4/5 day battery life continuous HR monitoring. 10min charge will get it through the day. Hopefully the next gen Fitbits with WearOS combine the best of both!

Any recommendations for screen protectors? These seem well reviewed
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07QNVCBCF/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1OS4RSDBRX1HE&psc=1

Ryath wrote: »
    Got Play music working last night. Handy enough just added the browser extension and uploaded some MP3 albums. Just tap download when viewing them then on the watch. Worked well for a 40minute walk with the dog. Battery was already low when I went out and nearly dead when I got back.
    Charging is slower than expected it's been charging 50minutes now and only at 63%. Think I'll have to get into the habit of charging it for an hour when I get up in the morning. I don't want to leave it on charge overnight.

Anyone get the sleep tracking working on it? Apparently it needs another 3rd party app, you'd think it would be included in the google fit app. Imagine with them buying fitbit their app will be amalgamated or at least supported down the line.

This isn't going to replacing my Fitbit inspire hr for health tracking though. I wear that on my right wrist 24/7 Has a 4/5 day battery life continuous HR monitoring. 10min charge will get it through the day. Hopefully the next gen Fitbits with WearOS combine the best of both!

Any recommendations for screen protectors? These seem well reviewed
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07QNVCBCF/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1OS4RSDBRX1HE&psc=1

That's what I've ordered. I'm sure they'll do the trick.

Sleep tracking really is a waste of time in my experience. That said, there's an app called Sleep as Android which is highly rated:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.urbandroid.sleep

I found it quite funny listening to the occasional conversations I'd have with myself in my sleep, but not much else. Sleep trackers aren't very accurate, and can't really track different levels of sleep, but I guess they're useful if you think getting x amount of hours sleep per night is important.

Brilliant, thanks for that :)

Just got back from a 2 hour paddle board session. GPS tracking and fitness tracking all worked fantastic and the lines criss-crossing the water on the Google Fit app look hilarious.

I'd offer to have the OP's babies, but ...eh...being a bloke this might be hard so I'll just say Thanks OP!!!

just bought this watch to mess around with wear os apps

not expecting it to be that great as a sports tracker device, mainly due to small battery life

will compare it to a garmin gps and chest heart-rate strap when I get it

for sleep-tracking I find Huawei / Honor bands/watches and their "trusleep" tracking to be the best

I find their breakdown of deep sleep and REM sleep to be a reasonable approximation based on how you feel the next day
    TruSleep sleep works by measuring your heart rate and then analyzing your normal sinus rhythm and breathing rate. Your watch uses this data to measure your sleep quality by identifying when your body enters and leaves the different stages of sleep, including Deep sleep, Light sleep, REM sleep, and Awake.

you get breakdowns like this

mX8zYC8.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Hwo do these work with iPhone?

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭dingbat

Just got back from a 2 hour paddle board session. GPS tracking and fitness tracking all worked fantastic and the lines criss-crossing the water on the Google Fit app look hilarious.

I'd offer to have the OP's babies, but ...eh...being a bloke this might be hard so I'll just say Thanks OP!!!
    Very kind offer. I'll accept the Thanks part :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭dingbat

I've been playing around with it a good bit. Tracking runs using Google Fit, Adidas Runtastic, and Nike Run Club which is probably putting serious strain on the RAM.

Wear Casts works just fine offline. For music Google Play is annoying but at least it works offline too (i.e. without phone).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Got my yesterday. I think it looks great. Do you guys leave it blue tooth connected to phone all time or foes that drain battery too much?

Got my yesterday. I think it looks great. Do you guys leave it blue tooth connected to phone all time or foes that drain battery too much?

Had mine a few days now and I'm delighted with it

I'm not doing much at the moment but I have the battery mode on "daily", so always connected. Today, after 14hrs, it's still on 55% :)

It's a smart watch, if you want it to function as one you should keep it connected.

Anyone have an issue getting "Tilt to wake" working?

Maybe it's the watch face I have but the only way I can light up the screen is by pressing the power button, rather than rotating my wrist.

Anyone have an issue getting "Tilt to wake" working?

Maybe it's the watch face I have but the only way I can light up the screen is by pressing the power button, rather than rotating my wrist.

Do you have the watch set to the correct wrist that you wear it on?

Do you have the watch set to the correct wrist that you wear it on?

Didn't know that was an option :) .. is that under Settings -> Gestures ?

Didn't know that was an option :) .. is that under Settings -> Gestures ?

I'm not actually sure, but it's usually in the setup. I wear mine on my right wrist, so always need to set that in order for it to detect me lifting it up to look at it. I'd say it's left by default, so if you wear on your left it's probably not an issue.

It doesn't bother me too much as it effectively saves my battery from preventing the watch activating all the time

I can still see the time, though rather faint.

EDIT: Silly me, just checked and the Tilt to Wake option is disabled under Settings -> Gestures ... I'd assumed that was enabled by default

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Anyone try google pay on it yet?

Advertisement