Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ideas for 4x4

• 16-11-2019 8:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get a 4x4 for towing & general farm work. It will only ever be 5-6 weanlings or a couple of cows at a time. My commute is 90km a day too for work then on top so trying to get something with semi decent mpg & crew cab/ back seats for kids!

I like the L200 but the Mrs wants something less farmery. What are people using outside the normal pickup, land cruisers etc? Are the Tiguan or Kuga 4x4 2.5t towing version any good? Budget 10-15k

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

I'm looking to get a 4x4 for towing & general farm work. It will only ever be 5-6 weanlings or a couple of cows at a time. My commute is 90km a day too for work then on top so trying to get something with semi decent mpg & crew cab/ back seats for kids!

I like the L200 but the Mrs wants something less farmery. What are people using outside the normal pickup, land cruisers etc? Are the Tiguan or Kuga 4x4 2.5t towing version any good? Budget 10-15k

What size trailer how you ?

Have a SWB landcruiser 3.0 D4D and can’t fault it, if you need seats in the back I would get it hard to look past a crewcab landcruiser

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

josephsoap wrote: »
    What size trailer how you ?

Have a SWB landcruiser 3.0 D4D and can’t fault it, if you need seats in the back I would get it hard to look past a crewcab landcruiser

The towing capacity may be a limiting factor regarding some of the more SUV type 4x4's. A couple of cow's or 5 weanlings will be 1200-1500kgs plus the weight of the trailer. Either way your talking circa 2 ton and I don't think there's many SUV's rated for those sort of towing weights.

Fuel efficiency is going to be another stumbling block, 90km is a fair distance daily. I had a lwb D4D Land cruiser and found it hard on fuel, 22-25 mpg and less if towing. Having changed to a 08 Ford ranger I'm averaging circa 30 mpg doing the same driving.

I don't know what to recommend but I'd definitely take towing ability, fuel efficiency and comfort into consideration before committing to any potential purchase. On the face of it a crewcab such as a Hilux, L200, Ranger ect would seem the best bet at least imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

The towing capacity may be a limiting factor regarding some of the more SUV type 4x4's. A couple of cow's or 5 weanlings will be 1200-1500kgs plus the weight of the trailer. Either way your talking circa 2 ton and I don't think there's many SUV's rated for those sort of towing weights.

Fuel efficiency is going to be another stumbling block, 90km is a fair distance daily. I had a lwb D4D Land cruiser and found it hard on fuel, 22-25 mpg and less if towing. Having changed to a 08 Ford ranger I'm averaging circa 30 mpg doing the same driving.

I don't know what to recommend but I'd definitely take towing ability, fuel efficiency and comfort into consideration before committing to any potential purchase. On the face of it a crewcab such as a Hilux, L200, Ranger ect would seem the best bet at least imo.

Yeah it’s a fair bit daily, you would be talking €60 of diesel a week @ 30 MPG just for the commute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

After a couple of l200s here and love them. The bang you get for your buck compared to a Land Cruiser or ranger is a no brainer.

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    After a couple of l200s here and love them. The bang you get for your buck compared to a Land Cruiser or ranger is a no brainer.

I've no real experience of the L200's although there getting very popular in recent years. The comment regarding value for money is a valid point also. Toyota and particularly Land cruiser's are over priced imo, a decent 10 year old cruiser will be the best part of €15,000 and it's a lot of money for what it is. The likes of a Mitsubishi, Isuzu will be better value and should do as good a good particularly in lighter work like what the OP has mentioned above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

I've no real experience of the L200's although there getting very popular in recent years. The comment regarding value for money is a valid point also. Toyota and particularly Land cruiser's are over priced imo, a decent 10 year old cruiser will be the best part of €15,000 and it's a lot of money for what it is. The likes of a Mitsubishi, Isuzu will be better value and should do as good a good particularly in lighter work like what the OP has mentioned above.

Well if I spend 40k or 5k on a jeep I'm still going drive it through fields of cattle it will get banged up or bumped into.

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Well if I spend 40k or 5k on a jeep I'm still going drive it through fields of cattle it will get banged up or bumped into.

My thoughts exactly, I rather the jeep gets the hardship than myself. It was one of the reasons I changed to a pickup​ from a jeep, I don't mind walking but carrying stuff isn't good for you in the long term. At least you can trade the jeep if it gets real battered but you only get the one back, set of hips, knee's ect. I use the jeep as required and try to mind it where possible but it still gets lots of abuse and does whatever is required on the day. I don't know could I stomach paying €50,000 for a cruiser to do the same thing, I see the new DMax is €27,000 for a single cab. I'd be tempted the next time around, keep it for 5 years and trade again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭bigroad

What about a Hyundai Santa fe or kia Sorento. 2.2 crdi.can get up to 40mpg on a run and I hey have decent towing ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,957 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

bigroad wrote: »
    What about a Hyundai Santa fe or kia Sorento. 2.2 crdi.can get up to 40mpg on a run and I hey have decent towing ability.

