Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Were you ever late for an interview?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

I was only late once, heading to an IT interview in mullingar, from rural galway.
    i would be punctual to a fault, im always on time, so left loads of time for this interview.

had everything entered into google maps, and headed off, but for what ever reason, i could not find the hotel. i was going around in circles for ages. just could not locate the hotel.

called them, to say im a bit lost, and will be late, it was probably about 30 minutes late.

got there eventually (i was very close to the hotel all the time,but coudnt find it)
    i did the interview, raging with myself for being late.
    anyway didnt get the job

Did an interview for my current company, signed in, they had no recollection of contacting me for the interview.
    so i waited for ages, (i remember thinking at the time, whats the story here? must have been 30 minutes waiting) and then did the interview.
    didn't get the job.

2 years later job came up again, i applied again, got called, they took me on time this time. and i got the job. ( i wore my glasses then 2nd time. that might have swung it :) )

here 5 years and counting....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Had an interview in the early 90’s.
    Got ready and was leaving g the house when I checked the letter and turned out I was 24hrs late.
    Was raging as I fancied the job.

Rang the guy who was running the interviews and explained what happened. They’d had more than 50 people though and were planning 5 back for second round. I pushed my case and said he wouldn’t regret seeing me.
    Interview went really well and I got the job and was there for six years afterwards.

I’ve been interviewing myself now for nearly 20 years and never burst anyone for being a bit late.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Dónal wrote: »
    Walked in late, apologised, was handed a copy of my cv to my surprise. Did the interview, got the job. Still work there (but for the factory company now) 6 and a half years later.
    I think seeing people respond on the back foot like that can actually give you a really good measure of them. If they weren't expecting it, then they're more likely to give honest answers and less likely to stutter because they're nervous.

I rang a guy for a phone interview once. It was really noisy, he seemed to be in a train station and moving around or something. He also seemed a little distracted. He did OK though, immediately afterward I was thinking I'd probably bring him in for the next stage, 60/70%.

Recruitment agent rang me about 20 minutes later to apologise; he'd forgotten to tell the candidate about the phone interview, but he took the call and did it anyway. Definitely brought him in for the next round then.

I don't think I've ever been late for an interview. I'm usually comically early and sitting in a cafe down the road an hour ahead of time, or sitting in my car hoping the interviewer isn't looking out the window thinking, "WTF is yer man doing just sitting there?".

I'd probably let someone away with being five minutes late so long as they acknowledged it. Otherwise being late without a courtesy call though, I'll give them the interview but it would be a big point of concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,967 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I once left a premises without being interviewed. I showed up on time, but they left me sitting in a cold hallway for 20mins. I walked out, and when they phoned me to ask where I’d gone to, I told them why.

Yeh, this "don't be late" usually only goes one way. Employers leave interviewees waiting all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

seamus wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever been late for an interview. I'm usually comically early and sitting in a cafe down the road an hour ahead of time, or sitting in my car hoping the interviewer isn't looking out the window thinking, "WTF is yer man doing just sitting there?".

I interviewed someone once who travelled from Louth to an interview in Galway scheduled for 3pm.

He travelled the night before and stayed in a hotel. When I asked him why, he said it was to make sure he wasn't late. For a 3pm interview.

That concerned me about his ability to assess risk and plan appropriately and was one of the reasons we didn't bring him back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Never late, thankfully, but if I were I'd ring ahead in case it effected the rest of the day's diary. Offering to reschedule.

I was left waiting for an interview recently enough.
    Very awkward, it was a competitor's firm, lunchtime slot, left sat waiting in the reception area for close to 20 minutes. I was wearing a suit (this place had dress down Friday in place) so it was clear what I was there for. The exit to the building was through reception so all the folk heading out from lunch passed me.

I had contemplated advising the receptionist that I was heading off but said I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. Interviewer casually walked down, said "sorry about that", nothing further and then gave me a dead fish handshake. Which almost annoyed me more!

Interview went ok, I could tell they were trying to talk me down in pay and level, at one stage acting BillyBigBalls about something until I corrected him so I thought I was done for then. Ended up getting an offer from them ... as expected much lower than I was looking for.

Told them no and that I won't be entertaining any secondary offers. They called twice more saying they had a better offer and blaming HR for the initial offer. Received a LinkedIn invite and an offer of a coffee and chat about 4 weeks later from the interviewer. I was tempted to accept and leave him sit there, politely declined in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Went for a job as a security guard in London, I think it was G4. I was about 22 and not as organised as I am today. A friend had arrived back from Amsterdam that morning with some extremely strong weed. It was the 80s and the normal stuff we had been smoking was not strong so I decide to give the skunk a try. We smoked a joint and ran out the door to get the tube. The weed didnt really seem to have much of a bang at first but as the tube journey unwound so did I. I had never been so stoned in my life, it was a bit like tripping, I was very confused but also cracking up laughing. I arrived at the destination on time but a little out of sorts. I had to fill out a few forms and then they gave all the interviewees a long questionnaire mainly to do with transcribing addresses and other writing skills. Most of the other people there were not very literate or numerate so I helped a few with their forms. I was then subject to a short confusing interview where I was extremely paranoid and though the interviewer had figured out I was stoned. I got a letter later that week offering me a job, I didnt take them up on the offer.

