Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

Advertisement
14-05-2019, 20:42   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlrkjos View Post
Attachment 480282

that's us in a storm a while back, Floatel Superior.
F me!
14-05-2019, 20:48   #19
Whereisgalway

Have you ever hugged a tree?
Thanks from:
14-05-2019, 20:55   #20
SlowBlowin

Hey there again,

Does anyone fish off the platform/rig, if yes have there been any notable catches ?

Ever been genuinely sh!t scared in a storm, if so which one and what was the sea like ?

Ever seen a freak wave ?

As a construction supervisor I assume you have to "Jerry rig" or "MacGyver" something together when needs must, if so what bush fix are you most proud of ?
Advertisement
14-05-2019, 21:00   #21
Monaghan4Sam

Any electricians on the rig? What hours do they do and do they get paid weeks off at home? Cheers
14-05-2019, 21:05   #22
nlrkjos

No fishing off our rig, but some you can. I saw a guy catching a 30 kg cod off the Troll A, they vacuum pack them there or eat on board !
Never really been scared, if I can't control it, then just wait n' see !!! no freak waves, but 24/25 m is freak enough for me!
McGyver stuff, not really acceptable offshore (Norwegian) too much can go wrong, and when it go's wrong out there it can go really wrong. Ive seen production slowed or stopped for the want of a bolt.
14-05-2019, 21:20   #23
nlrkjos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaghan4Sam View Post
Any electricians on the rig? What hours do they do and do they get paid weeks off at home? Cheers
yeah electro guys/gals, they are in big demand, especially if they can do instruments.You work for 170 hours a shift (+OT), plus extra hours are paid to make up 6 weeks @ 37.5 hrs per week. so in a nutshell you get 6 weeks pay for your shift, the benefit is the time off. E.G a pipefitter after tax would come home with 5/6 grand for his shift (monthly pay) but you have 28 days free time...lot of folk I know work for some of the time off.
(2) thanks from:
14-05-2019, 21:21   #24
mickmac76

Do you have to work nights as well. Are you working every day when you're on the rig. Do you have medical staff for out there or would you have to be evacuated if you were ill.
Advertisement
14-05-2019, 21:22   #25
pocketse

Interesting profession !!

What nationalities do you work with ?
Worked on a couple of cruise ships before and full of filipino workers who were working for a fraction of western wage and 11 month on one off. Anything like that on rigs?
Do they fly you back to Ireland each break ?
Thanks from:
14-05-2019, 21:23   #26
nlrkjos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereisgalway View Post
Have you ever hugged a tree?
Not really....but lets just say hugs at homecomings can be "interesting"
Thanks from:
14-05-2019, 21:26   #27
nlrkjos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketse View Post
Interesting profession !!

What nationalities do you work with ?
Worked on a couple of cruise ships before and full of filipino workers who were working for a fraction of western wage and 11 month on one off. Anything like that on rigs?
Do they fly you back to Ireland each break ?
mostly Scandanavian, no slave labor in Norwegian sector. Yeah, flights and hotel, (I have to stay one night on the beach) are all paid for.
14-05-2019, 21:27   #28
alchemist33

Have you read any of Paul Carter's books? If so, is it really like that or is he bullsh*tting?
14-05-2019, 21:31   #29
nlrkjos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmac76 View Post
Do you have to work nights as well. Are you working every day when you're on the rig. Do you have medical staff for out there or would you have to be evacuated if you were ill.
Night shift, I don't do, but normal routine is 75/25 day/night...14 12 hour nights can be punishing, medics on board with very good "hospital" facilities 1 first aider to every 25 personnel also. Medics can fix you up until med-evac heli come, medics are trained same as ambulance paramedics, maybe more so.
14-05-2019, 21:33   #30
Monaghan4Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlrkjos View Post
yeah electro guys/gals, they are in big demand, especially if they can do instruments.You work for 170 hours a shift (+OT), plus extra hours are paid to make up 6 weeks @ 37.5 hrs per week. so in a nutshell you get 6 weeks pay for your shift, the benefit is the time off. E.G a pipefitter after tax would come home with 5/6 grand for his shift (monthly pay) but you have 28 days free time...lot of folk I know work for some of the time off.
Okay so you would work the 170-190 in 2 weeks then have four weeks off? Thanks for taking the time to answer everyone's questions!
Thread Closed