The Santa Fe I'd back at 32 mpg. Your commute is 500/ week. Expect to have another 150/ week on general running around without allowing for farming milage. You be doing 35k or 22k miles. I presume you are looking for something in the 10-12k bracket.

The RAV and Kuga will both do 40 mpg. Both will tow 2 ton.. The Kuga's has an issue with it rear suspension and can wear tyres after high milage and a bit of towing. VW Tiguan is similar but tends to give issues, Kia Sportage is another option but is heavier on fuel back a bit with 35 mpg. Suzuki Vitara is another option but fuel is again mid 30's. Finally you have the Honda Civic it about 38 mpg.

Price wise the Honda is the most expensive cat tax.is 750/ year.a 2010 one with 170-200km will cost 9-11k hard enough to come across

RAV 2010 2.2L with 390/570 tax 7-8k will buy you a clean one.

Tiguan hard to get a lowish milage one but plenty of them around 7-10 k will buy uoumone Tax is 570 I think on 2010 one.

Sportage you have to go to 2011 to get newer model. 7-10k will get a clean low milage 2L , Tax is 570.
    Vitara are very hard to get tax is 750 prices are hard to gauge but a low milage one 2010-2012 7-10k.

Pick is the RAV IMO especially if doing high milage. Lads that are not doing high milage but you are looking at 1350 in fuel costs alone between a LC and a RAV or similar type smaller jeeps and at least 1k over crew cabs of that age

A lot depends on how much you need 4wd or is it for towing you need it.

Slava Ukrainii

As usual Bass has put a handle on the various options regarding all things SUV. I think the OP has to first decide whether it's an actual "jeep" he requires or if an SUV type vehicle will fulfill his needs.

Bass mentioned 4wd and whether you need it for towing, if you're intending leaving the tar road then 4wd is a must imo. If towing heavy loads then you'll need a low box to save the clutch, I don't know if many of the SUV's have a low box. The older Vitara's had but I don't know if this is true of the newer models. I had to load cattle on a hilly, grassy laneway this morning and only for the 4wl I would have been ringing someone with a tractor for a tow. Fuel efficiency will be a sacrifice if buying a more full fat jeep but it will bring it's own advantages as regards off road ability and towing. If you're spending the money it's as well to future proof and buy something slightly ahead of what you think necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,957 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

As Albert has said OP the first thing you need to decide is how much you need the 4wd. IMO unless you are going into grassy lanes and steep gravley hills most can manage without full 4wd.

If you need a low box then really from a cat tax point of view a crew cab is the only option. However if all your towing is on roads 4wd even on an SUV is not really necessary.. I know no mart where I need 4wd to access. In most cases it not really necessary when towing at the level you intend sub 2 ton it may involve unloading cattle at a field gate rather than carrying them into a field .

I disagree with Albert on future proofing. With your level of milage any SUV you buy especially back in the years will only last you 5-6 years at most as after 5 years you will have put 160k km on it. Taking a small jeep with 180-200 k up into the mid 300's. For regular commutes it more than likely have got unreliable at that stage and often is more efficient to sell on for 1-3k and upgrade those 5-6 years again.

Even crew cabs will be rough after that milage and a seated LC or similar large jeep is not an option. If towing to fragmented land a trailer for the tractor is often a good option

Slava Ukrainii

By future proofing I meant buying a vehicle that will do what's intended of it on a daily basis with relative ease. The OP is doing a fair commute each day and reliability will be king no matter what he buys. I don't see the point in buying something that's just about up to the task and tearing the arse out of it every time something​slightly heavier than normal is undertaken. Any vehicle that is working at it's limit or near it constantly is prone to failure and with a commute each day you need something reliable, sit in, turn the key and away.

For all the hate that jeeps get regarding fuel efficiency and the like I've only ever encountered one man who changed back to a van because and I quote "you'd be robbed keeping diesel in that hoor of a thing". He bought a brand new 141 caddy and proceeded to wreck it within 18 months because he expected it to do what a Land cruiser did with relative ease every day. After seeing how the caddy fared he went out and bought a brand new Hilux and is now on his second and swears by a jeep. Yes there harder ran and maintained than a car or van but if you've work for a proper 4x4 there a serious and irreplaceable tool.