Went for a job as a security guard in London, I think it was G4. I was about 22 and not as organised as I am today. A friend had arrived back from Amsterdam that morning with some extremely strong weed. It was the 80s and the normal stuff we had been smoking was not strong so I decide to give the skunk a try. We smoked a joint and ran out the door to get the tube. The weed didnt really seem to have much of a bang at first but as the tube journey unwound so did I. I had never been so stoned in my life, it was a bit like tripping, I was very confused but also cracking up laughing. I arrived at the destination on time but a little out of sorts. I had to fill out a few forms and then they gave all the interviewees a long questionnaire mainly to do with transcribing addresses and other writing skills. Most of the other people there were not very literate or numerate so I helped a few with their forms. I was then subject to a short confusing interview where I was extremely paranoid and though the interviewer had figured out I was stoned. I got a letter later that week offering me a job, I didnt take them up on the offer.

Shouldn't this be under the 'Were you ever stoned for an interveiw' thread?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I once left a premises without being interviewed. I showed up on time, but they left me sitting in a cold hallway for 20mins. I walked out, and when they phoned me to ask where I’d gone to, I told them why.

We may have Interviewed at the same place. I did the exact same, waited nearly 30 minutes, then thanked the girl at reception, then walked out.

it was for a second round interview, They called me 4 hours later asking where was I...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

razorblunt wrote: »
    I was left waiting for an interview recently enough.
    Very awkward, it was a competitor's firm, lunchtime slot, left sat waiting in the reception area for close to 20 minutes. I was wearing a suit (this place had dress down Friday in place) so it was clear what I was there for. The exit to the building was through reception so all the folk heading out from lunch passed me.

Exact same thing happened to me before.

Had to ring a bell outside and try and explain about 5 times to the receptionist I was here for an interview with X

Eventually got inside and then they leave me sitting in the reception area at lunch time for about 20 minutes, and exactly like yourself - every bleedin' person in the company walks out past me for lunch. Awkward as fook. As you say, the fact I was in a suit it was plainly obvious why I was there too.

Eventually did the interview, together with plenty of daft questions and all the cliched rubbish, grand, they call me back a few days later on a friday, wondering if i could come in Monday for a 2nd interview and also could I prepare a large presentation for it. Needless to say I declined, had far better things to do with my weekend, and there was no hope I could take leave at such short notice

Another one I did soon enough out of college so i was only starting off in my career

Company were based in an office block, got to the door (eventually - like a maze), which need a fob to access. No doorbell or anything, so have to ring the company phone number. No answer. Email the HR person I dealt with. Nothing. Eventually someone (random employee) is coming back to the office, and let me in. Eventually they find the HR person (while I'm left standing awkwardly in front of the whole office), they come over - no apology - and sit me down in the interview room for about 10 minutes before anyone arrives.

They barely make an effort throughout, and are clearly not even fully engaged when I'm describing myself and experiences etc. One of them then has to rush off for a meeting mid-interview, and the best part yet, I have to do a phonecall with the MD who isn't in the office but wants a chat.

After the call I'm just left in the room on my own... I pretend to be taking notes for a minute or 2 afterwards hoping the interviewers will come back, until eventually someone spots me and brings the interviewer over again, who I can tell is clearly put out that I've called them over again, to find out what the next bloody stage of the process is, when will I be hearing from them and so on. The job was actually a superb fit but I was in truth delighted when i didn't get it 3 months later when they decided upon another candidate. Farcical

These are all years ago, and I can laugh now and would be generally a confident person, but interviews can be very nervous experiences for many, and it makes it a million times worse when the interviewing company can't be bothered to make an effort.

The effort works both ways for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

The wheel fell off the car on the way to a interview fado fado. Took the day to get that sorted and got there the next day. Got the job and worked the full season and called back for more work a year later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Shouldn't this be under the 'Were you ever stoned for an interveiw' thread?

It really should.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I was late for the interview for my current job. The recruiter told me that the place was just beside the Luas line.

Now I should have scouted out the location before hand better, but I got off the Luas and the place was nowhere to be found.

Turns out it was about a 20 minute walk from the Luas stop but I didn't know that at the time.
    This was before smart phones too, so no google maps to look up. I got back on the Luas in the other direction thinking that I was lost. I seen a sign on the street while moving and jumped off at the next stop. Jumped in a taxi and asked them to take me there.
    I was about 20 minutes late at this stage but explained the situation when I got in and were cool about it. Got the job.

I was interviewing and the candidate was a no show. I got word that they were lost in the area and trying to find the place. They ended up being about 35 minutes late.
    They interviewed brilliantly and I gave them the job.

Punctuality is important, but being reasonable about things is also very important.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭Biodegradable

_Brian wrote: »
    I pushed my case and said he wouldn’t regret seeing me.
    That's the difference between me and you. Those words would never come naturally to me in such a situation. As long as I'm able to tell myself that I tried.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

No, never.

