Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting for breastcheck - how to not worry?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

hey ladies,

well im heading back to beaumount it seems. i found my first proper lump ( and it does actually feel like a pea). didn't think i would be going back so soon :( Don't have a date yet as have to ring the hospital in the morning but just home from seeing the doc and he felt the lump too. He isn't massively worried. just really hope i don't have to go for another bioposy. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I got my referral from gp, hermitage rang me next day. I was seen and had mammogram within a week.So glad i didnt have to wait long

got checked out in the end all good. it's just my mass that they found in feb growing. going to keep an eye on it. can get it taken out if i like but i said no. ive to get checked every year anyhow. if it gets to a certain size though it will have to be removed. So happy days!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭geez

Hi everyone,

So I was referred to a breast clinic last August due to a pain in my left breast was seen on the day where I was examined by a doctor and a consultant and they could see no lump or anything sinister. they told me I am too young for a mammogram and I kinda expected them to do an ultrasound on the day but they didnt. I was just relieved to get out of there. Has anyone else experienced this when they went? still have the pain so considering going back to ask they do one just to be sure.. was wondering if it was normal not to do one.. thanks

have you any history of breast cancer in your family? i was just going for my first check up. i hadn't found anything or wasn't sore but due to my direct line of 2 generations of breast cancer i was checked straight away. im 10 years younger than my mam was when she was diagnosed so i now have to be checked every year. bit of a pain but better safe than sorry i guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭geez

Hi no history of breast cancer on either side. I think i will wait til jan and if its still there will go back to my gp. Am also coming off the pill which may be a factor. Thanks fir your reply

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

My mum had a mammogram recently and she said the pain was really awful. She has quite a high pain threshold, but she came home with a bruised and very sore sternum. I know that some discomfort is to be expected, but just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or knows of anyone who has?

She contacted the helpline number, but they pretty much dismissed her as being awkward and complaining for the sake of it, which she's not - she's someone who popped back in her thumb when she dislocated it playing sport and continued to the end of the match! Maybe someone could recommend somewhere she could go/someone she could talk to about it as she's really hesitant about going back for her next check up (she got the all clear, thankfully, so it wouldn't be for a good while yet).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Perhaps if she contacts the helpline again she will get someone else who won't be as dismissive? Was it the helpline in the hospital or a centralised number elsewhere (for several hospitals)? Other than that a visit to her GP to check the bruising. I've only had one mammogram before and aside from some discomfort when your boobs are being squeezed/compressed, it was fine. Once that bit was over there was no pain afterwards and I don't think there should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Daenarys

Waking an old-ish thread but I was trawling boards to find something. I have an appointment next week because my gp thinks it's a big cyst I have and thinks they may do fine needle aspiration and an ultrasound and maybe even a mammogram if they think it's necessary :eek:

The thing is I'm due my period the day after the appointment and given how tender and sore they are before my period I'm dreading the fine needle thing. Anyone know how painful it is, if your boobs are already sore?

First time going, I'm not stressed out of my head yet but I'd like to know more of what to expect. When I ring the breast clinic I keep getting an answering machine..........:(

Daenarys i had to get some fine needle thing for my biopsy and they numbed the area. i didn't feel a thing but because i seem to have a medical phobia i had freaked out anyhow when lying down. Just explain to them that that you are a bit feeling a bit tender im sure they will be mindful of it.

im off for my yearly mammogram on monday. been lucky been so busy the last week that i haven't had time to think about it and im working all weekend so hopefully that will keep me occupied. don't think things have changed for my bocidy boob so should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Daenarys

Thank Mollybird. My appointment is Thursday........ I wish it was Monday now just to get it over with. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,825 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Daenarys wrote: »
    Thank Mollybird. My appointment is Thursday........ I wish it was Monday now just to get it over with. :(

Best of luck on Thursday , have had a few fine needle biopsy's done , easy to say don't worry , but they don't really hurt , all you might feel is a little pressure , from my experience anyway :)

Hope all goes well for you , take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Sister in law was sent for a mammogram by the doctor (she had a lump) - then two weeks after the mammogram she got an appointment for an ultrasound - she had that ( about a month ago) everything fine no changes detected - so she was very pleased. She's just rang to tell me she got a text to attend for an appointment next week.... I don't know what to say to her as she was told on the day everything was fine and to just keep routinely checking herself. Any ideas why they may be calling her back? Any ideas why they sent her a text and not a letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

deelite wrote: »
    Sister in law was sent for a mammogram by the doctor (she had a lump) - then two weeks after the mammogram she got an appointment for an ultrasound - she had that ( about a month ago) everything fine no changes detected - so she was very pleased. She's just rang to tell me she got a text to attend for an appointment next week.... I don't know what to say to her as she was told on the day everything was fine and to just keep routinely checking herself. Any ideas why they may be calling her back? Any ideas why they sent her a text and not a letter?
    I have got text messages from a consultant secretary - new way of communicating instead of by letter. Found it handier as I probably lose the letter and forget the appointment.
    Not too sure why she would be called back - sometimes the results mightn't turn out that clear when they are fully reviewed and they decided to ask her back just to be sure.
    Hopefully it's nothing serious for her :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 klb

I did a check of my breasts after missing a couple of months on Friday and noticed a definite indentation and couple of dimples in it. I saw my Dr yesterday and she has referred me for an urgent mammogram in the mater even though she said she could feel nothing but because my already inverted nipple was even more inverted and the indentation was so obvious. I recently lost over 3st and she did say it might be that. I'm sick with worry. I know I will sound so odd and strange when I say this but it's been a bad year for me and it completely went out of my head to do my checks and in the past 2 weeks I've had the same dream about watching a mastectomy. How do I not worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Best of luck klb, hope the time flies til the appointment for you

Well my appointment came in the post this morning. It's for next Thursday registration at 9am.. I'll have to be leaving longford at crazy o clock.😞 I don't know if I should be delighted or not to get an appointment in a week. Sure I'll find out next week won't I

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Leogirl

I'm so shocked that people have to wait so long for appointments, it must be so worrying!!