I've a 2018 sorento.... 37mpg average.
    No low range but has locking dif function.
    I reckon itd tow fnck all regularly really regardless of what it claims it can.

Clutches are meant to really not be fond of a load.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Auto may be a better bet if towing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Augeo wrote: »
    I've a 2018 sorento.... 37mpg average.
    No low range but has locking dif function.
    I reckon itd tow fnck all regularly really regardless of what it claims it can.

Clutches are meant to really not be fond of a load.

We've often put the trailer on the cars here, pulling it is no problem but they were all too high geared in reverse and took a lot of slipping the clutch to reverse it

wrangler wrote: »
    We've often put the trailer on the cars here, pulling it is no problem but they were all too high geared in reverse and took a lot of slipping the clutch to reverse it

I agree about riding the clutch reversing and the same trying to get moving at hilly junctions ect. Any sort of a middling yolk will tow something when you get it moving, it's getting started and stopped that's​ the difficult part. It's a personal decision but I prefer spending a bit more on fuel but have a vehicle that's well capable of doing what I ask 99% of the time versus saving a bit on fuel efficiency but sacrificing towing and off road ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

Has anyone any opinions on the 2L Amarok? What is their towing capacity&MPG?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Thanks for all the responses. A good bit to think about.

It'll be pulling a 10ft ifor trailer of my neighbour for the next while mostly in the summer, mart drops & collections for myself. So I could get away with less so I'll check out all listed.

Yeah....all well and good but as Albert J summed up it's not great to have a yoke that's not quite comfy doing what you need it do.

Augeo wrote: »
    Yeah....all well and good but as Albert J summed up it's not great to have a yoke that's not quite comfy doing what you need it do.

It's only if the hilux isn't available that the trailer is on the car, trailer is 12 by 5 :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

It's only if the hilux isn't available that the trailer is on the car, trailer is 12 by 5 :eek:

You’ve a quite OH
    Lots would be killed for less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Jb1989

You’ve a quite OH
    Lots would be killed for less

Depends if she bought the car herself, if was joint or the husband bought, then foot would be put down as to it being used for farm if needed.

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Depends if she bought the car herself, if was joint or the husband bought, then foot would be put down as to it being used for farm if needed.

Years ago We had to bring the 12 by 5 on the puegeot 407 to the ploughing to collect sheep on the last day, puegeot had some weird traction control that engaged as soon as you started spinning. It got out of the carpark when even some of the jeeps got it hard. The revs would drop to walking pace automatically and the drive go to the wheels alternatively

Years ago We had to bring the 12 by 5 on the puegeot 407 to the ploughing to collect sheep on the last day, puegeot had some weird traction control that engaged as soon as you started spinning. It got out of the carpark when even some of the jeeps got it hard. The revs would drop to walking pace automatically and the drive go to the wheels alternatively

A good car and a sensible wife.

A good car and a sensible wife.

Yea we had the 407 for 12 years, never gave any trouble, some of them gave a lot of electrical trouble,we have a 3008 now, nice car too.
    We'd never have a big load in the trailer, we never drew cattle and have no decks so the full of it was only a ton of lambs.

Yea we had the 407 for 12 years, never gave any trouble, some of them gave a lot of electrical trouble,we have a 3008 now, nice car too.
    We'd never have a big load in the trailer, we never drew cattle and have no decks so the full of it was only a ton of lambs.

Suited both your needs perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭Vittu

Why not spend the bulk of the budget on a family car so it does the daily commute cheaply and comfortably and buy a used 4x4 for the occasional towing work.

Vittu wrote: »
    Why not spend the bulk of the budget on a family car so it does the daily commute cheaply and comfortably and buy a used 4x4 for the occasional towing work.

And possibly a 30 year old jeep if you could source one, vintage insurance on it, milage and towing on a limit, but has merit for a suitable person,

Suited both your needs perfect.

Car is only used if the jeep isn't available, turbo was broke in an L200 at the time we brought the car and trailer to the ploughing

• Advertisement

Vittu wrote: »

This is something I see a lot of lads at but I have to wonder about the merits of insuring, taxing, testing and maintaining two vehicles. Yes it has it's own benefits but I'd wonder about the financial advantages, I struggle too see how it could be much cheaper than one dedicated vehicle. Perhaps if as above a vintage jeep was used then the costs could be reduced but if there's towing or milage restrictions then it may not be feasible either. The vintage vehicle is probably going to require frequent maintenance and unless your reasonably handy yourself then labour and downtime is a real killer.

Advertisement