Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Were you ever late for an interview?

Options
  • 16-11-2019 12:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭

It sounds like a terribly irresponsible thing, but in reality it must be quite common. Does it really look that bad if you're just a few minutes late for an interview? If you have to drive say 100 miles to the location of your interview, and you make a wrong turn after getting directions that are misleading, then something like that could cost you 20 minutes. And that might interrupt their whole interviewing schedule for the day. For other reasons it can be quite difficult to allow for how much time you'll will need in order to make it on time for an interview.

I think the best thing to do is to call them and let them know that you're going to be late. That was the mistake I made once. I knew I was going to be late, but I was in denial about it so I didn't ring them. After one interview I had a few years back, one of the interviewers rang me up the next day and told me how bad it looked that I was late for their interview. He said that the only reason he was telling me it was because he had a son that reminded me of him who was also struggling to get a job in his field!

In my last interview I was asked the question of how I'm organised, and I ended up talking about how I made sure I was on time for the interview itself as the example of how I'm organised! Is that odd?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sure, okay

On topic, no I am very rarely late for anything. Nor will I abide people who are late for meetings with me. Their time is not more important than mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

In my last interview I was asked the question of how I'm organised, and I ended up talking about how I made sure I was on time for the interview itself as the example of how I'm organised! Is that odd.

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I once got the date of an interview mixed up so didn't show at all! I know - awfully stupid.

I wrote them an extremely apologetic email, not expecting much but needed to apologise anyway as it was terrible form, and they rang me to come in as soon as I could! They were also really nice about it.

I was amazed - but it was public sector (HSE), a far less likely outcome if it were private.

It was for a panel, and I got a place on the panel but nothing came up.

Being late though would be an absolute no-no usually, because you need to be leaving a good bit earlier than you would normally for the distance you're travelling, and if you're driving you need to ensure your car is ok for oil, water, tyre pressure etc.

However things can occur outside of your control - like a severe accident en route causing a major delay. They should be understanding in a case like this, but that doesn't necessarily mean they can accommodate you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Late for an interview would mean no chance of job if I were hiring

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I was late for an interview before by 2 hours, got lost on the way and ended up getting the job, which I turned down then after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I was never late

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

No it is not ever ok to be late for an interview - unless you get caught up behind a massive crash on a motorway or something. Most people would aim to turn up about 10 minutes early I'd imagine.

I had someone arrive an hour and 15 minutes early a couple of weeks ago and that was very off putting. He was well aware what time his interview was at and opted to sit in the reception area anyway. I understand anxiety about arriving on time when you don't know the area, but he drove over so he could have spent the hour waiting in his car (what I would have done).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Yeah I've read recommendations that you don't turn up ludicrously early either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Yes, once. I didn't get an offer. I probably would have if I wasn't late, as I was better qualified than others who got offers for the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I'm always late, every job/college/school ive had have warned me about been late but I've never been late for an interview, there too important and compeditive to ever take such a risk. Been late is usually a clear sign that your not to bothered about the job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I once left a premises without being interviewed. I showed up on time, but they left me sitting in a cold hallway for 20mins. I walked out, and when they phoned me to ask where I’d gone to, I told them why.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭selfbuild17

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Usually plan to be at least 30 minutes early for an interview, so if traffic gets bad, I can still make it in time. If I don't get there 30 minutes early, I ring to say I'll be late. I have actually rang ahead twice saying I'd be late.
    but he drove over so he could have spent the hour waiting in his car (what I would have done).
    I was an hour early for the interview of my current job; I waited in the car for 40'ish minutes, and then drove into their carpark to be 15 minutes early.
    mikemac2 wrote: »
    It goes the other way too. I paid for a train to an afternoon interview and they rang me 20 minutes before the interview to cancel as the lady was sick and never came in. They could have told me that morning ?!? I never got that train fare back either
    Unless I really wanted a job in that place, I'd see this as a red flag and not come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

I once arrived for an interview, but none of the interviewers were there. They had forgotten all about it, and only for I had the letter calling me to interview, I would have doubted I had the correct day/time! The receptionist was very apologetic, and they subsequently sent a letter of apology.

(Yes, letter! Though email existed, it wasn't commonplace)

I'm generally early for everything though. My late father used to say 'If you are early, you are on time; if you are on time, you're late; if you are late, you'd better have a cast iron reason'.

biko wrote: »
    Sure, okay

On topic, no I am very rarely late for anything. Nor will I abide people who are late for meetings with me. Their time is not more important than mine.

So what happens if someone's being interviewed ahead of you, so you're waiting for them to finish? Do you throw a strop and storm out, slamming the door behind you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

It's a really bad sign for someone but I wouldn't write them off entirely for being late. Things happen.