I was pregnant + found a hard lump (like the stone of a peach). GP wanted me to go straight to Vincent's that day. I put it off a few days, stupidly thinking it was nothing. Turned out I had very aggressive cancer,3" tumour- which had grown to 6" by the time I started treatment a few weeks later.

I think docs must have a good idea by the feel of a lump if it's likely to be cancer. My GP literally did exam+ before I had my bra on she was sending me to breast clinic .

Wow leogirl. I'm sorry, how are you now. My Dr was on the computer sending the referral before I had gotten dressed. She said she couldn't feel a lump but I notice a swelling that's not soft but not solid either.my Dr is very ah don't worry we'll sort this about everything a very calming person and only tells you the worst after its past if that makes sense.

I'm doing great thanks. Have a beautiful healthy 10 month old daughter now+ at last check, I was cancer free!! I had chemotherapy+ a mastectomy+ am on hormone stuff. I didn't lose my hair+ have an expander in (getting implants) so I look just like I used to, nobody can tell I had cancer. That helps a lot cos I feel completely fine really.

I had an ultrasound, mammogram, biopsies when I went in that first day. All were fine, didn't feel anything. I did leak breast milk on the machine though!!! :-) :-) the first day a drop came had to be that one!!! :-) Dont worry about the tests, they're fine.

• Advertisement

Sorry- I said 3"/6". It was cms!!! I think a 6" lump would need an extra bra cup :-)

Well I had my appointment 2 weeks ago today and felt stupid the way the Dr spoke to me he basically said that I didn't have an indentation on my breast even thought it is very obvious took a phone call to check he was still on for tennis that evening and when it came to him examining my breasts he very lightly rubbed his fingers toward a you nipples and said they look fairly semetrical and I was free to go I asked for a mammogram or ultrasound and and he reluctantly agreed to the mammogram. I only asked because my Dr said I would get one even as a base line for future reference. I now have to wait 21 days for the results to come.

Klb- what hospital is this? I was in Vincent's+ got the mammogram/ultrasound result there+ then. 3 weeks is just a joke. If it was one of the usual breast cancer hospitals then I'd imagine the doc has a good idea of what to look for. It probably means theres nothing to worry about. My experience was the complete opposite- tests+ results came pretty rapidly.

Was in the mater and I saw the Dr for all of 5 minutes even with his phone call.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 memma94

Hi everyone,

I'm 22 and I've been referred by a GP in college to get an ultrasound in Beaumont as she found a lump on my right breast, and I'm also experiencing dry, red, itchy skin on that breast but not the other which is what caused my concern in the first place. This also seemed to concern the GP. She asked whether I would like to go private or public and after she explained that it would cost hundreds to go privately I said I would go public, and she said I would hopefully receive a letter from Beaumont within a month with an appointment date. This all happened yesterday and now I'm wondering if I should go private instead because I'm worried about the long wait. Can anyone advise if it's an extremely long wait for Beaumont? Or if I'm better to go private? I haven't told my mother because I don't want to worry her so I'm not sure if I'm covered by the health insurance at home. I don't know who to ask for advice as none of my friends have been in this situation and I don't want to worry family, so hoping someone here will be able to help. The worry is really only hitting me today, I was in too much shock for it to sink in yesterday. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

If she thought you were urgent you should get and appointment within 10 days (in 2012 Beaumont met this target for 99.7% of patients). Non urgent cases should be seen within 12 weeks (again Beaumont met this for 99.7% of patients in 2012). Referral to breast clinics is an online process and the whole system is well run.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jennyhayes123

memma94 wrote:
    I'm 22 and I've been referred by a GP in college to get an ultrasound in Beaumont as she found a lump on my right breast, and I'm also experiencing dry, red, itchy skin on that breast but not the other which is what caused my concern in the first place. This also seemed to concern the GP. She asked whether I would like to go private or public and after she explained that it would cost hundreds to go privately I said I would go public, and she said I would hopefully receive a letter from Beaumont within a month with an appointment date. This all happened yesterday and now I'm wondering if I should go private instead because I'm worried about the long wait. Can anyone advise if it's an extremely long wait for Beaumont? Or if I'm better to go private? I haven't told my mother because I don't want to worry her so I'm not sure if I'm covered by the health insurance at home. I don't know who to ask for advice as none of my friends have been in this situation and I don't want to worry family, so hoping someone here will be able to help. The worry is really only hitting me today, I was in too much shock for it to sink in yesterday. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much.

I hope you got on ok x

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jennyhayes123

memma94 wrote:

I hope you got on ok x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

If she thought you were urgent you should get and appointment within 10 days (in 2012 Beaumont met this target for 99.7% of patients). Non urgent cases should be seen within 12 weeks (again Beaumont met this for 99.7% of patients in 2012). Referral to breast clinics is an online process and the whole system is well run.

Have to agree with this - if you are a public patient and the consultant thinks you are urgent, you will be seen quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

Getting ready to go to the clinic this morning. Went to doctor with a lump and doctor referred me of to clinic in Limerick. Stomach is in bits, just want to get it over with now.

Advertisement