Being late for a job interview is a very bad first impression for your potential employer. Years back, I was on an interview panel for a research assistant position in an agency I worked in and one chap was about 30 mins late whereas the other three candidate we interviewed that day were all on time. He did phone to notify us that he was running late but he didn’t get the job. I remember my boss at the time - also on the panel - remarking that if he was going to be late for his interview that would probably give an indication about his timekeeping if he got the job.

I always would make very sure to get to the place about 45 mins early and have a coffee close by - if possible - before the interview. I would then turn up about 10 to 15 mins early at the place of interview. If, and it of course does happen, you’re held up in bad traffic or there has been an accident on the roads or something has cropped beyond your control that will delay you, you should always phone and notify them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Yes, I was ahead of schedule, walking up to the entrance of the building when I got a call from the recruitment consultant to say the interview was in a different office, a few kilometres away.

It was a second round interview, I had a fair chance of getting the job but was really only there for interview practice. I also knew that I had another job in the bag so wasn’t going to waste money on a taxi, so I walked. Fast.

Ended up being 15 mins late, apologised and explained but I wasn’t sure if they believed that I was sent to the wrong site.

Interview was short (30 mins), no technical questions, waste of all out time.

Never heard from the recruitment consultant regarding the role (no response to my voice mail) or the company again. Not even an apology from the recruitment consultant. D1ck head.

Never heard from the recruitment consultant regarding the role (no response to my voice mail) or the company again. Not even an apology from the recruitment consultant. D1ck head.

They don't tend to be the brightest. They forget that what is at one time a candidate i.e. meat, will eventually be in charge of hiring themselves, and they and their company wont get a look in.

Don't mean to derail the thread, just adding my 2c on that topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

They don't tend to be the brightest. They forget that what is at one time a candidate i.e. meat, will eventually be in charge of hiring themselves, and they and their company wont get a look in.

Don't mean to derail the thread, just adding my 2c on that topic.

You are right, I still get direct messages from that recruitment company, they go straight to trash. Mistakes are one thing, but no follow up was the final straw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

I'd aim to be 10-15 minutes early, if you unsure of where your going then leave home as early as possible to avoid potential traffic, getting lost etc. If you are running late ring their reception.

I'd aim to be 10-15 minutes early, if you unsure of where your going then leave home as early as possible to avoid potential traffic, getting lost etc. If you are running late ring their reception.

Yeah, if there's any distance involved or potential traffic issues then aim for half an hour early and go over your notes. But, maximum early would be 10 minutes, any earlier and you've made a deadly enemy* of the interviewer who is going to be interrupted by reception earlier than planned.

* slight hyperbole. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Yeah, if there's any distance involved or potential traffic issues then aim for half an hour early and go over your notes. But, maximum early would be 10 minutes, any earlier and you've made a deadly enemy* of the interviewer who is going to be interrupted by reception earlier than planned.

* slight hyperbole. :)

You're right though, I'd be the absolutely max 10 minutes early, although I'd usually keep it to 5

It's a nuisance tbh when a candidate arrives way earlier than scheduled

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Old statement from a class on planning. You can never be on time. You can either be early or late. All clocks are not synchronized. There can be a slight variation. Consequently, it is best to be a bit early, especially if it is your first meeting. You can only make a 1st impression once, and being late is not a good one.

One of the worst excuses I have received from graduate students that I work with has been: "I overslept." I often work long hours, and all too often have to pull all-nighters to make deadlines. But if I have to be there at the appointment time, they must be too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Black Swan wrote: »
    Old statement from a class on planning. You can never be on time. You can either be early or late. All clocks are not synchronized. There can be a slight variation. Consequently, it is best to be a bit early, especially if it is your first meeting. You can only make a 1st impression once, and being late is not a good one.

One of the worst excuses I have received from graduate students that I work with has been: "I overslept." I often work long hours, and all too often have to pull all-nighters to make deadlines. But if I have to be there at the appointment time, they must be too.
    I can't believe they admitted that! How late were they?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I can't believe they admitted that! How late were they?
    Had one last week 20 minutes late. I told him to reschedule. I had since moved on to other work. He begged me to make an exception because of an approaching deadline. I told him he should of thought about that before sleeping in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

Yup, and drunk, and got offered the job, but didn't take it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Had one last week 20 minutes late. I told him to reschedule. I had since moved on to other work. He begged me to make an exception because of an approaching deadline. I told him he should of thought about that before sleeping in.
    Of all the reasons in the world to be late for an interview, sleeping in has to be the worst. There's just no justification for that.

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Of all the reasons in the world to be late for an interview, sleeping in has to be the worst. There's just no justification for that.
    Indeed. But not the first time I've heard it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭Biodegradable

Had one last week 20 minutes late. I told him he should of thought about that before sleeping in.
    You mean that was the second person who slept in to arrive late?
    I had since moved on to other work. He begged me to make an exception because of an approaching deadline.
    I don't follow? Deadline?

Advertisement