On he flip side, what I see far more often is interviews not starting on time because the interviewer(s) aren't ready. That's utterly disrespectful. That and not reading the CV properly beforehand and winging it. Happens quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,585 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I worked with a woman, many years ago.
    Lovely person but forever late for work and a little ditzy too.

She was late for an interview once, and when they asked at the end whether she'd any questions, she asked if anyone would give her the loan of a bus fare home.
    She didn't get the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,656 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Yep was late for an interview by a few mins, but got the job and was actually offered more than the expected salary. I guess if they really want you they're willing to overlook it.

The "interview advice" books without fail state it is your fault to be late for an interview.
    A better question from the OP might be
    "Were you late for the interview and still get the job, on your own merit"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,322 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

My first ever job interview I was about 1.5-2 hours late. Got very lost and back when only yuppies and drug dealers had mobile phones - I think I used a phone box to call them but can’t really remember.

Anyway it was for a McDonald’s that was opening a new store. I got the job and a friend of mine who also applied didn’t. Bearing in mind I was so late and seeing the calibre of some of the people who also got the job I still sometimes wonder what the hell he said in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Yes I was. There was after being a bad traffic accident in the area which meant everything was back up all over. Even with my plan to be early for the interview time it just wasn't possible to get there on time. When I got there, apologized and explained. The person signing people in for the interview said it wasn't a problem as everyone had been delayed that morning.

Got offered the job afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Homelander

Collie D wrote: »
    Bearing in mind I was so late and seeing the calibre of some of the people who also got the job I still sometimes wonder what the hell he said in there.

When asked what their biggest achievement to date was - and I wish I was joking here - someone said to me "The day I confronted and beat up my bully".

Used think that question could only have weak answers rather than outright wrong ones until that moment

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

SeaFields wrote: »
    Yes I was. There was after being a bad traffic accident in the area which meant everything was back up all over. Even with my plan to be early for the interview time it just wasn't possible to get there on time. When I got there, apologized and explained. The person signing people in for the interview said it wasn't a problem as everyone had been delayed that morning.

Got offered the job afterwards.

Probably one of few situations where it is ok. That or a family emergency, or just ring first. In my industry, it might be that they are already working and there was an emergency in work so despite being scheduled to be off that morning/afternoon they couldn't get away from their current job. That would actually be a plus, still showing commitment to the job you're trying to leave - but only if they contacted you to let you know :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭Biodegradable

Greyfox wrote: »
    I'm always late, every job/college/school ive had have warned me about being late but I've never been late for an interview, there they're too important and compeditive to ever take such a risk. Been Being late is usually a clear sign that your you're not totoo bothered about the job
    Good God, make sure your CV has the spelling right!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Punctuality is important to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,950 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Punctuality is important to me.

Me too, I’ll always arrive early.

That said I was left 50 minutes waiting for an interview once without explanation. The secretary / PA every few minutes just smiled insincerely and said “ ahhh sure they have a lot of candidates to fit in “... after 50 minutes I was advising her “well I’ve a lot of potential employers to fit in” which I had.. including another interview later that day which I was successful for..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I was an over a hour late for an interview. I didn't apologise for it and I got the job. Never humble yourself for these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Rodin wrote: »
    Late for an interview would mean no chance of job if I were hiring

Its subjective. Say someone is travelling to a 10am interview and an accident happens delaying them significantly, they contact the interviewer telling them they are delayed. They get there at 10.30 and it's a sorry you're late/no job situation? Conversely, if that was the case then it would be the kind of unsympathetic employer I'd avoid like the plague.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭Biodegradable

Strumms wrote: »
    after 50 minutes I was advising her “well I’ve a lot of potential employers to fit in” which I had.. including another interview later that day which I was successful for..
    They could have caused you to be late for that you know! Did you leave before the interview started?

That happened to me too once. Except it was 40 minutes late they were. The interview was in a hotel and I was the only candidate. It caused me to be late for the evening shift of the job I already had... and I was on probation. Got fired from the bum job I already had! By chance I had been given a warning about timing the day before the interview. So they were watching me as I arrived in just one minute late! And the only reason I was late for work the day before was because I got the phone call about organising the interview when I was on the way out the door for work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,950 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

They could have caused you to be late for that you know! Did you leave before the interview?

That happened to me too once. Except it was 40 minutes late they were. The interview was in a hotel and I was the only candidate. It caused me to be late for the for work for the evening shift of the job I already had... and I was on probation. Got fired from the bum job I already had as by chance I had been given a warning about timing the day before so they were watching me as I arrived in just one minute late!

Yes, I left before... that evening the phone rang just before 6pm but I couldn’t be bothered to answer them, whatever their excuse or question was.. what I didn’t like too was the PA thought it was funny... I think if I was a PA in the situation I’m apologizing, informing why there is a delay and offering a refreshment such as tea, coffee or even just some water..

Advertisement